HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Klaus Catsby, Esquire

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-09-2012, 12:00 PM
  #401
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 54,234
vCash: 422
You have no soul.

__________________
“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:01 PM
  #402
UnrealMachine
Registered User
 
UnrealMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Well they don't do it in a way that is overwhelming (well...some Zion songs do)...but the music is way too good to be brought down by it. I'm about as far from an Anarchist as you can get and I still adore them.
Yeah, they don't have a "for anarchists, by anarchists" agenda. They just produce music that is meant to be a little more than something to tap your finger to. It can be less than that though if you chose. Go USA!

UnrealMachine is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:01 PM
  #403
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
You have no soul.
I edited. but really, I have no idea what he's saying. this would be way better without words

Ogrezilla is online now  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:05 PM
  #404
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,547
vCash: 500
I also just edited my last post because I made fun of his enunciating. Then I realized he might not be speaking english and I might look really dumb. I checked and he is speaking english. So I am back to thinking the singing is bad.

Ogrezilla is online now  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:07 PM
  #405
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,547
vCash: 500
ok at 11 minutes I can understand him saying there is a light. good good.

I think I'll go back to the ones without lyrics.

Ogrezilla is online now  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:08 PM
  #406
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 54,234
vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I edited. but really, I have no idea what he's saying. this would be way better without words
He's not singing, he's reciting parts from an unfinished screenplay from the band's leader Efrim Menuck (he and the band hail from Montreal).

It's some old guy reciting it...aside from that I have no clue who it is.

edit: Oh, you're listening to the Zion stuff. Yeah, he's not known for being the clearest singer in the world. That's part of his style. There are a lot of songs where he enunciates more clearly, but his jumped speech lends to the motif of a large portion of his songs.

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:11 PM
  #407
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
He's not singing, he's reciting parts from an unfinished screenplay from the band's leader Efrim Menuck (he and the band hail from Montreal).

It's some old guy reciting it...aside from that I have no clue who it is.

edit: Oh, you're listening to the Zion stuff. Yeah, he's not known for being the clearest singer in the world.
I literally checked if he was speaking english. that's well beyond "not the clearest singer in the world"

the music is good though. not Snoop and Dre singing Jump good. but still pretty good.

Ogrezilla is online now  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:12 PM
  #408
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 54,234
vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I literally checked if he was speaking english. that's well beyond "not the clearest singer in the world"
the music is good though.

the music is good though. not Snoop and Dre singing Jump good. but still pretty good.
Well, he does do a good bit of stuff in French...so...yeah. You basically do need to be reading the lyrics as he's singing with a lot of it though. It's intentional...there's a lot of songs where the vocals volume is way lower than everything else. A Silver Mount Zion appeals to an even narrower niche than GY!BE for a good reason

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:15 PM
  #409
UnrealMachine
Registered User
 
UnrealMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,357
vCash: 500
Big McL,

Did you ever listen to Stars of the Lid? Also on the Kranky label. Probably my favorite act after Motley Crue.

UnrealMachine is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:17 PM
  #410
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,547
vCash: 500
meanwhile, Pearl Jam is one of my favorite bands.

even better, pearl jam with fake lyrics

Ogrezilla is online now  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:18 PM
  #411
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 54,234
vCash: 422
Eddie Vedder's voice makes me want to strangle people. Preferably Eddie Vedder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
Big McL,

Did you ever listen to Stars of the Lid? Also on the Kranky label. Probably my favorite act after Motley Crue.
I haven't listened to them for a while, but a couple hard drives ago I had all of their stuff. I liked them a bit.

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:19 PM
  #412
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,398
vCash: 500
Never been a Pearl Jam fan or really most of the radio rock scene. Of course, I'm sure I like a lot of bands people find annoying so to each his own.

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:19 PM
  #413
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Eddie Vedder's voice makes me want to strangle people. Preferably Eddie Vedder.
you have no soul

Ogrezilla is online now  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:21 PM
  #414
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Never been a Pearl Jam fan or really most of the radio rock scene. Of course, I'm sure I like a lot of bands people find annoying so to each his own.
any youtube links I can make fun of? apparently that's what I'm doing today

I don't honestly know where I find my music. I guess the radio indirectly. I don't listen to the radio but I assume the people I get my musical tastes from must. I don't go out of my way to find music. But I have a lot of it. Just got the new Ben Folds Five album a few minutes ago, need to give that a listen.


Last edited by Ogrezilla: 10-09-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Ogrezilla is online now  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:22 PM
  #415
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 54,234
vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
you have no soul
Eddie Vedder has no place on this Earth.


There's a lot of things I have an irrational hatred for...my hatred of Pearl Jam is entirely rational.

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:29 PM
  #416
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
any youtube links I can make fun of? apparently that's what I'm doing today
I would love to. Unfortunately, I can't really be a real part of this conversation since youtube is blocked at work. I would say my all time favorite bands/artists are:

Bayside, The Early November, Copeland, Manchester Orchestra, Every Time I Die, Underoath, Owen, Elliott Smith, Say Anything, The Format/Fun (same lead singer), Fall Out Boy (go ahead and make fun), Thursday, Death Cab for Cutie, Kanye West (all but his most recent), Talib Kweli.

Not a complete list and in no particular order but certainly gives you an idea.

