HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Patrick Marleau

Old
09-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
There is nothing flukey about Glencross' numbers. He has continually elevated his game and numbers each season and there is no doubt that he would of "eclipsed" the 30 goal mark barring injuries and suspensions last season. Glencross has a very accurate and deadly shot, and I expect him to continue to show improvement over the next few seasons.
A sustainable 23.6% shooting percentage goes well beyond "accurate and deadly" and into "best shot in NHL history" territory. Since people started officially tracking shots on goal (sometime in the 70s), only Craig Simpson has had a career shooting percentage of 23.6% or higher (his was 23.7%). Even the legendary Mike Bossy only shot 21.2%. Lemieux, Kurri, Stastny, Gretzky, LaFontaine.. all elite goal scoreres playing in an era where goalies weren't even close to what they are today. None of them shot above 20%.

Glencross will not match that shooting percentage again, and his goal totals will suffer because of it. It was the fifth highest single season shooting percentage that any active player has accomplished. His career percentage is only 14.7%, miles beneath the number he posted last year. His next best season was at 16.1%. He's going to regress back towards his mean, and his goal totals will decline back towards his usual standards.

You're absolutely insane if you wouldn't trade Glencross for Marleau.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
To me, a very comparable player to Glencross is David Clarkson. Its obviously unreasonable to think he can maintain that %, however he is going to continue to get more minutes with quality linemates. Lets not forget that up until 2 seasons ago, Glencross was a 3rd and 4th line player. Last season was the FIRST season that he got legitimate top 6 minutes all year long. So while its unlikely that he can maintain that shooting %, his minutes are going to continue to rise and I expect him to break 30 goals this upcoming season if there's a full season.

And @ Mystlyfe, explain to me why Marleau is worth 4,000,000 more a season to a cap team. You could use the difference in cap space to add another 30 goal scorer or 60ish point player.

Last edited by Johnny Hoxville: 09-28-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Sharks4Life

Quote:
Doncha know it is fact that every player careers go downhill after they turn 30?

Its this typical mentality on HF that makes a poster lose all creditability to me. Absolutely ridiculous..
Like the mentality of HF posters who say that a player is a 30 goal scorer when they've never done it once?

Sharks4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
For all the many things that Glencross does so well, dollar for dollar he's arguably the most valuable player on the Flames. Strictly from a contract/performance perspective there is no question which player I would chose on my team. Marleau still has many positive aspects to his game, and if he made 4 million a season I'm not sure my feelings would be the same. But that is not the case, and I don't think there is many fans in Calgary that would be happy with such a deal. Regardless, it is highly unlikely that Marleau would come to Calgary because the Flames simply cannot part with the assets to acquire him.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 11:37 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Oh yeah. You guys have tons of forward prospects. Etem, Palmieri, Holland, Rakell, Karlsson, Smith-Pelly, etc. I'm sure we could work something out, and Anaheim is probably one of the only places Marleau would waive for.

The problem is that you guys don't have the forward prospects that it would take. Tangradi's looking more and more like a bust or a bottom-6 player, Martin is not what we need. I like Despres quite a bit, but he's not really enough of a positional need to entice me.
Eric Tangradi is currently twenty-three years old. Power forwards usually take time to develop. Look at Ryane Clowe for an example.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
For all the many things that Glencross does so well, dollar for dollar he's arguably the most valuable player on the Flames. Strictly from a contract/performance perspective there is no question which player I would chose on my team. Marleau still has many positive aspects to his game, and if he made 4 million a season I'm not sure my feelings would be the same. But that is not the case, and I don't think there is many fans in Calgary that would be happy with such a deal. Regardless, it is highly unlikely that Marleau would come to Calgary because the Flames simply cannot part with the assets to acquire him.
Marleau's stats are similar to Iginla's, so are you suggesting Iginla is overpaid & should be making $4m per?

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
I just find that he would not be the right fit for this team. And as I stated earlier, it may just be me but I feel like he suffers from "Alexei Kovalev" syndrome, aka shows up every night and puts points on the board, but I question how much he actually cares / shows leadership

At his salary and age, with questionable leadership ability he isn't what Toronto really needs right now.
Comparing him to Kovalev is just ridiculous. Marleau is the first guy to the rink and the last guy to leave. When anyone new is coming to the team, Marleau's normally the first guy to greet him and, in many cases, pick them up from the airport. A guy that got stripped of his captaincy, which spoke more to the entire team's failures in that particular year, will have leadership skills when he sticks it out, produces, and earns an A back. Marleau's leadership questions are whether or not he's vocal or emotional. He's just not that kind of leader. He leads by example with his dedication and team-first, second, and always mentality.

Toronto may not get the total package in terms of leadership but Marleau is not going to hurt them in that regard. He will only help them. And Toronto should be more worried about getting more and better talent and producers on their team than having concerned over every player's leadership ability. It's not like Dion Phaneuf is unquestionable in this regard same for anyone else on that team.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 10:44 AM
sabrescupbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Terribad. If Buffalo wanted to try to compete now and the Sharks wanted to blow up their core and rebuild, the return for those players would have actually include some of our best prospects, not B listers like Adam and Brennan. (Think Grigorenko, Armia, Pysyk...Quality young players.)

That said, I'd rather wait it out with our kids and (hopefully, if enough pan out) be competitive for many years, rather than trade them for guys who might only have a few prime years left.

Edit: I think Buffalo and SJS could make good trade partners for a "shake up" trade if both teams decide they want to change the look of the team without blowing everything up though. Like maybe Vanek for Marleau? Maybe a small + either way if it needs to be evened out.
The reason behind my offer, IF SJ was going to trade Marleau, it would be because there going into rebuild mode. If that's the case, why would they want to keep a 34 yo Thornton? Hodgson is a top tier prospect, I wouldn't consider Adam a "B" list prospect at all and Brennen is ready to jump in the NHL but can't because Buffalo's depth. Plus a 1st rounder. They have an option to keep Leopold for D depth or not resign him for cap space. Leino would just have to be moved so Sabres can make cap. That's what I would give. Even though those are two great players, your only looking at 2 or 3 more years of quality production. You can't give all your best prospects for a couple of years of service.

EDIT: what if i took out Brennen and put in Mcnasty?

Last edited by sabrescupbound: 09-29-2012 at 05:21 PM.
sabrescupbound is offline   Reply With Quote