HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Burke will not go into season with current line-up"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-21-2012, 08:55 PM
  #126
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
i agree that anything could happen. a player might want to explore a bigger market, move back to Canada, or maybe turn over a new leaf. in my experience in following the goings on of UFA's and the trade market i've seen many re-sign with the teams they originally were drafted by. my jaw hit the floor when i heard that Nash re-signed with CBJ (it's only until recent that Nash realized he wanted out).

all 30 teams have a shot (if they reach their UFA status), but i give ANA the best odds a re-signing those 2 hot commodities.
I don't. They have a bottom 5 team in terms of revenue. I can't see them being able to afford 2 100+ million contracts.

And if one is going to leave, chances are the other will, and Selanne will retire.

Right now I think both leave Anaheim.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 08:56 PM
  #127
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
if toronto had a former league MVP and a top 15 center would they let them go to free agency?
Toronto can afford to give out 200 million to 2 players. Can Anaheim?

In all your comments about why would Anaheim let them go and why would they leave Anaheim? Money is not mentioned.


Last edited by RogerRoeper*: 09-21-2012 at 09:06 PM.
RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 08:59 PM
  #128
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
It's going to be Bobby Ryan.

I'm sticking with the insider info John Shannon provided in the spring.

Lets be serious people. How in the heck is Burke going to land Getz and Perry before ANA re-signs them? It's just not practical to think that they will just come to TO. Bobby Ryan on the other hand is more expendable and will never be ANA's 1C or top winger.
If Anaheim is feeling that can't keep Getzlaf and Perry, Ryan is off the market. And Ryan has recently backpeddled from his earlier criticisms.

Given contractual situations, Ryan makes more sense to keep than Getzlaf and Perry.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 09:11 PM
  #129
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Toronto can afford to give out 200 million to 2 players. Can Anaheim?

In all your comments about why would Anaheim let them go and why would they leave Anaheim? Money is not mentioned.
how can you say that? what? i thought for sure there was a cap. isn't there a circumvention issue going on too? where did you get that outrageous number? do you sit on the board of gov?

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 09:13 PM
  #130
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
I don't. They have a bottom 5 team in terms of revenue. I can't see them being able to afford 2 100+ million contracts.

And if one is going to leave, chances are the other will, and Selanne will retire.

Right now I think both leave Anaheim.
with that logic how in the world will Minn. be able to land Zach Parise and Suter?

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 09:15 PM
  #131
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
how can you say that? what? i thought for sure there was a cap. isn't there a circumvention issue going on too? where did you get that outrageous number? do you sit on the board of gov?
You don't think Getzlaf and Perry at the peak of their careers, age-wise, will demand 100+ million each from Anaheim? Of course they will.

Suter and Parise just got that at the same age on the open market.

The Leafs are in a terrific situation going into next summer with their salary cap.

Anaheim is in a different situation as they can't afford to spend to the cap right now. They are not in the Leafs league from a financial standpoint.

If you think Getzlaf and Perry will give Anaheim some massive hometown discount you're dreaming.

I'm not saying the Leafs will sign them, but I am saying the two will get massive contracts that Anaheim just can't afford as they have very small revenue streams.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 09:21 PM
  #132
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
You don't think Getzlaf and Perry at the peak of their careers, age-wise, will demand 100+ million each from Anaheim? Of course they will.

Suter and Parise just got that at the same age on the open market.

The Leafs are in a terrific situation going into next summer with their salary cap.

Anaheim is in a different situation as they can't afford to spend to the cap right now. They are not in the Leafs league from a financial standpoint.

If you think Getzlaf and Perry will give Anaheim some massive hometown discount you're dreaming.
you're probably right, but Suter is crazy overpaid. it's possible that Getz could get that much from Toronto, but will 10 year 10million dollar contracts be handed out by Burke and the league (post-lockout)? Burke could actually work against Toronto landing those guys if he's not offering retirement contracts.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 09:22 PM
  #133
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
you're probably right, but Suter is crazy overpaid. it's possible that Getz could get that much from Toronto, but will 10 year 10million dollar contracts be handed out by Burke and the league (post-lockout)? Burke could actually work against Toronto landing those guys if he's not offering retirement contracts.
He is, but that's the market.