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:30 PM
  #417
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
any youtube links I can make fun of? apparently that's what I'm doing today

I don't honestly know where I find my music. I guess the radio indirectly. I don't listen to the radio but I assume the people I get my musical tastes from must. I don't go out of my way to find music. But I have a lot of it. Just got the new Ben Folds Five album a few minutes ago, need to give that a listen.
Yeah in high school and college I did a lot of music seeking. I was probably too into finding new music and always making sure I had the new album of the artists I liked. Now I just pick an album here or there of my favorite bands rather than going all out.

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:32 PM
  #418
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I would love to. Unfortunately, I can't really be a real part of this conversation since youtube is blocked at work. I would say my all time favorite bands/artists are:

Bayside, The Early November, Copeland, Manchester Orchestra, Every Time I Die, Underoath, Owen, Elliott Smith, Say Anything, The Format/Fun (same lead singer), Fall Out Boy (go ahead and make fun), Thursday, Death Cab for Cutie, Kanye West (all but his most recent), Talib Kweli.

Not a complete list and in no particular order but certainly gives you an idea.
Elliott Smith did Needle in the Hay right? Great song from Royal Tennenbaums. Don't like fallout boy or death cab and I've never really listened to Kanye.
never heard of the rest

Ogrezilla is online now  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:37 PM
  #419
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 54,234
vCash: 422
I remember 'finding' Elliott Smith in high school and being in love with his stuff...and then about 5 days later he committed suicide.

That was a bit deflating.

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:38 PM
  #420
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,509
vCash: 50
post-rock is a terrible name for a genre, but until avant-chamber music takes over we're going to have to live with it. surprised that there's been no mention of Tortoise. i still think they're the most accomplished set of musicians playing this cascading and textured amalgam of krautrock, classical minimalism, ambient space music.




GY!BE, Mogwai and Dirty Three are great as well. i enjoy Stars of the Lid but would say they're far too ambient to be compared with the "post-rock" acts. Explosions in the Sky are alright but i might go so far as to say they're a bit tepid in their outlook.

I've never really warmed up to Talk Talk or that Slint record that everyone says founded the movement (folk singer Bonnie Prince Billy took the now iconic album cover photograph - and i really dig him, the early work especially) and Labradford makes me want to stab my earholes with rusty tent stakes.


Last edited by Crafton: 10-09-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Crafton is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:41 PM
  #421
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Elliott Smith did Needle in the Hay right? Great song from Royal Tennenbaums. Don't like fallout boy or death cab and I've never really listened to Kanye.
never heard of the rest
You are correct about Elliott Smith song.

Fall Out Boy is a very polarizing group. Their first real album basically set the mark for pop punk albums for the next decade. Then they hit the radio with their singles. Honestly, and I know this is cliche, their singles were close to the worst songs on every album in my opinion. So people base their love or hatred off of those songs. I definitely understand why people don't like them

Oh and I forgot New Found Glory who is one of my favorite bands as well.

In general, my tastes range from indie and acoustic to pop punk/punk to "emo" to hardcore. I like various bands in those genres.

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:42 PM
  #422
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I remember 'finding' Elliott Smith in high school and being in love with his stuff...and then about 5 days later he committed suicide.

That was a bit deflating.
Yeah that was a huge bummer. I took a break from his music for a bit after that and then "re-discovered" it later on.

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:56 PM
  #423
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
You are correct about Elliott Smith song.

Fall Out Boy is a very polarizing group. Their first real album basically set the mark for pop punk albums for the next decade. Then they hit the radio with their singles. Honestly, and I know this is cliche, their singles were close to the worst songs on every album in my opinion. So people base their love or hatred off of those songs. I definitely understand why people don't like them

Oh and I forgot New Found Glory who is one of my favorite bands as well.

In general, my tastes range from indie and acoustic to pop punk/punk to "emo" to hardcore. I like various bands in those genres.
I like new found glory. I've probably only heard fall out boy singles. I tend to not like most punk but the bit I do like I really like a lot. Blink 182 is my favorite punk type band, but they really should have stopped after Pants and Jacket. the new albums are awful.

Ogrezilla is online now  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:58 PM
  #424
UnrealMachine
Registered User
 
UnrealMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
post-rock is a terrible name for a genre, but until avant-chamber music takes over we're going to have to live with it. surprised that there's been no mention of Tortoise. i still think they're the most accomplished set of musicians playing this cascading and textured amalgam of krautrock, classical minimalism, ambient space music.




GY!BE, Mogwai and Dirty Three are great as well. i enjoy Stars of the Lid but would say they're far too ambient to be compared with the "post-rock" acts. Explosions in the Sky are alright but i might go so far as to say they're a bit tepid in their outlook.

I've never really warmed up to Talk Talk or that Slint record that everyone says founded the movement (folk singer Bonnie Prince Billy took the now iconic album cover photograph - and i really dig him, the early work especially) and Labradford makes me want to stab my earholes with rusty tent stakes.
Oh yeah, SOTL are definitely in a different genre. I was just curious if Big McL (or anyone here) had heard them. They played at the Warhol a few years ago and the end of their set timed out to the fireworks from a Pirate game. It was almost too perfect. I tied to see them twice before here but one time i showed up late (fml) and the other time they canceled due to transportation problems (double fml).

UnrealMachine is offline  
Old
10-09-2012, 12:58 PM
  #425
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I like new found glory. I've probably only heard fall out boy singles.
Good deal. They are an awesome live band. If you ever like them enough to dish out $25, I'd highly recommend seeing them. I've probably seen them 10 times in my life.

Shady Machine is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.