HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Reggie Leach admits alcoholism derailed his career

Old
09-20-2012, 01:20 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

vCash: 500
Reggie Leach admits alcoholism derailed his career

http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/20...ge-to-students

Quote:
NHL great Reggie Leach blames his absence from the Hockey Hall of Fame on his struggles with alcoholism during his decorated career between ’71 and ’83.

kmad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 02:46 AM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

He was one of my favourite players during the 70s. One of the rare Flyers I liked (being from Québec City, I was obviously a Bruins fan and Canadiens hater).

dennilfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 03:47 AM
VMBM

He had 666 career points (regular season)!
... and 69 points in the playoffs - a Man of symbolic numbers, eh?

- His record of 19 goals in a single playoffs (1976) hasn't been broken, only tied by Kurri?

- A poor man's Bossy? In any case, the 1975-76 season sticks out like a sore you-know-what

- The word 'one-dimensional' pops into my mind

- Overall, the least important member of the LCB line, but on rare occasions maybe the most important (?).

- Surprised he is listed at 6'0", looked shorter to me.

- I've always wondered about his 'oriental' looks, but okay, he is actually aboriginal Canadian

Last edited by VMBM: 09-20-2012 at 03:54 AM.
VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 06:16 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Actually had the record for most goals in a season plus playoffs, with 80, for a few years.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 07:10 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
He is not the only one who can make a claim like that.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 09:36 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMBM View Post
He had 666 career points (regular season)!
... and 69 points in the playoffs - a Man of symbolic numbers, eh?

- His record of 19 goals in a single playoffs (1976) hasn't been broken, only tied by Kurri?

- A poor man's Bossy? In any case, the 1975-76 season sticks out like a sore you-know-what

- The word 'one-dimensional' pops into my mind

- Overall, the least important member of the LCB line, but on rare occasions maybe the most important (?).

- Surprised he is listed at 6'0", looked shorter to me.

- I've always wondered about his 'oriental' looks, but okay, he is actually aboriginal Canadian
Given the "Tim Kerr" standard, he had a 3.27:1 EV goals to PP goals and was a career +123, (hampered by the abysmal Seals teams he was on, -100 over 3 seasons).....I believed his linemates in 75-76 were Bobby Clarke and Bill Barber when he beat Esposito's record for most EV goals in a season. He led the league in EV goals and tied in SH goals in 79-80.

He was a gunner for sure but he wasn't one-dimensional.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 09:37 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
The Turk nods his head to that statement.....

Old
09-20-2012, 11:14 AM
seventieslord

It is definitely possible that his alcoholism hurt his play during his prime and cut off what could have been a few more productive years too.

Considering he has the two cups and a smythe (which, as far as the HHOF committee is concerned, checks off the boxes indicating he is a "winner" and a "clutch player") if he had nicer career numbers he would have a legitimate chance.

Steve Shutt is considered a weaker HHOFer whose resume was largely Guy Lafleur-driven. But in the same career GP, he scored 150 more points, which is a ton. that's pretty much all it would have taken, if you think they were otherwise pretty similar in resume (does anyone give Shutt extra credit for his three extra cups? He was never close to the Smythe in any of them)

As it is though, Leach's resume is quite weak. Just four seasons with over 54 points. When you say it that way, that's pretty horrible for a player whose game was 99% about offense. Yes, he was pretty one-dimensional. I know he led the NHL in SHG once but that was with four goals, and it was one of just three seasons he was a regular penalty killer.

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Steelhead16

Seals and Flyers were my teams growing up so he was one of my favorite players. Maybe the white skates made him drink?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reggie'sWhiteSkates.jpg‎ (23.3 KB, 22 views)

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 11:59 AM
PointL00kout

Yeah I saw a documentary on Reggie Leach and his problems with alcohol. Sad. He sure had a great shot earning him the nickname the Riverton rifle. Could of been so much better had it not been for his drinking. He did score 19 goals in the 76' playoffs which is impressive.

PointL00kout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 02:09 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMBM View Post
... thumb, hopefully.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 02:16 PM
GummoMarx

Leach had one Cup, was with California during Boston's 72 win and Philly's 74 win. John K. Samson wrote a great song about him on his new album.

GummoMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 02:49 PM
LeBlondeDemon10

The Riverton Rifle!

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 04:05 PM
Big Phil

Yeah, just one Cup for Leach. He was not on the 1974 team.

But the article didn't go that far deep about his alcoholism. It is kind of a standing joke today, but it is rumoured that he was drunk when he scored those 5 playoff goals in 1976 in one game. Or either severly hung over since he woke up pretty much right before game time.

He is not only sober but he has spoken against alcoholism. Not just being an alcoholic but drinking in general. I have read that in another article of his that he advised kids to just never start in the first place. So yeah I think he thinks it hampered his career a ton and I tend to agree with him. Leach had some noticeable gaps in his career. He had that stellar season in 1976 and then nothing noteworthy until 1980. Basically a 45, 50 and 60 goal season and then nothing else outside of that. You could say that being an alcoholic would have messed up his consistency

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 11:07 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

True story (cool story bro)...

A friend of mine, lead singer for a band and the sharer of some of Reggie Leach's issues, went down to the States to play a couple of gigs. After the last show, he went AWOL (off with a girl), and the band, not able to find him went back to Canada without him... taking all his belongings, including his ID. Buddy managed to hitch a ride back to the border and was able to talk his way back into Canada by reciting a litany of stats and stories about Reggie Leach. According to the border guard, "either you're the biggest Flyer's fan in the world or you're from Canada... we'll assume the latter, so welcome home."

He ended up writing a song about it, but although entitled "Reggie Leach", it was more about the incident than the hockey player.

Ogie Goldthorpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 08:23 AM
SealsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
Seals and Flyers were my teams growing up so he was one of my favorite players. Maybe the white skates made him drink?
Could be. If you've read the book "Shorthanded - The Story of the Seals", more than a few of them soothed the pain of losing that way...

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 08:25 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagorim Jarg View Post
Leach thinks he would be a HOFer wihtout the alcoholism? That might be stretching things a bit.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 10:25 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Leach thinks he would be a HOFer wihtout the alcoholism? That might be stretching things a bit.
I think he was stating that because of his alcoholism he didn't perform as well as he could've. He certainly had the talent.

Old
09-21-2012, 11:22 AM
begbeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Suchy immediatly came into my mind.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
It isn't all that crazy. It would explain a lot of the gaps in his career. In 1976 he scores 61 goals and then wins the Smythe. In 1977 he scored 46.........points. Then never did anything notable until 1980 with another 50 goal season. It falls into the category of one of those "we'll never know" situations but had he been productive on the LCB line for quite some time I don't think it is all that crazy. His other two linemates are in the HHOF.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 07:54 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
LOL possibly. I enjoyed reading the Novel Shorthanded the colorful 9 year history of the Franchise in Oakland.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
It isn't all that crazy. It would explain a lot of the gaps in his career. In 1976 he scores 61 goals and then wins the Smythe. In 1977 he scored 46.........points. Then never did anything notable until 1980 with another 50 goal season. It falls into the category of one of those "we'll never know" situations but had he been productive on the LCB line for quite some time I don't think it is all that crazy. His other two linemates are in the HHOF.
I'm pretty sure Clarke stirred the drink and without the trade to Philly Leach would be forgotten for the most part.

That being said his release was world class and without the drinking who knows but there is little evidence that he would have be HHOF material IMO.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 12:18 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Such a good player, shame that the bottle ruined his career.