HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT Thread Part IV: Hey Marine! Edition

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2012, 10:09 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
My advice for people who "dislike" beer is to keep trying it. There are thousands of varieties of beer out there today. You might try a Guinness at your friends house and determine you hate 'dark beer', but that's just one variety of it. You can literally try a dozen different stouts, and they'll all give you a different experience. From the pour, to the smell, to the taste and the finish.

That being said, I'm trying to get into wine drinking, but I'm not having much luck with it so far. Trying to take my own advice though.
I'm in the same situation. Back when I started drinking I couldn't differentiate between beers, they all tasted the same to me. Now I can differentiate beers easily, I'm no snob (I don't think) I still drink Bud Light etc... and my favorite beers aren't necessarily top notch beers, you just need to find what you like.

For me... Dark Beer: Sam Adams Winter Lager
(regular?) Beer: Stella Artois
Light Beer: Have a soft-spot for Bud Light (unfortunately )

Other beers I enjoy: Modelo Especial and Negro Modelo. Blue Moon. The Blue Moon Honeywheat summer beer is one of my all-time favorites.

But with red wines right now (I don't really drink white wine) I can't taste the differences at all.

EDIT - And unless you're one of those drunks people who is paranoid and afraid you're dying every time you're booting from a tough night, I find throwing up red wine to be a phenomenal experience. Like a scene out of House MD or some crazy horror movie

Old
09-28-2012, 10:39 AM
boyle2boyle

It would be hard to pick a favorite beer, but my favorite breweries are Victory and Allagash.

The Allagash Curieux is the best tripel i've had, it's aged in whiskey barrels and the taste really comes through. Victory also makes a pretty badass tripel called the Golden Monkey which will always be my go-to sixer. Victory Storm King is an imperial stout which is a must-try for anyone who likes dark beers and stouts in general.

My go-to in the fall so far, the Smuttynose Pumpkin might be my favorite pumpkin beer. The pumpkin taste is more subtle and bitter so you don't get the overwhelming sweetness like you would with with a UFO Pumpkin or something similar.

Old
09-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Metallica covering Deep Purple's When a Blind Man Cries is so freaking good. Can't get that song out of my head

Old
09-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
October 14th. That's a few Sudays away
What? ****ing TV guide lied to my ass. They said this Sunday...sonofa!

Old
09-28-2012, 11:23 AM
blue425

Quote:
My advice for people who "dislike" beer is to keep trying it. There are thousands of varieties of beer out there today. You might try a Guinness at your friends house and determine you hate 'dark beer', but that's just one variety of it. You can literally try a dozen different stouts, and they'll all give you a different experience. From the pour, to the smell, to the taste and the finish.

That being said, I'm trying to get into wine drinking, but I'm not having much luck with it so far. Trying to take my own advice though.
Wife and I drink our fair share. When we started we picked our bottles based on two criteria:

1- Cool label

2- Under $20

We still use the same criteria to this day. Occasionally you get a bottle of swill, but overall it has worked well for us. Also I would invest in an inexpensive decanter, and a set of stemless (also cheap) wine glasses.

Going to pick up Jet Set Radio on XBLA as I played the original in Japanese and would like to play it in English.

I WISH Sega would re-release the Dreamcast with 100 games loaded on it. I would by three of them.

That system had the highest ratio of amazing games to games released ever. If you by a lot of 30 DC games 25 of them are probably worth playing.

I'm quite happy I am just old enough to have lived through gaming's entire life span.

Last edited by blue425: 09-28-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old
09-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I'm in the same situation. Back when I started drinking I couldn't differentiate between beers, they all tasted the same to me. Now I can differentiate beers easily, I'm no snob (I don't think) I still drink Bud Light etc... and my favorite beers aren't necessarily top notch beers, you just need to find what you like.

For me... Dark Beer: Sam Adams Winter Lager
(regular?) Beer: Stella Artois
Light Beer: Have a soft-spot for Bud Light (unfortunately )

Other beers I enjoy: Modelo Especial and Negro Modelo. Blue Moon. The Blue Moon Honeywheat summer beer is one of my all-time favorites.

But with red wines right now (I don't really drink white wine) I can't taste the differences at all.

EDIT - And unless you're one of those drunks people who is paranoid and afraid you're dying every time you're booting from a tough night, I find throwing up red wine to be a phenomenal experience. Like a scene out of House MD or some crazy horror movie
I agree that just because craft beers exist, it doesn't mean you're obligated to like them any more or less than typical domestics. Personally, I spent most of my college years pounding back Natty Light and Labatt Blue. To this day, they're really the only 'mainstream' domestics that I like aside from Yuengling. Bud Light actually gives me a headache after one beer, but I can do with Miller Lite if I must. I can also enjoy a Corona or Dos Equis here and there.

I have a tough time saying a beer is my favorite, but heading into the winter I tend to have some Dragons Milk by New Holland, Oak Barrel Stout from Dominion, or Founders Breakfast Stout in my fridge. Definitely riding the pumpkin kick right now though. Gotta love fall.

Last edited by Trxjw: 09-28-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old
09-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allerotrot View Post
It would be hard to pick a favorite beer, but my favorite breweries are Victory and Allagash.

The Allagash Curieux is the best tripel i've had, it's aged in whiskey barrels and the taste really comes through. Victory also makes a pretty badass tripel called the Golden Monkey which will always be my go-to sixer. Victory Storm King is an imperial stout which is a must-try for anyone who likes dark beers and stouts in general.

My go-to in the fall so far, the Smuttynose Pumpkin might be my favorite pumpkin beer. The pumpkin taste is more subtle and bitter so you don't get the overwhelming sweetness like you would with with a UFO Pumpkin or something similar.
Storm King is a delicious beer. I was a little intimidated by how hoppy it smelled at first whiff, but the balance is spot on.

