HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Blog Review: Warrior Dynasty

Old
11-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Blog Review: Warrior Dynasty

I picked one of these up at my local shop last night, so I figured with the lack of info online about these sticks I'd do an ongoing review of it. This one's a 70 flex intermediate Kopitar (Sakic).

The Dynasty has some interesting technology going on:

- Different flexes on the forehand and backhand walls of the stick. The forehand is whippier than the bakchand. In theory this would mean it load up easier on forehand shots, then the additional resistance of the back wall would spring it back and make the shots kick harder.

- Different weave patterns on the forehand and backhand of the blade. Not sure what this does but there's larger weave on the forehand and tighter weave on the backhand.

- Stiffer flex up top and whippier near the blade, which is how they make a low kickpoint stick, for a quicker release. Not new, but still a feature.

- Interesting grip going on. It's a bit of a sticky grip, but there are ribs on the shaft wall where the backhand side meets the bottom of the blade side (if that makes sense). I love a grippy stick but am not a big texture guy, so we'll see how this works out.

- Dual density foams in the blade for a bit more stiffness at the heel and a bit more feel at the toe. I loved the feel of the DD blade although durability was not good. I'm curious to see if this is better.

- What they call "fused one piece" construction. This is similar to the Diablo stick I believe. Instead of just taking a tapered blade and a tapered shaft and gluing them together, they make two parts of a one piece stick and fuse it together. The blade section extends to several inches of shaft which is hollow instead of solid like a tapered blade. This makes the stick a lot lighter and better balanced than the old Dolomite.

First impressions:

This stick is definitely lighter and better balanced than the old Dolomite it replaces. I have used four or five Dolomites and both the shaft and blade section of the Dynasty are lighter. You can see the fuse point is several inches higher than a regular two-piece stick, just like the Diablo. The weave is larger on that section as well.

Graphics are regular Warrior "LOOK AT ME!" style. I don't care for the loud logos on the bottom/heel portion of the blade, just because when I tape it up it's going to look weird. Up top there is a yellow-ish Warrior logo which is fine. I generally like Warrior graphics though.

I am in the middle of moving right now but when I update I will compare the Kopitar curve to the Toews and Draper. I have a 2011 AK27 two-piece and a 2010 Dolomite Spyne in the "same" curve, but the Spyne was a little more closed than the AK27 and my P92. We'll see if the Kopitar follows this trend.

Flex-wise, it feels a bit whippier than the 2010 Dolomite did. I had a 70 flex Dolomite DD in the same curve and flex that I sold because it felt a bit too whippy, but since then I decided to chop 2-3" off the stick and in retrospect should have kept it. I also tested it against a 2-piece 70 flex Dolomite which was far stiffer. So long as it has a bit of kick though I can deal with whippiness. I'm curious to see if the asymmetrical flex allows for this.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:01 AM
ponder

Looking forward to your review once you get to use it. I haven't used the OPS, but I currently use a Dynasty blade (also a Kopitar curve) in my tapered shaft, and I'm absolutely loving the puck feel, very wood-like. Zero durability problems with it so far, but I've only used it a dozen times or so.

ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That's better than my Dolo Spyne DD! 3-4 uses and the heel started cracking/chipping like an Easton.

Also, the store might have had them mismarked as I paid $100 for it

Old
11-02-2011, 02:45 PM
ponder

Wow, not bad, almost half price! Definite mistake by that store.

ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah it wasn't ringing up properly so I got a bit nervous, then he entered it by hand. Somebody put it in the system wrong I bet. Oh well. I'm not UNICEF or anything.

I checked the curve and it's a little flatter and less open than my P92, just a hair.

Old
11-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Hugh Madbrough

thanks for the ongoing review, i'm definitely interested in checking one out.

Hugh Madbrough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Chopped off 4" from the stick. Yes I'm short and like a short stick. Balance is just a bit blade heavy compared to the X60, but not only is that an X60 (ridiculously light) I also have a 4-5" wood plug in that thing.

It's definitely about 10 flex whippier than the X60 which is a 75 flex intermediate (stiffer than intermediate but whippier than senior). If this thing breaks in at all it might get too whippy, worries me a bit, but maybe that's part of the master plan with the flex tech.

Lately I've been taping my sticks with wide white and two layers (tight overlaps) but decided to do a more normal single layer tape job to see the blade feel. The X60 is a bit pingy and two layers seems to soften it just a tad and make for less frequent re-taping.

In the pics maybe you can see...the taper is pretty similar between the two sticks. The joint for the Dynasty is near the "W" and not low like a normal 2-piece tapered rig. The X60 has that expanded "throat" where the blade comes off the shaft as well compared to the Dynasty's normal blade shape.

Also, the Dynasty is a little more boxy than the Vapor, maybe just slightly concave too. If you're interested I'll double check.

Pics:

Old
11-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Split time with this stick and my Vapor X60. The Dynasty is noticeably whippier and the balance is below my bottom hand instead of between my hands, which threw me off a bit. I may chop it down and put a 3-4" plug in there like I did with my Vapor. Shots seemed fine aside from being thrown off by the release time due to the balance. Puck feel was also pretty good, different than the Vapor. It's more solid/wood feeling than the Vapor which is very stiff and a little pingy.

No scoring this week since my team sucks on wheels. Took a couple slashes that knocked off some paint near the bottom of the stick.

Old
11-09-2011, 09:01 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I chopped the stick down another 4" and put a 4" plug in it, just like my X60. I wanted to see how that felt. It improved the balance a bit and now feels just a bit stiffer, which it needed. Got a game on Saturday so I'll update then.

Old
11-13-2011, 01:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Two goals tonight with the new stick, oddly both came halfway through the game when I switched to my new gloves (Warrior Koncept I think?). The stick feels a little heavier than the X60 in use and that makes me shoot lower for some reason. Puck feel is great though so I stuck with it. Both goals were snappers low that beat the goalie from maybe the faceoff dot. Release is relatively quick but not as quick as the X60. That's probably a mix of the heavier weight and a little whip lag.

Old
11-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Another goal last night with the stick. For some reason my shots are staying lower than normal but it's working out really well. I still feel my timing is a bit off due to the balance of the stick. Puck feel and stickhandling are pretty good though and with the wood plug it did stiffen up nicely. I do need to add more tape as there's a bit of vibration/creaking going on.

Old
05-15-2012, 09:40 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Just picked up a Warrior Dynasty (Burrows curve) and a team canada X60 (McKegg curve)

Haven't played a game with them yet, just practiced outside a bit taking shots on net.

The Dynasty is definitely more "whippier" than the X60, a bit lighter as well. I'm torn between the two and not sure which one to use as my go-to stick. I also have a synergy ultra (forsberg curve) which I got a couple years ago and I actually like it a lot.

Have my first game of the season coming up later this week. Might play a period with each stick just to see which one I feel more comfortable with.

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

What's the listed flex on each of the sticks?

My 70 flex Dynasty was a bit whipper than the 75 flex X:60.

Also for an update, I broke the X:60 last game of the season (on the boards, frustration, but the blade was pretty soft). The Dynasty will be my main stick this summer.

Old
09-25-2012, 08:47 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Might as well bump this since it's been my main stick since I broke my X:60 in April.

This has seen maybe 20 skates as a main stick? And another 20 as a backup/alternate.

The blade is still as stiff as new and the shaft is holding up fine. There is a little wear at the heel which is flaking off bits of graphite and the toe has a couple chips.

Oh and the flex didn't break in much, if at all. Then again I chopped it down another 6" to use an Oggie in it then replaced it with a wood plug...so obviously chopping it down 10" and putting a plug in might stiffen it up. But it doesn't feel whippy at all.

My general impression is that the Dynasty is a durable stick with great feel and a fairly unremarkable shot. It doesn't seem to add any power to my shots like some sticks do but doesn't take anything away. A workhorse stick like the old Easton ST.