HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Klaus Catsby, Esquire

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Certified Assassin
Souped up Wildcat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunitz View Post
Watching the prequel to John Carpenter's The Thing. This one isn't too bad but can't hold a match to the 80s version. The 80s version definitely had better special effects, characters, plot, and acting. Sooooo... yeah... its not even close.

Should make for a good Halloween movie.
I rather enjoyed The Thing (prequel). The crew did a really nice job of getting all the little details right from the 1980s version of the Norwegian base. Although I agree with you that it is no where near on the special effects level as the 1980s Thing. Some of those effects gave me nightmares as a kid.

Old
10-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Fun Fact: Any time you pause a television show (be it live or on DVR) you negate your viewing point. Fast-forwarding or rewinding, however doesn't effect anything.

Also watching a show on DVR within 24 hours of it's original air is as good as watching it live...as long as you watch it the whole way through without pausing (again, you can fast-forward through the commercials no problem).

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
10-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Fun Fact: Any time you pause a television show (be it live or on DVR) you negate your viewing point. Fast-forwarding or rewinding, however doesn't effect it.

Also watching a show on DVR within 24 hours of it's original air is as good as watching it live.
so if I DVR it and watch it the following morning, all is well. But if I pause it to take a leak its like I didn't watch it? What if I pause the recording in the morning?

Old
10-04-2012, 11:26 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
so if I DVR it and watch it the following morning, all is well. But if I pause it to take a leak its like I didn't watch it? What if I pause the recording in the morning?
Then it's as good as not watching it at all. Crazy, right?

It blew my mind to learn that. You can watch it the morning after and fast-forward through the commercials and get the same rating point as you would for watching it live (though it ****s with the overnights)...but if you pause it to answer the phone or take a leak then you essentially didn't watch the show in the eyes of Nielsen.

Apparently it's something about paying attention or loyalty or some random garbage idea that executives have...but it was nice to hear that DVR isn't completely killing good shows. Watching a DVR'd show within 3 days doesn't count as a ratings point, but it still figures into a stat (Live + 3) that networks pay attention to (same with within a week, Live + 7...after that it doesn't matter). Part of the reason why good sitcoms with lousy ratings stay on the air is because interest in them doesn't wane throughout the week, while timely shows that need to be watched while live (such as reality crap and sports) have no staying power. Advertisers obviously prefer live eyes, but when you fast-forward through commercials you still tend to know what commercials you're fast-forwarding through, so the advertisers aren't completely turned off by DVR.

But so help you if you accidentally sit on the pause button.

Old
10-04-2012, 11:50 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Rush was finally nominated for the RRHOF. About damn time even though that place has turned into a massive joke.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
10-05-2012, 12:11 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Well Big, my viewing of the last two parks and rec episodes don't count. My bad. Not gonna lie, I thought the soda tax episode was pretty bad. Tonight's was much better. There is a direct correlation between the quality of an episode and the amount of Ron Swanson screen time.

And good deal about Rush. They are awesome live.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:15 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Well Big, my viewing of the last two parks and rec episodes don't count. My bad. Not gonna lie, I thought the soda tax episode was pretty bad. Tonight's was much better. There is a direct correlation between the quality of an episode and the amount of Ron Swanson screen time.

And good deal about Rush. They are awesome live.
The first episode of the season was a 5, soda tax was a 6.5, and tonight's was a 9.5.

My expectations for this season are tempered...the fifth season is usually the start of the downward turn, and two major characters being shipped out of town generally doesn't lead to greatness...but tonight gave me a ton of hope that the writers are good enough to handle this and the characters are interesting enough to wrangle a new dynamic.

Ron & Andy are glorious together.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:21 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
The first episode of the season was a 5, soda tax was a 6.5, and tonight's was a 9.5.

My expectations for this season are tempered...the fifth season is usually the start of the downward turn, and two major characters being shipped out of town generally doesn't lead to greatness...but tonight gave me a ton of hope that the writers are good enough to handle this and the characters are interesting enough to wrangle a new dynamic.

Xena was very solid too. My biggest issue is that Leslie is getting less and less funny the more she is away from the main group. Tom has always been all about hit or miss jokes. He's had a lot of misses this season except for the cigar.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:31 AM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

Leslie complaining about how her perm got messed up, Ben reading April his fan-fiction and Ron and Andy playing dress up...this was a helluva an episode

Oh and dare I say The Office has actually been pretty good so far this season. It's definitely not on Park's level anymore but it serves as a good appetizer. I actually care about one of the Jim-Pam storylines for the first time in like 4 years.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:35 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh00terMcGavin View Post
Leslie complaining about how her perm got messed up, Ben reading April his fan-fiction and Ron and Andy playing dress up...this was a helluva an episode

Oh and dare I say The Office has actually been pretty good so far this season. It's definitely not on Park's level anymore but it serves as a good appetizer. I actually care about one of the Jim-Pam storylines for the first time in like 4 years.
I haven't watched with any regularity since Jim and Pam found out she was pregnant. I've probably seen 10 or 15 episodes since then I watched the first episode of this season and remembered why that was. Its just not funny anymore. imo.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:47 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
I haven't watched with any regularity since Jim and Pam found out she was pregnant. I've probably seen 10 or 15 episodes since then I watched the first episode of this season and remembered why that was. Its just not funny anymore. imo.
Oddly enough - same thing here. And a lot of my friends stopped watching around the same time, too. We used to have viewing parties and then everyone stopped at this point. I heard it wasn't worth watching the rest of 'em.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:48 AM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

Quote:
You haven't missed much. The problem is that the show is just...out of big ideas at this point (9 seasons tend to do that to a show). Right around season 6 is when this became pretty clear, when you could tell they really had nothing going on except Pam's pregnancy and the Jim-Pam wedding. I haven't honestly LOL'd at the show in a pretty long time, although this season is already 500x better than season 8 was.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:59 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

The Office DVD release day was like a holiday for me for a while...but once they got married I sorta stopped watching. A lot of that had to do with the whole no TV thing...but I still had DVDs and Netflix and just sorta stopped.

To be fair, the show is way past it's shelf life and is apparently still decent...you're going to be hard-pressed to find a 9th season non-animated show that can say it's as good as it was in the 3rd season. I didn't watch basically anything that was recent until I decided to give Parks & Rec a second chance back in February or whatever. Parks & Rec's pilot was probably the last episode of a show I actually watched on TV before I got cable again in July...

Old
10-05-2012, 08:31 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:

I'd rather the show just be about Ron and Andy. Everybody else can **** off as far as I'm concerned.

Old
10-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Tom has moments. Typically when he's with Ron or Andy.

Old
10-05-2012, 11:49 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Old
10-05-2012, 12:10 PM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

Old
10-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I'd rather the show just be about Ron and Andy. Everybody else can **** off as far as I'm concerned.
I don't want 22 minutes of Ron. He's best running the B story, not the A story.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I don't want 22 minutes of Ron. He's best running the B story, not the A story.
I agree. The issue is the people running the A story aren't great. Anne needs to be around more.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
I agree. The issue is the people running the A story aren't great. Anne needs to be around more.
Well...they're written by the same people.

The best characters are usually going to be the ones that are used sparingly, because they're not carrying the weight of the plot. Ron can show up, make his joke, insert a couple reaction shots, and it's hilarious...but why are they in that situation? Very few plots in the show are actually powered by Ron, his character just steals the scene.

Anne...she needs to be Leslie's assistant or something. They've already basically blurred what Tom's job is in the show to keep him in the show as much as he needs to be...but Anne has sorta just faded into the background the past couple episodes.

Old
10-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Well...they're written by the same people.

The best characters are usually going to be the ones that are used sparingly, because they're not carrying the weight of the plot. Ron can show up, make his joke, insert a couple reaction shots, and it's hilarious...but why are they in that situation? Very few plots in the show are actually powered by Ron, his character just steals the scene.

Anne...she needs to be Leslie's assistant or something. They've already basically blurred what Tom's job is in the show to keep him in the show as much as he needs to be...but Anne has sorta just faded into the background the past couple episodes.
Ya, Leslie annoys me on her own. Leslie and Anne as a pair I enjoy.

Old
10-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

You guys know any good comedies on right now other than Parks and Rec and Community? I've heard some really good things about Louie.

Old
10-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
You guys know any good comedies on right now other than Parks and Rec and Community? I've heard some really good things about Louie.
Modern Family. Always Sunny. The League. I haven't seen Louie.

Old
10-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Ominous Grey

Quote:
Louie. x1000.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
I just ordered Modern Family and New Girl DVDs today because I need to really familiarize myself with more shows that are on today...and most shows don't let you catch up while the seasons are going on (Modern Family has been sitting in my Hulu queue all summer...and I went to start watching it this week only to see 5 episodes available...I completely forgot about that damn rule).

Louie is definitely great.

Closed Thread