HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Malkins KHL adventure (All KHL talk)

Old
01-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

vCash: 500
Malkin backhander!

Randy Butternubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:19 AM
mpp9

Malkin goal from Kulemin. Those two look so damn good together.

Game tying goal by Mozyakin from Kulemin.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:19 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornloxor View Post
Malkin scores on the PP.
Well, maybe we can keep him now . . .

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Sick pass by Kulemin.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:21 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Malkin goal from Kulemin. Those two look so damn good together.

Game tying goal by Mozyakin from Kulemin.
Kulemin . . . pffft . . . he had 7 goals last year. Won't take more than Tangradi and a 2nd to get him . . . DEFINITELY shouldn't give up any real prospect asset to try to get him, that's for sure. Yeah, Kulemin-Malkin-Neal would be nothing special . . .

Old
01-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Jeez that backhand. Crazy

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:22 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunitz View Post
Sick pass by Kulemin.
You people talk about Kulemin as if he sees the game as Geno sees it, as if he's got the skill to play with Geno, and as if Geno completely trusts him as a linemate . . .

Old
01-06-2013, 11:23 AM
mpp9

I dont' give a **** what Kulemin's stat line was last year, he'd be dynamite on this team. Debate the value all you want, but if I'm Shero, I feel extra motivated to find a way to nab him knowing he fits our style of play and has natural chemistry with one of my centers.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:32 AM
KIRK

Quote:
I dont' give a **** what Kulemin's stat line was last year, he'd be dynamite on this team. Debate the value all you want, but if I'm Shero, I feel extra motivated to find a way to nab him knowing he fits our style of play and has natural chemistry with one of my centers.
He sees the play develop like Malkin does. He's got the skill to play with Malkin. And, most important, Malkin trusts him in a way I've only seen him trust Malone and Talbot. You can't put a price tag on it.

IMO, the price probably is something like TK and Harrington (maybe adding Tangradi). Burke, if he were willing to move Kumy in a deal where the best piece was a prospect, is going to want one of the chips Shero absolutely doesn't want to move. Maybe it's Harrington. Maybe it's Bennett. Maybe it's Matta.

That said, I'd pay the price, although I think I (and whoever agrees) would be the minority here.

I can't say this enough: Kulemin-Malkin-Neal > Kunitz-Malkin-Neal.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:36 AM
rmartin65

I would trade a lot for Kulemin. Still fairly young at 26, big, physical, and dynamite with Malkin.

Tangradi plus Maatta is something I would consider. What do you guys think? Too much? Not enough?

rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:36 AM
mpp9

He's everything Malkin needs in a winger. Defensively responsible, has the speed to get to loose pucks and the size to hold onto them and make plays. I don't care if he's not a 25 goal scorer next year, he helps get Malkin into the offensive zone and keeps him there.

Last edited by mpp9: 01-06-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old
01-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Kulemin would be a nice addition to Malkin's wing, but let's not get goofy. The KHL is the KHL, NHL teams trade based on what players achieve on other NHL teams (not what they might do on theirs), and Grabovski is not Malkin. Further, Malkin has had "chemistry" with every winger with any sort of top 6 credentials he has ever played with.

If any trade for Kulemin were to happen, it should come at a discount reflecting his actual NHL performance in Toronto. Not his not-so-rare success with arguably the best player in the world.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:44 AM
KIRK

Quote:
He's everything Malkin needs in a winger. Defensively responsible, has the speed to get to loose pucks and the size to hold onto them and make plays. I don't care if he's not a 25 goal scorer next year, he helps get Malkin into the offensive and keeps him there.
So, would you trade Kennedy, Tangradi, and Harrington/Matta to get him?

IMO, if Burke really would deal him for pieces, then that's what he'd want: A stop gap who's scored goals like TK, a throw in who maybe pans out like Tangradi, and a real piece.

As a package in general, it's an overpayment. And, I don't see Shero doing it. And, I'm not sure Burke would take it.

