HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators Prospects 2012-2013 Season

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2012, 04:39 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
I believe Hockey Canada is very high on Ouellet. Mckenzie also has said he is a fixture since the Can-Rus summer series
Ah yes, the old Hockey Canada politcal game. Gotta have the Q represented and a few french names to keep those seperatist MPs quiet.

Old
11-26-2012, 04:40 PM
derriko

Puempel is on pace for 57 goals...I thought a 50 goal season was a reasonable expectation, but to be flirting with a real possibilty of 60 is down right amazing. Now Im not saying he will do it, but who was the last sen prospect with this goal scoring ability?

Old
11-26-2012, 04:44 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
Puempel is on pace for 57 goals...I thought a 50 goal season was a reasonable expectation, but to be flirting with a real possibilty of 60 is down right amazing. Now Im not saying he will do it, but who was the last sen prospect with this goal scoring ability?
Stone.

EDIT: also, Silfverberg lol.

Last edited by FolignoQuantumLeap: 11-26-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old
11-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
I don't see why he would have a lackluster camp, though. Maybe not good enough, but I see no reason why he'd play below his level.
I think the good news for Puempel is he will get a real opportunity at camp most likely, in so much as the team will try him with a playmaking center in camp, to see if he can carry over his goal scoring prowess against the very best of his peers. Given they played Puempel with Strome in the Super Series, gives me some indication they might try that again at camp. That bodes well for giving Puempel a legit shot to make the team.

At the same time, it will be very tight checking at camp and it won't be easy to score for anyone.

In the bigger picture, I think the most interesting thing about Puempel is he has produced pretty consistently as a goal scorer despite never playing with an elite playmaker at the OHL level. This season, the fact he has almost as many goals as anyone else on his team has POINTS, is pretty amazing. I don't ever remember seeing that happen in the CHL over an entire season, and I'm sure Reider and Faksa will catch-up a bit in terms of their points relative to his goals, but still pretty amazing over a 25 games stretch. By all accounts, Puempel has also been their best all-around player, which is encouraging when considering him for the WJC team.

Still, the team will be loaded, and Puempel wasn't invited to the summer camp, so can't count your cards he will mkae it.

As to Ceci, I think he is on the bubble. He didn't have a great camp during the summer from what I understand, and is likely behind Hamilton, Dumba, Murphy, Rienhart and Rielly. Also, they might look to round out the bottom half of the blueline with more defensive blueliners like Pelech, who also happens to be a '94 (an advantage). But he is definitely in the mix. Can't recall how many right handers are in that top group, which could be an advantage (or disadvantage) depending on the numbers.

Old
11-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
I think the good news for Puempel is he will get a real opportunity at camp most likely, in so much as the team will try him with a playmaking center in camp, to see if he can carry over his goal scoring prowess against the very best of his peers. Given they played Puempel with Strome in the Super Series, gives me some indication they might try that again at camp. That bodes well for giving Puempel a legit shot to make the team.

At the same time, it will be very tight checking at camp and it won't be easy to score for anyone.

In the bigger picture, I think the most interesting thing about Puempel is he has produced pretty consistently as a goal scorer despite never playing with an elite playmaker at the OHL level. This season, the fact he has almost as many goals as anyone else on his team has POINTS, is pretty amazing. I don't ever remember seeing that happen in the CHL over an entire season, and I'm sure Reider and Faksa will catch-up a bit in terms of their points relative to his goals, but still pretty amazing over a 25 games stretch. By all accounts, Puempel has also been their best all-around player, which is encouraging when considering him for the WJC team.

Still, the team will be loaded, and Puempel wasn't invited to the summer camp, so can't count your cards he will mkae it.

As to Ceci, I think he is on the bubble. He didn't have a great camp during the summer from what I understand, and is likely behind Hamilton, Dumba, Murphy, Rienhart and Rielly. Also, they might look to round out the bottom half of the blueline with more defensive blueliners like Pelech, who also happens to be a '94 (an advantage). But he is definitely in the mix. Can't recall how many right handers are in that top group, which could be an advantage (or disadvantage) depending on the numbers.
I think the only guys who are certainly over Ceci are Hamilton, Rielly, Harrington and Oulette. Then you have guys like Rienhart, Murphy, Dumba, Pouliot,Siemens and a few others who are on par, give or take, In my eyes at least.

Old
11-26-2012, 06:32 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:

I agree, I wasn't saying Puempel will make it... I just think if he doesn't make it, it will simply be because he's not quite good enough. He seems like a guy who plays hard and is driven, and I think he will feel more comfortable given his relationship with Spott. I hope both make it but realistically I doubt either will. To me, Puempel probably has a bit of an edge over Ceci simply because of the aforementioned relationship.

