HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

F Taylor Cammarata - U of Minnesota, NCAA (2013 , 76th overall, Islanders)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-22-2012, 08:59 PM
  #1
keppel146
We love Bacon
 
keppel146's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MinneSOta
Country: United States
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
F Taylor Cammarata - U of Minnesota, NCAA (2013 , 76th overall, Islanders)

he did very well at shattuck, actually very very well. In his rookie season scored 69 points in 60 games in the USHL. NHL article preseason slated him as a "C" skater.

Stats: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=118430

Since he is a smaller player like Grimaldi, where do people see him being drafted and what do people think of him?

keppel146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 09:27 AM
  #2
DraftNerd
Registered User
 
DraftNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Omaha, NE
Country: United States
Posts: 98
vCash: 500
In my opinion he has talent to be a top 5/10 pick. Skill is there but so small. Added 10 lbs but still small.
I could see bottom 1st top 2nd.

DraftNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 10:06 AM
  #3
as15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 93
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftNerd View Post
In my opinion he has talent to be a top 5/10 pick. Skill is there but so small. Added 10 lbs but still small.
I could see bottom 1st top 2nd.
So basically the same as Grimaldi.

as15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 10:37 AM
  #4
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 3,563
vCash: 500
Grimaldi brings an intensity and grittiness that I haven't seen from Cammarata yet so that may be what sets the two apart from an NHL perspective. Cammarata could have a Jaden Schwartz type of year in the USHL but he's still at least 3 inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter than Schwartz was during his draft year (I think his listed height and weight may be exaggerated). Right now I'd figure someone could take a chance on him in the second round but it seems more likely he'll go a bit later; maybe in the fourth like Johnny Gaudreau.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 11:58 AM
  #5
keppel146
We love Bacon
 
keppel146's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MinneSOta
Country: United States
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
its kind of unfortunate that so much of the game, especially in the NHL is based purely on the size of the person. i like to see the skill side of players and i think if this guy had an average frame he would be a top 15 or maybe top 10 pick easy. i strongly disagree that he is considered a "C" skater though.

keppel146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 05:28 PM
  #6
amjay13
Registered User
 
amjay13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,442
vCash: 500
6 points today, 17 in 9 games thus far.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 05:42 PM
  #7
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Victorious Secret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 10,757
vCash: 16145
So, he is capable of a Nyquist Explosion. Must be good.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 05:48 PM
  #8
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic
 
Jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,079
vCash: 500
That's a double Nyquist explosion, actually.

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 05:50 PM
  #9
herbst20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 445
vCash: 500
Taylor's skills are unmatched in the USHL IMO, but the size issue is too much to overlook. Great USHL player but I dont think he will have nearly the same success at UM.

herbst20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 05:51 PM
  #10
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,222
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Had a chat with him just recently about his expectations for the draft and where he expects to go. He gave the right answer:

Quote:
Itís been my dream my whole life to get drafted but whatever happens hockey will still be there the next day. There are first round picks playing in the NHL, there are 7th round picks playing in the NHL and there are undrafted players in the NHL. Iím just going to focus on having a great year and hopefully getting back to the finals again, and just let everything else fall in place.
http://futureconsiderations.ca/small...ts-big-resume/

He played at Shattuck with Nathan MacKinnon too. The two still stay in touch.

__________________
Get your copy of FC's 2014 NHL DRAFT GUIDE now!
Don't forget to pick up FC's 2014 Newsletter series too!
Aaron Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 05:54 PM
  #11
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Victorious Secret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 10,757
vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
That's a double Nyquist explosion, actually.
I stand corrected. Hes double Nyquist.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 07:20 PM
  #12
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic
 
Jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbst20 View Post
Great USHL player but I dont think he will have nearly the same success at UM.
I think he'll be a really good college player, pro could be a different story however.

