HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Klaus Catsby, Esquire

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2012, 06:40 PM
JTG

vCash: 500
I was just going to go in there and make them feel real sorry for me. Back to the drawing board.

Old
10-17-2012, 06:48 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I was just going to go in there and make them feel real sorry for me. Back to the drawing board.
lol I wasn't trying to be condescending. I just know a lot of friends who got some gull and went in unprepared. I hope they give ya it, man! Tough in this economy. I was not even given a living expense raise this year.

Old
10-17-2012, 07:00 PM
JTG

No I know you weren't. I just think it's about time. We'll see though. May wait until Friday

Old
10-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Til the End of Time

anyone ever bought a refurbished or scratch-and-dent laptop from reputable companies, ie dell or lenovo?

looking at buying such a computer for like 400 or so. stupid effing lenovo outlet website is **** up right now tho.

Old
10-18-2012, 10:32 PM
invictus

Is it worth busting your ass and dedicating all your free time to work toward something that may not happen? THe time frame of time dedicated would be either 2 or 3 months. I mean, on the one hand, if this thing worked out, it'd be awesome. I also don't have much else worth doing with all my free time. On the other, effort leading to nothing would suck.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:04 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
looks like i'm turning into "that guy" but David S. Ware has just passed away. an avant garde icon and a true legend on the tenor sax. i'm absolutely devastated by this news.

Old
10-19-2012, 12:55 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Is it worth busting your ass and dedicating all your free time to work toward something that may not happen? THe time frame of time dedicated would be either 2 or 3 months. I mean, on the one hand, if this thing worked out, it'd be awesome. I also don't have much else worth doing with all my free time. On the other, effort leading to nothing would suck.
Welcome to the life of a writer.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
10-19-2012, 03:23 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

I am literally in a mire of depression unlike I've experienced in nearly a decade. It's getting really bad, and it sucks.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:04 AM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Welcome to the life of a writer.
The short version:
I am starting a Master's program next summer. I want to apply for a FLAS fellowship. If I win it, ALL my tuition is paid for the 1st year and I get a $15,000 stipend. Pretty sweet, right?

Well, I want to do it for Russian. I only took 1st semester 1st year Russian. I can still apply for being at the beginner level. However, being at the intermediate level would make me much more competitive.

Options:
A) Just apply at the beginner level and hope the rest of my resume and such is strong enough to be considered

B) Take Russian 108 this upcoming Spring semester so I'd for sure get to apply for the intermediate level.

C) Bust my ass and try to test out of Russian 108 before I apply.

Options A is the easiest as it requires no effort It also gives me the lowest chance of success

Option B for sure gets me where I need to be. However, it is a 5-credit hour class, and being graduated now, it is effing pricey as hell. We are talking probably close to $1500. Plus the inconvenience of trying to make it to campus daily when I work and such. It would require an insane amount of schedule re-arranging. It may not even be feasible.

Option C would be ideal. I'd get to apply at the intermediate level, save money (I think there is a small fee to test out), and not have to worry about having a crazy Spring schedule. The biggest issue with that is finals week is mid-December, so I'd really have to crunch to fit in testing before winter break. The Spring semester starts only a week before the deadline to apply for the fellowship, so waiting until then to take it would be cutting it awfully close.

I did just email the Russian office about the whole thing. I am thinking *maybe* I should study constantly the next 2 months and take the testing out test. If I get it, great. If not, I can ask about redoing it right before the deadline since I'd have an extra month to specifically polish my weak skills.

I don't know. Writing this was cathartic. I now feel like a normal semester is 4 months and since I work this would be my only "class" and I can definitely learn a semesters worth of material in two months. Hmm.

Sorry team. I hadn't overshared and ranted in a while.
/invictus

Old
10-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Take Russian.

My old roommate is doing the graduate route at Portland State and getting a good stipend to do it to learn Arabic...but he still was rejected from a ton of other schools that showed interest in him (Michigan State was courting him and then rejected him anyway) all despite the fact that he's almost fluent in about three dialects already.

Old
10-19-2012, 03:17 PM
invictus

Quote:
Take Russian.

My old roommate is doing the graduate route at Portland State and getting a good stipend to do it to learn Arabic...but he still was rejected from a ton of other schools that showed interest in him (Michigan State was courting him and then rejected him anyway) all despite the fact that he's almost fluent in about three dialects already.
It is just tough because to take the class now would be around $1500 and even having the "intermediate" on my application rather than "beginner" is no guarantee I win the stipend. And that is an expensive gamble.

I am just going to study 3 to 4 hours a day for the next month and a half and see how the test out thing goes

Old
10-19-2012, 05:28 PM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

I just organasmed. Has any one ever done that before?

