HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks players practicing wearing their jerseys inside out

Old
09-19-2012, 09:40 PM
thrillhouse99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
One of the guys did it for fun at first then it caught on
I had fun once.

I hated it.

thrillhouse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 09:40 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
It just means the crest is closer to their hearts.

Now somebody post a picture of a cute puppy and we can all go home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse99 View Post
I had fun once.

I hated it.
Kate Beaton is a true Canadian hero.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 09:55 PM
VanCanucks14

I get what you're saying but the players didn't mean it as a dig at the fans or city so there's no point of getting upset about it. Though Bieksa's comment about how they aren't employed by the Canucks so why should they represent them kind of bugged me a bit. Things like this make you realize that for the players it's just a business. It's much more for the fans.

VanCanucks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Yeah, I don't think their intention was to trash the city or it's fans but I can see why some see it as disrespectful.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 10:40 PM
David Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to David Booth Fan
Rift!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David Booth Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 10:59 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
It's pretty common for NHL players to turn their team jerseys inside out if their they're playing or practicing in non-official situations. It's kind of a humility thing so as to not rub it in the face of any non-NHLers that might be involved.
Ya, that's why I wear pants outside...

I in the Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 11:06 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Everything is about me
Basically.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 11:15 PM
ShyCheetah

Yeah, they really want to slap the fans et al in the face by practicing on their own time and on their own dime so that they'll be in game shape when this impass passes. If they didn't care would they not be sitting at home drinking a beer and getting fat?

Seeing the picture my fist thought was informal team practice. Not a team function so they can do what they want yet showing solidarity with with their bretheren with a minor protest.

Continuing your line of thinking I suppose the players in Europe wearing other team colours must actually be the devil plotting to take over the world. Or terrorists...planning to destroy our entire way of life! Those ********! Are lynchings considered legal if they are the devil?

Shy

Edit also is it not common for players from other teams that happen to live in the area to also participate in these types of informal practices? You'd have no issue if everyone showed up in plain green jerseys (they took the time to remove the logo or got generic jerseys) or mis-matching equitment (like lucic wearing bruins practice gear along side our boys).

Last edited by ShyCheetah: 09-19-2012 at 11:25 PM.
ShyCheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 11:27 PM
vadim sharifijanov

there was an article earlier this week, in the globe and mail i think, that implied the players did this for legal reasons. same reason why when you see a third liner doing a tv ad for a used car dealership, he can't wear the team logo-- it's copyrighted. when a pro hockey player wears a logo, he is repping the team and vice-versa (i.e., different from when you or i wear a canucks logo).

i'm not saying all this is true, but that's what the article suggested. also said the players were wearing the jerseys inside out on a short term basis while waiting for the NHLPA to send new practice jerseys.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 11:31 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th line energy guy View Post
I don't think it was their "intention", either. That's kind of the point. They're not thinking on a broader prospective. If they stepped out of their millionaire-hockey-friends bubble for a few minutes and looked at things from an outsiders point of view, the optics are not cool. Just like a lot of things they have said or done on twitter or in the media.
You have to realize, fans are a 3rd party. Currently the owner of the Canucks is fighting to cut their wages by 20%, and has locked them out from their jobs. No disrespect to the fans intended, I would think they'd expect us to sympathize with them rather than be insulted. I can understand why someone would be at first glance as they should dawn their team symbol proudly, but if you look at it from a broader perspective there's no problem here. They need to support the NHLPA.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 11:46 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
there was an article earlier this week, in the globe and mail i think, that implied the players did this for legal reasons. same reason why when you see a third liner doing a tv ad for a used car dealership, he can't wear the team logo-- it's copyrighted. when a pro hockey player wears a logo, he is repping the team and vice-versa (i.e., different from when you or i wear a canucks logo).

i'm not saying all this is true, but that's what the article suggested. also said the players were wearing the jerseys inside out on a short term basis while waiting for the NHLPA to send new practice jerseys.

I can tell you right now that is bogus, that's simply an excuse to wear them inside out. The jerseys would be supplied by the team, not the NHLPA.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 11:57 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
I'm sure most of you saw this on tsn or whatnot, Sedins, Bieksa, Luongo and many more practicing together with their team jersey turned inside out.

Does anybody else find this a tad insulting? I mean, I know the owners are who their beef is with and I get that. But to me, the logo and name of the team does not represent "Aquillini" (sp?) It represents the fans, the city, the players, and somewhere on that list the owners as well. It just rubs me as a slap in the face to us the fans and even to their fellow players for what they've played for and and played through these last couple of years. Are they not still proud to be Canucks?

1. since they got laid off they haven't been able to afford the cost to get them laundered as often. Turning them inside out saves money.

2. They can't use the logo since they aren't allowed. If anything they are respecting the fans by wearing them inside out. Think of it as "underneath we are still canucks and we luv U, so we are wearing logo we aren't allowed anyway - just deep down. We are just waiting for the moment we can turn these inside out" FEEL THE LOVE!

If they really hated us they'd be wearing inside out LA, Boston and Chicago sweaters.

Last edited by me2: 09-20-2012 at 02:23 AM.
me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 12:06 AM
valkyrie42ca

At least they didn't go out and trash the city we live in and businesses we work at.

valkyrie42ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 12:45 AM
Frank Garrett

Quote:
Are they not still proud to be Canucks?
We are all Canucks.

Frank Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 01:42 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

I understand what the OP is trying to say, honestly don't understand why everyone is being so critical of him.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 01:55 AM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 17 23 View Post
I understand what the OP is trying to say, honestly don't understand why everyone is being so critical of him.
I can see why he feels disrespected, but I don't feel that way.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 02:03 AM
Yossarian54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 17 23 View Post
Because understanding a position doesn't make it any less ludicrous.

Yossarian54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 02:26 AM
El Duderino

No disrespect to the OP, but in all my years of browsing these forums, this has to be one of the most pointless and dumbest threads posted. Players wearing their jerseys inside out is a slap to the faces of the fans? Are you ****ing kidding me? This has NOTHING to do with you, me, or other fans. Newsflash: Not everything is about you. How are you offended so easily? It's frankly embarrassing having this topic on our forum, Canucks fans get enough flack on HF for being overly melodramatic as it is...

El Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 02:29 AM
Hammer79

I wonder how long they will stick around in Vancouver, practicing as a team. Some will be heading to Europe no doubt, a couple to the AHL, The recent draftees to Junior, although I don't know if any were at this practice anyway. How many will just wait it out? Will they skate with their teammates in Vancouver while they wait this out, without a coaching staff?

As for their jersey being inside-out, completely understandable. The players aren't on strike and refusing to play, the owners locked them out. They aren't representing their club until that situation is settled.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 07:24 AM
BrockH
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Does anybody else find this a tad insulting?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
You're feeling insulted and appalled over nothing. I definitely find this reaction more obnoxious/senseless than anything the players have done or said.
Quote:
Just because it doesn't mean something to you, does not mean it's nothing to me....just don't tell me what my level of 'care' should be set to.
So basically you didn't actually want opinions, you just wanted positive reinforcement? Internet forums might not be the best place to look for that, just saying.

I get what you're saying (the logic behind it), but have to say I also disagree with you. I actually think it is really cool in that they are essentially still being Canucks, on their own terms, even when technically they're not part of the team.

BrockH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 08:42 AM
LaVal

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
No disrespect to the OP, but in all my years of browsing these forums, this has to be one of the most pointless and dumbest threads posted. Players wearing their jerseys inside out is a slap to the faces of the fans? Are you ****ing kidding me? This has NOTHING to do with you, me, or other fans. Newsflash: Not everything is about you. How are you offended so easily? It's frankly embarrassing having this topic on our forum, Canucks fans get enough flack on HF for being overly melodramatic as it is...

I love it when people say "no disrespect" or "no offense" and then proceed to make a disrespectful or offensive post. As if saying that before hand negates everything said after.

There's absolutely no need for this big of an overreaction. It's just an opinion.

LaVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:00 AM
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba

Wow. At first I thought you were joking and then I realized you were serious. Lighten up Francis.

Who really cares what they wear practising on there own time and dime.

putridgasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:01 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVal View Post
There's absolutely no need for this big of an overreaction. It's just an opinion.

The dude's delivery may have been slightly over the top, but it certainly is bang on. Insulted? Man, people seem to be desperate to look for things to complain about.

Kids, life is going to be very hard for you if this insults you.

$9 beer, now THAT is insulting.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:11 AM
Reign Nateo

Which of our 15 logos are we supposed to revere and not allow to be turned inside out?

I'm sure they didn't mean anything by it and yes, the facts are these guys don't bleed Canucks' colours like we do, they're paid to be there.

Probably nothing to get worked up about, it's a business.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:26 AM
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Which of our 15 logos are we supposed to revere and not allow to be turned inside out?

I'm sure they didn't mean anything by it and yes, the facts are these guys don't bleed Canucks' colours like we do, they're paid to be there.

Probably nothing to get worked up about, it's a business.
I do like how some people think that the players feel as strongly about the team as fans. It is there job. They are loyal to the pay cheque. Always reminds me of the rock god on stage looking at the back of his guitar to see which city he is in..."You are the best fans....(check guitar)... Vancouver!

putridgasbag is offline   Reply With Quote