HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Burke will not go into season with current line-up"

Old
09-22-2012, 12:35 PM
RogerRoeper*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
How do we know that Burke isn't lying like he did when people questioned the wisdom of Allaire as goalie coach?
Burke lies about everything.

But the fact is, many Leaf fans and people in the media did question Allaire.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 12:47 PM
This is my year!

vCash: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Burke lies about everything.

But the fact is, many Leaf fans and people in the media did question Allaire.
He doesn't lie, he changes his mind. What he says is what he means at that moment in time.

1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 12:50 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJayMann View Post
He doesn't lie, he changes his mind. What he says is what he means at that moment in time.
In goes overboard in supporting guys in his organization. He needs to tone-down the comments.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 12:55 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
In goes overboard in supporting guys in his organization. He needs to tone-down the comments.
agreed. he seems to always make one statement too much. hard to imagine that Burke will ever tone anything down. we knew what we were getting before he was hired.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 03:27 PM
hockeyfanz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
agreed. he seems to always make one statement too much. hard to imagine that Burke will ever tone anything down. we knew what we were getting before he was hired.
the guy loves the sound of his own voice and he definitely doesn't know when to shut up. All of it means nothing if he does what he was hired to do for a lot of money. Win games. Win Division titles. Win Conference Titles and Win the Stanley Cup. When these things start to happen Burke can do and say whatever the F he wants. Dont care. Until then he should keep his head down and show some restraint. I find him rather embarrassing. Much like many many hockey fans find Grapes embarassing. And most of the time I would agree. Gotta admit..the sideshow that Burke brings is comical at times.

hockeyfanz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 03:30 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
the guy loves the sound of his own voice and he definitely doesn't know when to shut up. All of it means nothing if he does what he was hired to do for a lot of money. Win games. Win Division titles. Win Conference Titles and Win the Stanley Cup. When these things start to happen Burke can do and say whatever the F he wants. Dont care. Until then he should keep his head down and show some restraint. I find him rather embarrassing. Much like many many hockey fans find Grapes embarassing. And most of the time I would agree. Gotta admit..the sideshow that Burke brings is comical at times.

I can just imagine you saying that to his face.

crump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 03:53 PM
Slot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Owners have done a great job misleading with that 57% of revenue propaganda.

It is Hockey Related Revenues minus expenses.

The definition of Revenue does not include expenses, whereas the term HRR includes expenses.

/rant
ULF You are so wrong on this Revenue is gross income, before expenses are calculated.

Definition of 'Revenue'
The amount of money that a company actually receives during a specific period, including discounts and deductions for returned merchandise. It is the "top line" or "gross income" figure from which costs are subtracted to determine net income.

Read more: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/...#ixzz27EXW87VT

Under your definition of revenue players' salaries (an expense) would be deducted from income before revenue could be determined, which would affect the players' incomes as the revenue number had changed, which would lead revenues to be redetermined which would lead to an infinite loop.

Slot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 04:24 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
The irony here has almost reached critical mass.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 04:30 PM
hockeyfanz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
The irony here has almost reached critical mass.
too funny....ooops I didnt even see that one coming when I wrote it. How dumb of me. hehehehe

I thought about it and decided I would love to be paid 3M per year to embarrass myself in front of millions of people and to have loyalists defending me for being an idiot would be icing on the cake.

hockeyfanz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
too funny....ooops I didnt even see that one coming when I wrote it. How dumb of me. hehehehe

I thought about it and decided I would love to be paid 3M per year to embarrass myself in front of millions of people and to have loyalists defending me for being an idiot would be icing on the cake.
I never understood why it is ok to defend him but the moment somebody criticizes him it's forbidden, or I am an idiot for not liking the job that Burke has done so far. I am stupid for not holding my GM to a higher standard. Do I have to praise him before I see some real results in the standings? I don't think so. When the results on the ice match the talk that he talks, then I will love him.

Suntouchable13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 04:42 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

Don't know why we would buy the cow when we are getting the milk for free.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Sterling31
YNWA - TML

vCash: 50
We can say what we want. But i wouldn't be surprised if Burke pulled another rabbit out of his hat.

Wouldn't doubt that he is linked somehow to talks with Anaheim about Getzlaf.

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 05:00 PM
rdawg1234

I dont blame him for not doing anything. When was even the last trade to go down.

and who's still on the market, Luongo.

This CBA mess has ended any hopes of a trade right now, let alone any hopes of an actual season.

the next offseason is the big one, if we're lucky we'll get a shortened season this year.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Abattoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
We can say what we want. But i wouldn't be surprised if Burke pulled another rabbit out of his hat.
Nothing but gerbils out of that hat so far.

Abattoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 06:24 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by the doctor View Post
Nothing but gerbils out of that hat so far.
hahaha

or some nice individual parts, but an overall poor win/loss record.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 07:06 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Don't know why we would buy the cow when we are getting the milk for free.
Back to back gold Moose. Actually did laugh out loud.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
you're clueless because this team stinks. did i miss the last 3.5 years? did you?
These people defended Burke stubbornly for years. When people put sooooo much time and energy into defending someone, people generally won't budge on their stance, regardless of factual and statistical outcomes.
No matter what happens.
It's saving face, and it's a common character flaw in weaker humans across all cultures.

