HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

2012-2013 Trade Rumours

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 02:50 PM
GangGreen

vCash: 500
I still can't figure out why some Knights fans think Raine is a sought after trade commodity. He's a steady 5 or 6 d-man who can throw a big hit, but he's 19. No team will want a 19 year old d-man in return for another.
That being said, don't see the Knights needing Cici. Better to keep Raine and Liberati as 6th and 7th D.

As for Khoko, still think he would be a great fit with the Russian delegation in Sarnia.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:35 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangGreen View Post
I still can't figure out why some Knights fans think Raine is a sought after trade commodity. He's a steady 5 or 6 d-man who can throw a big hit, but he's 19. No team will want a 19 year old d-man in return for another.
That being said, don't see the Knights needing Cici. Better to keep Raine and Liberati as 6th and 7th D.

As for Khoko, still think he would be a great fit with the Russian delegation in Sarnia.
This is a good post.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:49 PM
aresknights

I think maybe some fans see Raine as expendable more than sought after, therefore the speculation. Just speculating myself
He wouldnt hurt a club if moved to them but isnt a key piece either, just a piece. More valuable for a team wanting a decent OA dman next year.

With the freebie D here now, I still sould like a F or 2 to round out the lineup.
A) A scorer
B) maybe a vet energy guy for the 4th line.

I think you could get both for 3/4 roster guys and a few good picks, not using the entire cupboard of assets

Fans starting to get on the Gibson bandwagon. Ill leave that up to Mark. Im not even going to guess on that. Big cost for sure, but if they feel its neccessary......

Old
01-05-2013, 03:51 PM
dino200022

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
I think maybe some fans see Raine as expendable more than sought after, therefore the speculation. Just speculating myself
He wouldnt hurt a club if moved to them but isnt a key piece either, just a piece. More valuable for a team wanting a decent OA dman next year.

With the freebie D here now, I still sould like a F or 2 to round out the lineup.
A) A scorer
B) maybe a vet energy guy for the 4th line.

I think you could get both for 3/4 roster guys and a few good picks, not using the entire cupboard of assets

Fans starting to get on the Gibson bandwagon. Ill leave that up to Mark. Im not even going to guess on that. Big cost for sure, but if they feel its neccessary......
Having Gibson would be a huge bonus but is it worth throwing 2014 away for him cause he wont be cheap!

Old
01-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Snippit

I think the cost of Gibson would be too hefty. I'm fairly comfortable with Patterson. He doesn't need to steal any games, just needs to play the way he has all year. The D in front of him is pretty strong, too.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:58 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
I think the cost of Gibson would be too hefty. I'm fairly comfortable with Patterson. He doesn't need to steal any games, just needs to play the way he has all year. The D in front of him is pretty strong, too.
I tend to agree with the 2 above posts but if MArk feels its necessary.....

Old
01-05-2013, 04:50 PM
FrontenacSens

Anybody have any Frontenacs rumors?

Old
01-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Snippit

Looks like some teams are bidding for Koekkoek right now.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:01 PM
ohlnhockeynut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaBullsfan View Post
Wow I sure hope so, KoKo would be killer on the big ice! If the bulls want to go all in then I say go for it! Does anyone know if KoKo and Zharkov are friends at all, because that might be the tipping point?
Koko and Zharkov are friends, and the rumour is that he would be willing to come

Old
01-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
This is a good post.
I disagree, this is not a good post. Yes the russian would look good in Sarnia.
Raine is a #5,6 defenceman on THE BEST defence corps in the CHL. It is very reasonable to say he would be getting top 4 minutes on another team. As an OA next year he may even get top 2 minutes. When you look at how a useless plug like Maletta was traded for a 2nd and a 6th, to compare what Raines vslue is against that isnt even in the same league. I assure you that if Raine was on your team you would be very pleased with the quality of play. To question why he is not valuable, to quote another poster on the same topic, frankly is uneducated.

Rayzor, I will however agree with you that Jammes is overhyped. Playing time or not I just dont see where people are getting their evaluations from, and ive watched a big enough sample size of his abilities and just dont like what I see.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:18 PM
ImaBullsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlnhockeynut View Post
Koko and Zharkov are friends, and the rumour is that he would be willing to come
Rumour tonite at the yardmen is Graham to Sudbury for Leivo? There is more to the trade but those are the main guys

Old
01-05-2013, 06:27 PM
ImaBullsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlnhockeynut View Post
What about this one? A package that includes Graham to windsor for KoKo and more????

