HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators Prospects 2012-2013 Season

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2012, 03:57 PM
General Granny*

vCash: 500
When does camp start anyways?

I could see Puempel getting a hard look, he is top 3 in goal scoring and a natural winger which there aren't that many available for Canada, they have a bunch of Centers looking to play out of their position, and some look weak on the wing (MacKinnon)

RNH
Strome
Huberdeau
MacKinnon
Monohan
Schiefle
Jenner

Old
11-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
When does camp start anyways?

I could see Puempel getting a hard look, he is top 3 in goal scoring and a natural winger which there aren't that many available for Canada, they have a bunch of Centers looking to play out of their position, and some look weak on the wing (MacKinnon)

RNH
Strome
Huberdeau
MacKinnon
Monohan
Schiefle
Jenner
It's a fair point, but I don't think anyone is thinking they would leave one of those guys off the team for Puempel. I also think guys like Hudon and Danault are much more likely to make the team on an energy / shut down line, perhaps competing with the likes of Tom Wilson and Di Guisepe for spots on that line. And Huberdeau is a winger, while Schiefele can also move over rather easily. I think the 4 center spots will likely be RHN, Strome, Jenner and MacKinnon.

In the end, the forward units will probably look like

Huberdeau - RNH - Rattie
_________ - Strome - Schiefele
_________ - Mackinnon - _________
Danault - Jenner - Hudon (Di Guisepe and Wilson vying for a spot here too)

So you have four spots left, give or take with a 13th forward, for the likes of Ritchie, Puempel, Drouin, Shinkaruk, Monahan, Lessio, Graovic, Griffith, Lowry, McNeil, Leipsic and a few others I'm forgetting.

Spott as coach and him playing with Strome in the Super Series give me hope he has a legit shot, but it will be one helluva battle.

Old
11-27-2012, 06:24 PM
R2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Behind the scenes it's pretty much gonna be Spott's call whether Puempel gets there or not. The coach has a considerable amount of power in this, especially when it comes to his own players.
I would be shocked to see Puempel not get a hard look. To be blunt he's the reason Kitchener is doing as well as they are. He is scoring a huge percentage of his teams overall goals and realistically there have been quite a few games where he was the reason they won. I'm sure the coach recognizes this and will advocate for him. He needs a good camp to make it though.

Old
11-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
It's a fair point, but I don't think anyone is thinking they would leave one of those guys off the team for Puempel. I also think guys like Hudon and Danault are much more likely to make the team on an energy / shut down line, perhaps competing with the likes of Tom Wilson and Di Guisepe for spots on that line. And Huberdeau is a winger, while Schiefele can also move over rather easily. I think the 4 center spots will likely be RHN, Strome, Jenner and MacKinnon.

Huberdeau - RNH - Rattie

So you have four spots left, give or take with a 13th forward, for the likes of Ritchie, Puempel, Drouin, Shinkaruk, Monahan, Lessio, Graovic, Griffith, Lowry, McNeil, Leipsic and a few others I'm forgetting.

Spott as coach and him playing with Strome in the Super Series give me hope he has a legit shot, but it will be one helluva battle.
Those guys are unquestionably in the mix IMO.

Old
11-27-2012, 07:09 PM
source

Quote:
Those guys are unquestionably in the mix IMO.
If MacKinnon is being slotted in, then so should Drouin. The guy is incredibly good and worthy of top6 minutes on Team Canada IMO.

Old
11-27-2012, 07:28 PM
General Granny*

Why is Rattie on the top line, what has he done over Puempel?

Old
11-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
If MacKinnon is being slotted in, then so should Drouin. The guy is incredibly good and worthy of top6 minutes on Team Canada IMO.
Drouin won't get the same political boost as MacKinnon will..though I agree Drouin could easily make this team and be a scorer.

