How did Sutter finish -2 during a 6-3 win. That's just awful

Old
10-15-2012, 01:04 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
How did Sutter finish -2 during a 6-3 win. That's just awful
How many of those goals were PP markers?

Old
10-15-2012, 02:38 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Well his team's been doing real crappy:
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/10/0...y-start-in-whl
Most of the points have only been coming from the top line.

Plus, puck luck can affect your game (see Fehr). Regarding Sutter:
Quote:
Poor puck luck has led to some struggles. Rest of game is fine.

Les Lazaruk (@Bladesvoice) October 15, 2012

Old
10-15-2012, 03:40 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Sask scored 3 PP goals, so it would have been 3-3 at even strength.

http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/61894

Old
10-16-2012, 02:31 AM
Duir
Registered Bunk

vCash: 500
I would just like to put it out there that Lowry is a gem of a prospect, perhaps our best really. I really, really like Sheif, Trouba, Sutter, and Kos though. I think we are going to be surprised at Lowry in the end. If he maintains work on foot-work (same as Sheif) we can expect big upsides. On D I am the same with Yuen; kid just needs to find his way this year with an evolving team, if he can he will learn and be a fixture on the pro D. I like Redmond's poise and Postma's offensive aggressive attack. For me our best prospects on D are Trouba and Yuen.

Old
10-16-2012, 07:56 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

I'd agree about trouba and Yuen but to be fair its more due to newness then anything. We haven't had them long enough to dissapoint. Triubas legit and I love Yuen but I dont think we can legitimately say turns a better prospect then Redmond and Postma a yet. I'd say the odds are still against him long term though I do think he can be a player

Old
10-16-2012, 07:59 AM
HPsauce

vCash: 566
Scott Kosmachuk

The kid is playing pretty well. To date he has scored 13 pts in his first 9 games (7G's 6A's)

He also just won the player of the week in Guelph!

I have a feeling this kid might be a real diamond in the rough.

Has anyone been able to watch him play live?

Old
10-16-2012, 09:55 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
The kid is playing pretty well. To date he has scored 13 pts in his first 9 games (7G's 6A's)

Garrett and I were talking about this a bit yesterday at AIH.

Garrett has seen more of him than me. I have only caught pieces of games, but all reports have him rebounding well from his slow start. He gets to dirty area and scores greasy goals. That is huge in today's game. A lot of the offence still runs through Zach Mitchell, but Kos is leading the team.

As of today:

Scheifele has 13 points in 10 games 1.3 PPG.
Lowry has 14 points in 10 games for 1.4 PPG
Kosmachuk has 13 in 9 games for 1.44444444 PPG

If Lowry and or Kosmachuk can keep this up I will be pretty impressed.

Related to Zach Mitchell, this kid is producing well. I am surprised he has gone undrafted and hasn't latched on anywhere. Then again he didn't stand out in a major way when the Jets invited him to prospect camp.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:59 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Right now we have the 11th and 13rd best scorer in the OHL and the 10th best scorer in the WHL. Pretty decent I guess.

10th WHL Adam Lowry GP 10 G 7 A 7 PTS 14
11th OHL Scott Kosmachuk GP 9 G 7 A 6 PTS 13
13th OHL Mark Scheifele GP 10 G 4 A 9 PTS 13

Lowry tied 7th in goals and and tied 20th in assists.
Kosmachuk tied 6th in goals and tied 36th in assists.
Scheifele tied 41th in goals and and tied 6th in assists.

Last edited by GermanJetsFan: 10-16-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old
10-16-2012, 10:26 AM
jetkarma

A reminder that Lowry and Swift Current will be on TV Wednesday , good chance to catch a full game and see the strengths of his game.Looking forward to it.

Old
10-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
A reminder that Lowry and Swift Current will be on TV Wednesday , good chance to catch a full game and see the strengths of his game.Looking forward to it.
Yep. 8:00 pm cst Wednesday on Shaw in Winnipeg; channel #09 SD and #303 HD.

http://whl.ca/whl-tv-broadcast-schedules

Old
10-16-2012, 01:19 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post

I did watch Kosmo live at the prospects camp at the Ice Plex. At the time I said he was the 18 year old that looked most comfortable on the ice. He had that nose for the net and likey the dirty areas. On one drill he roofed a very sweet shot from in tight in a very bang bang play, I am doing a bad job of describing it but you had to see it to get the goal scorers vibe. To me he is kind of a poor man's Jordan Eberle from what I have seen (strictly in the goal scoring sense). When we drafted him a poster dropped by our board that new Scott and talked pretty glowingly about his character as well.

