HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Klaus Catsby, Esquire

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Shady Machine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
don't knock PBR. ****in' hipsters appropriating my immigrant father's beer of choice when he built the nuclear power plants that run this country in the 70s.

some essential hipster reading: What Was the Hipster?
Yeah that's always how I looked at hipster. I have never heard anyone identify themselves as a hipster. It was used almost as a derogatory term, much like doochebag. I would assume the term "bro" can also be used in a similar fashion.

Old
10-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
by the way, I have no idea if hipsters even exist. I have one friend who seems to hate any popular music. Talks about how they used to be good before they got big and stuff. I know some of that is bands legitimately changing their style causing them to get popular. But its fun to tease anyway.
People who look similar, dress similar, and do similar activities are often categorized together. I could pick out a group of "bro" looking dudes and classify them as a group (I just did) and call them something. That doesn't mean they exist as that made up group. It's all stereotypes.

Old
10-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
People who look similar, dress similar, and do similar activities are often categorized together. I could pick out a group of "bro" looking dudes and classify them as a group (I just did) and call them something. That doesn't mean they exist as that made up group. It's all stereotypes.
right. I think of it more as a mindset than a social or cultural group. Basically the opposite of a bandwagoner. My friend I call a hipster doesn't look like the stereotype of a hipster or drink pbr. but the idea of disliking music simply because it is popular is a "hipster" mentality to me because I don't know a better term to describe it.

Old
10-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

back to music. you know who sucks? Punchline. do people outside of Pittsburgh know Punchline yet? They have gotten way more popular here than they should have.

sucks might be a bit harsh. they are very mediocre punk rock.

Old
10-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
there's two phenomenon at play when talking about the hipster:

1. the archetypal hipster - those individuals (supported by trust-funds) that became so overwhelmed by the realization of their inherent power and privilege that they sought out authenticity for authenticity's sake and ended up gentrifying inner-city neighborhood. ******** for sure, but there is a wild-eyed and naive optimism to them, they actually thought they could soothe their guilt through appropriation.

2. the hipster as a derogatory term. this would encompass your friend and the like. who weren't at the vanguard of the movement, but merely adopted the accouterments of it: PBR, trucker hats, flannel, converse and the ATTITUDE that obscure must be better and the popularity of a given cultural artifact determines it's inherent value. even bigger ********.

tl;dr. they existed. they still do. they had some awful tendencies, but perhaps (some) of their hearts were in the right place. those tendencies have penetrated the rest of our society. we are not better off. but the label has become so diluted as to encompassing anyone in our society who shuns the commercial.

edit: why is scum-bag blocked?!

Last edited by Crafton: 10-09-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old
10-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

well my friend has that attitude. pretty much only with music for some reason. but its stupid

Old
10-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
right. I think of it more as a mindset than a social or cultural group. Basically the opposite of a bandwagoner. My friend I call a hipster doesn't look like the stereotype of a hipster or drink pbr. but the idea of disliking music simply because it is popular is a "hipster" mentality to me because I don't know a better term to describe it.
As the term is currently understood, that certainly explains it. There are legitimate reasons to feel disillusioned with a band, business, etc once they hit the mainstream, but many just feel that way just to be "cool" or different. For example, a band could change their music to fit in with what is popular. However, most of the time, the band becomes popular because of marketing and more air time. One hating a band because others discovered their music is juvenile.

I will say though that I don't like going to concerts once a band I really liked explodes. That's mostly due preferring smaller venues and a crowd that is connected to all of the bands songs as opposed to 1 or 2. I guess that's hipster of me haha.

Old
10-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
As the term is currently understood, that certainly explains it. There are legitimate reasons to feel disillusioned with a band, business, etc once they hit the mainstream, but many just feel that way just to be "cool" or different. For example, a band could change their music to fit in with what is popular. However, most of the time, the band becomes popular because of marketing and more air time. One hating a band because others discovered their music is juvenile.