Old
11-27-2012, 07:42 PM
source

Quote:
Drouin won't get the same political boost as MacKinnon will..though I agree Drouin could easily make this team and be a scorer.
What I know is that he is no flash-in-the-pan, and I'm quite sure he will make the team. Stick him with MacKinnon and those guys will terrorize the opposition with their speed and skill. No amount of "politics" will put a player like Puempel ahead of Drouin (and this is no disrespect to Puempel; Drouin is a special talent).

On a side note, it would be so awesome if the Sens landed one of those two players. Every team needs elite forwards, and we will be lacking in that department once Alfredsson is gone.

Old
11-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
What I know is that he is no flash-in-the-pan, and I'm quite sure he will make the team. Stick him with MacKinnon and those guys will terrorize the opposition with their speed and skill. No amount of "politics" will put a player like Puempel ahead of Drouin (and this is no disrespect to Puempel; Drouin is a special talent).

On a side note, it would be so awesome if the Sens landed one of those two players. Every team needs elite forwards, and we will be lacking in that department once Alfredsson is gone.
Yeah I've never actually watched Drouin beyond a couple youtube clips. Sometimes the youtube clips are enough to tell a player is an elite prospect. He does some pretty special things.

Old
11-27-2012, 07:51 PM
source

Quote:
Yeah I've never actually watched Drouin beyond a couple youtube clips. Sometimes the youtube clips are enough to tell a player is an elite prospect. He does some pretty special things.
I've seen him in person a few times. He's the kind of player who "wows" you pretty much every time he steps on the ice.

Old
11-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Icelevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post

Huberdeau - RNH - Rattie

Except i didn't see puempel do anything with strome and i would put Ritchie, Drouin, Shinkaruk, Monahan,Graovac, Wilson, Lowry, Griffith, Lessio ahead of him.
Especially the first 7

Good luck to him, hope he makes it

Old
11-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
Except i didn't see puempel do anything with strome and i would put Ritchie, Drouin, Shinkaruk, Monahan,Graovac, Wilson, Lowry, Griffith, Lessio ahead of him.
Especially the first 7

Good luck to him, hope he makes it
Damn b.

Old
11-27-2012, 10:59 PM
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:
Why is Rattie on the top line, what has he done over Puempel?
One could easily justify Rattie over Puempel on their CHL careers to date. People have been throwing around Puempel being on pace for 57 goals. Rattie did that last year. 121 points total.

Old
11-27-2012, 11:56 PM
Icelevel

Quote:
Damn b.
Well i watched the super series and those 3 guys you highlighted were impact players, stood out and impressed me. But i didn't see puempel do much and he got to play in both games. He didn't impress me. It's not everything but it was a recent tournament with top players.
Maybe my memory is off? What did you think? Did you watch those games?

i'm being harsh. Basically He has a chance but it will be tough.

Last edited by Icelevel: 11-28-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old
11-28-2012, 12:09 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Well i watched the super series and those 3 guys you highlighted were impact players, stood out and impressed me. But i didn't see puempel do much and he got to play in both games. He didn't impress me. It's not everything but it was a recent tournament with top players.
Maybe my memory is off? What did you think? Did you watch those games? I trust your opinion.
Didn't watch em that close...but those guys will need to be exceptional at camp to make the team. Playing well at the SSS games is nice but it mostly gets you to the tryout camp...any one of those guys will need to pull a Marcus Foligno to make the team. Meaning, they've gotta be undeniably outstanding in pretty much every evaluation going forward.

Puempel's pretty well the same although he gets a significant advantage playing infront of the coach. The coach doesn't necessarily have to learn much from Puempel at camp...although he does need to show well.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:31 AM
Icelevel

Also went to the 67s vs kitchener game last month. Graovac was amazing. Puempel did nothing. I'm not trying to bash the kid, i like some things and see the potential but at this point there is too much lacking in his overall game.
Same goes for ceci on the bigger stage. With ceci though it's mostly decision making and you don't pick guys like that over solid dependable guys if you can avoid it.
Although i like both of them and am really interested to see what happens, there was maybe a little more than average risk in those picks in those spots. (getting off topic) Not that risk is always a bad thing, but i think they have a ways to go before we see their real potential.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Also went to the 67s vs kitchener game last month. Graovac was amazing. Puempel did nothing. I'm not trying to bash the kid, i like some things and see the potential but at this point there is too much lacking in his overall game.
Same goes for ceci on the bigger stage. With ceci though it's mostly decision making and you don't pick guys like that over solid dependable guys if you can avoid it.
Although i like both of them and am really interested to see what happens, there was maybe a little more than average risk in those picks in those spots. (getting off topic) Not that risk is always a bad thing, but i think they have a ways to go before we see their real potential.
Do you really think Puempel does nothing on a consistent basis?

It pretty well goes without saying his chances are better than Graovac's anyways.

Sometimes you have to take the minimal amounts you see of these players with a grain of salt and realize there's been professional eyes on them constantly all season and beyond that.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:51 AM
starling

vCash: 50
Quote:
Also went to the 67s vs kitchener game last month. Graovac was amazing. Puempel did nothing. .
I was at that game too. He played on a line with 2 scrubs who had 1 point between them, 15 games into the season.
Not sure what was that about but it certainly didn't work for Kitchener. 2-8 I believe.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:16 AM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

Quote:

Its not necessarily politics, its physical and mental maturity that makes Puempel more valuable than Drouin. As great as Droin is, and as much as he more than likely will surpass Puempel, he is 2 years younger. This usually plays more of a factor than politics.

I still have a good feeling Puempel makes it because of the role he's taken on with Kitchener this year. I'm hoping familiarity will give us a Senator to watch on team Canada this Christmas.

Old
11-28-2012, 11:02 AM
General Granny*

Well we jinxed it, he got injured last night.

Old
11-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Inf4mous0ne

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Well we jinxed it, he got injured last night.
Further examination revealed the sniper suffered a stinger or slight sprain and is listed as day-to-day.

“It was just a routine hit,” said Kitchener head coach and general manager Steve Spott. “He went up against the boards and came off. From what the doctors have told me it wasn’t something that is going to be long term.”

http://www.therecord.com/sports/rang...et-for-rangers

Don't scare me like that

Old
11-28-2012, 12:25 PM
SenzZen
Rik Norris

You need to do something besides score goals to crack the top 6 at the WJC.

Puempel strikes me as a Toffoli-esque player- and they tend to be cheering for Team Canada just like the rest of us come tourney time.

Old
11-28-2012, 12:48 PM
sg58

A week or so before he'll be announced as one of the defensemen on the Swedish WJC roster, Mikael Wikstrand is quarterbacking a power play for Mora with Bobby Ryan and Anze Kopitar. Could have a worse time leading up to that tournament.

Old
11-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Icelevel

Quote:

It pretty well goes without saying his chances are better than Graovac's anyways.

Sometimes you have to take the minimal amounts you see of these players with a grain of salt and realize there's been professional eyes on them constantly all season and beyond that.
What i think is that he may not do enough to play among the very best 12 forwards. i have seen him many other times. those were examples of the last time i saw him live and the last time i saw them in a big tournament. not irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling View Post
I was at that game too. He played on a line with 2 scrubs who had 1 point between them, 15 games into the season.
Not sure what was that about but it certainly didn't work for Kitchener. 2-8 I believe.
he played with alberga and marcantuoni most of the time as well as all pp. just a report that the last time i saw him live (that game) he was not impressive. take it for what it's worth.

BUT, i do think he has a chance. 21 goals in 26 games is impressive.

Last edited by Icelevel: 11-28-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old
11-28-2012, 02:39 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:

I must say, Graovic looked pretty darn good in the Super Series, and he was outscoring Puempel before he got hurt, too. I'm not saying Puempel shouldn't be considered ahead of Graovic (i'd go with Puempel), but I wouldn't dismiss the possibility so quickly. Team Canada is always full of a few surprises and I don't think a decision on Puempel will be a big surprise either way.

Closed Thread