HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT Thread Part IV: Hey Marine! Edition

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2012, 04:32 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL

New exhaust set-up on my car.

Thoughts?

Old
09-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Gardner McKay
The NYR get...

vCash: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post

New exhaust set-up on my car.

Thoughts?
Big fan. I like it a lot tbh.

Some people hate modded exhaust, I love it. I put a flow master on my expedition about 6 years ago (the one I am getting rid of tomorrow).

09-29-2012, 05:19 PM
Gardner McKay
The NYR get...

Any one know much about the BMW X1?? Reasonably priced, great MPG, standard leather, sunroof, etc... $5500 worth of options are standard on this car VS the explorer, Acadia, and Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I priced.

X1 is $32,500 MSRP compared to 38,000 for the Explorer, 36750 for the Acadia and 35,000 for the Jeep.

If any car junkies could help me I would be so GREATLY appreciative.

Old
09-29-2012, 05:19 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
Big fan. I like it a lot tbh.

Some people hate modded exhaust, I love it. I put a flow master on my expedition about 6 years ago (the one I am getting rid of tomorrow).
This is more than just exhaust (which is one of the reasons it's loud as ****). It's full exhaust from the headers back along with heads and cam. The cam is really why the car is loud and choppy, though. It's a very large cam.

And thanks, man. I've gotten good feedback so far.

Old
09-29-2012, 05:42 PM
blue425

In the wake of our Alien/Predator themed discussion last week I finally had a chance to see "Predators".

It felt very similar to the original except with a new cast, lots of nods to the first film. Even some of the events felt reused. In spite of all that I actually liked it a lot.

It was basically a better version of AVP 2 (Not canon, but lots of good action).

Old
09-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
I thought Predators was a surprisingly solid film. Though it does make me laugh that:

Spoilers: ****ing Eric Foreman was the master serial killer at the end.

09-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Lerb

Quote:
Any one know much about the BMW X1?? Reasonably priced, great MPG, standard leather, sunroof, etc... $5500 worth of options are standard on this car VS the explorer, Acadia, and Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I priced.

X1 is $32,500 MSRP compared to 38,000 for the Explorer, 36750 for the Acadia and 35,000 for the Jeep.

If any car junkies could help me I would be so GREATLY appreciative.
$5,500 worth of BMW options or $5,500 worth of options on the other cars? The one thing that gets people is the added options on luxury cars that add up the grand total. I've been car shopping lately and the Mercedes Benz C350 is the same. Low MSRP, around $37K but some of the added options can make it more expensive. With BMW though, you might be trading away a few common and well liked features cheaper car brands have.

I built one for fun and

0.0) You have to pick a style I think. X-line, Sports line, M line. Which costs $1,900 and the M line cost $3000
0) The cheapest one is 2.0 Liters, great but not nearly as powerful as X3 or X5 and while it's BMW engineering, it's not extremely powerful.
1) The exterior paint, $550 for metallic paint (Optional), you have black and white if you don't go with the upgrade
2) It's leatherette and not leather and the leather package (much better looking and more stylish and fancy) is an additional $1450.
3) Trim upgrade cost $550, of course, there's the standard.
4) Get ready for the packages! $700 for heated front seats and steering wheel and retractable headlight washers, $950 for park assist and rear-view parking camera $1,200 for upgraded lighting. Nav, SOS etc. costs $2,500. The Karmon Hardon 340 watts 11 speaker costs $875. I would definitely get it. It's one of the things that all luxury cars should have so that's another $875

I went with

X-Line (Mandatory I THINK) $1900
Exterior paint, Didn't want the normal black or white. $550
leather (totally forgo-able) $1450
Heated seats, steering wheel etc. $700
Nav and other tech things $2500
Harmon Kardon Surround Sound $875
Destination and Handling $875 (mandatory)

$41,220 + tax = $46,000 or so ( I dunno taxes in NY) That plus insurance.

I say all this because every time someone says "I can afford a BMW or MB, it ends up being "unaffordable" and I've shopped around quite a bit and MSRP can be deceiving with luxury car brands. Because the MSRP is significantly lower, it's totally doable still I would think.

The one thing that I often complain about is the culture around the sale of common car brands from Ford to Toyota and every other non-luxury car brands. They cost a lot still for the good models of that brand and it's essentially buying the best of a lesser car brand vs. buying near the floor model of a superior car brand. Which one is better? With BMW, Mercedes Benz because they're the perfect balance between luxury and affordability, their cars have been made to be a lot more balanced over the years. With Porsche for example, the cars are engineered beautifully but a lot of the intuitive features that you'd want your 2010+ car to have is deemed unnecessary even if it is a sports car. Anyway, with what I was saying, BMW and MB have definitely made their floor models significantly better than the "roof model" of non-luxury car brands.

