HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Klaus Catsby, Esquire

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Maybe your definition of mall is different than ours haha? What mall has a Wal-Mart in it? On the madness!
haha ya I'm thinking mall has to be used to describe a general shopping plaza in weird canada land.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I am almost positive mall has to be used to describe a general shopping plaza in weird canada land.
That's what I was thinking.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

what a crazy world. that will probably be the most exciting thing I do today

actually no, its wing night. I get to leave this damn boring city to go drink in the burbs

Old
10-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
what a crazy world. that will probably be the most exciting thing I do today

actually no, its wing night. I get to leave this damn boring city to go drink in the burbs
Remind me why you live in the city again

Old
10-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Remind me why you live in the city again
I used to work right down the street. Now I don't but I have a lease. And when I say leave the city, I don't mean very far. Right over to Dormont/Mt Lebo. I won't be more than 5 minutes from the proper city limits

Old
10-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
I used to work right down the street. Now I don't but I have a lease.
Makes sense.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Makes sense.
ya I can't wait to leave. I thought moving to the big city (ya I'm from the sticks, this is huge for me) would be awesome. It was for about a year. Now I'm sick of it. I want a damn yard.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:36 AM
JTG

I said the same thing after leaving the city. I wanted a yard. I don't use the yard...I just want it.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
ya I can't wait to leave. I thought moving to the big city (ya I'm from the sticks, this is huge for me) would be awesome. It was for about a year. Now I'm sick of it. I want a damn yard.
haha I can relate, to some extent. What part of the sticks are you from?

I'm kind of a contradiction. On one hand I love the convenience of city living as well as the impact I feel I'm making on the community by choosing to live there. As I said before I live in Cleveland. I love where I live because I can ride my bike to work in 10 minutes and other than to play hockey, I never have to use a car. I also think that the mass moves to suburbia hurt the cities as well as some senses of community (but I won't get into all that).

On the flip side, I loved living in a house in high school with a big back yard where my dog could run free and I could hit golf balls, ride a dirtbike and just relax in peace and nature.

I want both at the same time haha. I'm kinda counting on growing out of the city living some day and moving to sort of the country but close enough to have access to the city.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
haha I can relate, to some extent. What part of the sticks are you from?

I'm kind of a contradiction. On one hand I love the convenience of city living as well as the impact I feel I'm making on the community by choosing to live there. As I said before I live in Cleveland. I love where I live because I can ride my bike to work in 10 minutes and other than to play hockey, I never have to use a car. I also think that the mass moves to suburbia hurt the cities as well as some senses of community (but I won't get into all that).

On the flip side, I loved living in a house in high school with a big back yard where my dog could run free and I could hit golf balls, ride a dirtbike and just relax in peace and nature.

I want both at the same time haha. I'm kinda counting on growing out of the city living some day and moving to sort of the country but close enough to have access to the city.
I'm from out towards Seven Springs. Like I've said, I really don't do city things. I go to suburb bars. I went to Latrobe over the weekend. It is convenient for the handful of Pens and Pirates games I go to every year but even then that just means I'm the guy that has to go get the tailgate spot. Which means I have to be able to drive home.

I don't want to go back out to the country. I want to go to the suburbs where I can have my yard but I'm close enough to the city to pop in without feeling like I need to make a day out of it. JTG, even if all it gets used for is letting my dogs out without needing to take them on a leash, that's worth it. Like you said, even if it wouldn't get used, I just want one. I just can't stand the noise here. Or the light. It doesn't actually get dark in the city. When I first lived in Oakland for a summer I could barely sleep at first because of the light. My bedroom at home was completely pitch black when I went to bed. I could read a book with the lights out and the blinds down where I was at in Oakland.

The funny part is I was one of the least "country" of anyone I grew up with. I don't fish or hunt or ride dirt bikes or any of that stuff. But I liked knowing that I could if I wanted to

Old
10-03-2012, 12:15 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Maybe your definition of mall is different than ours haha? What mall has a Wal-Mart in it? Oh the madness!
http://www.fairviewpark.ca/en/Pages/default.aspx

That's the mall across the street from my apartment.

If you search the store directory you will see.....oh hey look!!!! A Walmart.

The mall in Timmins had a Walmart in it for years as well. But around 5 years ago or so they left the mall because a new Walmart Supercentre was built down the street from it.

Old
10-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
I'm from out towards Seven Springs. Like I've said, I really don't do city things. I go to suburb bars. I went to Latrobe over the weekend. It is convenient for the handful of Pens and Pirates games I go to every year but even then that just means I'm the guy that has to go get the tailgate spot. Which means I have to be able to drive home.

I don't want to go back out to the country. I want to go to the suburbs where I can have my yard but I'm close enough to the city to pop in without feeling like I need to make a day out of it. JTG, even if all it gets used for is letting my dogs out without needing to take them on a leash, that's worth it. Like you said, even if it wouldn't get used, I just want one. I just can't stand the noise here. Or the light. It doesn't actually get dark in the city. When I first lived in Oakland for a summer I could barely sleep at first because of the light. My bedroom at home was completely pitch black when I went to bed. I could read a book with the lights out and the blinds down where I was at in Oakland.

The funny part is I was one of the least "country" of anyone I grew up with. I don't fish or hunt or ride dirt bikes or any of that stuff. But I liked knowing that I could if I wanted to
Yeah that's definitely out there haha. I know what you mean about the city. I guess I just like being close to things. Also, mostly what I despise about the suburbs is cookie cutter neighborhoods, big box stores, etc. I like the city because there is character in the homes and more local, unique small businesses, etc.

Old
10-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Yeah that's definitely out there haha. I know what you mean about the city. I guess I just like being close to things. Also, mostly what I despise about the suburbs is cookie cutter neighborhoods, big box stores, etc. I like the city because there is character in the homes and more local, unique small businesses, etc.
those are all reasons to go past the suburbs to the small country towns too

Old
10-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
those are all reasons to go past the suburbs to the small country towns too
Yep and there in lies my "problem". It's either city or near country haha.

Old
10-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:

ps: I love taco bell.
is there still a Taco Bell on South Braddock?

Old
10-03-2012, 12:55 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
you gotta admit though, for a lot of young people, there is a certain "sexiness" cities like nyc, boston, sf, la. at least for me, i'm from pittsburgh and went to college in western pa, but post-college i wanted to spend some time in a bigger city. maybe return there at a later date, but i want to try something new for awhile when im young and unencumbered.
yeah man... absolutely. pittsburgh is extremely boring for a young professional in their early 20's. not many single girls who actually have a career/ambition, bar scene is wack, limited clubs, and there just isn't many activities for the younger crowd.

i'd say this place is great if you're a college kid or if you're settling down to raise a family, but anywhere in between is tough.

at the same time though, i'm in no hurry to move because i'm making good money here. making $50K or anywhere above in pittsburgh goes a long way compared to other places.

so while i do want more, there is no point in messing up a good thing.

once i get more experience under my belt and an MBA degree, it's time to take on a bigger city. not quite yet though.

Old
10-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
is there still a Taco Bell on South Braddock?
not sure. there's one on mcknight though

Old
10-03-2012, 04:26 PM
JTG

Quote:
not sure. there's one on mcknight though
I just got a free combo from there. They had 2 people working, and I had to wait 25 mins for food

Old
10-03-2012, 07:20 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I just got a free combo from there. They had 2 people working, and I had to wait 25 mins for food
That reminds me of when a new KFC opened near the base I was stationed at up in Maine. I went to the drive-through one night after getting off watch pretty late. It was right after they opened, and I guess they didn't have all the kinks worked out. I placed my order, pulled forward, and no one came to the window. For....quite a while It was the middle of winter, which can be rather brutal in Maine, so I was perfectly content to sit and wait rather than go on. About 15 minutes later, someone was walking past the window and I waved at them and they waved back and kept walking...then suddenly stopped and ran over with this horrified look on their face. The dude was like "Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease don't tell the manager." He gave me 2 huge buckets of chicken, every side they had, and a coupon for something or another the next time I went. It was kind of awesome. I had food for a few days!

Old
10-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Watching the prequel to John Carpenter's The Thing. This one isn't too bad but can't hold a match to the 80s version. The 80s version definitely had better special effects, characters, plot, and acting. Sooooo... yeah... its not even close.

Should make for a good Halloween movie.

Old
10-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
UCLA feels like big boy school...and yet I'm here to refine my craft of making dick jokes.

Old
10-03-2012, 11:58 PM
Get To Our Game
HFBoards Sponsor

Liking the thread title. Love me some GY!BE.

Old
10-04-2012, 01:24 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Also I'm 99% sure I'm going to be getting a red light ticket in the mail soon...despite the fact that LA can't enforce the law anymore. Beverly Hills apparently kept the cameras on in order to cash-in on people who don't do any research on the issue...but I still have this ticket that's basically going to be hanging in limbo forever since by actually acknowledging it I become liable to pay it...it's a weird system, but if I ignore it entirely it doesn't get sent to the DMV or credit unions so there'd be absolutely no repercussions.

Thankfully...those tickets are $479 that I sure as hell don't have...a punishment greatly unfitting going through a yellow light...the thing turned yellow in that no man's land where if I slammed on the breaks I'd wind up in the middle of the intersection anyway (to say nothing of probably causing an accident considering a car was right behind me)...but the yellow lights here tend to be excessively short to elicit more tickets. Real great system, traffic lights...by making an easy way to cash in they essentially promote unsafe driving (slamming on brakes rather than going through yellow lights)...but they cost so much money to enforce that they still lose money. Oi.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif

Last edited by ColePens: 10-04-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Old
10-04-2012, 06:28 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
That reminds me of when a new KFC opened near the base I was stationed at up in Maine. I went to the drive-through one night after getting off watch pretty late. It was right after they opened, and I guess they didn't have all the kinks worked out. I placed my order, pulled forward, and no one came to the window. For....quite a while It was the middle of winter, which can be rather brutal in Maine, so I was perfectly content to sit and wait rather than go on. About 15 minutes later, someone was walking past the window and I waved at them and they waved back and kept walking...then suddenly stopped and ran over with this horrified look on their face. The dude was like "Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease don't tell the manager." He gave me 2 huge buckets of chicken, every side they had, and a coupon for something or another the next time I went. It was kind of awesome. I had food for a few days!
I would have went home, put on a movie and ate the entire thing.

Old
10-04-2012, 08:25 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Unpacking and rearranging your belongings after you move is so tiring.

Thank goodness I have beer.

Closed Thread