HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Klaus Catsby, Esquire

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
You have no soul.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
10-09-2012, 12:01 PM
UnrealMachine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Well they don't do it in a way that is overwhelming (well...some Zion songs do)...but the music is way too good to be brought down by it. I'm about as far from an Anarchist as you can get and I still adore them.
Yeah, they don't have a "for anarchists, by anarchists" agenda. They just produce music that is meant to be a little more than something to tap your finger to. It can be less than that though if you chose. Go USA!

Old
10-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
You have no soul.
I edited. but really, I have no idea what he's saying. this would be way better without words

Old
10-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

I also just edited my last post because I made fun of his enunciating. Then I realized he might not be speaking english and I might look really dumb. I checked and he is speaking english. So I am back to thinking the singing is bad.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

ok at 11 minutes I can understand him saying there is a light. good good.

I think I'll go back to the ones without lyrics.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I edited. but really, I have no idea what he's saying. this would be way better without words
He's not singing, he's reciting parts from an unfinished screenplay from the band's leader Efrim Menuck (he and the band hail from Montreal).

It's some old guy reciting it...aside from that I have no clue who it is.

edit: Oh, you're listening to the Zion stuff. Yeah, he's not known for being the clearest singer in the world. That's part of his style. There are a lot of songs where he enunciates more clearly, but his jumped speech lends to the motif of a large portion of his songs.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
He's not singing, he's reciting parts from an unfinished screenplay from the band's leader Efrim Menuck (he and the band hail from Montreal).

It's some old guy reciting it...aside from that I have no clue who it is.

edit: Oh, you're listening to the Zion stuff. Yeah, he's not known for being the clearest singer in the world.
I literally checked if he was speaking english. that's well beyond "not the clearest singer in the world"

the music is good though. not Snoop and Dre singing Jump good. but still pretty good.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
I literally checked if he was speaking english. that's well beyond "not the clearest singer in the world"
the music is good though.

the music is good though. not Snoop and Dre singing Jump good. but still pretty good.
Well, he does do a good bit of stuff in French...so...yeah. You basically do need to be reading the lyrics as he's singing with a lot of it though. It's intentional...there's a lot of songs where the vocals volume is way lower than everything else. A Silver Mount Zion appeals to an even narrower niche than GY!BE for a good reason

Old
10-09-2012, 12:15 PM
UnrealMachine

Big McL,

Did you ever listen to Stars of the Lid? Also on the Kranky label. Probably my favorite act after Motley Crue.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

meanwhile, Pearl Jam is one of my favorite bands.

even better, pearl jam with fake lyrics

Old
10-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Eddie Vedder's voice makes me want to strangle people. Preferably Eddie Vedder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
Big McL,

Did you ever listen to Stars of the Lid? Also on the Kranky label. Probably my favorite act after Motley Crue.
I haven't listened to them for a while, but a couple hard drives ago I had all of their stuff. I liked them a bit.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Shady Machine

Never been a Pearl Jam fan or really most of the radio rock scene. Of course, I'm sure I like a lot of bands people find annoying so to each his own.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Eddie Vedder's voice makes me want to strangle people. Preferably Eddie Vedder.
you have no soul

Old
10-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Never been a Pearl Jam fan or really most of the radio rock scene. Of course, I'm sure I like a lot of bands people find annoying so to each his own.
any youtube links I can make fun of? apparently that's what I'm doing today

I don't honestly know where I find my music. I guess the radio indirectly. I don't listen to the radio but I assume the people I get my musical tastes from must. I don't go out of my way to find music. But I have a lot of it. Just got the new Ben Folds Five album a few minutes ago, need to give that a listen.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 10-09-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old
10-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
you have no soul
Eddie Vedder has no place on this Earth.

There's a lot of things I have an irrational hatred for...my hatred of Pearl Jam is entirely rational.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
I would love to. Unfortunately, I can't really be a real part of this conversation since youtube is blocked at work. I would say my all time favorite bands/artists are:

Bayside, The Early November, Copeland, Manchester Orchestra, Every Time I Die, Underoath, Owen, Elliott Smith, Say Anything, The Format/Fun (same lead singer), Fall Out Boy (go ahead and make fun), Thursday, Death Cab for Cutie, Kanye West (all but his most recent), Talib Kweli.

