HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton- St Louis

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-19-2012, 11:10 PM
  #51
s7ark
Moderator
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP27Blues View Post
I dont understand how an Oilers can say no. Unbelievable.
History since Stefan says that 1st overall forward selections tend to become pretty good players. Kovalchuk, Nash, Ovechkin, Crosby, Kane, Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, RNH.

I know Yakupov hasn't proven anything in the NHL, but his pre injury OHL numbers were better than Stamkos's. Now I don't expect him to reach that level, but I do think he's probably going to be a 40/40 guy, with the potential to be a 50g guy. Pietrangelo is incredible and is as close to untouchable as any player in the NHL, but imo trading a 1st overall forward + a top pairing potential D prospect like Klefbom is too much, even for him.

I have been wrong in the past, and maybe we'll look back on this thread and laugh after AP wins his 5th straight Norris and Klefbom tops out as a 4th D with Yakupov never surpassing 35g. But for right now, I'd bet that Yakupov will more than cover the gap between Pietrangelo and Klefbom.

s7ark is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 11:17 PM
  #52
tempest2i
You and Whose Army?
 
tempest2i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
History since Stefan says that 1st overall forward selections tend to become pretty good players. Kovalchuk, Nash, Ovechkin, Crosby, Kane, Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, RNH.
You missed a recent one. Drafted by the Blues no less. I'm sure it was just a minor oversight.

tempest2i is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 11:27 PM
  #53
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 15,538
vCash: 500
Pietrangelo is the best young dman in the league and probably already a top 10 dman. Oilers would make this trade and run. They are trading two prospects for one of the best dman in all the league. Also both these prospects haven't even seen the ice in the NHL yet.

Some reactions in this thread shows how much Pietrangelo is under valuedand probably not seen enough. He is a freaking stud, and if I am St Louis hold on to him till he retires. Of course unless you want to trade him to the Flyers.

Easy yes from Oilers
Easy Easy no from St Louis.

Prongo is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 11:31 PM
  #54
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Pietrangelo is the best young dman in the league and probably already a top 10 dman. Oilers would make this trade and run. They are trading two prospects for one of the best dman in all the league. Also both these prospects haven't even seen the ice in the NHL yet.

Some reactions in this thread shows how much Pietrangelo is under valuedand probably not seen enough. He is a freaking stud, and if I am St Louis hold on to him till he retires. Of course unless you want to trade him to the Flyers.

Easy yes from Oilers
Easy Easy no from St Louis.
He's already a top 3 dman.

Mrb1p is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 11:33 PM
  #55
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 15,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
He's already a top 3 dman.
I agree, but I didn't want to push my luck. Some people might not agree, so I went with the easy top 10 position.

Prongo is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 11:40 PM
  #56
PayItForward
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
hence Erik Johnson.

and what is the value of Shattenkirk to Edmonton?
Pietrangelo is going to be much better than Erik Johnson (already is). And Erik Johnson isn't a slouch himself anyway.

The Oilers have Hall and Eberle as all-star wingers. They don't have anyone close to Pietrangelo for their defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Pietrangelo is the best young dman in the league and probably already a top 10 dman. Oilers would make this trade and run. They are trading two prospects for one of the best dman in all the league. Also both these prospects haven't even seen the ice in the NHL yet.

Some reactions in this thread shows how much Pietrangelo is under valuedand probably not seen enough. He is a freaking stud, and if I am St Louis hold on to him till he retires. Of course unless you want to trade him to the Flyers.

Easy yes from Oilers
Easy Easy no from St Louis.
100% agree.

I would trade anyone on the Flyers, outside of Giroux, for Pietrangelo.

PayItForward is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 11:41 PM
  #57
McVespa99
Registered User
 
McVespa99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,623
vCash: 500
I think the value is pretty close as Yak is a potential 40+ goal scorer and Klef is touted as a top 2, but....there are 2 reasons why Stl does not make this trade. #1 is the bird in the hand versus 2 in the bush, The second is it does not really fill a need unless Klef becomes almost as good as P. Which brings us back to #1 again.
The Oilers also might not make this trade depending on how convinced they are as an organization that Klef and Yak will reach their potential or close to it. A top 2 dman and a 50 goal scorer would be a lot to p give up even for P.

McVespa99 is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 11:48 PM
  #58
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 15,538
vCash: 500
What I can't figure out is why people are even saying Kelfbom might become close to what Pietrangelo is now. Not saying Klefbom is not going to be a good defender, but most likely he won't become a top 3 like Pietrangelo already is. Yak has all the potential to score 40 in the league, but franchise dman are the hardest things to find in this league without a doubt. I never understand why any teams trade them away in the first place.