But, either something like that or something like TK + Bennett is, IMO, what it takes.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:48 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Kulemin would be a nice addition to Malkin's wing, but let's not get goofy. The KHL is the KHL, NHL teams trade based on what players achieve on other NHL teams (not what they might do on theirs), and Grabovski is not Malkin. Further, Malkin has had "chemistry" with every winger with any sort of top 6 credentials he has ever played with.

If any trade for Kulemin were to happen, it should come at a discount reflecting his actual NHL performance in Toronto. Not his not-so-rare success with arguably the best player in the world.
We're going to have to agree to disagree about what Kulemin could add to a line with Malkin and Neal (and on a cap friendly deal to boot) and what that should be worth to the Pens.

With respect, I've seen a lot of people play with Malkin. The only ones I've seen that he MAYBE trusted more on the ice as wingers were Malone and Talbot. And, anyone who knows Geno's game knows how important that is.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:48 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

KIRK ... nice to see you again

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Vujtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfnf View Post
great timing to sign in the khl tanger
Obviously that was the pressure needed to get NHL to sign the new CBA. They didn't want the best D-man in NHL to play in another league. Tanger saved 2012-13 NHL season

I wonder if Tanger got a nice signing bonus?

Vujtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Malkin assist.

Old
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

dat pass

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mpp9

Mozyakin from Malkin on the PP, ties it at 3.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:53 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
So, would you trade Kennedy, Tangradi, and Harrington/Matta to get him?

IMO, if Burke really would deal him for pieces, then that's what he'd want: A stop gap who's scored goals like TK, a throw in who maybe pans out like Tangradi, and a real piece.

As a package in general, it's an overpayment. And, I don't see Shero doing it. And, I'm not sure Burke would take it.

But, either something like that or something like TK + Bennett is, IMO, what it takes.
TK+Tangradi are expendable assets when filling in a top 6 slot. It depends who's untouchable in Shero's eyes.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
We're going to have to agree to disagree about what Kulemin could add to a line with Malkin and Neal (and on a cap friendly deal to boot) and what that should be worth to the Pens.

With respect, I've seen a lot of people play with Malkin. The only ones I've seen that he MAYBE trusted more on the ice as wingers were Malone and Talbot. And, anyone who knows Geno's game knows how important that is.
I don't doubt what Kulemin could do on a line with Malkin. I just don't think it's as rare as you do.

I can't comment on the nebulous "trust" issue, but I can say that Malkin has played regularly with exactly 4 scoring line wingers in the NHL - Kunitz, Malone, Sykora, and Neal. Every one has been very successful with him, and I don't think that's a coincidence. I think that is a predictable product of players with a certain degree of offensive acumen seeing their skills maximized by a rare offensive talent.

We should get Malkin another scoring winger. It does not have to be that scoring winger, especially via overpayment.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:04 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
KIRK ... nice to see you again
Don't worry, I've been lurking and reading your KHL reports . . .

To wit, I've got to ask: Who does Maurice think he is playing Geno on the PK and using him for defensive zone draws?

Old
01-06-2013, 12:05 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Mozyakin from Malkin on the PP, ties it at 3.
As I said before, trade for Kulemin, sneak Mozyakin out with the luggage, and the linger problem of who plays with Sid goes bye-bye.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:06 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I don't doubt what Kulemin could do on a line with Malkin. I just don't think it's as rare as you do.

I can't comment on the nebulous "trust" issue, but I can say that Malkin has played regularly with exactly 4 scoring line wingers in the NHL - Kunitz, Malone, Sykora, and Neal. Every one has been very successful with him, and I don't think that's a coincidence. I think that is a predictable product of players with a certain degree of offensive acumen seeing their skills maximized by a rare offensive talent.

We should get Malkin another scoring winger. It does not have to be that scoring winger, especially via overpayment.
Well, FWIW, I was in the camp LAST YEAR that said Martin for Malone and let Despres play (even if that was a risk, moving Kunitz back with Sid would be worth it for the playoffs).

Old
01-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Sick move by Malkin that almost resulted in a goal.