Old
11-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Icelevel
Best Coaches Coach

neither is good enough to make it imo.

,unbiased sens fan

Old
11-26-2012, 07:40 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Something people don't take into consideration is that people focus on players so much in terms of overall play that they lose focus on one major aspect Canada stones lacks, goal-scoring. Stone last year was that guy, Puempel will be that guy for Canada this year. He is the best goal-scorer available for Canada or one of the best for sure.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:55 PM
derriko

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Stone.

EDIT: also, Silfverberg lol.
Sorry I wrote the question wrong. I didnt mean ability, I meant actual production in any of the WHL, OHL, or Q. I worded it really badly haha.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:59 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Sorry I wrote the question wrong. I didnt mean ability, I meant actual production in any of the WHL, OHL, or Q. I worded it really badly haha.
Ah well then. Pageau (at least while he was with Gatineau)

Old
11-26-2012, 10:53 PM
starling

Hoffman flirted with 60 for a couple of seasons.

Old
11-27-2012, 12:17 AM
Minister of Offence

As far as NHL goal scoring upside, he's right up there. His two first goals the other night against Kitchener were just dirty shots, especially the second.

Old
11-27-2012, 12:30 AM
derriko

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Ah well then. Pageau (at least while he was with Gatineau)
Uh what...JGP's high was 32 goals haha. Im talking serious goal scoring here.

Hoffman was close, but that was only 52 goals. So basically what im getting at is if Puemps scored like 55-60, thats something we havent seen in a long time.

Edit - Checking some popular prospect stats, Hossa had 45 in 53, which equates to 57 in 68 that Matt is on pace for.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:12 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Puempel easily has the most potential of all our prospects to be the most lethal in the offensive zone, most notably,the goal-scoring department.

Old
11-27-2012, 06:31 AM
Mathieu

Quote:
Uh what...JGP's high was 32 goals haha. Im talking serious goal scoring here.

Hoffman was close, but that was only 52 goals. So basically what im getting at is if Puemps scored like 55-60, thats something we havent seen in a long time.

Edit - Checking some popular prospect stats, Hossa had 45 in 53, which equates to 57 in 68 that Matt is on pace for.
Pageau had 23 goals in 23 games while playing for Gatineau last season. I think this is what he was talking about.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:59 AM
OgieO

Puempel is one of the best pure goal scorers in the CHL. Hockey Canada would be silly not to put him on the team imo. You need goal scorers in these short tournaments and he's got that knack.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
I think the only guys who are certainly over Ceci are Hamilton, Rielly, Harrington and Oulette. Then you have guys like Rienhart, Murphy, Dumba, Pouliot,Siemens and a few others who are on par, give or take, In my eyes at least.
Murphy was a fixture last year.

Dumba was the best player internationally at the U18's last year. Hockey Canada loves him.

Rienhart and Pelech are big bodies that excel on the PK and both are '94's, so if the team is hedging, they might opt for those those guys as the 6th and 7th given not every one is going to be a minute hog and get PP time. They might question whether Ceci will be as good getting only 12-15 minutes per game. he's never played a complimentary role with Team Canada before, where as both Pelech and Rienhart have (and both were excellent, as I recall).

With Hamilton, Rielly, Murphy, Dumba and Pouliot so good offensively already, I just don't see how Ceci is an automatic. Camp will be very important for him, especially given he has struggled a bit at camp before. But he has a shot for sure.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:03 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgieO View Post
Puempel is one of the best pure goal scorers in the CHL. Hockey Canada would be silly not to put him on the team imo. You need goal scorers in these short tournaments and he's got that knack.
Well, I wouldn't go that far. Team Canada didn't invite Puempel during the summer camp, so he has a big hill to climb to make the team.

And the wing is going to be hotly contested at camp. Jenner and Huberdeau are sure-fire locks on the wing in the top 9. Rattie might be as well. And Team Canada loves to have 3-4 forwards who can bounce around in a number of rolls, and I think guys like Hudon and Daneault have been so good for the Team already, they have spots to lose. Plus, center is so deep, they might move a center or two over to the wing, especially if RNH plays (Strome, Scheifele are locks). And then they might also want a few younger guys, with at least two of Monahan, Shinkaruk, Mackinnon, and Drouin.

The key question the team will ask about Puempel is, if he isn't lighting it up, is he still helping us? the good news is his two-way and overall play has supposedly been terrific in Kitchener which his coach can attest too, so that gives him a very real chance. Plus, he has some underated toughness and strength.

Camp will be key though, presuming he gets the invite this week (I would be surprised if he doesn't).

Old
11-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Minister of Offence

NHL goal scoring upside can't be evaluated just by comparing who scored the most goals in junior.