And Burke not giving out those deals is silly.But if there's ever a time he has to go for it and spend, it will be next July.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 09:36 PM
  #134
TieClark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
He is, but that's the market.

And Burke not giving out those deals is silly.But if there's ever a time he has to go for it and spend, it will be next July.
It's not silly at all.. it's the reason we aren't going to be watching hockey this year

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 09:37 PM
  #135
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 61,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
You don't think Getzlaf and Perry at the peak of their careers, age-wise, will demand 100+ million each from Anaheim? Of course they will.

Suter and Parise just got that at the same age on the open market.

The Leafs are in a terrific situation going into next summer with their salary cap.

Anaheim is in a different situation as they can't afford to spend to the cap right now. They are not in the Leafs league from a financial standpoint.

If you think Getzlaf and Perry will give Anaheim some massive hometown discount you're dreaming.

I'm not saying the Leafs will sign them, but I am saying the two will get massive contracts that Anaheim just can't afford as they have very small revenue streams.
Anaheim players got Randy Carlyle fired by no longer playing for him. Perry and Getzlaf contributed to that outcome so coming to play for TO might be a factor in their decision, since he is now our coach.

__________________
Signature: There is no greater demonstration of Fan patience then to suggest to "Play the Kids " and be willing to accept the consequences of those actions..
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 09:39 PM
  #136
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
It's not silly at all.. it's the reason we aren't going to be watching hockey this year
They're the Toronto Maple Leafs. The richest team in the NHL. They should be going after the top free agents. But Burke isn't even trying. This "Nothing Past 5 Years" is hurting this franchise. They can always make a big profit and spend to the cap.

They're not taking advantage of their financial situation and it's an insult to the fanbase.

And I believe there will be hockey this season (Not calender year). By January hockey will start. The overall 57% of revenues by players' salaries is why we're in a lockout.


Last edited by RogerRoeper*: 09-21-2012 at 09:46 PM.
RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 09:40 PM
  #137
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Anaheim players got Randy Carlyle fired by no longer playing for him. Perry and Getzlaf contributed to that outcome so coming to play for TO might be a factor in their decision, since he is now our coach.
I agree with this.

An Obscene amount of money might make them ok playing with Carlyle again.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 10:07 PM
  #138
Drew311
Bustlander
 
Drew311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
I agree with this.

An Obscene amount of money might make them ok playing with Carlyle again.
I think the new CBA will put an end to teams coughing up obscene amounts of money to star free agents.

There has been talk of 5 - 7 year maximum contracts, and they may put lower restrictions on the amount of salary a player can make per season. If so, this would level out the playing field on July 1st considering most teams can afford to offer Perry and Getzlaf 7 year deals at 8 million per season. It would be a scenario where the free agents will have 20 teams to choose from offering essentially the same contract structure. The players decision would then come down to other factors such as team success, quality of city, coaching staff, taxes, etc.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 10:20 PM
  #139
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,223
vCash: 500
I remember an interview early in the year with Poulin where he said he was surprised by the names they were hearing are available. Suggesting Burke might still get something done isn't some big revelation.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 10:21 PM
  #140
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,223
vCash: 500
Also, remember the possibility to trade cash in deals (something Burke has been pushing for), could be in the new CBA. That could be something Burke is waiting for, to make a deal.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 10:51 PM
  #141
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,686
vCash: 500
Here's something to consider...

The NHL proposal for the new cap was in the high 50s IIRC. The PA proposal was in the mid 60s. If the cap ends up at $62-$63m without a rollback (something the players don't seem down with, and the owners haven't asked/pushed for), there will be 10 teams over the cap, Toronto included.