Floor of BMW/MB - Superior engineering, style, value and decent on features.
Roof of non-luxury - Average engineering, loaded with all your essential features, a lot of added features and they'll list out every single technology, ABS, air bags and every other feature they can think of including stuff like uhhh... forgot what it's called but it's the technology that makes SUVs more stable. BMW and MB and Porsche have those things done even better but they don't advertise that because it's not necessary for them, that's not where they sale points are at. Non-luxury car brands though can "trick" people by offering an average car that's loaded with a bunch of stuff that makes it seem "more reliable" and more "family friendly" and "greater resale value"

If it's still doable, then definitely go for it although, I would highly, highly recommend getting a used one because there are a lot of people who can't afford them that gets them anyway and end up selling it a year or two later. You'll easily save $12K from buying an used (1-1.5 years) not to mention insurance savings and reporting the sale as cheaper than it actually was to lower tax.

It drives very very smoothly. That's the one thing I love about Luxury SUVs. It feels like you're driving a tank and with anti-sound technology and a few other things, it's a very nice car to drive. If you're torn in the end because of the dollar figures, keep in mind that the engineering is superior. Probably more costly to fix but it's still worth it.

Frankly, nowadays with luxury car brands starting to try and get a bigger piece of the market, everyone is coming out with the affordable car. MB is doing it, Porsche is doing it, BMW is certainly doing it with the 1 series and the X1 which are cheaper in some ways than roof models of non-luxury car brands.

Besides, it's a luxury car.

Last edited by Lerb: 09-29-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old
09-29-2012, 07:20 PM
adam94
BU Terriers

Instead of going to the Foo Fighters, Black Keys, and Neil Young concert in Central Park, I'm spending my Saturday night watching the live stream on YouTube. Next best thing I suppose...?

Old
09-29-2012, 07:42 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

I would much, much rather have a Range Rover Evoque over a X1

Old
09-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Tawnos, I am hooked on the song Jerusalem from Chemical Wedding.

The chorus is heavenly.

Old
09-30-2012, 07:30 AM
Gardner McKay
The NYR get...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I would much, much rather have a Range Rover Evoque over a X1
Didn't even consider that. Didn't realize the X1 was a hatchback either. Im just having such a hard time. I mean I priced out a new explorer yesterday with few options outside of my leather seats, still around 35k.

GMC Acadia was 41k. I mean... wtf.

Im seriously considering a Jeep Patriot at these prices. Fully stocked for 26.5k. Probably negotiate it down to 22k.

Old
09-30-2012, 09:58 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Old
09-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Gardner McKay
The NYR get...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
$5,500 worth of BMW options or $5,500 worth of options on the other cars? The one thing that gets people is the added options on luxury cars that add up the grand total. I've been car shopping lately and the Mercedes Benz C350 is the same. Low MSRP, around $37K but some of the added options can make it more expensive. With BMW though, you might be trading away a few common and well liked features cheaper car brands have.

I built one for fun and

0.0) You have to pick a style I think. X-line, Sports line, M line. Which costs $1,900 and the M line cost $3000
0) The cheapest one is 2.0 Liters, great but not nearly as powerful as X3 or X5 and while it's BMW engineering, it's not extremely powerful.
1) The exterior paint, $550 for metallic paint (Optional), you have black and white if you don't go with the upgrade
2) It's leatherette and not leather and the leather package (much better looking and more stylish and fancy) is an additional $1450.
3) Trim upgrade cost $550, of course, there's the standard.
4) Get ready for the packages! $700 for heated front seats and steering wheel and retractable headlight washers, $950 for park assist and rear-view parking camera $1,200 for upgraded lighting. Nav, SOS etc. costs $2,500. The Karmon Hardon 340 watts 11 speaker costs $875. I would definitely get it. It's one of the things that all luxury cars should have so that's another $875

I went with

X-Line (Mandatory I THINK) $1900
Exterior paint, Didn't want the normal black or white. $550
leather (totally forgo-able) $1450
Heated seats, steering wheel etc. $700
Nav and other tech things $2500
Harmon Kardon Surround Sound $875
Destination and Handling $875 (mandatory)

$41,220 + tax = $46,000 or so ( I dunno taxes in NY) That plus insurance.

I say all this because every time someone says "I can afford a BMW or MB, it ends up being "unaffordable" and I've shopped around quite a bit and MSRP can be deceiving with luxury car brands. Because the MSRP is significantly lower, it's totally doable still I would think.

The one thing that I often complain about is the culture around the sale of common car brands from Ford to Toyota and every other non-luxury car brands. They cost a lot still for the good models of that brand and it's essentially buying the best of a lesser car brand vs. buying near the floor model of a superior car brand. Which one is better? With BMW, Mercedes Benz because they're the perfect balance between luxury and affordability, their cars have been made to be a lot more balanced over the years. With Porsche for example, the cars are engineered beautifully but a lot of the intuitive features that you'd want your 2010+ car to have is deemed unnecessary even if it is a sports car. Anyway, with what I was saying, BMW and MB have definitely made their floor models significantly better than the "roof model" of non-luxury car brands.

Floor of BMW/MB - Superior engineering, style, value and decent on features.
Roof of non-luxury - Average engineering, loaded with all your essential features, a lot of added features and they'll list out every single technology, ABS, air bags and every other feature they can think of including stuff like uhhh... forgot what it's called but it's the technology that makes SUVs more stable. BMW and MB and Porsche have those things done even better but they don't advertise that because it's not necessary for them, that's not where they sale points are at. Non-luxury car brands though can "trick" people by offering an average car that's loaded with a bunch of stuff that makes it seem "more reliable" and more "family friendly" and "greater resale value"

If it's still doable, then definitely go for it although, I would highly, highly recommend getting a used one because there are a lot of people who can't afford them that gets them anyway and end up selling it a year or two later. You'll easily save $12K from buying an used (1-1.5 years) not to mention insurance savings and reporting the sale as cheaper than it actually was to lower tax.

It drives very very smoothly. That's the one thing I love about Luxury SUVs. It feels like you're driving a tank and with anti-sound technology and a few other things, it's a very nice car to drive. If you're torn in the end because of the dollar figures, keep in mind that the engineering is superior. Probably more costly to fix but it's still worth it.

Frankly, nowadays with luxury car brands starting to try and get a bigger piece of the market, everyone is coming out with the affordable car. MB is doing it, Porsche is doing it, BMW is certainly doing it with the 1 series and the X1 which are cheaper in some ways than roof models of non-luxury car brands.

Besides, it's a luxury car.
Thats where I am having a hard time. Off to Atlanta luxury motors today along with Jeep, Dodge and Chevy.

Old
09-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Killem Dafoe
give me the formuoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
lol I love how the other guy was like "oh ****..yayyy"

Old
09-30-2012, 04:55 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Delete.

Old
09-30-2012, 04:56 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
May your eyes never witness a funnier video than this.

Old
09-30-2012, 09:20 PM
Lerb

Okay, I forgot who I followed on twitter, which one of you is Patrick?

I have resolved this mystery on my own thanks to my detective skills.

Last edited by Lerb: 09-30-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old
09-30-2012, 09:23 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Quote:
Okay, I forgot who I followed on twitter, which one of you is Patrick?
follow meeeee

Old
09-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Killem Dafoe
give me the formuoli

What's a twitter?

Old
09-30-2012, 10:19 PM
Lerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
follow meeeee
What is it?! I did not know that you offered up your @

Old
09-30-2012, 10:41 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Didn't even consider that. Didn't realize the X1 was a hatchback either. Im just having such a hard time. I mean I priced out a new explorer yesterday with few options outside of my leather seats, still around 35k.

GMC Acadia was 41k. I mean... wtf.

Im seriously considering a Jeep Patriot at these prices. Fully stocked for 26.5k. Probably negotiate it down to 22k.
The Patriot is a pile of ****. You couldn't pay me to own one.

Just go with a base Evoque or spluge a little bit and option it out. It is a fantastic SUV.

Old
09-30-2012, 10:57 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Quote:
What is it?! I did not know that you offered up your @
@JohnnyRangers

Old
09-30-2012, 11:02 PM
BlessThisMess513

I figured this was too off topic for the NFL thread, but why is Michael Vick still allowed to play football? i'm not a Giants fan, so I'm not at all mad about their loss, but I can't see how people can defend a guy who can do what he did to that many dogs. If I was a team mate I'd be disgusted.

Old
09-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Lerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
@JohnnyRangers
Yeeeeeeep.

Old
09-30-2012, 11:07 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH