HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Malkins KHL adventure (All KHL talk)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-13-2013, 12:51 PM
  #851
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 41,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koempel View Post
Did I miss something? Thought he was supposed to be in Pittsburg yesterday. Seeing as Gonchar arrived it does make you wonder where he is. I assume it's just all the talk in this thread making me a little bit anxious.
They said Saturday or Sunday. It's still Sunday as far as I can tell.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:56 PM
  #852
Sty1877
Registered User
 
Sty1877's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
If you think money is Malkin's overriding concern, then you are ignoring actual history where he could've taken the most cash possible and elected not to.
As I stated, there are more factors to this than just money, albeit that is a large one. Russian politics, for one. Playing in the place which you lived for 20 years, surrounded by friends and family, is another. Also, if your comment is in regard to his current contract, he's not making chump change. But you're right, he could have gotten more.

If he's not home by tonight, I'll be concerned. I think he will be. For all we know, there are factors outside his control. I just think it's odd we haven't received any word for quite a few days.

Sty1877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:57 PM
  #853
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 25,810
vCash: 500
Kinda hard to get to Pittsburgh when you're handcuffed to a radiator.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:02 PM
  #854
Sty1877
Registered User
 
Sty1877's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Kinda hard to get to Pittsburgh when you're handcuffed to a radiator.
That's just part of "Cooking with Alyonka."

It's a bit different in Russia.

Sty1877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:07 PM
  #855
Dupree13
Registered User
 
Dupree13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,094
vCash: 500
Just because Malkin maybe left a little bit of money (but really not much) on the table last contract (when he would have been an RFA) that has nothing to do with what he will or won't do this time around.

Dupree13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:09 PM
  #856
Koempel
Registered User
 
Koempel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Leuven
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
They said Saturday or Sunday. It's still Sunday as far as I can tell.
Ah, thought it was stated he should be back saturday, my mistake. Still I agree it is strange that there has been no word in any of the media outlets about where he currently is. Maybe that's a good sign.

Koempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:12 PM
  #857
Malkin112
Registered User
 
Malkin112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Just because Malkin maybe left a little bit of money (but really not much) on the table last contract (when he would have been an RFA) that has nothing to do with what he will or won't do this time around.
Yes and this time he will get at least 2x more money than Pit can offer. IMO hes crazy not to thing about that and not the other way around

Malkin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:15 PM
  #858
The Old Master
Registered User
 
The Old Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: burgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Kinda hard to get to Pittsburgh when you're handcuffed to a radiator.
i thought it was because he stopped in n.y. to check out the isle's russian kids for a possable trade. ......hey' i can do this better than that guy in philly.

The Old Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:15 PM
  #859
SHOOTANDSCORE
Registered User
 
SHOOTANDSCORE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Kinda hard to get to Pittsburgh when you're handcuffed to a radiator.
C'mon Geno, cut off the hand. It is the only way.

SHOOTANDSCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:21 PM
  #860
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 41,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sty1877 View Post
As I stated, there are more factors to this than just money, albeit that is a large one. Russian politics, for one. Playing in the place which you lived for 20 years, surrounded by friends and family, is another. Also, if your comment is in regard to his current contract, he's not making chump change. But you're right, he could have gotten more.

If he's not home by tonight, I'll be concerned. I think he will be. For all we know, there are factors outside his control. I just think it's odd we haven't received any word for quite a few days.
He left Russia for the express purpose of facing higher competition in the NHL, and has gone on record countless times about how he loves it in Pittsburgh and wants to win more Cups here. It really doesn't get any more cut-and-dried than that.

I get the feeling that some of you do inventory on everything in your home each morning, for fear your couch might walk off in the middle of the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Just because Malkin maybe left a little bit of money (but really not much) on the table last contract (when he would have been an RFA) that has nothing to do with what he will or won't do this time around.
Malkin was a 22 year old coming off a year when he won a scoring title and playoff MVP, and scored more points in the playoffs than any forward ever other than Gretzky and Lemieux. Had he wanted the max they would've given him the max, which would've been over 11 mil per in '09-'10. Over the course of a 5 year deal, that would've been over 10 million dollars he left on the table.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:30 PM
  #861
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
He left Russia for the express purpose of facing higher competition in the NHL, and has gone on record countless times about how he loves it in Pittsburgh and wants to win more Cups here. It really doesn't get any more cut-and-dried than that.

I get the feeling that some of you do inventory on everything in your home each morning, for fear your couch might walk off in the middle of the night.



Malkin was a 22 year old coming off a year when he won a scoring title and playoff MVP, and scored more points in the playoffs than any forward ever other than Gretzky and Lemieux. Had he wanted the max they would've given him the max, which would've been over 11 mil per in '09-'10. Over the course of a 5 year deal, that would've been over 10 million dollars he left on the table.
A little bit of a correction required:

Malkin signed his deal after the 2007-2008 season, when he had the rough finals but after a regular season in which, in Sid's prolonged absence, he ended up finishing 2nd in the Art Ross race at Hart voting. It was after this, his second year, that he signed his extension.

IF he'd ever gotten to free agency, then he'd have been 'available' coming of the 2008-2009 season, with the Art Ross and Conn Smythe.

Given what he did in 2007-2008, his deal was reasonable and perhaps 10-15% below what would've been market value if he'd been a free agent after that season.

That said, his deal represented a significant savings on what would've been max or near max offers from several teams if he'd hit free agency after the 2008-2009 season.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:50 PM
  #862
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 41,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
A little bit of a correction required:

Malkin signed his deal after the 2007-2008 season, when he had the rough finals but after a regular season in which, in Sid's prolonged absence, he ended up finishing 2nd in the Art Ross race at Hart voting. It was after this, his second year, that he signed his extension.

IF he'd ever gotten to free agency, then he'd have been 'available' coming of the 2008-2009 season, with the Art Ross and Conn Smythe.

Given what he did in 2007-2008, his deal was reasonable and perhaps 10-15% below what would've been market value if he'd been a free agent after that season.

That said, his deal represented a significant savings on what would've been max or near max offers from several teams if he'd hit free agency after the 2008-2009 season.
Ah, you're right. Slipped my mind.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:56 PM
  #863
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Ah, you're right. Slipped my mind.
Happens to all of us . . .

EDIT: We'll know in about 15 minutes if Geno is back, no?

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:08 PM
  #864
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 25,810
vCash: 500
In all seriousness, Malkin is the only guy on this team that is probably in 100% game shape right now and might benefit more from some rest than from a condensed training camp. I'm sure he's got the bumps and bruises you'd expect anyone to have after 30+ games in the 2nd best league in the world. Maybe he's taking time to refuel before an extremely difficult NHL schedule, either on team orders or by his own accord.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:16 PM
  #865
djt153
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 955
vCash: 500
is malkin doing the reverse-letang in that he will be departing almost immediately for the magnetic mountain after spending a few short days in pittsburgh? someone get fetisov on the line.

djt153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:24 PM
  #866
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy
 
Antaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,272
vCash: 500



ENOUGH


Malkin is coming back to Pittsburgh, he is on his way.
He will NOT be going back to Russia, he will not accept some ludacris millionbillionwillion under the table deal from russian mobsters to stay in the KHL.

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:28 PM
  #867
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 31,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post



ENOUGH


Malkin is coming back to Pittsburgh, he is on his way.
He will NOT be going back to Russia, he will not accept some ludacris millionbillionwillion under the table deal from russian mobsters to stay in the KHL.
he is actually IN PITTSBURGH

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:29 PM
  #868
djt153
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 955
vCash: 500
cleaning out his house and securing his stateside borscht supply

djt153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:29 PM
  #869
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy
 
Antaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
he is actually IN PITTSBURGH
Already? Damn, but i read a tweet saying that Shero said he was on his way

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:31 PM
  #870
SHOOTANDSCORE
Registered User
 
SHOOTANDSCORE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,287
vCash: 500
Looks like the authorities have seized Malkin's travel papers. We may have to bring him out through East Germany




SHOOTANDSCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:40 PM
  #871
StoneColdFlower*
El Sid
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOOTANDSCORE View Post
Looks like the authorities have seized Malkin's travel papers. We may have to bring him out through East Germany



He forgot his soldier disguise, so he was turned back at the Berlin Wall, thus missing the plane out of West Berlin.

StoneColdFlower* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:41 PM
  #872
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 31,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post
Already? Damn, but i read a tweet saying that Shero said he was on his way
he got here like 30 minutes ago I think

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:42 PM
  #873
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,508
vCash: 50
the intrepid Shelly Anderson:

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly
Shero said Malkin made it to Pittsburgh but won't skate today. #Penguins

so when the slowest reporter in the world says Malkin is here, its time to stop launching yourself into a bad pastiche of a John le Carré novel.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:44 PM
  #874
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy
 
Antaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,272
vCash: 500
Hahaha fair enough

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:45 PM
  #875
SHOOTANDSCORE
Registered User
 
SHOOTANDSCORE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinPower420 View Post
He forgot his soldier disguise, so he was turned back at the Berlin Wall, thus missing the plane out of West Berlin.

Good thing the NHL maintains a tunnel for just such emergencies.

SHOOTANDSCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.