Prongo is offline  
Old
09-19-2012, 11:54 PM
  #59
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,916
vCash: 130
There is so much head-scratching going on in here.

bleedblue1223 is online now  
Old
09-20-2012, 12:38 AM
  #60
Roof Daddy
Registered User
 
Roof Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
What I can't figure out is why people are even saying Kelfbom might become close to what Pietrangelo is now. Not saying Klefbom is not going to be a good defender, but most likely he won't become a top 3 like Pietrangelo already is. Yak has all the potential to score 40 in the league, but franchise dman are the hardest things to find in this league without a doubt. I never understand why any teams trade them away in the first place.
I don't think anyone was suggesting the Klefbom thing as likely, just saying it isn't impossible - which it isn't. If only a year removed from the 06 draft you were to say Giroux could be just as good as the other forwards taken at the front of that draft (Toews, Backstrom), many would have reacted the same way. Not trying to say that validates the suggestion, just that it keeps the realm of possibility open.

What I will say is that Klefbom possesses a very similar skill set to Petro (good size, excellent skating, big shot, physical), but the thing that separates Petro from nearly all his peers is how he thinks the game and the speed at which he processes it. But those are coachable to some degree, which is why it isn't out of the question Klefbom could develop into a similar Dman, but highly unlikely.

As for the op, I think it was summed up on the first page that this deal detracts from an already solid contender, no team trying to win a cup next year considers a deal like this.

Roof Daddy is offline  
Old
09-20-2012, 12:43 AM
  #61
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,916
vCash: 130
Not to get too far off topic, but you can't really teach how someone processes the game and you also can't teach poise and patience. That is what makes Pietrangelo great. Sure he can make all the passes and has a shot, but just simply controls the game and how we play. He's a lot like Andrea Pirlo for any soccer fans out there.

bleedblue1223 is online now  
Old
09-20-2012, 12:45 AM
  #62
KidLine93
Registered User
 
KidLine93's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
More like RNH+Klefbom+1st for Pietrangelo..
The OP is a sure no from a st.louis standpoint. I wouldn't trade RNH straight across for pietrangelo let alone a top D prospect and a first. I take a franchise centre over a franchise defenseman any day.

KidLine93 is offline  
Old
09-20-2012, 12:50 AM
  #63
TopCookie
Registered User
 
TopCookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 150
vCash: 500
value is almost there

TopCookie is offline  
Old
09-20-2012, 12:53 AM
  #64
s7ark
Moderator
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
You missed a recent one. Drafted by the Blues no less. I'm sure it was just a minor oversight.
I was talking about first overall forwards. That is why I didn't mention Johnson (or DiPietro).

s7ark is offline  
Old
09-20-2012, 01:11 AM
  #65
Aceonfire
Connor McOiler
 
Aceonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,248
vCash: 500
I am a big Pietrangelo fan. He was insane in the world juniors and clearly doesn't get enough attention. But Blues fans are grossly exaggerating his worth. If Rick Nash can be traded for a few roster players and a pick, I wouldn't put his value at much higher than that.

And anyone suggesting RNH+ for Pietrangelo has no idea how good the Nuge is going to be. When this kid is scoring 90 points a year these threads will be necroposted and laughed at.

Aceonfire is online now  
Old
09-20-2012, 01:14 AM
  #66
rypper
Registered User
 
rypper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,165
vCash: 50
I'm suprised at the oiler fans saying no. I have to think that with Pietrangelo patroling the oiler blueline they'd make the playoffs for sure.

rypper is offline  
Old
09-20-2012, 01:26 AM
  #67
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,916
vCash: 130
Well this is proving that Pietrangelo is the most underrated star in the NHL. He is a top 5 defender and top 15 skater.

bleedblue1223 is online now  
Old
09-20-2012, 01:43 AM
  #68
Aceonfire
Connor McOiler
 
Aceonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,248
vCash: 500
Top 5?

1. Weber
2. Chara
3. Karlsson
4. Pronger (When healthy)
5. Doughty/Keith

Again, I am not knocking Pietrangelo and one day he might top that list. But as of now he is not in the top 5, and his value is only as high as the team that wants him is willing to pay.

This thread is pointless anyways. Neither team would do this. Edmonton made it clear at the deadline that they are fine with what they have. And the Blues had a very good year, why risk it.

Aceonfire is online now  
Old
09-20-2012, 02:26 AM
  #69
stlblues9
Registered User
 
stlblues9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,333
vCash: 9062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
I am a big Pietrangelo fan. He was insane in the world juniors and clearly doesn't get enough attention. But Blues fans are grossly exaggerating his worth. If Rick Nash can be traded for a few roster players and a pick, I wouldn't put his value at much higher than that.

And anyone suggesting RNH+ for Pietrangelo has no idea how good the Nuge is going to be. When this kid is scoring 90 points a year these threads will be necroposted and laughed at.
Rick Nash didn't get full value because of the mess of the situation in Columbus, also Pietrangelo was a HUGE part of why St. Louis did so well last year and he's still extremely young.

It's easy to say RNH has 90 point potential but Pietrangelo also has multiple Norris potential, which you failed to mention when saying threads like this will be laughed at.

You're top 5 is opinion. Pietrangelo has played better in the last 2 years than Doughty besides the playoffs where Pietrangelo was hurt. He's played better than Kieth as well.


Last edited by stlblues9: 09-20-2012 at 02:41 AM.
stlblues9 is offline  
Old
09-20-2012, 02:39 AM
  #70
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,916
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
Top 5?

1. Weber
2. Chara
3. Karlsson
4. Pronger (When healthy)
5. Doughty/Keith

Again, I am not knocking Pietrangelo and one day he might top that list. But as of now he is not in the top 5, and his value is only as high as the team that wants him is willing to pay.

This thread is pointless anyways. Neither team would do this. Edmonton made it clear at the deadline that they are fine with what they have. And the Blues had a very good year, why risk it.
Pronger is finished, and if he does actually come back, he will not be anywhere close to what he use to be. Pietrangelo has outperformed both Doughty and Keith these past 2 seasons. Pietrangelo was also playing with a torn MCL in the LA series, so don't bring that series up because Pietrangelo was no where close to 100% and it was obvious.

The top 4 defenders are pretty interchangeable for me between Weber, Pietrangelo, Chara, and Karlsson. Each one of them brings something different, but just as great.

bleedblue1223 is online now  
Old
09-20-2012, 02:49 AM
  #71
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Well this is proving that Pietrangelo is the most underrated star in the NHL. He is a top 5 defender and top 15 skater.
Settle down now. Just because Oilers fans don't like the trade doesn't prove Petro is the most underrated star in the NHL. Most neutrals in this thread think St Louis get the short end of the stick here.

Being rated higher than the last 1st overall pick means he's being rated pretty highly.

StringerBell is offline  
Old
09-20-2012, 04:58 AM
  #72
hockeywoot
Registered User
 
hockeywoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: China
Posts: 1,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Pronger is finished, and if he does actually come back, he will not be anywhere close to what he use to be. Pietrangelo has outperformed both Doughty and Keith these past 2 seasons. Pietrangelo was also playing with a torn MCL in the LA series, so don't bring that series up because Pietrangelo was no where close to 100% and it was obvious.

The top 4 defenders are pretty interchangeable for me between Weber, Pietrangelo, Chara, and Karlsson. Each one of them brings something different, but just as great.
I agree. He's top-4.


Value is (more than) fair intrinsically.
For obvious reasons, the Blues are not looking to trade him, barring some massive overpayment.

I'd imagine it would take someone in the tier of Crosby,Malkin, Stamkos, Giroux, to move
Pietrangelo. (Even then, the Blues would have to think hard about it.)

hockeywoot is offline  
Old
09-20-2012, 07:43 AM
  #73
Oates2Neely
Registered User
 
Oates2Neely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BeanTown
Country: Azores
Posts: 8,555
vCash: 500
Yakupov may very well likely end up being a stud top line winger for Edmonton. However Petriangelo is ALREADY St.Louis' #1 dman, at such a young age to boot. Petriangelo is a stud dman, the type of guy you just DON'T trade.

I still think Tambo should have traded that pick (Yak) to Phoenix for one of Gormley, Yandle, or OEL (package).

Oates2Neely is offline  
Old
09-20-2012, 08:02 AM
  #74
Randall Ritchey
TFP Correspondent
 
Randall Ritchey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 10,744
vCash: 500
If the Oilers wanted to make a serious off for Pietrangelo, it'd have to start with Nugent-Hopkins. Then add from there.

Randall Ritchey is offline  
Old
09-20-2012, 08:43 AM
  #75
MPStoEberletoHall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 2,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
If the Oilers wanted to make a serious off for Pietrangelo, it'd have to start with Nugent-Hopkins. Then add from there.
Haha ya right. The Nuge is going to be a top 5 scorer in the NHL soon. Bank on it

MPStoEberletoHall is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.