Old
10-19-2012, 11:40 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZappBrannigan View Post
I am literally in a mire of depression unlike I've experienced in nearly a decade. It's getting really bad, and it sucks.
I have an anxiety disorder and unfortunately it often leads to bouts of depression. It's literally the worst feeling, I know. Not dwelling on whatever it is that's making me depressed always seems to help, but of course it differs from person to person.

Last edited by Sh00terMcGavin: 10-19-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old
10-19-2012, 11:51 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Yep. Like just about anyone who counts 'writer' as a career I'm amongst the number of the depressed (and ADHD and anxiety and a few other lovely terms).

Between my mother dying, me moving somewhere that I honestly hate (I'm trying my hardest to find positives about LA and there are some...but ever time the thermostat hits 100 in October all goodwill is lost), and all of my friends moving somewhere that I want to be...things ****ing suck...the only thing that's keeping me sane right now is flooding my mind with as much unrelated stuff as possible. It all depends on the day if seeing that 'Hollywood' sign is going to put a grin on my face or send me into a downward spiral.

Old
10-20-2012, 06:43 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Yeah. These past twelve months have been absolutely crushing to me. The only good thing I've had in my life for a decade is slowly fading away, and it's my fault.

Old
10-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Oh God, I forgot what humidity was.

Old
10-21-2012, 07:07 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZappBrannigan View Post
Yeah. These past twelve months have been absolutely crushing to me. The only good thing I've had in my life for a decade is slowly fading away, and it's my fault.
Whatsamatter dude?? If you don't mind my asking.

Old
10-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

I'm with you guys, since my brother died on fathers day, (of all days!) life has been a constant let down. Easily my worst year/half a year to this point in time.

I don't have any complaints about my own family itself, or work, but something just seems off.

Brother dies, nephew involved with a possible manslaughter. Things would be a bit easier if hockey was playing and keeping my mind on happier things. Can the rest of this year just be skipped? Start fresh with a redo in 2013?

What a terrible low depressing feeling it's been for me.

Old
10-21-2012, 07:56 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

This year has been utter ****. My grandmother whom I was very close to died a few days after Christmas; my half-brother with severe, severe cerebral palsy has seen his health diminishing and start to get massive seizures; my mother learned she's going to lose the use of both of her hands within a couple of years due to some extremely rare condition in her tendons; my sister has had massive internal bleeding on and off for the entire year due to complications with her last c-section childbirth (to the point of her having to have blood transfusions regularly); my father has been having trouble with his kidneys and he's been in and out of the hospital; and I fell madly, head over heels in love with a girl just as she was moving back home to Alabama. We've continued the relationship for about 8 months, but it's EXTREMELY trying, especially with me not being able to find any work anywhere.

Old
10-21-2012, 09:02 PM
Til the End of Time

you folks suffering from "depression," have you ever considering seeing a psychiatrist?

unfortunately in our society there is a great deal of negative stigma attached to mental illness, which limits people seeking help. but a simply visit with a mental health expert can make a major difference in an individual's quality of life. meds, therapy, exercise, diet... they can all have a major impact on the symptoms of depression.

many more people than you would think are being treated for psych disorders; there truly is no shame in seeking help.

Old
10-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

I've seen plenty of psychiatrists in my life. I'm not right now for financial reasons, but I have no problem saying that they've helped me in the past.

The one thing I won't do is medicate it unless things get serious. I took medication (at a fairly low dose) for it for a couple years in high school and I became a robot and it completely stifled my creativity - which is the one marketable skill that I have.

Old
10-21-2012, 09:48 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

I went to therapy and was on meds for about a year after I had a nervous breakdown around 2004ish. Therapy was absolutely one of the best things ever to happen to me, but I cannot go at this time due to no money and no insurance. I would go back in a heartbeat. The meds, I wasn't too keen on. They made me feel the feeling you experience RIGHT as you're about to fall asleep, but 24/7. You know the feeling; you're about to pass out, your mind is completely clear of thought, can't really think/focus on anything, and you feel cloudy. I actually got a bit worried to drive and work, because I was literally on zombie auto-pilot the entire time I was awake. I eventually just stopped taking them, because the therapy actually helped me more.

Last edited by Coach John McGuirk: 10-21-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old
10-22-2012, 03:41 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Happier subjects...what's everyone going as for Halloween?

Old
10-22-2012, 07:16 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Grumpy Cat is literally the best thing the internet has ever served up.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

Quote:
Happier subjects...what's everyone going as for Halloween?

Evgeni Malkin

Closed Thread