Not a complete list and in no particular order but certainly gives you an idea.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:

I don't honestly know where I find my music. I guess the radio indirectly. I don't listen to the radio but I assume the people I get my musical tastes from must. I don't go out of my way to find music. But I have a lot of it. Just got the new Ben Folds Five album a few minutes ago, need to give that a listen.
Yeah in high school and college I did a lot of music seeking. I was probably too into finding new music and always making sure I had the new album of the artists I liked. Now I just pick an album here or there of my favorite bands rather than going all out.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I would love to. Unfortunately, I can't really be a real part of this conversation since youtube is blocked at work. I would say my all time favorite bands/artists are:

Bayside, The Early November, Copeland, Manchester Orchestra, Every Time I Die, Underoath, Owen, Elliott Smith, Say Anything, The Format/Fun (same lead singer), Fall Out Boy (go ahead and make fun), Thursday, Death Cab for Cutie, Kanye West (all but his most recent), Talib Kweli.

Not a complete list and in no particular order but certainly gives you an idea.
Elliott Smith did Needle in the Hay right? Great song from Royal Tennenbaums. Don't like fallout boy or death cab and I've never really listened to Kanye.
never heard of the rest

Old
10-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

I remember 'finding' Elliott Smith in high school and being in love with his stuff...and then about 5 days later he committed suicide.

That was a bit deflating.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
post-rock is a terrible name for a genre, but until avant-chamber music takes over we're going to have to live with it. surprised that there's been no mention of Tortoise. i still think they're the most accomplished set of musicians playing this cascading and textured amalgam of krautrock, classical minimalism, ambient space music.

GY!BE, Mogwai and Dirty Three are great as well. i enjoy Stars of the Lid but would say they're far too ambient to be compared with the "post-rock" acts. Explosions in the Sky are alright but i might go so far as to say they're a bit tepid in their outlook.

I've never really warmed up to Talk Talk or that Slint record that everyone says founded the movement (folk singer Bonnie Prince Billy took the now iconic album cover photograph - and i really dig him, the early work especially) and Labradford makes me want to stab my earholes with rusty tent stakes.

Last edited by Crafton: 10-09-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old
10-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Elliott Smith did Needle in the Hay right? Great song from Royal Tennenbaums. Don't like fallout boy or death cab and I've never really listened to Kanye.
never heard of the rest
You are correct about Elliott Smith song.

Fall Out Boy is a very polarizing group. Their first real album basically set the mark for pop punk albums for the next decade. Then they hit the radio with their singles. Honestly, and I know this is cliche, their singles were close to the worst songs on every album in my opinion. So people base their love or hatred off of those songs. I definitely understand why people don't like them

Oh and I forgot New Found Glory who is one of my favorite bands as well.

In general, my tastes range from indie and acoustic to pop punk/punk to "emo" to hardcore. I like various bands in those genres.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
I remember 'finding' Elliott Smith in high school and being in love with his stuff...and then about 5 days later he committed suicide.

That was a bit deflating.
Yeah that was a huge bummer. I took a break from his music for a bit after that and then "re-discovered" it later on.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
You are correct about Elliott Smith song.

Fall Out Boy is a very polarizing group. Their first real album basically set the mark for pop punk albums for the next decade. Then they hit the radio with their singles. Honestly, and I know this is cliche, their singles were close to the worst songs on every album in my opinion. So people base their love or hatred off of those songs. I definitely understand why people don't like them

Oh and I forgot New Found Glory who is one of my favorite bands as well.

In general, my tastes range from indie and acoustic to pop punk/punk to "emo" to hardcore. I like various bands in those genres.
I like new found glory. I've probably only heard fall out boy singles. I tend to not like most punk but the bit I do like I really like a lot. Blink 182 is my favorite punk type band, but they really should have stopped after Pants and Jacket. the new albums are awful.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:58 PM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
post-rock is a terrible name for a genre, but until avant-chamber music takes over we're going to have to live with it. surprised that there's been no mention of Tortoise. i still think they're the most accomplished set of musicians playing this cascading and textured amalgam of krautrock, classical minimalism, ambient space music.

GY!BE, Mogwai and Dirty Three are great as well. i enjoy Stars of the Lid but would say they're far too ambient to be compared with the "post-rock" acts. Explosions in the Sky are alright but i might go so far as to say they're a bit tepid in their outlook.

I've never really warmed up to Talk Talk or that Slint record that everyone says founded the movement (folk singer Bonnie Prince Billy took the now iconic album cover photograph - and i really dig him, the early work especially) and Labradford makes me want to stab my earholes with rusty tent stakes.
Oh yeah, SOTL are definitely in a different genre. I was just curious if Big McL (or anyone here) had heard them. They played at the Warhol a few years ago and the end of their set timed out to the fireworks from a Pirate game. It was almost too perfect. I tied to see them twice before here but one time i showed up late (fml) and the other time they canceled due to transportation problems (double fml).

Old
10-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
I like new found glory. I've probably only heard fall out boy singles.
Good deal. They are an awesome live band. If you ever like them enough to dish out $25, I'd highly recommend seeing them. I've probably seen them 10 times in my life.

Closed Thread