I will say though that I don't like going to concerts once a band I really liked explodes. That's mostly due preferring smaller venues and a crowd that is connected to all of the bands songs as opposed to 1 or 2. I guess that's hipster of me haha.
those are valid reasons though, particularly the smaller venue. its borderline hipster maybe, but I'll let is slide There are always people at big concerts that you just wonder why they are there because they clearly don't know much about the bad. Example: A Paramore concert where I bet 500 people left after the twilight song was played.

Old
10-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
back to music. you know who sucks? Punchline. do people outside of Pittsburgh know Punchline yet? They have gotten way more popular here than they should have.

sucks might be a bit harsh. they are very mediocre punk rock.
I'm from Pittsburgh so I know them but yeah they are extremely mediocre. There's one song "Flashlight" that has the lead singer of Bayside, one of my favorite bands, singing in it that I like. They are known outside of Pittsburgh but rightfully never achieved success in other markets. I saw them play in Station Square on New Years several years ago and it was pretty bad.

So yeah, they suck

Old
10-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I'm from Pittsburgh so I know them but yeah they are extremely mediocre. There's one song "Flashlight" that has the lead singer of Bayside, one of my favorite bands, singing in it that I like. They are known outside of Pittsburgh but rightfully never achieved success in other markets. I saw them play in Station Square on New Years several years ago and it was pretty bad.

So yeah, they suck
i have a group of friends who has known them since before they got popular. Not just as a band, but legitimately knew the people. it makes it really awkward to dislike them They played a free show at my girlfriends college and I still felt like I got ripped off.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 10-09-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old
10-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
there's two pehnonomon at play when talking about the hispter:

1. the archetypal hipster - those individuals (supported by trust-funds) that became so overwhelmed by the realization of their inherent power and privilege that they sought out authenticity for authenticity's sake and ended up gentrifying inner-city neighborhood. ******** for sure, but there is a wild-eyed and naive optimism to them, they actually thought they could soothe their guilt through appropriation.

2. the hipster as a derogatory term. this would encompass your friend and the like. who weren't at the vanguard of the movement, but merely adopted the accouterments of it: PBR, trucker hats, flannel, converse and the ATTITUDE that obscure must be better and the popularity of a given cultural artifact determines it's inherent value. even bigger ********.

tl;dr. they existed. they still do. they had some awful tendencies, but perhaps (some) of their hearts were in the right place. those tendencies have penetrated the rest of our society. we are not better off. but the label has become so diluted as to encompassing anyone in our society who shuns the commercial.

edit: why is scum-bag blocked?!
Thanks for the history lesson. That was very informative. I just hear the term thrown around a lot that I just write it off.

Old
10-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
I have no idea. Hipsters probably used to listen to Mumford and Sons before they got popular. I get the feeling you would stop liking a band if they got too popular

I feel like hipsters don't like starbucks either. its too mainstream.
Keep in mind I haven't lived in Pittsburgh for a long time now...when I left the only alternative to Starbucks in town was the damn Beehive. In LA it's pretty safe to say the hipsters here aren't drinking at Starbucks...I don't even know what it's like in Pittsburgh any more, but about half of my co-workers fit the term perfectly...by it's 2006 model (which was still the LiC's 'archetypal hispter'), at least. What people think of as 'hipster' has morphed incredibly since then. I've never had any friends that fit into the second model of them...but I do know they were starting to overrun Missoula and they're everywhere here.

As for the not liking a popular band thing...you obviously don't know me too well. I promote the bands I love because I want them to do well. I get excited when I hear my favorite bands works in other forms (usually...there are exceptions, such as appearing on a Twilight soundtrack )...but I've never stopped being a fan of a band because of popularity.

I'm a bit of a 'oh they were better before they got popular' with a couple bands...but that's because they're true. Modest Mouse today (well...they've released 2 albums over the past decade so that's a stretch to pull, but regardless) is a vastly different band than they were in 1997. One is better than the other...but I still love Modest Mouse and I still love them to death.

Also Arcade Fire winning Best Album Grammy was just about the greatest thing I've ever seen.

Hipster, generally, is just a garbage term that people throw at anyone who has a differing viewpoint now. It's like when your grandfather calls someone who complains about their job a 'hippie'.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
10-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

i said I was at least half joking I know you don't like Pearl Jam, Mumford and Sons and Skrillex. That's about all I have to go on

Old
10-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
i said I was at least half joking
Oh I know...I just felt the need to defend myself to the other half.

Old
10-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

PS: I forgot the Grammys existed.

Old
10-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
PS: I forgot the Grammys existed.
So did I...until Twitter blew up.

Seeing idiot 14 year-olds (and Rosie O'Donnell) blow a gasket because their fake award show didn't go as planned...there is nothing more entertaining than seeing people lose their ****ing mind over something that literally has no effect on anything.

Old
10-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

PPS: I need to listen to old modest mouse. I didn't know they existed before 2004. Or after 2004.

Old
10-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

of course this will be nothing compared to what happens if Animal Collective ever wins a grammy.

durh. how can a geologist win a music award? does the zookeeper let the panda bear go on tour?

Old
10-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
So did I...until Twitter blew up.

Seeing idiot 14 year-olds (and Rosie O'Donnell) blow a gasket because their fake award show didn't go as planned...there is nothing more entertaining than seeing people lose their ****ing mind over something that literally has no effect on anything.
because Arcade Fire won? Who did they expect to win? I literally don't know who is popular at that kind of stuff these days.

Old
10-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:

Old
10-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
PPS: I need to listen to old modest mouse. I didn't know they existed before 2004. Or after 2004.
Modest Mouse. or Pavement for kids with ADHD. or Built to Spill for the Ernest Goes to Camp crowd.

hey i didn't know it was this fun being an ******* about music taste. i should try it more often. actually i try to be as open-minded as possible. i came to appreciate music very late in the game.

Last edited by Crafton: 10-09-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old
10-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Modest Mouse. or Pavement for kids with ADHD. or Built to Spill for the Ernest Goes to Camp crowd.

hey i didn't know it was this fun being an ******* about music taste. i should try it more often. actually i try to be as open-minded as possible. i came to appreciate music very late in the game.
there's no doubt in my mind that if I was in grade school right now I would be diagnosed with ADHD so maybe I should avoid Pavement. or are you saying Pavement is good for ADHD kids? If I like Earnest Goes to Camp, should I listen to Built to Spill or Modest Mouse? I'm confused.

Old
10-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
I don't get it.
Pavement, Built to Spill and Modest Mouse are often lumped together because in the mid-90s the three acts were hailed as "guitar-hero" indie bands. indie rock suffered from accusations that it actually didn't rock but Stephen Malkmus/Doug Martsch/Isaac Brock were (like their hero: Dinosaur Jr.'s J Mascis) amazing guitar players that could hold their own against anyone from the grunge/alternative bands that had now become mainstream (Peal Jam et al.)

that said, Modest Mouse became a bit more popular than the other two (in the long-run. i'm the same age as you guys i wasn't going to shows in 94 but Pavement were pretty big back in the day) and as a result Modest Mouse bashing is a favored pastime among Pavement/Built to Spill fans.

if you like Modest Mouse the other two bands will be at least interesting and more likely immediate favorites. i'm just making fun of Modest Mouse by calling it a dumbed-down version of the music Pavement/Built to Spill made.

edit: i'd probably be diagnosed with ADHD as well.

Last edited by Crafton: 10-09-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old
10-09-2012, 03:15 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLuci View Post
Stop falling like crap!
That was a typo this morning. I'm running on 2 hours of sleep so cut me some slack. I felt like crap earlier but I'm good now.

Old
10-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

success. no better way to ruin an ******* joke than to make the ******* explain it.

you sir, just got *******d

really though, thats pretty interesting and I'll need to check them out

Closed Thread