I know it was an eye opener at the draft when they mentioned Kosmo and Nail were the only 18 year olds from the OHL to reach the 30 goal plateau.

I went back and reviewed the draft rankings a bit and it appears Kosmo was projected to picked around #41 and he was a faller on draft day. I think we got excellent value for this pick.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Tintin's Ghost

That Lazaruk Tweet is a little sugar-coating so Saskatoon fans don't abandon this team prior to hosting the Mem Cup. Sutter has been bad so far this year. The post-game write-ups in the daily here are none too flattering for Sutter. For a shutdown center he has a ridiculously bad +/-. I've paid into season tix but haven't had chance to go yet. Even missed that beating that Swift Current gave them (and Lowry scored 4 points) but will start going next week and hopefully post a little write up about our guy Lukas. For my group who has gone, the report back (as uneducated in scouting as it may be) is that Sutter is playing like a sieve. His "shutdown" line bleeds goals like crazy. Definitely not like Mem Cup contenders. Duncan Siemens (Avs 1st rounder in 2011) was stripped of the captaincy prior to start of season and has been one of the weaker d-men so far. The most talented are putting in the least effort and it's getting painful after 3 weeks.

The whole team is under-performing en masse. So it's not just Sutter. But his crappy play hasn't exactly motivated the team to get any better.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:24 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Hey guys I was going through the old GDT for the draft and came across this video bio of Trouba.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=QokXNp6ax8I

Old
10-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
originally came here to post this, amped to watch some hockey tomorr, even if it is juniors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post
That Lazaruk Tweet is a little sugar-coating so Saskatoon fans don't abandon this team prior to hosting the Mem Cup. Sutter has been bad so far this year. The post-game write-ups in the daily here are none too flattering for Sutter. For a shutdown center he has a ridiculously bad +/-. I've paid into season tix but haven't had chance to go yet. Even missed that beating that Swift Current gave them (and Lowry scored 4 points) but will start going next week and hopefully post a little write up about our guy Lukas. For my group who has gone, the report back (as uneducated in scouting as it may be) is that Sutter is playing like a sieve. His "shutdown" line bleeds goals like crazy. Definitely not like Mem Cup contenders. Duncan Siemens (Avs 1st rounder in 2011) was stripped of the captaincy prior to start of season and has been one of the weaker d-men so far. The most talented are putting in the least effort and it's getting painful after 3 weeks.

The whole team is under-performing en masse. So it's not just Sutter. But his crappy play hasn't exactly motivated the team to get any better.
A little concerned as i had high hopes for Lukas. It's early and can be turned around, but it's a black mark thus far. Hearing that the whole team is struggling is oddly comforting...

Old
10-16-2012, 06:34 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Too lazy too quote all the things I want to reply to... Also, I have an article on all our CHL prospects going up at Arctic Ice Hockey and I don't want to steal all my own material.... BUT:

Scheifele, Kosmachuk and Lowry (my favourites):
I think all three of these are the all but guaranteed to be difference makers for our future Jets, let alone NHL regulars.
For Scheif, everyone here knows his tools; I'm still doubtful he'll be more than a below-average 1st line C but he does have the work ethic, perseverance and learning attitude to constantly pass expectations. At very least, he's all but guaranteed top6 and you can't complain about that.
Kosmachuk, as Truck stated, has ability to get the dirty goals. I see him similar to Ladd, where he works hard and gritty to score but needs finesse/skill players to compliment him. When we were voting for our top prospects, I kept singing his praises and telling you all to vote him higher but none of you listened to me
I haven't watched a lot of Lowry, but to me he projects, at minimum, a 3rd line two way guy with some offensive threat. If he can continue to improve his skating he could become a decent 2nd liner. Lowry's G/GP, A/GP and Pts/GP development has almost perfectly matched Telegin, but his skating weakness doesn't make him as likely top6 as Telegin.

