HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Klaus Catsby, Esquire

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2012, 10:54 PM
Mr. T

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Well, if we agree that conservative talk dominates the radio and that the TV watching is fairly split down the middle between left and right, doesn't that still go against the idea of the liberal media controlling things? If one form of communication (radio) is clearly dominated by the right, and another (TV) is relatively split, but with Fox still generally reaching over 50% of all cable news viewers, I think it is a specious argument to try to push any sort of overall liberal bias. I mean, I get what you are saying if 3 or 4 liberal outlets exist compared to the 1 conservative on TV. I just think it doesn't matter when that 1 conservative one is reaching as many, or more, viewers yet still bleats about being drowned out by the "liberally biased media."

I guess, in the end, what I am trying to say, is that I am tired of whiny people from any part of the political spectrum The concept of 24/7 cable news coverage is an absolutely brutal one in my mind. I honestly cannot recall the last time I had a real conversation with anyone about a political topic. It seems that all too many people just quote talking points at each other continuously. I am in search of authentic dialogue!
Talk radio (political and religious) is repetition of a belief system.

The stories always change, but the simple message repeated behind it never does; "X event happened because political party Y hates America, etc." "This natural disaster occurred because people aren't praying enough, etc."

This can be applied to ideologically driven television stations as well. People tune in for validation of their beliefs.

But the "liberal media" nonsense is something people on the right say when news stories are reported that they don't agree with. People on the the left can make the exact same claim, but I think they might actually have a better argument. Look at the companies that own CBS, ABC, NBC, MSNBC and CNN. Explain to me how they're liberal. I could make an argument for CNN's ownership, but they're the most weaselly, wimpy of all of the networks. i.e. Two pundits argue and no matter how wrong one side can be, they always end with a "one side says this and the other side says that" type of non-climatic summary.

A few sources for good news have already been mentioned, another one is the Christian Science Monitor. Don't let the name fool you. They have some of the best unbiased reporting out there, particularly when it comes to covering international news stories.

Old
10-01-2012, 02:10 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Moving on.

October...the best month of the year.
The baseball playoffs (ugh).
Football season hits full-stride (eh).
College football season is in conference play (ugh).
Hockey season...uh...yeah.
And it's going to be 101 in LA tomorrow!

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
10-01-2012, 06:56 AM
Mr. T

Hooray for fall tv shows. Boardwalk Empire, Fringe, Person of Interest, Dexter and Homeland are all back.

Old
10-01-2012, 07:26 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

I'm sorry but if you don't think that 90% of the news media is liberally biased then you really don't know what you're talking about. I'm not getting into this anymore than I already did in the off-season thread below though so go there for my extended opinion.

Old
10-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I'm sorry but if you don't think that 90% of the news media is liberally biased then you really don't know what you're talking about. I'm not getting into this anymore than I already did in the off-season thread below though so go there for my extended opinion.
No offense (and I don't even necessarily disagree with you) but all you just said was "if you don't agree with me then you are wrong".

Personally, of the actual networks I get on my tv, I mostly watch CNN and try to throw in a little Fox just to make sure I'm not allowing myself to be too into the CNN company line. I also read BBC and other news outlets where appropriate. I will say, I can agree that CNN is slightly left leaning (which is where I naturally fall anyway) but of the 3 major networks, MSNBC FOX and CNN, they are by far the most unbiased.

Last edited by Shady Machine: 10-01-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old
10-01-2012, 09:44 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Hooray for fall tv shows. Boardwalk Empire, Fringe, Person of Interest, Dexter and Homeland are all back.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
10-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Boardwalk is one of those shows that I always want to start watching, but never get around to do it (kind of like Mad Men). I'm gonna have to get caught up one of these weekends.

Old
10-01-2012, 12:31 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I'd highly suggest Person of Interest to anyone. The show is so damn good.

Old
10-01-2012, 12:35 PM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

Can you say anything bad about Pittsburgh?

Old
10-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLuci View Post
Can you say anything bad about Pittsburgh?
I hate certain "yinzers." The kind of 50 year old, drunk football fans that call in and complain about how the Steelers don't run the ball enough. Very specific, but that's definitely one thing I dislike

Old
10-01-2012, 12:56 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Winter sucks and I agree about the 50 year old yinzers. After that - not really. We have so much stuff to do in this city. We have 3 strong sports teams, even if the Bucs aren't winning. Prices are not astronomical. Jobs can be found. It's a great city to raise kids.

Old
10-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
It's close to Ohio and West Virginia and is in the same state as Philadelphia.

Old
10-01-2012, 01:27 PM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
It's close to Ohio and West Virginia and is in the same state as Philadelphia.
But Philly is so sweet around the edges!

Old
10-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Florentino Ariza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Winter sucks and I agree about the 50 year old yinzers. After that - not really. We have so much stuff to do in this city. We have 3 strong sports teams, even if the Bucs aren't winning. Prices are not astronomical. Jobs can be found. It's a great city to raise kids.
So then you meant to say that we have two strong sports teams?

Old
10-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Florentino Ariza

The roads are absolutely horrible. there is little diversity or mixture of the races compare to other cities. Too, many Hicks in the city limits

Old
10-01-2012, 02:54 PM
cassius

Yeah good point. I find that in Pittsburgh there are a lot of "town folks" who live in the city. It makes for some weird situations.

Cities like NYC and Chicago are wayyyy more fun for 20-something folks who want to go out, meet new people, etc..

Pittsburgh kinda feels like a suburb inside of a city sometimes.

Old
10-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Shady Machine

The city is difficult to navigate if you aren't familiar with triangular cities, one way streets, bridges everywhere, etc. That's not really a drawback once you are established and experienced driving the city. I will just say that it is much more complicated than many similar sized cities I've been to (Cleveland, Kansas City, Portland).

On the flip side, the geography is the reason for that and Pittsburgh is such a beautiful city so I'd take that trade off any day.

Old
10-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Yeah good point. I find that in Pittsburgh there are a lot of "town folks" who live in the city. It makes for some weird situations.

Cities like NYC and Chicago are wayyyy more fun for 20-something folks who want to go out, meet new people, etc..

Pittsburgh kinda feels like a suburb inside of a city sometimes.
I'll agree with that as well. I think that's a "problem" a lot of former blue collar dominated cities.

Old
10-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florentino Ariza View Post
Too, many Hicks in the city limits
Hey, I take offense to that.

what's wrong with town folk?

Old
10-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
The city is difficult to navigate if you aren't familiar with triangular cities, one way streets, bridges everywhere, etc. That's not really a drawback once you are established and experienced driving the city. I will just say that it is much more complicated than many similar sized cities I've been to (Cleveland, Kansas City, Portland).

On the flip side, the geography is the reason for that and Pittsburgh is such a beautiful city so I'd take that trade off any day.
Pittsburgh is easy to navigate if you know how to get somewhere. But it is impossible to navigate if you don't. Oh look, I can see my destination. But I'm on a bridge and about to cross a river.

Old
10-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Florentino Ariza

That Pittsburgh is difficult to navigate is well known and charming, I think

But anyway.I agree with all of Coles points , Pittsburgh is a great city

Old
10-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Old
10-01-2012, 03:03 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Hey, I take offense to that.

what's wrong with town folk?
For me, the whole point of moving to a "city" area is to sorta live the city life - go out to restaurants, check out cool shops, attend concerts/sporting events, go out drinking, and also just to meet new folks.

I find that a lot of folks living in Pittsburgh can be kinda close-minded about these opportunities. Case in point... super nice bars can be completely empty on a Thursday night. Or if you're wearing semi-stylish clothing it's a 99% probability that you will be heckled by someone who is driving past you. I think also some folks can be very socially reserved for a city atmosphere, which is kinda weird. I mean... when you move to a city it kinda goes with the understanding that you're going to be moving to an area with more population density.

These types of things just don't happen in bigger cities with a more metropolitan feel. Don't get me wrong.. I've met a ton of cool folks in Pittsburgh, but there are definitely a fair share of folks I encounter who I think to myself.. "wow - this guy/gal should probably be living in Cranberry or some suburb".

I guess to summarize my thoughts - Pittsburgh is not very progressive in comparison to a lot of other cities that I've visited.

Having said that, I still think it's a great place and I couldn't be happier with my decision to live here.

Old
10-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Pittsburgh is easy to navigate if you know how to get somewhere. But it is impossible to navigate if you don't. Oh look, I can see my destination. But I'm on a bridge and about to cross a river.
haha yep that sounds about right.

Old
10-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
For me, the whole point of moving to a "city" area is to sorta live the city life - go out to restaurants, check out cool shops, attend concerts/sporting events, go out drinking, and also just to meet new folks.

I find that a lot of folks living in Pittsburgh can be kinda close-minded about these opportunities. Case in point... super nice bars can be completely empty on a Thursday night. Or if you're wearing semi-stylish clothing it's a 99% probability that you will be heckled by someone who is driving past you. I think also some folks can be very socially reserved for a city atmosphere, which is kinda weird. I mean... when you move to a city it kinda goes with the understanding that you're going to be moving to an area with more population density.

These types of things just don't happen in bigger cities with a more metropolitan feel. Don't get me wrong.. I've met a ton of cool folks in Pittsburgh, but there are definitely a fair share of folks I encounter who I think to myself.. "wow - this guy/gal should probably be living in Cranberry or some suburb".

I guess to summarize my thoughts - Pittsburgh is not very progressive in comparison to a lot of other cities that I've visited.

Having said that, I still think it's a great place and I couldn't be happier with my decision to live here.
I can't really argue with that I guess. I go to the same two bars on the same two nights with the same two groups of friends every week and neither of them are actually in the city limits. I can't stand the bars on southside or northshore because they are too crowded and I really don't care to meet new people at a bar. I can't stand getting around downtown. I also don't own any semi-stylish clothes and can't wait to move to the suburbs.

but I don't heckle people. so you aren't QUITE describing me

Closed Thread