Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 12:00 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Windsor has no picks until the 3rd in the 2013 draft, but has a first and four seconds now in 2014. It was also announced, though was never a secret, that Windsor will bid to host the 2014 Memorial Cup, so I assume they'll either try to flip them for a player now, or look to trade a couple 2014 second rounders for a 2013 second rounder OR use a couple seconds to move up in next years import draft as Windsor could have two openings after blowing this years pick.
I commend Windsor for still bidding...but in my opinion they're a long shot. A team doesn't get handed the hardest sanctions in League history only to have their butt powdered a year later by being granted the privilege of hosting the CHL's most lucrative event. Stranger things have happened.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:43 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Look at this cocky knights fan lol, just another one thinking that London is is the best place in the world and the only elite top notch junior franchise in the world...being realistic for a minute players want to come to Kitchener, London, and Windsor for reasons like just the atmosphere players like to play in a loud building with intensity with passionate fans
To bad that is not the only reason, otherwise kids would be requesting to come to Erie.

Old
01-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
To bad that is not the only reason, otherwise kids would be requesting to come to Erie.
You forgot the rest of the paragraph about the whole winning, Erie has a solid passionate fan base but IMO Just not the right management to make it a place kids want to play.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:16 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
I commend Windsor for still bidding...but in my opinion they're a long shot. A team doesn't get handed the hardest sanctions in League history only to have their butt powdered a year later by being granted the privilege of hosting the CHL's most lucrative event. Stranger things have happened.
Personally I don't think they will get it either but to say they are a long shot seems foolish. To begin we don't know how many teams are going to bid. You may only have 2 or 3 teams bidding so right there you have a 50% shot or 33% shot. London fans can discuss why they should get it but I still feel if you give London the Memorial Cup 2 out of the last 4 times it's been in Ontario it sets a horrible precedent and will deter other teams from bidding in the future especially if London wants to bid again. Does the OHL really want to be known as that type of league?

Old
01-04-2013, 01:23 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Personally I don't think they will get it either but to say they are a long shot seems foolish. To begin we don't know how many teams are going to bid. You may only have 2 or 3 teams bidding so right there you have a 50% shot or 33% shot. London fans can discuss why they should get it but I still feel if you give London the Memorial Cup 2 out of the last 4 times it's been in Ontario it sets a horrible precedent and will deter other teams from bidding in the future especially if London wants to bid again. Does the OHL really want to be known as that type of league?
Yes I agree with all u have written Rayzor,had London not been awarded the hosting in 2005 I would think they would definitely be the favorite,it all depends how much the league wants to snub the city,fanbase, and the support that has been given recently vis-a vis other league events by the people of Windsor

Old
01-04-2013, 01:39 PM
Ottomatic

FWIW, I've heard from non-Hockey/Spitfires Org folks, ie city hall people, that Windsor was basically assured of hosting the Mem Cup when the funding for the WFCU Center was being lined-up.

Also the way the penalties worked out - losing a first this year doesn't hurt our 2014 team per se as we can't trade the pick now and if we did the draft and hold-out trick all we could get would have been picks next year anyways and that would be after the cup was awarded. Also the fine is an interesting situation because the team/host committee has to put up money to host the Mem Cup, and what if our winning bid is $250,000 less than it might have been if we were never fined that same amount? Spits Ownership went from frank denials, to full admission for one first rounder back and $150,000 of the original $400K fine.

Last edited by Ottomatic: 01-04-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old
01-04-2013, 01:40 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
You forgot the rest of the paragraph about the whole winning, Erie has a solid passionate fan base but IMO Just not the right management to make it a place kids want to play.
Ya I know I wasnt saying that you implied it was the only reason, I just wish it was

Old
01-04-2013, 01:44 PM
BigBuck

Why are these last posts in the trade rumours section?

Old
01-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Tonester01

I thought this thread was for trade rumours?
Why don't London and Windsor fans just put the gloves on and duke it out instead of ranting on line.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
Because a London fan thought the only team a player really wants to go to is London, and I pointed out there is other destinations kids would love to play such as Windsor and Kitchener because of there fan base and winning mantality.

Old
01-04-2013, 02:06 PM
tjziel

Niagra Acquires Spits Jordan Maletta for picks

Breaking: First decent trade. Jordan Maletta to Niagra for cond 2nd rounder and 4th. Looks like Niagra might be going for it or its a trade to be closer to home

Old
01-04-2013, 02:19 PM
SimonKnightsman

If Niagara are spending assets on a project like Maletta they are certainly unloading . He is not helping you win this year...no way, no how.

Old
01-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonKnightsman View Post
If Niagara are spending assets on a project like Maletta they are certainly unloading . He is not helping you win this year...no way, no how.
Sometimes a change of scenery does a kid wonders....two recent examples? Kujawinski to Kingston, Smoskowitz to Mississauga.....

Old
01-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Windsor was the number one choice to host the cup. Depending on what they do personel-wise, I think they should still be the favourites. However, if they don't assemble a memorial cup worthy team, then it should go to London (as it stands, based on projected roster alone, you'd have to give it to London over Windsor). You don't want a Saskatoon situation where the cup host is in last place in their division.
If they feel that with the recent sanctions, coupled with the team the Spits will ice that London is the better choice I don't think it is precendent setting. It's just the better option given the circumstances.
With that said, the city/fans etc built the WFCU with the intent of hosting this and I really think the city/fans/team does deserve to host the cup.

I'm not pointing fingers, but just cuz Windsor got caught and punished, doesn't mean other teams aren't/weren't doing the same thing. Windsor has been punished, and I don't think that denying them the cup host should be part of the punishment. If that was the intention, I'm sure Branch would have said "and no cup hosting for you!"

Old
01-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Acad

Have always liked Harper from Erie, what would Erie want for him?

Old
01-04-2013, 02:32 PM
barto316

Maletta will help the Icedog's right away. Their depth is not good. They've had Joel Wigle and his 3 goals on the second power play unit the whole season. That said if they were going for it they could have made better use of the picks they gave up. The feeling around Niagara is that they will sell the big 3, plus Theoret and maybe Shipley.

Old
01-04-2013, 02:46 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acad View Post
Have always liked Harper from Erie, what would Erie want for him?
I honestly think Harper would be the best person to move on Erie. I have always liked him and he is a great leader but he would net the biggest return. If Erie trades him I think they must get a quality d-man no older than 18 that has proven he can play top four minutes and also maybe a draft pick or two. I know Harper has struggled a bit this year but he has picked up his play recently and did have 24 goals as a rookie on a bad Erie team. I would hate to see him leave but it could provide Erie with a good set up for the next two years depending on what their plans are in the upcoming OHL and import drafts.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:13 PM
OSA

There's a rumour on one of the Attack message boards that Owen Sound will be sending Artur Gavrus, a defenseman and a goaltender to an Eastern Conference team in exchange for a left winger and a conditional pick (in case Gavrus doesn't report). Apparently Gavrus does not want to play for coach Ireland and has asked for a trade.

I'm not too sure how accurate this rumour can be. The Attack don't really have goaltender they can add in a trade (maybe Evan Morse but that is merely a throw in). I could see a few defensemen on the move from Owen Sound so it would be interesting to see who it would be.

The deal for a left winger makes sense, and I'd be looking at Josh Leivo in Sudbury in this scenario, but the Wolves already have 2 imports so Gavrus wouldn't make sense.

The only other option would appear to be Mitchell Theoret in Niagara, but this would look like an overpayment on Owen Sound's part (depending on who the defenseman is).

Old
01-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Lazarrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSA View Post
There's a rumour on one of the Attack message boards that Owen Sound will be sending Artur Gavrus, a defenseman and a goaltender to an Eastern Conference team in exchange for a left winger and a conditional pick (in case Gavrus doesn't report). Apparently Gavrus does not want to play for coach Ireland and has asked for a trade.

I'm not too sure how accurate this rumour can be. The Attack don't really have goaltender they can add in a trade (maybe Evan Morse but that is merely a throw in). I could see a few defensemen on the move from Owen Sound so it would be interesting to see who it would be.

The deal for a left winger makes sense, and I'd be looking at Josh Leivo in Sudbury in this scenario, but the Wolves already have 2 imports so Gavrus wouldn't make sense.

The only other option would appear to be Mitchell Theoret in Niagara, but this would look like an overpayment on Owen Sound's part (depending on who the defenseman is).
Maybe to 67's for Graovac? We only have one import, need D help, however our goaltending is decent.

Old
01-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Loosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Windsor was the number one choice to host the cup. Depending on what they do personel-wise, I think they should still be the favourites. However, if they don't assemble a memorial cup worthy team, then it should go to London (as it stands, based on projected roster alone, you'd have to give it to London over Windsor). You don't want a Saskatoon situation where the cup host is in last place in their division.
If they feel that with the recent sanctions, coupled with the team the Spits will ice that London is the better choice I don't think it is precendent setting. It's just the better option given the circumstances.
With that said, the city/fans etc built the WFCU with the intent of hosting this and I really think the city/fans/team does deserve to host the cup.

I'm not pointing fingers, but just cuz Windsor got caught and punished, doesn't mean other teams aren't/weren't doing the same thing. Windsor has been punished, and I don't think that denying them the cup host should be part of the punishment. If that was the intention, I'm sure Branch would have said "and no cup hosting for you!"
Have you checked the WHL standings recently? Saskatoon has improved. They are second in their division, and sixth in their conference. They are also 6-4 in their last ten. Yes they had a horrible start to the season but they have improved significantly since then.

Old
01-04-2013, 07:04 PM
attackfan71

Quote:
Because a London fan thought the only team a player really wants to go to is London, and I pointed out there is other destinations kids would love to play such as Windsor and Kitchener because of there fan base and winning mantality.
owen sound has a very good fan base and is really starting to develope a winning tradition. so i hope we start to see some of the star players asking to be traded here

Old
01-04-2013, 07:26 PM
highstickside

How do you think we got Catenacci?

Old
01-04-2013, 07:42 PM
dogfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSA View Post

Don't think it is Niagara.

Old
01-05-2013, 01:06 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
Good question, so good in fact I decided to start a 2014 Memorial Cup Location thread so that we can move the discussion over there. I even tried to put some real thought into the analysis. Not sure how Brock does it...

Old
01-05-2013, 09:36 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Ryan Yessie ‏@RyanHPscout
Ottawa 67's trade F Tyler Graovac to Belleville Bulls for F Sergey Kuptsov, 2nd in 2014, 3rd in 2015 (NIA), & conditional 7th in 2014. #OHL

Closed Thread