Olsen and Sutter:
Olsen (and Kosmachuk) were actually both projected to go before Sutter, so we might have gotten quite a steal with those two guys. Olsen is interesting because, although he was considered a second rounder mid-February, I can't find many scouting notes on him and haven't watched too much.
Sutter is playing bad on a team that is playing bad. The player that Olsen got traded for was lead scorer of Kelowna Rockets last year and hasn't gotten his second goal yet. I think he'll pick it up but I don't see Sutter projecting any further than Cormier.

Postma, Yuen and Melchiori (my fave non-Trouba D prospects):
Yuen has impressed me with his great skating and decent shot but most likely won't be above a high-end third-pairing guy that can be efficient in the PK (something we sorely lack currently).
Melchiori is a year younger than Chariot and Sol and could possibly push them both down to the ECHL. He (and Lowry... and Stamkos!) was training under Gary Roberts' off season program, which in my mind is the best available. Just like Yuen, without any jump in development, he may never surpass being an above-average third-pairing D who can play efficient PK.
Postma, like Scheifele, we all have a pretty good idea on him. On some teams systems, he'd project as a good 2nd pairing D with lots of PP time, but - unless Noel changes how he does things or Postma learns how to beat tough minutes - he most likely will be a third-pairing with 2nd PP guy for us.

Last edited by garret9: 10-16-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old
10-16-2012, 08:02 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

CHL Games for today:
Yuen and Tri-City Americans visit Prince Albert Raiders

Tri-City Americans 2 - Prince Albert Raiders 1
Last Updated: End Game (SO)
Yuen 0-0-0 +0 0pim

Winnipeg Jets CHL Prospect Tracker - October Edition

CHL News
Olsen has been suspended for his check to the head in his last game vs Victoria.
Tomorrow Lowry plays on TV.
Tomorrow Yuen faces off against Sutter.
And...
Keep your eyes open for tomorrow over at AIH I will be putting up a bit of a CHL review

Last edited by garret9: 10-16-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old
10-16-2012, 11:25 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Garret, thanks for heads up. I forgot Tri-City was in town this week. I'm going to head to the Blades game tomorrow night and check out Yuen. See what this low-scoring stay-at-home d-man brings to the table. Also looking forward to seeing Connor Rankin, big center for the Americans who is draft eligible for 2013. Heard good things about him and he may turn out to be the type of player Chevy likes to draft. Guess I'll see Sutter too, but not expecting too much with his slow-as-turtle start to the season.

Old
10-17-2012, 12:24 AM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Related to Zach Mitchell, this kid is producing well. I am surprised he has gone undrafted and hasn't latched on anywhere. Then again he didn't stand out in a major way when the Jets invited him to prospect camp.
I thought he had a decent prospects camp with the Jets. Seemed to have some offensive instincts.

Would love to see Zinger sign the kid and give him a chance to maybe develop down in St. John's.

Old
10-17-2012, 10:15 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
I thought he had a decent prospects camp with the Jets. Seemed to have some offensive instincts.

Would love to see Zinger sign the kid and give him a chance to maybe develop down in St. John's.
Same.

The Jets brass does like to give those kind of players a look. He was one of a few big time CHL producers in camp. Maybe they saw him as a player who's game won't translate to the next level.

He flashes all the time in Guelph games though and he even stand out in Kos highlights.

Old
10-17-2012, 11:38 AM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Sask scored 3 PP goals, so it would have been 3-3 at even strength.

http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/61894
still, being on the ice for at least 2 of 3 goals (didn't see the game, they might not have been his fault) doesn't look good.

Old
10-17-2012, 11:49 AM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBunk View Post
I would just like to put it out there that Lowry is a gem of a prospect, perhaps our best really. I really, really like Sheif, Trouba, Sutter, and Kos though. I think we are going to be surprised at Lowry in the end. If he maintains work on foot-work (same as Sheif) we can expect big upsides. On D I am the same with Yuen; kid just needs to find his way this year with an evolving team, if he can he will learn and be a fixture on the pro D. I like Redmond's poise and Postma's offensive aggressive attack. For me our best prospects on D are Trouba and Yuen.
I don't know much about Yuen. His stats are not overly impressive outside his +/-. So are we looking at a good defensive dman? I don't know how he could be put above Postma or Redmond quite yet.

Old
10-17-2012, 11:56 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
I don't know much about Yuen. His stats are not overly impressive outside his +/-. So are we looking at a good defensive dman? I don't know how he could be put above Postma or Redmond quite yet.
Yuen is extremely underrated and you're kidding yourself by talking about Sutter 'not looking good' because he was -2 in a game where his team won.

+/- is a joke of a stat and if that's what you're basing your view of development of a prospect on, you're a bit out to lunch IMO.

Old
10-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Yuen is extremely underrated and you're kidding yourself by talking about Sutter 'not looking good' because he was -2 in a game where his team won.

+/- is a joke of a stat and if that's what you're basing your view of development of a prospect on, you're a bit out to lunch IMO.
Yuen is underrated, looking forward to seeing him play tonight.

I'm not sure how you can say Sutter is performing at even a mediocre level. I know its only 11 games in but he is trending for a full season of play with a stat line of 6g- 6a- 12pts and -48 and 180 PIMS. I think most Jets fans, including myself, were expecting more from him and deservedly so. He was drafted in the top 40 and that increases expectations.

The emphasis on +/- may be too weighted. Your point that it is less relevant for a prospect is well taken. I assume it's because prospects are playing on teams where 90% aren't going to the NHL and there is the subsequent drop-off in skill level. However, Sutter projects to be a shutdown center and is tied for team worst -8 (with captain Brendan Walker). He is averaging almost one full goal against more than goals for when he is one the ice this year. To me, that is the antithesis of a shutdown center. And this is on a team that, while not "stacked", is hosting the Mem Cup and is built to go far in the WHL playoffs. With Siemens, Thrower and Dietz on the blue-line, the defensive support is certainly there for Sutter. Yet almost every single game so far his line yields more goals than they score. The fact that Sutter won't be a prolific scorer suggest to me that his bigger strength is defense but haven't seen that yet. this season.

I know you work with/for the Blades organization and are privy to a lot more knowledge than the average HF poster. So maybe I'm missing some subtleties and nuances to his game. If so, I hope to observe those tonight so I can obtain a more accurate picture of Sutter and his play.

Old
10-17-2012, 12:32 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post
Yuen is underrated, looking forward to seeing him play tonight.

I'm not sure how you can say Sutter is performing at even a mediocre level. I know its only 11 games in but he is trending for a full season of play with a stat line of 6g- 6a- 12pts and -48 and 180 PIMS. I think most Jets fans, including myself, were expecting more from him and deservedly so. He was drafted in the top 40 and that increases expectations.

The emphasis on +/- may be too weighted. Your point that it is less relevant for a prospect is well taken. I assume it's because prospects are playing on teams where 90% aren't going to the NHL and there is the subsequent drop-off in skill level. However, Sutter projects to be a shutdown center and is tied for team worst -8 (with captain Brendan Walker). He is averaging almost one full goal against more than goals for when he is one the ice this year. To me, that is the antithesis of a shutdown center. And this is on a team that, while not "stacked", is hosting the Mem Cup and is built to go far in the WHL playoffs. With Siemens, Thrower and Dietz on the blue-line, the defensive support is certainly there for Sutter. Yet almost every single game so far his line yields more goals than they score. The fact that Sutter won't be a prolific scorer suggest to me that his bigger strength is defense but haven't seen that yet. this season.

I know you work with/for the Blades organization and are privy to a lot more knowledge than the average HF poster. So maybe I'm missing some subtleties and nuances to his game. If so, I hope to observe those tonight so I can obtain a more accurate picture of Sutter and his play.
I have been dissapointed with Sutter thus far too, and I was someone who always viewed him as a 3rd rounder with a name that pushed him to 2nd.
BUT, that being said, even if he was a complete bust, it is impossible for him to continue at this poor of a level AND for it to be the "true him". It's just too terrible for any standard.

Also, the reason why +/- is a terrible stat is because it doesn't rely on you alone. For example, Stuart single handedly caused Buff's - +/- with only 10% of Buff's pairing ice time, also Buff would have been + and Jones/Flood would have been negative if Pav was a statistical shot blocking robot that always allowed the same % of shots into the net.

Last edited by garret9: 10-17-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Closed Thread