That being said, with such a large decrease in availability of cap space, a round of compliance buyouts (not subject to cap penalty), and/or removal of past buyouts on the cap, certainly seems to be within the realm of possibility, as it doesn't seem to hurt anyone. Between Tucker, Armstrong & Lombardi, that's $5.5m, without materially impacting the team. If you add Komisarek/Connolly to that mix, you start creating holes in the team (specifically on the D), but are left with upwards of $14m in space to work with.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 11:46 PM
  #142
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 56,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
They're the Toronto Maple Leafs. The richest team in the NHL. They should be going after the top free agents. But Burke isn't even trying. This "Nothing Past 5 Years" is hurting this franchise. They can always make a big profit and spend to the cap.

They're not taking advantage of their financial situation and it's an insult to the fanbase.

And I believe there will be hockey this season (Not calender year). By January hockey will start. The overall 57% of revenues by players' salaries is why we're in a lockout.
Owners have done a great job misleading with that 57% of revenue propaganda.

It is Hockey Related Revenues minus expenses.

The definition of Revenue does not include expenses, whereas the term HRR includes expenses.

/rant

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 11:47 PM
  #143
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 56,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I think the new CBA will put an end to teams coughing up obscene amounts of money to star free agents.

There has been talk of 5 - 7 year maximum contracts, and they may put lower restrictions on the amount of salary a player can make per season. If so, this would level out the playing field on July 1st considering most teams can afford to offer Perry and Getzlaf 7 year deals at 8 million per season. It would be a scenario where the free agents will have 20 teams to choose from offering essentially the same contract structure. The players decision would then come down to other factors such as team success, quality of city, coaching staff, taxes, etc.


Owners are after a longer term before players become UFA, and if they get the 10 years they are after Perry and Getzlaf won't be UFA anyway.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 12:02 AM
  #144
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Owners have done a great job misleading with that 57% of revenue propaganda.

It is Hockey Related Revenues minus expenses.

The definition of Revenue does not include expenses, whereas the term HRR includes expenses.

/rant
The 57% is 100% correct. The fact it's way more than the NFL or NBA is a joke.

The 57% is exactly the same as the number for the NBA and NFL-Leagues that produce far more revenue.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 07:00 AM
  #145
Dalton
Registered User
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ho Chi Minh City
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,096
vCash: 500
How do we know that Burke isn't lying like he did when people questioned the wisdom of Allaire as goalie coach?

Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 07:12 AM
  #146
paulster2626
Registered User
 
paulster2626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
How do we know that Burke isn't lying like he did when people questioned the wisdom of Allaire as goalie coach?
At the time, allaire was an employee of Brian Burke. Burke stuck up for his employee when some rag of a paper started questioning allaire. This is a good thing.

We don't know what washappening behind the scenes.

Then allaire quit, and proceeded to take a dump on his former employer, so Burke returned the favour.

Please stop worrying about every little thing Burke tells the newspapers.

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 07:14 AM
  #147
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
 
crump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ontariariario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,284
vCash: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
How do we know that Burke isn't lying like he did when people questioned the wisdom of Allaire as goalie coach?
...or change his mind. Why is everyone lying when they change their minds in Leaf land. Now go get me some street food, preferably some Hủ Tu Nam Vang, heavy on the Noodles please.

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 07:51 AM
  #148
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 71,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
...or change his mind. Why is everyone lying when they change their minds in Leaf land. Now go get me some street food, preferably some Hủ Tu Nam Vang, heavy on the Noodles please.
i want momofuke.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 11:03 AM
  #149
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 36,291
vCash: 500
we need getzlaf

bobby ryan too

hello anaheim, looking to reduce salary ?

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 01:34 PM
  #150
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
we need getzlaf

bobby ryan too

hello anaheim, looking to reduce salary ?
Forget about Ryan. He'll cost a lot of assets. Offer Getlaf/Perry identical 120 million contracts next summer on July 1st.

The entire direction of the team changes.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.