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 07:41 PM
  #13
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,121
vCash: 500
Keep in mind he has time to grow.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 09:22 AM
  #14
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbst20 View Post
Taylor's skills are unmatched in the USHL IMO, but the size issue is too much to overlook. Great USHL player but I dont think he will have nearly the same success at UM.
I usually think you are pretty spot on with your opinions in a non-bias way in terms of the USHL(which is especially rare among posters here), but to me, Cam is gonna be great in college. Realistically, the college game is a lot slower and controlled than the USHL, which plays in his favor. The pros on the other hand, are an entirely different animal.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 09:46 AM
  #15
herbst20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
I usually think you are pretty spot on with your opinions in a non-bias way in terms of the USHL(which is especially rare among posters here), but to me, Cam is gonna be great in college. Realistically, the college game is a lot slower and controlled than the USHL, which plays in his favor. The pros on the other hand, are an entirely different animal.
We shall see and each has their own opinions. I have seen Taylor play over a dozen times in the USHL whether it be Preseason or Regular season. I dont see the willingness to go to the corners to battle for pucks or get to the dirty areas for pucks. The times I saw Grimaldi or Johnny Gaudreau (two guys of similar size), I saw them grind for pucks, go to the corners, and not back down from Defenseman. I just dont see this level of compete from Cammarata...yet. Thus my judgement

There is no doubt in open ice and when he can have teammates find him in the slot he is extremely talented and effective for Waterloo, but I think alot of this will be taken away from him in the WCHA/Big Ten.

Also yes I pride myself in not making bias posts and evaluating talent the way I see it!

herbst20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 09:56 AM
  #16
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbst20 View Post
We shall see and each has their own opinions. I have seen Taylor play over a dozen times in the USHL whether it be Preseason or Regular season. I dont see the willingness to go to the corners to battle for pucks or get to the dirty areas for pucks. The times I saw Grimaldi or Johnny Gaudreau (two guys of similar size), I saw them grind for pucks, go to the corners, and not back down from Defenseman. I just dont see this level of compete from Cammarata...yet. Thus my judgement

There is no doubt in open ice and when he can have teammates find him in the slot he is extremely talented and effective for Waterloo, but I think alot of this will be taken away from him in the WCHA/Big Ten.

Also yes I pride myself in not making bias posts and evaluating talent the way I see it!
I know you've seen him a bunch and being a former scout of the USHL, I've seen him quite a bit as well .

He doesn't have to go into corners for pucks because largely, that's not a team Waterloo is. None of their forwards work the boards or run a dump cycle.

Every instance I've seen from him, he doesn't "back down" from defenseman because the defensemen are never really on him. He's that elusive. Granted, I've only seen him play against five or six teams, but each had the same issue with him.

In college, you can't play the dirtier style you can in the USHL. The game is far more controlled. That's largely what Cam does, is control the game.

Grimaldi and Gaudreau brought different types of skill sets than Cam does. I think the other two will translate better perhaps in the pros than Cam will, though I certainly think Cam has the potential to be in their league, if not better if he can add their skills to his resume.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 10:21 AM
  #17
herbst20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 445
vCash: 500
Fair enough and as always I respect your opinions. I will keep a watchful eye on what you pointed out. I know I will see him at least 4 times this year and possibly 4 more if I desire to venture the 50 minutes north to Young Arena!

I hope he succeeds as he is a very polite and well mannered kid. Having him and Kloos on the same line is scary. Bar none Waterloo has the most skilled set of forwards I have seen in a long long time in the USHL.

herbst20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 11:04 AM
  #18
MN_Gopher
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mpls
Posts: 3,289
vCash: 2900
There is alot going against Cammarata.

He is a top 6 or bust player. Taking away the center position that leaves four wing spots on any team for him. He is not going to be a bottom 6 player not his style.

The USHL is not a weak league. But it is 2 levels away from the NHL. With the NCAA/ Junior, AHL in some cases and then NHL. Everyone just wants too see what he can do when the competition goes up.

