HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

How to make the NHL profitable again and prevent future lockouts: IPOs

Old
09-20-2012, 02:41 AM
AHockeyGameBrokeOut*

vCash: 500
How to make the NHL profitable again and prevent future lockouts: IPOs

Here's a simple solution which will not only bring even more money to the league, the players, and the game:

Make the league itself and all 30 teams publicly traded entities. Have 31 IPOs and allow fans and players to buy stock in the teams. Additionally, offer the players stock options as part of their contracts - this makes the players part owners of the league and the team. Teams with extremely loyal fans but poor business savvy would no longer be in jeopardy - the players and fans would buy in and attain part ownership of their teams. Thus, everyone wins - the players get more control. The fans get more control. The teams get more money.

Also, the 7% fixed increase is out - accounting for growth, all shareholders with options would effectively see a standard rate of 17-22% per season. Over the span of a decade with correct management of the NHL's collective portfolio, these numbers could climb to as much as 50%.

AHockeyGameBrokeOut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 03:18 AM
DL44

vCash: 133
Very original idea... Everyone wins except the original owners who ivested the massive $$$,

what happens when a player buys stocks into another club?

DL44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 04:33 AM
KevFu

So the popular teams (aka the rich ones now) get more revenues from stock sales, and the unpopular teams (aka the poor ones now) have the revenue disparity grow even more?

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 06:19 AM
GoCanes2013

But wouldn't the stock price on the lesser teams (of today) be lower as well, encouraging people to "buy low"?

The unpredictability of this model seems scary. Can players be traded away from teams they have shares in? Can players own shares in more than 1 team?

How do you govern this? With a stockholder-elected Board?

GoCanes2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 06:30 AM
patnyrnyg

Don't like this idea. Bad enough when a team is owned by a Publicly traded parent company that is only concerned with the balance sheet.

patnyrnyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 06:49 AM
Sureves

Dilution of ownership = will never happen

Sureves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 08:27 AM
Twilight Sparkle

Pretty sure this would be pointless. We'd be back to majority/private owners really quickly.

Twilight Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 09:57 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Interesting idea, OP. It sounds great but could it really work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
Very original idea... Everyone wins except the original owners who ivested the massive $$$,

what happens when a player buys stocks into another club?
Collusion?

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Nine to Five
Now Eight to Four!

So when you get traded to the Jackets or Islanders, not only are you on a bad team...you'll be compensated with options to purchase a struggling team?

Oh yeah, those players would love that one. Meanwhile another free agent signs with the NYR for 7million a year and stock options.

Nine to Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:48 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

IIRC, the NHL governing documents (i.e., bylaws) do not allow "group" ownership as you propose (ala stock ownership). There won't be any "Green Bay Packers" type team in the NHL.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 12:55 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
IIRC, the NHL governing documents (i.e., bylaws) do not allow "group" ownership as you propose (ala stock ownership). There won't be any "Green Bay Packers" type team in the NHL.
NHL Bylaw 34 puts restrictions on the sale of shares to the public:
- the total public shares are limited to a 49% non controlling stake.
- the NHL has to approve any owner with a 5% stake (and again at 10%, 15%, etc).
- purchase of shares in any team are limited to the public of the country where the team is located.
- ownership of shares by players or employees of other teams are prohibited.
- the NHL constitution would prohibit a Controlling owner in one team from owning any stake in another. A Non-Controlling owner is permitted to own up to a 30% stake in one club and up to 10% in two others.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 01:08 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
I'm confused as to why this would prevent lockouts or strikes? Publicly traded companies lockout their employees all the time.

cheswick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Twilight Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post

Collusion?
No, it's called Match Fixing in this case. Collusion is when the parties cooperate illegally. In this case the player with financial interests with the other team will sink the one he plays for.

Twilight Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 06:03 PM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
I don't understand how this would necessarily prevent labour disputes.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Orrthebest

Why would anyone invest in a hockey team so they could pay a margin call every year? Investing in the Rangers, Leafs, Canadiens, and maybe the Canucks would be good investments the rest of the league not so much.

Orrthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 06:45 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

I'm really interested in how this is supposedly going to generate "a standard rate of 17-22% per season".

Do tell, do tell.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:17 PM
NYRSinceBirth

The Economist ran an article recently on this very subject. NA teams (NFL especially) have shown considerable appreciation of late, so they inherently look like great candidates for IPOs. My issue would be a mix of things, but mostly in how the team is run. Your management model would have to be modified to not only icing a good team, but also answering to finicky shareholders when you're struggling.

I prefer my professional sports teams to focus on their sport, not juggling commitments.

EDIT: The article made no mention to lockouts - I don't see how this would help either.

Last edited by NYRSinceBirth: 09-20-2012 at 10:28 PM.
NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:27 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Interesting idea, OP. It sounds great but could it really work?

Collusion?
It's simple - limit it. If Sidney Crosby wants to buy up MTL shares, make him get approval, provide him a narrow window for the purchase and force a required hold time.

Most of the clients at my job are financial behemoths. I can only freely trade in broad index funds (and ETFs) or I'm required to get clearance for a single company - clients are strictly off limits (Unless I give my money to a money manager to works independently and uninfluenced by my direction) .

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Kloparren
Hth

I hate how we spend so much time on here thinking of ways to generate more $ and make them more profitable. Fact is that this league brought in $3.3 B last year. That is more than enough to run and sustain a professional sports league. If you're having problems with that then either you need to cut down on costs or fix the problem (aka the ones not bringing in much revenue and losing $).

The $ could have been $4 B which is certainly profitable and we'd still have these CBA arguments. Other problem is that owners now want "profit certainty" for 30 teams! What kind of a business model is this....how are you going to guarantee 30 teams be profitable? It'd be like 30 companies forming some organization and treating their employees on the premise that all of them MUST be profitable despite half the companies being ****.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
I hate how we spend so much time on here thinking of ways to generate more $ and make them more profitable. Fact is that this league brought in $3.3 B last year. That is more than enough to run and sustain a professional sports league. If you're having problems with that then either you need to cut down on costs or fix the problem (aka the ones not bringing in much revenue and losing $).

The $ could have been $4 B which is certainly profitable and we'd still have these CBA arguments. Other problem is that owners now want "profit certainty" for 30 teams! What kind of a business model is this....how are you going to guarantee 30 teams be profitable? It'd be like 30 companies forming some organization and treating their employees on the premise that all of them MUST be profitable despite half the companies being ****.
The league is attempting to reduce costs.

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 06:27 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Well the NHL is pretty close to a $4 Bil industry, its just the smaller subset of that after some costs are deducted that is called HRR that is only $3.3.

Besides Bettmans lockouts, what has been driving up franchise values? How many more of those will fans stomach? 3 or 4? That might just be enough to get that 17% return for investors.

This would be a way for the owners to raise a lot of money? Why should they bother, there is apparently a much easier way at the moment to do that.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 06:33 PM
icerocket

Oh I don't know...

Start by moving the worthless Phoenix Coyotes to a good market.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 09:17 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Oh I don't know...

Start by moving the worthless Phoenix Coyotes to a good market.
This, and a 50-50 split on revenues.....get it done!!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 11:09 AM
The Shrike

$10 billion Private Equity Buyout of entire league.

All teams run as corporate locations.

Immediate corporate expansion into Quebec, and Hamilton. Markham held back until arena is built to use as leverage against cities that don't want to play ball with favourable arena deals.

Salary cap = 50% of HRR generated by each team, individually.

The Shrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
They'd have to pay people to take shares of the Coyotes...

Gm0ney is online now   Reply With Quote