Burke has been a disgrace here. We just finished lower in the standings than when he first arrived.
People that defended Burke all along are 100% humiliated at this point, but they won't ever admit it.
They'll cling to the small victories (like the Phaneuf trade) and claim that the sum of their parts outweigh finishing 5th last after almost 4 years.

They're making an asinine argument, and everyone around them can see it, but they won't budge. They've invested far too much time into defending this man.
The day he's fired, they'll jump ship, and pretend they never defended him in the first place.
Watch for it.

Personally, I love this place. It truly is AMAZING watching these people in action.

Disgruntled Observer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 07:25 PM
DaveT83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
These people defended Burke stubbornly for years. When people put sooooo much time and energy into defending someone, people generally won't budge on their stance, regardless of factual and statistical outcomes.
No matter what happens.
It's saving face, and it's a common character flaw in weaker humans across all cultures.

Burke has been a disgrace here. We just finished lower in the standings than when he first arrived.
People that defended Burke all along are 100% humiliated at this point, but they won't ever admit it.
They'll cling to the small victories (like the Phaneuf trade) and claim that the sum of their parts outweigh finishing 5th last after almost 4 years.

They're making an asinine argument, and everyone around them can see it, but they won't budge. They've invested far too much time into defending this man.
The day he's fired, they'll jump ship, and pretend they never defended him in the first place.
Watch for it.

Personally, I love this place. It truly is AMAZING watching these people in action.

lol even a small positive in Phaneuf - and he ruins it by making him Captain.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 07:26 PM
Dalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
...or change his mind. Why is everyone lying when they change their minds in Leaf land. Now go get me some street food, preferably some Hủ Tu Nam Vang, heavy on the Noodles please.
Good soup. d40 000 down the street from me. Not real street food though as the place actually has metal stools and tables inside rather than the tiny plastic single butt cheek stools where I sometimes have BBQ chicken with rice for d25 000 and a Saigon red with ice for another d10 000. FYI to those who don't know- 22 000 dong (pronounced dom) is equivalent to a loonie.

I have no problem with Burke defending his employees. I like the fact he would make an effort to help a guy do his job well rather than just firing him.

IMHO the optics support a notion of a stubborn man who can't admit when he's wrong and the team suffers. Perhaps he just can't take criticism.

He wants to say he's happy with the goalies and 1st line centre when everyone knows that they are weak points. Contrast that with Anthopolous who states straight out what ails his team. But then Anthopolous goes right out and makes a move to fix things while Burke just debates what he will and won't do to add personnel to change the team.

Of course his credibility has to take a hit. What was he really thinking when he traded away two draft picks or didn't sign a high end free agent or wouldn't make a coaching change, or... Liar is a bit strong and I couldn't, wouldn't, shouldn't argue that he is. This team has been spinning its wheels since Burke got here. He hasn't improved any position. Maybe if he admitted what was wrong instead of covering it up the whole organization might work harder to ice a better product. Maybe he's a guy who belongs in a market where the fans aren't so engaged. It seems to be distracting him.

Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 07:29 PM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
Back to back gold Moose. Actually did laugh out loud.
Yes. Never heard that one before.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 07:37 PM
K19*

Quote:
No matter what happens.

Watch for it.

Good post.

K19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 08:38 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
No matter what happens.

Watch for it.

And people like you who have hated so bitterly for so long refuse to see any positive Burke has brought to the organization.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 08:43 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
And people like you who have hated so bitterly for so long refuse to see any positive Burke has brought to the organization.
The fact that Burke is currently the laughing stock of the entire league gives credence to the fact that I am less biased in my assessment of him than Burke supporters are.

The fact that we just finished 5th last gives credence to the fact that I am less biased in my assessment of him than Burke supporters are.

The fact that after a 4 year rebuild where we finished bottom 10 all four years... the best prospect (and arguably TWO best prospects) we acquired went to a divisional rival as opposed to ourselves gives credence to the fact that I am less biased in my assessment of him than Burke supporters are.

Old
09-22-2012, 08:45 PM
theTTC

Quote:
We just finished lower in the standings than when he first arrived.

Timely post, D.O., because, interestingly, the latest Maple Leaf spin of the "official" hockey blogs, news and "insights" is to label the players on JFJ's teams as useless and marginal, and to claim that Brian began working here with essentially nothing. Geez, they even go down the Leaf team list from back then and name the players! Well, that bunch of nothing actually was much closer to the playoffs than Brian's teams have been - came down to a couple of points, down to the final games, for exciting times. Wish we could have had at least that kind of thrill in the past four years.

Based on facts, JFJ was more successful even with the weight of Richard Peddie on his neck.

Its true, D.O., the world is truly mediocre...

theTTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 08:49 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTTC View Post
Timely post, D.O., because, interestingly, the latest Maple Leaf spin of the "official" hockey blogs, news and "insights" is to label the players on JFJ's teams as useless and marginal, and to claim that Brian began working here with essentially nothing. Geez, they even go down the Leaf team list from back then and name the players! Well, that bunch of nothing actually was much closer to the playoffs than Brian's teams have been - came down to a couple of points, down to the final games, for exciting times. Wish we could have had at least that kind of thrill in the past four years.

Based on facts, JFJ was more successful even with the weight of Richard Peddie on his neck.

Its true, D.O., the world is truly mediocre...
Add in the facts that Burke is the highest paid GM in all of world history, has the highest paid scouting department in the league, and the highest paid front office... and things go from looking "bad" to looking flat out pathetic.

Yet he's still defended.

He's still defended....