I haven't had the Smuttynose Pumpkin yet, but I do like their Brown Dog quite a bit, so I'll have to check it out. Though I tend to like the pumpkin beers that are a little heavier on the spices for some reason. Southampton Pumpkin Ale, Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin, and Michigan Brewing Screaming Pumpkin are three of my favorites. Also like the Ichabod by New Holland and the Pumking by Southern Tier.

Old
09-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
What will you be doing with tomorrow then?
Well sofar I've woken up at 1230 and was planning on playing twilight golf. But since its raining I'm going to go buy floor tile for my kitchen and get started in there so I can hopefully be done with this construction sometime this lifetime.

Old
09-28-2012, 12:40 PM
boyle2boyle

Quote:
Storm King is a delicious beer. I was a little intimidated by how hoppy it smelled at first whiff, but the balance is spot on.

I haven't had the Smuttynose Pumpkin yet, but I do like their Brown Dog quite a bit, so I'll have to check it out. Though I tend to like the pumpkin beers that are a little heavier on the spices for some reason. Southampton Pumpkin Ale, Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin, and Michigan Brewing Screaming Pumpkin are three of my favorites. Also like the Ichabod by New Holland and the Pumking by Southern Tier.
Definitely going to have to try some of these pumpkins, thanks dude

Old
09-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allerotrot View Post
Definitely going to have to try some of these pumpkins, thanks dude
No problem. Hope you enjoy them.

Old
09-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

Not sure if this was mentioned or not, I haven't had time to go through all of the posts because work has been annoying, but has anyone tried Honey Brown? I usually get people who aren't normally beer drinkers to try it at least once, it's a pretty great brew.

Old
09-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Guys, I went full retard...

I just put baking powder in my shoes instead of baking soda

Old
09-28-2012, 06:30 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

I ordered online at papa john's 1.5 hours ago, with 30-40 minutes expected delivery time

Nothing came, and I called to check. They forgot...

Old
09-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

Quote:
I ordered online at papa john's 1.5 hours ago, with 30-40 minutes expected delivery time

Nothing came, and I called to check. They forgot...
Uhp, it's free now.

Old
09-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Speaking of Papa John's... I have like, 100 PJ points online, haha.

'sup 4 free pies? ...and obesity.

Old
09-28-2012, 06:58 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I never used to like beer but suddenly this year i've grown a taste for it. I like Becks and Sapporo, so that should let you know i'm not REALLY a beer drinker, but I used to despise beer.

Old
09-28-2012, 07:01 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I never used to like beer but suddenly this year i've grown a taste for it. I like Becks and Sapporo, so that should let you know i'm not REALLY a beer drinker, but I used to despise beer.
Heinys all day every day, pls.

Came across this the other day and thought it was pretty fun and relevant.

Quote:
Are you a Liberal? Do you like Heineken? Congratulations, so do a bunch of other self-identified left-wingers. In a recent survey of 200,000 Americans, designed to examine the relationship between political affiliation and beer preference, researchers found that drinkers of the Dutch import are "strongly Democratic," while Republicans tended to prefer Sam Adams (they're also more likely to vote). The most bipartisan brew? Dos Equis.

http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal...itics-of-3.php

Old
09-28-2012, 09:42 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

So did anyone have Fox News up and running around 3:30pm today?

I didn't, but sought the video out on the internet, kind of regret watching it though.

For those who don't know, Fox News accidentally aired the end of a car chase in AZ live today, and it ended with the hijacker taking his own life. The producer didn't cut away in time and it aired on national television

The video isn't graphic or anything...it's just, disturbing.

Old
09-28-2012, 09:54 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
So did anyone have Fox News up and running around 3:30pm today?

I didn't, but sought the video out on the internet, kind of regret watching it though.

For those who don't know, Fox News accidentally aired the end of a car chase in AZ live today, and it ended with the hijacker taking his own life. The producer didn't cut away in time and it aired on national television

The video isn't graphic or anything...it's just, disturbing.
Wow...

For some reason that was a lot harder to take then when a guy died litterally in front of me... (Old guy, collapsed. Not an interesting story)

Old
09-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

Yeah that video was ridiculous.

Old
09-29-2012, 05:57 AM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Had to get up at 5 for a community service trip...

Old
09-29-2012, 06:36 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Had to get up at 5 for a community service trip...
Had to be up at 5:30.. work at a golf course. I feel your pain because I do it every day (not much longer though).

On a side note I need some advice from my trusty HF brethren.

Just graduated from college and have worked my ass off to both get through school and make some money. Ive saved up a solid chunk of change and its time for a new vehicle for me.

I am not looking into any used cars just new ones.

Ive been looking at a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo which is going to run me between 28-32k.

However for that amount of money I could get a brand new Lexus sedan (32.5k)

Any one have advice on a new vehicle for me and best bang for my buck? My price range is between 25-32k.

Keep in mind I am only 24 and really only want NEW not USED. Also gas milage is a factor. Minimum of 17mpg city.

09-29-2012, 08:40 AM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

does anybody know what the optimum height for a mounted tv (38) should be?
I mounted it at eye level when standing up, only to realize thats like looking up at the ceiling when sitting down..

Old
09-29-2012, 12:01 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
does anybody know what the optimum height for a mounted tv (38) should be?
I mounted it at eye level when standing up, only to realize thats like looking up at the ceiling when sitting down..
I don't know anything about all that, but my advice to you would be to bring it down some.

Old
09-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

And the thread comes to a halt at page 18. Dum Dum Dum.

Closed Thread