HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Prospects in wjc

Old
12-01-2012, 06:50 AM
Frenzy1

vCash: 500
Blues Prospects in wjc

We are a month out from the wjc.

I think we will be represented well. Who do you think will make their respective teams?

Canada - Rattle, Binnington

Czk -Jaskin

Finn. Lindbohm

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 07:22 AM
Alklha

I think that about covers it.

From what I have read, Binnington has been the best Canadian goalie so far this season but it looks like Subban will be the starter. So unless Subban gets injured, or has a breakdown, then I doubt we'll get to see any of Binnington.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 09:39 AM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
Is Hakanpaa(sp?) too old to play now?

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:21 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Is Hakanpaa(sp?) too old to play now?
Ya. He's a 92' born, you would have to be a 93' born (19) this year.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Schmaltz might get a camp invite, but his best chance of making it will probably be next year.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 02:22 AM
STL fan in IA

Don't forget about Lundstrom. He's got a good shot of getting one of the goalie spots for Sweden.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 03:36 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I think that about covers it.

From what I have read, Binnington has been the best Canadian goalie so far this season but it looks like Subban will be the starter. So unless Subban gets injured, or has a breakdown, then I doubt we'll get to see any of Binnington.
They're only going to play ONE goalie throughout the tournament????

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 05:42 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
My opinion is that would certainly be their preference right now. With the not insignificant struggles in that position for the Canadians in recent years I really don't see them messing with it if their #1 starts strong. Also, I'm not sure the schedule of Germany, Slovakia, USA and then Russia really offers an ideal spot to play the back-up.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 10:36 PM
kfox9611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Thats what we usually do.. The last time a Canada goalie went start to finish and played every minute was Carey Price.

kfox9611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Prussian_Blue

Jaskin is Russian, not Czech.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:40 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Jaskin is Russian, not Czech.
He was born in Russia, but he plays for the Czech national team.

http://czechhockeyreport.blogspot.co...inary-wjc.html
Quote:
Jaškin is currently the highest scorer among junior-aged players in the Extraliga, so his loss hurts. The 17-year-old made a strong case for his inclusion on the World Junior team a couple of weeks ago in a U20 tournament in České Budějovice and Karlovy Vary. There he was one of the offensive stars of the Czech team, recording a hat-trick against Russia in the tournament opener.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:09 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Don't forget about Lundstrom. He's got a good shot of getting one of the goalie spots for Sweden.
Lundstrom has in fact made Sweden's WJC team.

http://www.swehockey.se/Startsidesny...ronornaTeam20/

He's listed as the 2nd goalie but I'll note that due to a recent rule change, teams can now bring 3 goalies to the tourney now. That also makes Binnington's odds of making Canada's team. Binnington probably had the inside edge to the 2nd goalie spot anyway but he should be a virtual lock with 3 goalie slots available. How much either Lundstrom or Binnington play though...who knows.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:20 PM
letmesleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Lundstrom has in fact made Sweden's WJC team.

http://www.swehockey.se/Startsidesny...ronornaTeam20/

He's listed as the 2nd goalie but I'll note that due to a recent rule change, teams can now bring 3 goalies to the tourney now. That also makes Binnington's odds of making Canada's team. Binnington probably had the inside edge to the 2nd goalie spot anyway but he should be a virtual lock with 3 goalie slots available. How much either Lundstrom or Binnington play though...who knows.
That's awesome news.

Lundstrom being listed as 2nd goalie doesn't mean anything, they're listed in order by what number they will wear on their backs, I believe.

letmesleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2012, 02:21 PM
Frenzy1

In looking at the WJC thread with Canada and Finnland, looks like Lindbom is wearing the C. Kinda cool.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 02:31 AM
tfriede2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
In looking at the WJC thread with Canada and Finnland, looks like Lindbom is wearing the C. Kinda cool.
Wow, good for him. In the "Top Prospects" thread, he STILL hasn't been picked, and we're almost at #30 on the list of Blues top prospects. It seems like absolutely nobody on here has even seen him play one minute of a game before. He could very well be deserving of being in the Blues top 10 prospects. I guess we'll find out when we can actually watch him play during the WJC.

tfriede2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 10:36 AM
CarvinSigX
Meh

My favorite time of year. Watch Tarasenko drop to the top 10 in prospects lists after the WJC.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 01:05 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriede2 View Post
Wow, good for him. In the "Top Prospects" thread, he STILL hasn't been picked, and we're almost at #30 on the list of Blues top prospects. It seems like absolutely nobody on here has even seen him play one minute of a game before. He could very well be deserving of being in the Blues top 10 prospects. I guess we'll find out when we can actually watch him play during the WJC.
I think the big issue is that he is in Finland and may never come over. He is playing in a men's league and doing it well. Good size. From what I have read, he is a good skater with first pass skills, keeps it simple, and plays with a lot of grit to his game. It's just hard to place him.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 01:10 PM
tfriede2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
I think the big issue is that he is in Finland and may never come over. He is playing in a men's league and doing it well. Good size. From what I have read, he is a good skater with first pass skills, keeps it simple, and plays with a lot of grit to his game. It's just hard to place him.
Is him being in Finland really an issue? Is this the same case with Hakanpaa? (I don't think so). I think the main reason why he still hasn't been picked by us in the prospect rankings is that basically none of us have seen him play....and he was a 6th round draft pick - our expectations aren't very high. Perhaps he may never come over, and perhaps he may never been good enough to play in the NHL (so it'll be a moot point), but I think a fear of him staying in Finland is premature at this point.

tfriede2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 02:14 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriede2 View Post
Is him being in Finland really an issue? Is this the same case with Hakanpaa? (I don't think so). I think the main reason why he still hasn't been picked by us in the prospect rankings is that basically none of us have seen him play....and he was a 6th round draft pick - our expectations aren't very high. Perhaps he may never come over, and perhaps he may never been good enough to play in the NHL (so it'll be a moot point), but I think a fear of him staying in Finland is premature at this point.
Hakanpaa is signed though. That at least is a step in the right direction. I don't have an issue with him as a prospect. I'm actually encouraged by what he brings to the table. The 6th round stigma gets him too. Blues just haven't had much success pulling folks out of Finland in the past. Aaltonen, Nissinen, Lehtera went home... no history. We had Esa Tikkanen once...

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Playing with Ossi Väänänen has certainly rubbed off on Lindbohm according Jokerit fans. Doesn't try anything too fancy and doesn't lose his man very often. Liek hakanpää, I'd say he's a bot of a project player still. Depending on what the next CBA will say about drafter prospects, I'd expect the Blues to sign him either next year on in 2014 and have him play one more year in Finland. Off topic on Hakanpää, but it seems he's had some injury issues and might also have sat out some games due to performances. Has yet to grow into his body fully and has coordination/skating issues.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 03:28 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

I watched some of the Can-Fin game, Lindbohm wasnt very noticeable, but I will say that he does have a NHL frame.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
Hakanpaa is signed though. That at least is a step in the right direction. I don't have an issue with him as a prospect. I'm actually encouraged by what he brings to the table. The 6th round stigma gets him too. Blues just haven't had much success pulling folks out of Finland in the past. Aaltonen, Nissinen, Lehtera went home... no history. We had Esa Tikkanen once...
And Dave Pulkkinen (or was he rather a Canadian of Finnish origin?). We had a lot of Finno-Canadians in Manitoba when I was growing up.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
I watched some of the Can-Fin game, Lindbohm wasnt very noticeable, but I will say that he does have a NHL frame.
He rarely is but that is a positive.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 12:29 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
Binnington was solid in the net tonight. 2-1 SO win over Sweden.

Last edited by InjuredChoker: 12-23-2012 at 04:43 PM.
InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 09:43 AM
Christmas Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

Subban often will have a pretty bad game out of nowhere though, which will hopefully give Binnington a chance to shine

Christmas Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote