HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL watching OHL fighting Rule

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-21-2012, 05:19 PM
  #76
Jamin
Registered User
 
Jamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathory67 View Post
So ,just because it was part of something does not mean should be there anymore.The game has evolved so much.Mayb fighting instead should be gone.IF you do not like it then watch MMA instead.
People keep saying watch MMA instead. If I enjoy the occasional fight out of emotion in the game I watch then why would a sport that is pretty much the staged fights the NHL is eliminating be of any matter to me.

IMO that sentiment is no better off then those saying go watch soccer.

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 05:38 PM
  #77
Jamin
Registered User
 
Jamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The majority of the hockey world is playing the game without fighting, on many levels of hockey here its played without fighting, or in the CIS where theres no fighting. CIS is hardhitting hockey, with an ample amount of respect between players, where teams play each other hard without going right overboard and trying to injure each other. So your notion that just because theres no fighting there can't be any hitting is silly. Try watching the Bears sometime and get back to me. Good clean hockey for the most part.


Soon Junior hockey, and the NHL will be the sole bastions of allowing hockey fighting. Shameful in regards to Junior Hockey. Time to slap some indictments and lawsuits on Junior Hockey coaches and league managers. Its deplorable that we allow this in our country.
Dont disagree per se but our lesser leagues a good example. To make the NHL even as a 4th liner you have to have a strong personality, be strong mentally, probably an alpha male type. Whereas playing in a lesser league they are less commited or intense about it.

Im having trouble explaining what I mean. I guess it would be like if you put a bunch of scientists into a room and they were uofa level scientists and they had to debate it would go smoother then a room full of nobel prize winner debating amongst each other.

Hopefully someone gets what im trying to convey

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 12:50 AM
  #78
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
Just a word of warning. Neandarthals don't understand statistics.
They're nice, but I don't think statistics from a time in the league with less fighting tells you anything about a league without any fighting.

There's a big difference there.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 01:45 AM
  #79
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
Bozo Buddies
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
No thank you. Hockey is the only sport I really follow closely and I'd rather watch it minus the cavemen antics. It's the year 2012, hopefully one day the NHL and it's players/fans will realize that and get rid of fighting.

I realize lots of people don't agree and enjoy the caveman antics.
Feel free to watch college hockey instead. I take it that you don't watch baseball or basketball either because of the occasional fight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
So what you're saying is that players already have a disregard for one another with fighting in the game.
Likely a comment that Replacement doesn't like fighting in the game because of injuries, yet one of his favorite players is a big time cheap shot artist who attempts to hurt guys with illegal hits like the one that he posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
Just a word of warning. Neandarthals don't understand statistics.
It's a trade off but I hear that they can spell pretty well. Also just because people don't mind fighting it doesn't afford you the right to call them Neanderthals any more than it affords others the right to call those that don't a panty waist, wimp, Nancy boy, etc. So keep the name calling out of the thread.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 02:26 AM
  #80
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post

Likely a comment that Replacement doesn't like fighting in the game because of injuries, yet one of his favorite players is a big time cheap shot artist who attempts to hurt guys with illegal hits like the one that he posted.

I don't like fighting in the game because its a deplorable disgrace that should be eliminated from hockey. ESPECIALLY Junior Hockey.

I can't tell you how many people I've come across that have had their lives irrevocably ruined by bare knuckle hockey fighting.

These players are way too powerful now and pack a killer punch. If scrambled brains and skulls and a litany of prescription pain killer abuse is your cup of tea hockey fighting must be your thing. Heres the thing. BEING a goon in hockey is a recipe for firsthand tragedy as well as what it inflicts on others. At least its honest, everybody standing toe to toe gets mangled eventually. NOTHING good comes from hockey fighting.

Do away with it already.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 03:28 AM
  #81
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
Bozo Buddies
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I don't like fighting in the game because its a deplorable disgrace that should be eliminated from hockey. ESPECIALLY Junior Hockey.

I can't tell you how many people I've come across that have had their lives irrevocably ruined by bare knuckle hockey fighting.

These players are way too powerful now and pack a killer punch. If scrambled brains and skulls and a litany of prescription pain killer abuse is your cup of tea hockey fighting must be your thing. Heres the thing. BEING a goon in hockey is a recipe for firsthand tragedy as well as what it inflicts on others. At least its honest, everybody standing toe to toe gets mangled eventually. NOTHING good comes from hockey fighting.

Do away with it already.
And hits like the one that Torres hit Hossa with?

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 05:01 AM
  #82
Bathory67*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
People keep saying watch MMA instead. If I enjoy the occasional fight out of emotion in the game I watch then why would a sport that is pretty much the staged fights the NHL is eliminating be of any matter to me.

IMO that sentiment is no better off then those saying go watch soccer.

MMA is not actually staged ,if it was stage it would be like wrestling where sixty five percent is all talk no fight.Also emotions should be in checked and guss what that is the refs and the coaches job.

Bathory67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 05:02 AM
  #83
Bathory67*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I don't like fighting in the game because its a deplorable disgrace that should be eliminated from hockey. ESPECIALLY Junior Hockey.

I can't tell you how many people I've come across that have had their lives irrevocably ruined by bare knuckle hockey fighting.

These players are way too powerful now and pack a killer punch. If scrambled brains and skulls and a litany of prescription pain killer abuse is your cup of tea hockey fighting must be your thing. Heres the thing. BEING a goon in hockey is a recipe for firsthand tragedy as well as what it inflicts on others. At least its honest, everybody standing toe to toe gets mangled eventually. NOTHING good comes from hockey fighting.

Do away with it already.


Bathory67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 05:04 AM
  #84
Bathory67*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
And hits like the one that Torres hit Hossa with?

Well then ,bring torres agin.look the league did their jobs and he was suspended .I do think he should have lost his job though.

Bathory67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 05:46 AM
  #85
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
And hits like the one that Torres hit Hossa with?
Maybe you missed the logic in this but a hit is a hockey play that occurs DURING hockey action and is a part of the actual play OF THE GAME and always has been and BELONGS in the game. Fighting on the other hand is an unnecessary gongshow that occurs between whistles usually by combatants that have no business even being in the level of hockey engaging in fighting that HAS NO PART in the game.

Plus Torres is an open ice hitter. The dirtiest sons of *****es imo are guys like Regehr that slam people head first into boards. THAT kind of play is much more likely to result in irreversible serious injury.

I guess you don't see the irony at all that you applaud two guys standing toe to toe popping each other in the head a dozen times with everything they got with bare knuckle blows. But hey one Torres hit to the head and someone call the cops.

Finally, how many people here had any problem with Torres hits when he was an Oiler? Or say in the playoffs in 05. Didn't see too many complaints here did we?

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 05:50 AM
  #86
blackwater
Registered User
 
blackwater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 964
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The majority of the hockey world is playing the game without fighting, on many levels of hockey here its played without fighting, or in the CIS where theres no fighting. CIS is hardhitting hockey, with an ample amount of respect between players, where teams play each other hard without going right overboard and trying to injure each other. So your notion that just because theres no fighting there can't be any hitting is silly. Try watching the Bears sometime and get back to me. Good clean hockey for the most part.


Soon Junior hockey, and the NHL will be the sole bastions of allowing hockey fighting. Shameful in regards to Junior Hockey. Time to slap some indictments and lawsuits on Junior Hockey coaches and league managers. Its deplorable that we allow this in our country.
don't preach to me about what university hockey is like, i played NCAA hockey at mankato state university in minnesota for 3 years in the mid-nineties, so i know exactly what university hockey is like. and if you think it's good clean hockey because there's no fighting, well then you need to pay closer attention to what's actually happenng on the ice. the stick work, the cheap shots, the dirty hits were much more prevelant than when i played junior A the previous seasons. the lapierre mold of player is very common in university hockey because there is no retribution for the sneaky spears and butt-ends that the refs miss.

and don't get all high and mighty saying it's deplorable and barbaric, and that indictments should be slapped on everybody and their dog who condones fighting when sports like boxing and MMA exist.

blackwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 05:54 AM
  #87
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwater View Post
don't preach to me about what university hockey is like, i played NCAA hockey at mankato state university in minnesota for 3 years in the mid-nineties, so i know exactly what university hockey is like. and if you think it's good clean hockey because there's no fighting, well then you need to pay closer attention to what's actually happenng on the ice. the stick work, the cheap shots, the dirty hits were much more prevelant than when i played junior A the previous seasons. the lapierre mold of player is very common in university hockey because there is no retribution for the sneaky spears and butt-ends that the refs miss.

and don't get all high and mighty saying it's deplorable and barbaric, and that indictments should be slapped on everybody and their dog who condones fighting when sports like boxing and MMA exist.

For one thing I said CIS hockey. Do you need to look that up in wikipedia?

I don't watch NCAA hockey and could give a **** about it and wasn't talking about it was I?

I find MMA disgusting. OK. Not sure what the existence of MMA has to do with my stance.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 03:37 PM
  #88
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
Bozo Buddies
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
For one thing I said CIS hockey. Do you need to look that up in wikipedia?

I don't watch NCAA hockey and could give a **** about it and wasn't talking about it was I?

I find MMA disgusting. OK. Not sure what the existence of MMA has to do with my stance.
Last I checked lots of Canadian players that come through the same development system play there, so are we to believe that Canadian born and trained NCAA players are much bigger offenders than CIS ones?

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 03:50 PM
  #89
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Last I checked lots of Canadian players that come through the same development system play there, so are we to believe that Canadian born and trained NCAA players are much bigger offenders than CIS ones?
CIS is tightly called, no toleration for ******** rules. One fight and players are suspended, period, no questions asked. I've been a fan for some 30yrs attending countless games. You think I don't know the product? How its called?

Its hard hitting action and especially in the playoffs but for the most part guys just playing hard, without the ********(theres always some in any hockey) and without any fighting allowed. Its a great brand of hockey. I love board rattling hitting hockey. Just two teams going at it hard on most nights.

your argument about some of these guys also playing in the NCAA has no relevance. Many of these guys played Junior Hockey but learn to tone down the extracurricular activity because of how the CIS game is enforced.

I know CIS hockey, I don't much of anything about NCAA hockey and can't comment on it.

hope this is clear

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 10:26 PM
  #90
Bathory67*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwater View Post
don't preach to me about what university hockey is like, i played NCAA hockey at mankato state university in minnesota for 3 years in the mid-nineties, so i know exactly what university hockey is like. and if you think it's good clean hockey because there's no fighting, well then you need to pay closer attention to what's actually happenng on the ice. the stick work, the cheap shots, the dirty hits were much more prevelant than when i played junior A the previous seasons. the lapierre mold of player is very common in university hockey because there is no retribution for the sneaky spears and butt-ends that the refs miss.

and don't get all high and mighty saying it's deplorable and barbaric, and that indictments should be slapped on everybody and their dog who condones fighting when sports like boxing and MMA exist.

You can not compare ,two sports where fighting is the objective of the sports.If fighting is banned hockey will still be hockey.

Bathory67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 11:03 PM
  #91
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathory67 View Post
You can not compare ,two sports where fighting is the objective of the sports.If fighting is banned hockey will still be hockey.
It wouldn't be the same.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 01:46 AM
  #92
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
Bozo Buddies
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
CIS is tightly called, no toleration for ******** rules. One fight and players are suspended, period, no questions asked. I've been a fan for some 30yrs attending countless games. You think I don't know the product? How its called?

Its hard hitting action and especially in the playoffs but for the most part guys just playing hard, without the ********(theres always some in any hockey) and without any fighting allowed. Its a great brand of hockey. I love board rattling hitting hockey. Just two teams going at it hard on most nights.

your argument about some of these guys also playing in the NCAA has no relevance. Many of these guys played Junior Hockey but learn to tone down the extracurricular activity because of how the CIS game is enforced.

I know CIS hockey, I don't much of anything about NCAA hockey and can't comment on it.

hope this is clear
I don't know Jack about CIS hockey, but I watch a bit of NCAA hockey. The NCAA brand is a pretty hard hitting brand IMO, you also get suspended if you fight, not sure how much differently things are called, but it sounds like the rules are similar.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 01:49 AM
  #93
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
Bozo Buddies
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathory67 View Post
You can not compare ,two sports where fighting is the objective of the sports.If fighting is banned hockey will still be hockey.
Take punching and kicking out of MMA and it'd be boring as hell, taking fighting out of hockey IMO would take some of the excitement out of it and it won't be hockey the way that I have always known it. Fighting in hockey was one of the major selling points for me, someone steps out of line, you deal with it. There are a lot of less physical sports that those that don't like fighting can watch. Hockey is a great blend of skill, speed, and physical intimidation.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 02:58 AM
  #94
ejams
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 420
vCash: 500
Am I the only one noticing the lack of statistical proof or voiced experiences of those defending hockey fights?

It needs to be taken out of the game. As stated by many others, leagues without fighting have less non-fighting related PIMs, people have been concussed and have had facial bones fractured, TAYLOR HALL went to fight because he was pumped up(that's why there is fighting right?) and was out for the rest of the season, and enforcers are taking up roster spots that could be filled with skilled players.

PS: Bryan, intimidation is not always a good thing. One game I destroyed an opponent with a hip check, fought to defend myself and got the upperhand, the next time I played the team I was slashed in the throat 1st period.
Tootoo gets scared and throws sucker punches if he even suspects a fight, other players slash people in the head.

I've never backed down from a fight, but if there is a 220lbs defender waiting for me to chase the puck into his corner so he can crush me, I can be hesitant. That's intimidation.

ejams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 09:59 AM
  #95
doulos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejams View Post
Am I the only one noticing the lack of statistical proof or voiced experiences of those defending hockey fights?

It needs to be taken out of the game. As stated by many others, leagues without fighting have less non-fighting related PIMs, people have been concussed and have had facial bones fractured, TAYLOR HALL went to fight because he was pumped up(that's why there is fighting right?) and was out for the rest of the season, and enforcers are taking up roster spots that could be filled with skilled players.

PS: Bryan, intimidation is not always a good thing. One game I destroyed an opponent with a hip check, fought to defend myself and got the upperhand, the next time I played the team I was slashed in the throat 1st period.
Tootoo gets scared and throws sucker punches if he even suspects a fight, other players slash people in the head.

I've never backed down from a fight, but if there is a 220lbs defender waiting for me to chase the puck into his corner so he can crush me, I can be hesitant. That's intimidation.
People says removing fighting will lead to more dirty play.

First of all we don't know that that is true, and some have pointed out that based on statistics that it might actually bring about the opposite effect.

However, even if it is true, allowing people to bash each other's brains in intentionally just so that they don't hurt each other in other ways is a backwards way of looking at things. Instead we should be finding other ways to fix the game, not attempting to 'fix' it by making things more violent.

Like anything ingrained into a society, change is slow and painful, but it eventually happens, whether that applies to really important things (like slavery and gay marriage), or non-important things (like sports). It's the nature of progress. The societies that don't change end up in the dark ages.

doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.