There is no mystery in his game. Either you think he can at the next level or you doubt how his abilities will translate. He should lead the league in scoring not sure what the record for USHL is but he could be close to 2 points per which is huge. Still the USHL.

He is not amazing at one aspect. Not super fast, no rocket shot, etc... he gets results, but being smart and in the right place at the right time can only get you so far, right? He is super shifty but big hulking d men have a way of learning how to skate from 17 to 23.

His game is going under a super microscope. It will all focus on what he can't do well. leaving people with doubts. We all know he score in bunches.

1st round talent, goes late 2nd IMO.

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:38 PM
  #19
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
There is alot going against Cammarata.

He is a top 6 or bust player. Taking away the center position that leaves four wing spots on any team for him. He is not going to be a bottom 6 player not his style.

The USHL is not a weak league. But it is 2 levels away from the NHL. With the NCAA/ Junior, AHL in some cases and then NHL. Everyone just wants too see what he can do when the competition goes up.

There is no mystery in his game. Either you think he can at the next level or you doubt how his abilities will translate. He should lead the league in scoring not sure what the record for USHL is but he could be close to 2 points per which is huge. Still the USHL.

He is not amazing at one aspect. Not super fast, no rocket shot, etc... he gets results, but being smart and in the right place at the right time can only get you so far, right? He is super shifty but big hulking d men have a way of learning how to skate from 17 to 23.

His game is going under a super microscope. It will all focus on what he can't do well. leaving people with doubts. We all know he score in bunches.

1st round talent, goes late 2nd IMO.
He's dominating JR.A, so it's hard to tell where his games at...

IMO he's a project, he needs to get alot stronger, because of his size.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:58 PM
  #20
UvBnDatsyuked
Registered User
 
UvBnDatsyuked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
He is not amazing at one aspect. Not super fast, no rocket shot, etc... he gets results, but being smart and in the right place at the right time can only get you so far, right?
I, for one, feel "gets results" "being smart" "right place at the right" all amount for ton.

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 01:54 PM
  #21
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UvBnDatsyuked View Post
I, for one, feel "gets results" "being smart" "right place at the right" all amount for ton.
I'd it's probably the most important, at least assuming you have a base level of skill and don't skate and stick handle like me.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 02:54 PM
  #22
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,528
vCash: 500
kid is a beast who is tearing up the USHL right now.

I am rooting bigtime for this young man as he has the skill to be a top 10 pick hands down....I am very excited to see where he gets drafted in June if he keeps this up

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 04:42 PM
  #23
Breakfast of Champs
Registered User
 
Breakfast of Champs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
Having never seen Cammarata play, I have to wonder when he will hit the wall offensively, or if he ever will. He ripped up at Shattuck, outscoring MacKinnon both years they played together. He was drafted 1st overall in the USHL, was rookie of the year, and is now leading the USHL in scoring

For those who have seen him play, does he remind you of a player who is dominant offensively in Jr. and won't translate? Or is he another guy being written off only due to his size like St. Louis or Desharnais?

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 08:21 AM
  #24
UvBnDatsyuked
Registered User
 
UvBnDatsyuked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
Having never seen Cammarata play, I have to wonder when he will hit the wall offensively, or if he ever will. He ripped up at Shattuck, outscoring MacKinnon both years they played together. He was drafted 1st overall in the USHL, was rookie of the year, and is now leading the USHL in scoring

For those who have seen him play, does he remind you of a player who is dominant offensively in Jr. and won't translate? Or is he another guy being written off only due to his size like St. Louis or Desharnais?
He utilizes his teammates well and will produce even better with better players along the way.
His vision and the way he thinks the game will serve him well. No one knows if NHL is in his future but he has the mental ability that many teams covet.

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 09:33 AM
  #25
keppel146
We love Bacon
 
keppel146's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MinneSOta
Country: United States
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
2 G and 4 A night. he is now tied for 1st in scoring in the USHL with 17 pts in 9 games played

keppel146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.