HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Burke will not go into season with current line-up"

Old
09-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Joey Hoser

vCash: 500
You guys remember when Berger wrote a short series of articles over the whole "clapping seals" fiasco, and he included a bunch of posts from here of people giving him ****?

Good times.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 08:22 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
exactly, the people crusading for unemployed Berger's sources seem to forget that minor detail.
Hes the Leafs beat writer for the National post.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 08:43 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

A couple of days before the start of the lockout Burke basically said they were finished with making any moves and now Berger is reporting that eventually Burke will make more changes when he can. I honestly don't know who to believe anymore so I will believe it when I see it.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 08:46 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Burke says a lot of things, for a wide range of reasons. He uses the media like the talking heads that they are, making everything he chooses to disclose go viral in a matter of seconds.

We all know he isn't happy with his current roster, and by stating he doesn't plan on making any more moves he could be influencing another GM to pull the trigger on a deal that he may be apprehensive about accepting.
if this happened then that GM should be fired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
Which is exactly why no one should ever take Burke's words at face value.
I believe more of what comes out of Burkes mouth then Berger.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Can we please stop hanging on Burke's every word?

Everything that comes out of his mouth (for better or worse) is utter bull****.

Pilky01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 08:59 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
I believe more of what comes out of Burkes mouth then Berger.

Can't say I agree.

Us not being active in the Jordan Staal sweepstakes on draft day (trade front very quiet according to Burke) and then finding out we were absolutely in on Jordan Staal the next day is exactly why you shouldn't take what GM's say to the media at face value.

There's no reason for Burke (or any GM) to tell anyone anything, I'm surprised people haven't learned this by now.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 09:05 PM
RogerRoeper*

I believe he will go into the current season (Whenever that is) with this current lineup.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 09:10 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Can't say I agree.

Us not being active in the Jordan Staal sweepstakes on draft day (trade front very quiet according to Burke) and then finding out we were absolutely in on Jordan Staal the next day is exactly why you shouldn't take what GM's say to the media at face value.

There's no reason for Burke (or any GM) to tell anyone anything, I'm surprised people haven't learned this by now.
I'm not saying I believe whats coming out of Burkes mouth... just that I believe him alot more then Berger.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 09:11 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Can't say I agree.

This is a good point.

It's funny that when you look at it from a macro point of view; the collective voice of the media is usually a better insight than the GMs themselves. I'm not talking Eklund-type media stuff, but the kind of Bobby Ryan, Jordan Staal, Schenn/JVR rumours. You know that when there's enough smoke, there is usually legs to the rumours. Some materialize (Schenn, Staal) and some done (Bobby Ryan).

I believe that there are certainly legs to all the rumours that Burke is trying to make a big acquisition or two to fill the obvious holes we have. But it doesn't really matter unless they happen!

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 09:11 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Can't say I agree.

If Burke was "In" on Staal, it wasn't very serious.

Old
09-20-2012, 09:13 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
I believe he will go into the current season (Whenever that is) with this current lineup.
I agree. But simply for the fact that there won't be anything going down during the lockout and that once it does get resolved, they will quickly try and salvage as many games a possible and time won't allow for many moves before the first game.

I'm actually willing to bet that, if the lockout runs into the regular season (which i think it will), that just about every team will open their season with the roster they currently have (aside from minor moves).

Old
09-20-2012, 09:14 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
He acknowledged that he was in on him, but like every team other than CAR it wasn't worth much as the writing was on the wall (him going to CAR on July 1).

Old
09-20-2012, 09:16 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
If he was trying to obtain that caliber of a player it was serious IMO. We simply had no Staal brother, so no guarantee Jordan would have re-upped here.

Old
09-20-2012, 09:22 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
If he was trying to obtain that caliber of a player it was serious IMO. We simply had no Staal brother, so no guarantee Jordan would have re-upped here.
In reality then there was no chance of getting him.

Old
09-20-2012, 09:23 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
I agree. But simply for the fact that there won't be anything going down during the lockout and that once it does get resolved, they will quickly try and salvage as many games a possible and time won't allow for many moves before the first game.

I'm actually willing to bet that, if the lockout runs into the regular season (which i think it will), that just about every team will open their season with the roster they currently have (aside from minor moves).
Yup. Burke's time to make moves will be next summer. The Leafs have a terrific cap situation and Burke will need to make some bold moves going into his last contract year.

Old
09-20-2012, 09:23 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
In reality then there was no chance of getting him.
Once we found out Jordan really only wanted to hold Eric's hand, I agree.

Old
09-20-2012, 09:25 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Whenever I hear Burke say things are quiet or we're going to stand pat he's actually much more active in pursuit of something.

Old
09-20-2012, 09:34 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Once we found out Jordan really only wanted to hold Eric's hand, I agree.
I really hope Jordan keeps holding Eric's hand everytime he visits the ACC. It will make for one less Wrist shot to look out for.

Last edited by charliolemieux: 09-20-2012 at 09:36 PM. Reason: I'm a dumb ass
charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Drew311
Play Me

From Berger's Blog:

Quote:
TORONTO (Sep. 20) – For Brian Burke, the summer of 2012 has been all about tempering expectation. The Maple Leafs’ general manager made a couple of modest additions and suggested – rather strongly – that no further altering will be done.

That isn’t so, according to an Eastern Conference rival.

“From my standpoint, Brian is poised to make at least one prime acquisition… possibly two,” said the fellow executive. “I think – like many of us – he is waiting to see the lay of the land once a new Collective Bargaining Agreement is in place. *He’s been very involved in trying to improve his goaltending and I can tell you that he’s determined to add a big player up front. I’ll be quite surprised, as will many of my colleagues, if he goes into the next hockey season without a significant upgrade.”
Quote:
Despite his temperate remarks – none of which have been persuasive – Burke knows better than anyone that his foundering club cannot be salvaged by James van Riemsdyk and Jay McClement. Only the NHL’s most loyal/least-demanding fans would believe otherwise. Leafs were so far down the pike in the latter portion of the 2011-12 schedule that only a drastic measure can spark a turnaround. Until recently, bold maneuvering had been the hallmark of Burke’s career in the NHL. I don’t believe he’s abandoned that pursuit; nor does the individual I spoke with earlier today.

That’s why I firmly contend that, once the smoke clears, Roberto Luongo will be in a Toronto uniform. Burke may believe – as I do – in James Reimer but he cannot afford another misstep between the pipes. Luongo provides the quickest and best opportunity for Leafs to end their playoff drought before it encompasses an entire decade. Once the labor dispute is resolved and the 2012-13 season becomes a reality, Mike Gillis will no longer have the luxury of pursuing a king’s ransom for his No. 2 netminder. If the new CBA, as many anticipate, contains an amnesty clause – allowing teams to discard an onerous contract without cap constraint – acquiring Luongo will be a minimal risk.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:56 PM
67Cup

Burke will certainly not feel constrained by any of his previous statements if and when the lockout ends. He will make trades or sign players if he can. I think most GM's will try to improve their teams at that point, so Burke will not be unusual in that respect. I expect there will be a flurry of trades and signings when the current labour troubles are eventually resolved. Previous statements will be "inoperative,"

Howard Berger rode the short bus to school as a kid. There are nastier reporters, more connected reporters, more experienced reporters but in the Toronto market our Howie takes the cake for sheer, unadulterated stupidity. Nobody should pay any attention to him ever.

67Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:58 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cup View Post
Burke will certainly not feel constrained by any of his previous statements if and when the lockout ends. He will make trades or sign players if he can. I think most GM's will try to improve their teams at that point, so Burke will not be unusual in that respect. I expect there will be a flurry of trades and signings when the current labour troubles are eventually resolved. Previous statements will be "inoperative,"
Best examples of how he said Ron Wilson won't be fired and that changed, then most recently saying how Allaire was the best Goalie coach and will stay with the Leafs and now his opinion about him has changed.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Eb
TML

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
komisarek

for

dipietro

CALLING IT RIGHT NOW
I Lol'd

Eb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 02:22 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
I think this will be the case as well.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 02:23 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Best examples of how he said Ron Wilson won't be fired and that changed, then most recently saying how Allaire was the best Goalie coach and will stay with the Leafs and now his opinion about him has changed.
Burke also said he would change everything before a head coach.
He did do this.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 04:34 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

I don't see how any of this is so far fetched. It's not like Burke has been here for 3 years, and done nothing the entire time.

The ****ing think tank that exists here. The guys that bring out the same dumb ass, canned comments, need to be culled. This place becomes unreadable because of that ****.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote