HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Klaus Catsby, Esquire

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh00terMcGavin View Post
The Dor-Stop is literally 5 minutes from my house, yet I've never been there . But yeah, I've heard great things and I swear it's always packed when I pass by it.
I lived about a 5 minute walk from it for about a year. I bet I ate breakfast there at least 25 times. I was also addicted to amazing wok despite it being mediocre at best.

Old
10-08-2012, 04:17 PM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

There's a cool little local watering hole in the Tyrone area called the Spruce Creek Tavern. They've got wings and a bar. Highly recommended.

Old
10-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLuci View Post
There's a cool little local watering hole in the Tyrone area called the Spruce Creek Tavern. They've got wings and a bar. Highly recommended.
I'm actually going to be in Tyrone this weekend, but probably won't have a chance to check out a bar

Old
10-08-2012, 05:28 PM
JTG

I had a professor in college who owned a shot and beer bar. I guess in every bar, you need to keep enough food on the premises for a certain amount of people just incase something happens. I don't know how true that is, but that is what he told us. He said to get around the rules and regulations, he kept a can of Campbell's soup on hand for the number of mouths he would have to feed. I thought the idea of a straight booze bar was a good idea. No frills...just drunkenness.

Old
10-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Well, I'm looking to move back to Pittsburgh almost ASAP. My job has been going down hill and my boss who has been keeping me in check just left. There's no reason for me to stay any more. I got good experience from them but I'm going to take it elsewhere.

Old
10-09-2012, 07:10 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Need to get more groceries, household items, and booze today but I fell like crap.

Old
10-09-2012, 07:40 AM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
but I fell like crap.
Stop falling like crap!

Also, I'm now playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown. However, thinking back, DisHonored looks awfully intriguing.

Old
10-09-2012, 07:50 AM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

So, I hear fat girls in Philly can't get their bras on.

My XCOM download is at 63 percent.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:10 AM
UnrealMachine

So did anyone get the new GSYBE album yet? I thought that's what this thread was about? I saw them at CMU back in 2000 (?) when i was an undergrad. They played there again in 2003 (?), but the venue was terrible (gym). If they pay here again i hope it's a sit down affair.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:22 AM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

Got the XCOM downloaded and playing. Named my first soldier Justin Chancellor. I only played it a little. Feel weird today for some reason.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
So did anyone get the new GSYBE album yet? I thought that's what this thread was about? I saw them at CMU back in 2000 (?) when i was an undergrad. They played there again in 2003 (?), but the venue was terrible (gym). If they pay here again i hope it's a sit down affair.
Big's avatar seems to be the album cover or something like that. so I bet he did. I've never heard of them but I'm listening to Storm on youtube. I could use some new music

Old
10-09-2012, 10:49 AM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Big's avatar seems to be the album cover or something like that. so I bet he did. I've never heard of them but I'm listening to Storm on youtube. I could use some new music
Ever listen to house of pain? Were they at coachella?

Old
10-09-2012, 10:54 AM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

Ok, I'm going to play the Piano for a while. Maybe have some Tea later. Feeling sick.

Old
10-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLuci View Post
Ever listen to house of pain? Were they at coachella?
Jump! Jump! Jump! Jump!

those guys?

google tells me Dre and Snoop covered Jump at Coachella

edit: my short youtube experience has led me to believe I prefer Dre and Snoop covering early 90's rap over GSYBE. GSYBE is good, but it is something I'd only listen to as background music.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 10-09-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old
10-09-2012, 11:18 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
edit: my short youtube experience has led me to believe I prefer Dre and Snoop covering early 90's rap over GSYBE. GSYBE is good, but it is something I'd only listen to as background music.
They are essentially an experimental chamber orchestra. You definitely have to be in the right mood/situation to fully enjoy listening to them. They'll never have universal appeal like HoP (Jump! Jump!).

Old
10-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
They are essentially an experimental chamber orchestra. You definitely have to be in the right mood/situation to fully enjoy listening to them. They'll never have universal appeal like HoP (Jump! Jump!).
ya I can definitely imagine them being great in the right mood. I feel like turning music off in most video games and listening to them instead would work

Old
10-09-2012, 11:27 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
ya I can definitely imagine them being great in the right mood. I feel like turning music off in most video games and listening to them instead would work
I haven't listened to the new album yet so I can't even really comment on it. Their music tends to be a little slow developing though. They were know for very long builds in the quiet/LOUD instrumental music vein of the late 90's/early 2000's. I can't even name any specific songs as I would always just listen to the entire album.

Edit: oh wait, that track you listened to is from one of their older albums. I still think it's a little out of context to only listen to a song rather than the album, but that's just me.

Old
10-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I haven't listened to the new album yet so I can't even really comment on it. Their music tends to be a little slow developing though. They were know for very long builds in the quiet/LOUD instrumental music vein of the late 90's/early 2000's. I can't even name any specific songs as I would always just listen to the entire album.

Edit: oh wait, that track you listened to is from one of their older albums. I still think it's a little out of context to only listen to a song rather than the album, but that's just me.
there are very very few albums where that is true these days. As I've only listened to that one song, I have no idea about them. Older albums tended to feel like an actual album more often than newer albums that are typically vessels to deliver a collection of singles. The last new album I can remember really feeling "off" when you break it into singles was The Killers Hot Fuss. And even it had two or three songs that are pretty obvious singles. Other than that, I'd honestly say Eminem puts out more cohesive albums than most artists I listen to these days.

Old
10-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Not yet. I preordered it and it comes out next week. I'm trying to be a good boy and wait for it so I can listen to it properly.

Ogre, I'd say a pretty large portion of my favorite bands put together cohesive albums. Outside of GY!BE (which is definitely a whole-album experience) the most relevant current example would be The Antlers. I always prefer to consume the full album when I listen to music, so I tend to give a lot more credence to a band that can sustain a good tone throughout an album more than a CD that has 2-3 good songs and a bunch of filler.

Also my avatar is from Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven, an album I've probably listened to more than any other.

I usually post the same songs from these bands...so I'll switch it up a bit.

The key lesson to be learned here is that if an album features two disembodied hands floating near each other, you're going to have a great album.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 10-09-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old
10-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Not yet. I preordered it and it comes out next week. I'm trying to be a good boy and wait for it so I can listen to it properly.

Ogre, I'd say a pretty large portion of my favorite bands put together cohesive albums. Outside of GY!BE (which is definitely a whole-album experience) the most relevant current example would be The Antlers. I always prefer to consume the full album when I listen to music, so I tend to give a lot more credence to a band that can sustain a good tone throughout an album more than a CD that has 2-3 good songs and a bunch of filler.

Also my avatar is from Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven, an album I've probably listened to more than any other.
never heard of the antlers.

and I almost always listen to music on random. I have different genre playlists if I'm in a mood, but typically I just have like 3000 songs on shuffle. Sometimes I even go all out and shuffle with the 7500 song list, but then I get weird things like tv show theme songs and christmas music

The Wall from Pink Floyd is the only album I listen to as a full album with any regularity, and thats because you basically have to

Old
10-09-2012, 11:49 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
there are very very few albums where that is true these days. As I've only listened to that one song, I have no idea about them. Older albums tended to feel like an actual album more often than newer albums that are typically vessels to deliver a collection of singles. The last new album I can remember really feeling "off" when you break it into singles was The Killers Hot Fuss. And even it had two or three songs that are pretty obvious singles. Other than that, I'd honestly say Eminem puts out more cohesive albums than most artists I listen to these days.
Yes, but this is far from a mainstream act that puts out singles. They live(d) together on a collective and actually broke up because they felt like they were getting too popular (IIRC). They are actually quite political, but not in the liberal/conservative sense. More of a social commentary on material existence. I think their music is meant to be a vehicle towards escaping that kind of existence and appreciating the beauty of the natural world and agenda-free social interaction. Of course, they do this in a rather bleak tone at (most) times. I doubt you would ever hear a single from them in a car or cell phone commercial. Don't tell that to this guy though:

Old
10-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

They're an anarchist band and felt that they couldn't continue making the music that they wanted to in a 'Post 9/11 world'. I'm intrigued to see how the decade has changed them.

They don't have any lyrics in their songs (I do highly suggest checking out A Silver Mount Zion, which was formed from the ashes of GY!BE after the indefinite hiatus, which alternates the instrumentals with songs with actual lyrics), but it's clear what their positions are on a lot of things just by the sound clips they use in their songs.

Old
10-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

I promise you I will never "get" the social commentary in music without words slapping me in the face with the agenda. Admitedly, that's probably because I'll never look for it. I really have no interest in social commentary. I listen to music based on if it sounds good or not.

I can get mood and whatnot. I'm not a complete philistine.

Old
10-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Well they don't do it in a way that is overwhelming (well...some Zion songs do)...but the music is way too good to be brought down by it. I'm about as far from an Anarchist as you can get and I still adore them.

Old
10-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

I'm 4 minutes into that first song and I want to go to sleep no not really, the music is really good. But where are they from? This singer is hard to understand

Closed Thread