I'm not even sure Silf has the same pure goal scoring upside as Puempel has. But Puempel's still gotta show he's got what it takes to skate and play in the NHL before we can have any clue if he's gonna score goals in the league.

I imagine he's either gonna score a lot in the NHL, or a lot in the AHL.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:23 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 1125
Does Puempels goalscoring ability come more from good shooting skills/hands or being at the right place at the right time?

Old
11-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Does Puempels goalscoring ability come more from good shooting skills/hands or being at the right place at the right time?
Both.

He scores in pretty much all ways you can score goals. Backhand/Forehand, deflections, going to the net beating goalies in tight, quick shots, power shots from long range.

If you go to www.kitchenerrangers.com and watch highlights from the Otters game you'll see him score:
1: power wrister coming down the wing
2: quick release from the slot after taking a pass in traffic (this one was impressive as hell to me)
3: and generic rebound goal

You could compare Puempel's approach to goal scoring to Rick Nash's. Aside from the obvious physical tools that made Rick Nash a 1st overall pick...there's a lot of similarities in the way Nash and Puempel shoot, and the variety of ways in which they score goals. Like I said, the test for Puempel will be determining whether he's an NHL goal scorer, or an AHL goal scorer.

It's up to the Sens to make sure he gets the rest of his game to NHL caliber because as far as goal scoring goes, his caliber isn't common.

Last edited by Minister of Offence: 11-27-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old
11-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Well, I wouldn't go that far. Team Canada didn't invite Puempel during the summer camp, so he has a big hill to climb to make the team.

And the wing is going to be hotly contested at camp. Jenner and Huberdeau are sure-fire locks on the wing in the top 9. Rattie might be as well. And Team Canada loves to have 3-4 forwards who can bounce around in a number of rolls, and I think guys like Hudon and Daneault have been so good for the Team already, they have spots to lose. Plus, center is so deep, they might move a center or two over to the wing, especially if RNH plays (Strome, Scheifele are locks). And then they might also want a few younger guys, with at least two of Monahan, Shinkaruk, Mackinnon, and Drouin.

The key question the team will ask about Puempel is, if he isn't lighting it up, is he still helping us? the good news is his two-way and overall play has supposedly been terrific in Kitchener which his coach can attest too, so that gives him a very real chance. Plus, he has some underated toughness and strength.

Camp will be key though, presuming he gets the invite this week (I would be surprised if he doesn't).
Didn't Puempel not get the invite because of his hip injury?

Old
11-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

Will be hard not to get the invite scoring 11 goals in his last 9 infront of the head coach. Thanks for the hard work kid, but you're not even getting a chance to try out even though right infront of me you're showing me you're one of the CHL's top goal scorers.

Every year we see the coaches kids get extra love, and sometimes we complain, but either way, it's expected to continue. And Puempel's probably earned the tryout.

Old
11-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Will be hard not to get the invite scoring 11 goals in his last 9 infront of the head coach. Thanks for the hard work kid, but you're not even getting a chance to try out even though right infront of me you're showing me you're one of the CHL's top goal scorers.

Every year we see the coaches kids get extra love, and sometimes we complain, but either way, it's expected to continue. And Puempel's probably earned the tryout.
The coach doesn't come up with the invite list. They have another group that does that, although I have no doubt they will talk to Spott to get his feedback on Puempel. But the point is that if he doesn't get invited, it will be made clear it wasn't his coach's call. They'll say his coach advocated for him etc etc.

And there are a lot of eligible wingers who have 20+ goals (or on pace to) like Ritchie, Jenner, Mantha, MacKinnon and Drouin (15 in 19 games). Of course, most of those guys have a bit more offensive support, but the point being there are going to be some very productive goal scorers not invited to camp.

Don't get me wrong. I've been pumping Puempel's tires since his draft year and was advocated hard we take him with our 2nd 1st rounder that year. I love him, as he was similarly productive to Landeskog in his draft year, but with less support.

Old
11-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
The coach doesn't come up with the invite list. They have another group that does that, although I have no doubt they will talk to Spott to get his feedback on Puempel. But the point is that if he doesn't get invited, it will be made clear it wasn't his coach's call. They'll say his coach advocated for him etc etc.

And there are a lot of eligible wingers who have 20+ goals (or on pace to) like Ritchie, Jenner, Mantha, MacKinnon and Drouin (15 in 19 games). Of course, most of those guys have a bit more offensive support, but the point being there are going to be some very productive goal scorers not invited to camp.

Don't get me wrong. I've been pumping Puempel's tires since his draft year and was advocated hard we take him with our 2nd 1st rounder that year. I love him, as he was similarly productive to Landeskog in his draft year, but with less support.
Behind the scenes it's pretty much gonna be Spott's call whether Puempel gets there or not. The coach has a considerable amount of power in this, especially when it comes to his own players.

Closed Thread