Old
01-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
What about this one? A package that includes Graham to windsor for KoKo and more????
Spits don't need Graham, Petti would probably be the target.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:40 PM
ohlnhockeynut

Quote:
Rumour tonite at the yardmen is Graham to Sudbury for Leivo? There is more to the trade but those are the main guys
thats a good rumour, wink wink;

Old
01-05-2013, 09:02 PM
attackfan71

anyone hearing anything on the attack

Old
01-05-2013, 09:21 PM
attackfan71

i know what im about to say will wrinkle a few feathers but just trying to think outside the box. with london being as strong as they are this year and with kitchener wanting to make a run for it cue to their 50th aniversary . and you also have other teams in the east that will be wanting to add. maybe this is a year were owen sound can sell and really set themselves up for the next 3 or 4 years as not just contenders but closer to that odds on favorite to win the ohl. only untouchable would be binnington for simple fact we have no one to replace him with on to make a real run next year. and yes i know we are ranked highly in the chl but other teams are adding and i honestly dont beleive we have anything to compete with london. its just a thought and would love to hear what others think of my outside the box analyst

Old
01-05-2013, 09:30 PM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by attackfan71 View Post
i know what im about to say will wrinkle a few feathers but just trying to think outside the box. with london being as strong as they are this year and with kitchener wanting to make a run for it cue to their 50th aniversary . and you also have other teams in the east that will be wanting to add. maybe this is a year were owen sound can sell and really set themselves up for the next 3 or 4 years as not just contenders but closer to that odds on favorite to win the ohl. only untouchable would be binnington for simple fact we have no one to replace him with on to make a real run next year. and yes i know we are ranked highly in the chl but other teams are adding and i honestly dont beleive we have anything to compete with london. its just a thought and would love to hear what others think of my outside the box analyst
The second place team in the OHL doesn't sell. Binnington and Catenacci are going pro next season. We may be waiting a long time for a defence this good again. Next year is next year. I'm confident Dale will make a sensible purchase in line with his philosophy.

Selling is absolutely absurd for Owen Sound.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:35 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
I disagree, this is not a good post. Yes the russian would look good in Sarnia.
Raine is a #5,6 defenceman on THE BEST defence corps in the CHL. It is very reasonable to say he would be getting top 4 minutes on another team. As an OA next year he may even get top 2 minutes. When you look at how a useless plug like Maletta was traded for a 2nd and a 6th, to compare what Raines vslue is against that isnt even in the same league. I assure you that if Raine was on your team you would be very pleased with the quality of play. To question why he is not valuable, to quote another poster on the same topic, frankly is uneducated.

Rayzor, I will however agree with you that Jammes is overhyped. Playing time or not I just dont see where people are getting their evaluations from, and ive watched a big enough sample size of his abilities and just dont like what I see.
Maletta was dealt for conditional picks, he still has 2 years left in the league after this one. Raine only has value for this year unless a team has room for him next year but teams usually don't make those decisions 9 months ahead of time. Raine is a dime a dozen D that can be found on any contending team. Those type of D usually got exposed when dealt elsewhere and don't have the support system around him.

Old
01-05-2013, 09:45 PM
attackfan71

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan101 View Post
The second place team in the OHL doesn't sell. Binnington and Catenacci are going pro next season. We may be waiting a long time for a defence this good again. Next year is next year. I'm confident Dale will make a sensible purchase in line with his philosophy.

Selling is absolutely absurd for Owen Sound.
so it is better to give up assets and be a buyer and then lose in the 2nd round to london rather then add assets and set the team up for years to come. i realize how well we are doing this year and yes any other year i would agree with you but we need to be honest and take a good look at just how hard it will be for any team to knock off london, not impossible just very difficult they did not win 25 in a row by accident. then lets look at teams like sarnia and how well they have been coming on lately (11-3 in last 14 games) and you can bet guelph kitchener and plymouth will add which in my thinking will drive up the price. so with prices high for quality talent and the fact that as good as we are there is real good chance we dont make it out of our conference. i believe we could get a quality 96 and maybe couple 95's plus draft picks for next couple years. i know its hard to phathom but just take a min and think what this team would look like for next 3 or 4 years. then ask would you rather have strong team now that will need to play above their head to have a chance to get past london, or let london spend now along with everyone else and owen sound be set up for years to come

Last edited by attackfan71: 01-05-2013 at 09:49 PM. Reason: spellling error
Old
01-05-2013, 10:27 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
i realize how well we are doing this year and yes any other year i would agree with you but we need to be honest and take a good look at just how hard it will be for any team to knock off london, not impossible just very difficult they did not win 25 in a row by accident.
The last time a team won 24+ in a row and had a better regular season than London is having right now, that team started the playoffs with 12 wins in 13 games then got swept in the final. A couple key injuries at the wrong time (semis), an overtime loss in game 1 of the final at home and the whole thing went sideways. I remember all too well. If I ever forget, I'm sure Rayzor will remind me.

In addition to that, I think I read somewhere that of the 5 teams who have had winning streaks over 20 games in OHL history before this year, only 2 won the championship (one being the 2005 Knights). They may be the favorites, but there is a ways to go yet.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:42 PM
doogie24

Quote:
Maletta was dealt for conditional picks, he still has 2 years left in the league after this one. Raine only has value for this year unless a team has room for him next year but teams usually don't make those decisions 9 months ahead of time. Raine is a dime a dozen D that can be found on any contending team. Those type of D usually got exposed when dealt elsewhere and don't have the support system around him.
This.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:48 PM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

Quote:
so it is better to give up assets and be a buyer and then lose in the 2nd round to london rather then add assets and set the team up for years to come. i realize how well we are doing this year and yes any other year i would agree with you but we need to be honest and take a good look at just how hard it will be for any team to knock off london, not impossible just very difficult they did not win 25 in a row by accident. then lets look at teams like sarnia and how well they have been coming on lately (11-3 in last 14 games) and you can bet guelph kitchener and plymouth will add which in my thinking will drive up the price. so with prices high for quality talent and the fact that as good as we are there is real good chance we dont make it out of our conference. i believe we could get a quality 96 and maybe couple 95's plus draft picks for next couple years. i know its hard to phathom but just take a min and think what this team would look like for next 3 or 4 years. then ask would you rather have strong team now that will need to play above their head to have a chance to get past london, or let london spend now along with everyone else and owen sound be set up for years to come
Saginaw sold off a few years ago when they were a solid, contending team, and look where it got them. Nowhere. Trocheck is going to graduate to the pros with absolutely nothing accomplished on a team level in Saginaw.

When has a team in the Top 5 in the CHL at the trade deadline ever sold? The answer has to be zero. Nobody would be that stupid.

This is the same line of thinking some Attack fans had two years ago when people wanted to trade Hishon. But Dale acquired gilbert at the deadline and that was all they needed. They didn't have to go all in. Sure, that team didn't need much to be dominant, but the same principle applies to being where they are.

Why acquire Catenacci?

Who is to say the team will be better next season? Binner is leaving, and Hope is likely going to be a good starter, but not Binnington's caliber this season.

And what if another team is better than Owen Sound next season? Sell off then too?

There's too many what if's compared to where they are right now. The Attack, despite their abysmal record against the Midwest, are still 2nd place in the entire league. If they hold that spot, they'll finish 3rd in the Conference and that means worst case scenario, should they even get that far, they play London in the Conference Finals.

We're lucky to have two great teams in three years in Owen Sound, but there's no guarantee tomorrow will be better.

So the only answer is to buy. Get a forward, get two. Get Ceci, and boost the powerplay, which would be humongous. A great defensive team with a lethal powerplay is the kind of thing nobody wants to play against in the playoffs.

Selling is completely off the table, and we'll see this week that is what Dale feels.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:50 PM
OSA

It is generally assumed that next year is the Attack's "year". I'm not entirely convinced of that.

The biggest concern for me is in goal. Binnington is gone after this year and while I like Brandon Hope, there will be question marks about his abilities as a full-time starter. If he falters, who's the back-up? Taylor may be great but he's very young and completely unproven.

Losing Chiarlitti and Cutting will really hurt on defense as well. Not sure who replaces them. Middleton looked pretty good at the U17, but I haven't seen enough of him this year to feel confident that he will be able to eat up a lot of quality minutes for the Attack D next year.

Personally, I think the mission for Mr. DeGray is to find impact players who will help this year but who will also be around for the following season. If this means moving our underager in a deal for a guy like Sean Monahan (though not guaranteed to return) or Slater Koekoek, then so be it.

The fewer holes that need to be addressed next year, the better.

But definitely this is a year to add quality players. No selling at all in Owen Sound!!

Last edited by OSA: 01-05-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old
01-05-2013, 10:57 PM
shootscores

A lot of talk about London trading Raine for this player and that. I think Raine will be traded to a team that needs a 3-4 defenseman for this year and his OA year. In return I think London will be fishing for as high a draft pick or picks that they can get. Those picks will then be used with players such as Jammes and Liberati to pick up what they are really fishing for. As well they may need to do the same with Jammes and Liberati if a team is looking for picks more than marginal players. London will not get rid of any core players and I would speculate the highest ranked player that may go is Welychka but that would have to be for something special. As an aside, I see as an outside chance that Ferry goes to a team needing a defensive PK specialist to make room for an OA coming in.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:00 PM
GangGreen

Quote:
Raine has been top 4 on the Knights with Harrington and Maatta away at the WJC, and he hasn't played all that well. Did you happen to see how he played the OT goal against the Sting the other night? Ottawa isn't going to look for 19 y.o. Raine in a trade for 19 y.o. Cici. Jammes on the other hand gets maybe 5 minutes a game of playing time playing with 4th liners and has produced. He is a good prospect, buried behind the Knights depth. I don't think he's going to get you a Monahan, but I do hope he gets a chance somewhere.

Closed Thread