HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Malkins KHL adventure (All KHL talk)

Old
01-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Pigs On The Wing

vCash: 500
Detroit has given Datsyuk permission to stay for the KHL all-star game. Is it possible Malkin may go that route?

Pigs On The Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:55 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definition View Post
Detroit has given Datsyuk permission to stay for the KHL all-star game. Is it possible Malkin may go that route?
I think he'd ask. I also think, given the time difference, that the NHLPA ratification vote won't be done, so I'd guess the Pens say o'k too.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Stecz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definition View Post
It depends on if it would mean him missing camp or not. Ideally, we want Geno in camp to see how he works with our various options as the third wheel on his line.

Stecz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:57 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Hopefully Geno comes back to the 'Burgh ASAP.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:51 AM
SundanceKid

Sadly the way Malkin talks about Pittsburgh and his contract I don't think he'll be resigning with the Pens He was talking earlier about finishing his year and a half contract with the Pens as if he wasn't going to resign...damn.

SundanceKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:07 AM
Giskard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundanceKid View Post
Sadly the way Malkin talks about Pittsburgh and his contract I don't think he'll be resigning with the Pens He was talking earlier about finishing his year and a half contract with the Pens as if he wasn't going to resign...damn.
Again, that was Geno talking to the russian press ...

Giskard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:09 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Geno has always spoken highly of Pittsburgh and us fans. His words I'm sure have just been misinterpreted or have been taken out of context. Plus look at the bro-mance he and Sid have.

I'm not worried.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 05:28 AM
EM71

I highly doubt Geno's going to return to Russia after the next season. There's no doubt he enjoyed playing in his home town but let's not forget all the drama he went through to get here in the first place. He didn't go through all that on a whim, he wanted to be in the NHL, BADLY. And I think he still has goals that he has yet to accomplish in the NHL. He has that drive to be the best, in the best league and obviously the KHL still has a ways to go to be comparable to the NHL in that respect. That being said, I think there's a good chance his next contract will probably be his last NHL contract. But that could still mean up to 10 more seasons of Malkin (including this partial one).

EM71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:21 AM
Kshahdoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
Hm, I've never seen any signs of him wanting to come back to Russia anytime soon in Russian press. On the contrary he always speaks very highly about Pens and says how he misses his teammates and wanna play with them.

Kshahdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:00 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmagg View Post
Club paying takes instead of player.
this is a complete nonsense

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Stad
@Malkin2Horny

Is Malkin back in Pittsburgh yet?

Stad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
You're kidding right? I've never heard him say anything about Pittsburgh except how much he loves it, loves playing with Crosby, considers it his second home, etc.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:23 PM
Acquizitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM71 View Post
I highly doubt Geno's going to return to Russia after the next season. There's no doubt he enjoyed playing in his home town but let's not forget all the drama he went through to get here in the first place. He didn't go through all that on a whim, he wanted to be in the NHL, BADLY. And I think he still has goals that he has yet to accomplish in the NHL. He has that drive to be the best, in the best league and obviously the KHL still has a ways to go to be comparable to the NHL in that respect. That being said, I think there's a good chance his next contract will probably be his last NHL contract. But that could still mean up to 10 more seasons of Malkin (including this partial one).
Hockey aside, just two things.

1) what did you expect him to say about leaving Magnitogorsk ? "sorry guys, but I dont want to play in your ****** country and town, so I'm going back to Pittsburgh take care and cya never" ? OFC he had to be a diplomate and to choose his words carefully. DUH.
Magnitogorsk is not Moscow or Sint Pietersburg though, its a real ****hole, a REAL ****hole of a town in the middle of nowhere, so I think he is glad to be headed back to the US. Here, panorama of that city, take a look, I'm sure that industrial smoke is very healthy to breath.

2) After 18 more months he is very unlikely to go back to KHL, there is a skill difference, I'm sure he likes living in the US more than in his native town, I'm also sure that winning the Stanley Cup again appeals way more to him than winning the Gagarin cup. In the NHL he can learn and get even better, while in the russian league there is hardly anyone to learn from.

The only thing that could make Geno choose for KHL is if he was offered a ridiculous amount of money, like 100m under the table (happens a lot in Russia) to play for that particular team.

Acquizitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:45 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
Yes, which would explain the whole saying how he's sad that he's leaving. But the calculated 'I have a contract with Pittsburgh for 1 1/2 more years' is more concerning. Does it mean he's leaving in 2 seasons? No. Is it concerning as a Pens fan? Yes. Does that mean I'll cheer for him any less? Not a chance. I won't even blame him if he does choose the KHL route.

But to bury your head in the sand and just pretend like there's nothing of concern that somehow Pittsburgh holds a 100% chance at resigning him, is off. The chances of him resigning, from an outsiders perspective, did just take a hit and that's concerning.

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 06:21 PM
SidGenoMario

vCash: 511
Does anyone have a link to the interview you guys are talking about?

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 06:22 PM
GarrettC

Where's Malkin? Gonchar showed up in Ottawa today but still no sign of Geno.

GarrettC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 06:39 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettC View Post
He and his agent have both said he'll arrive this weekend. Updated ETA is late Saturday/early Sunday.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 06:43 PM
KareemTrustfund
Beat it, Grandma.

I wouldn't read too much into it, its not like he came right out and said that once the contract is up he will be back, right?

KareemTrustfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:13 PM
od71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
Does anyone have a link to the interview you guys are talking about?
I follow closely the media concerning hockey, and I say: he didn't give such an interview. I have never read it in his interviews.

od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:23 PM
Malkin112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acquizitor View Post
Hockey aside, just two things.

1) what did you expect him to say about leaving Magnitogorsk ? "sorry guys, but I dont want to play in your ****** country and town, so I'm going back to Pittsburgh take care and cya never" ? OFC he had to be a diplomate and to choose his words carefully. DUH.
Magnitogorsk is not Moscow or Sint Pietersburg though, its a real ****hole, a REAL ****hole of a town in the middle of nowhere, so I think he is glad to be headed back to the US. Here, panorama of that city, take a look, I'm sure that industrial smoke is very healthy to breath.

2) After 18 more months he is very unlikely to go back to KHL, there is a skill difference, I'm sure he likes living in the US more than in his native town, I'm also sure that winning the Stanley Cup again appeals way more to him than winning the Gagarin cup. In the NHL he can learn and get even better, while in the russian league there is hardly anyone to learn from.

The only thing that could make Geno choose for KHL is if he was offered a ridiculous amount of money, like 100m under the table (happens a lot in Russia) to play for that particular team.
its almost guaranteed that they are going to offer massive contract to him and i think its very hard to say no to that. I just hope he likes NHL competition that much more. Its 50/50 at this point.IMO

Malkin112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 08:33 AM
Dupree13

So is he back yet or what? I just saw something on twitter saying that Malkin, Ovechkin, Datsyuk and Kovalchuk were being offered $30 million in cash apeice to stay in Russia. Personally offered by Vladmir Putin at that.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:01 AM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
So is he back yet or what? I just saw something on twitter saying that Malkin, Ovechkin, Datsyuk and Kovalchuk were being offered $30 million in cash apeice to stay in Russia. Personally offered by Vladmir Putin at that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
He and his agent have both said he'll arrive this weekend. Updated ETA is late Saturday/early Sunday.
Hmmmm

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:17 AM
Sotty

Wow, i hope there not more "fans" like some of the posters in here. After all what Geno has done and gone through there are still some idiots who doubt his intentions or character?

Sotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:19 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
I really don't know why people are worried about this. If money were Malkin's #1 concern, he could've taken the Pens to the cleaners on his last contract after he won the Art Ross and Conn Smythe.

Getting the absolute most amount of money possible is not Geno's overriding priority. Winning against the highest level of competition is.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettC View Post
#MalkinWatch

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote