HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT : UFC - Dana White rips Steve Simmons appart

Old
09-23-2012, 03:05 PM
-DeMo-

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
it was shogun vera and machida bader. Thats amazing. It should do just as good
Vera is a guy who wasn't even on the UFC roster Rua was expected to just blow him away, Machida Bader was a good fight but your kidding yourself if you think anything that doesn't have a title attached to it will draw as much as the HW title which is the most popular division in MMA and Boxing.

Edit: and when Dana read out the top 5 draws in the UFC I don't think ethier of Machida or Shogun was on that list(tho I could be wrong dont remember all 5) whereas a guy like Rashad Evans is. this is a US based company and ratings are for US viewership, sure alot of people like Rua and Machida but there not gonna do the numbers a top USA fighter would.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 03:06 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
The reason why he hates on Simmons has nothing to do with this article or the UFC. Take it with a grain of salt. He hasn't even looked at the ratings etc.

Nope sorry, I've been an avid MMA fan for more then two decades (UFC, Pride, etc) and the reason I take issue with hack journalism (Simmons in this particular instance) is because he does'nt have a clue of what he's talking about. Very similar to the frail attempt at it in your post above.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
Nope sorry, I've been an avid MMA fan for more then two decades (UFC, Pride, etc) and the reason I take issue with hack journalism (Simmons in this particular instance) is because he does'nt have a clue of what he's talking about. Very similar to the frail attempt at it in your post above.
The ratings are what they are. Why you claim that info isn't available? It is there for anybody with a web browser lol. They show no growth and decline recently. Why argue against facts? I just don't get it.

Lets make it simple. What did Simmons say that was inaccurate?

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 03:19 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
The ratings are what they are. Why you claim that info isn't available? It is there for anybody with a web browser lol. They show no growth and decline recently. Why argue against facts? I just don't get it.

The sooner you (and Simmons) understand that a heavyweight title fight (consisting of the top two ranked fighters) easily attracts more viewers then fighters who always drew substantially less viewers throughout their careers the better.

Old
09-23-2012, 03:19 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:

because you can't just look at ratings alone in the fight business to decide wheather something is in decline, because the elite fighters draw more then the 2nd teir and so on.

your also looking at 4 cards, whereas the UFC have put on 4 FX cards aswell as 4 Fuel cards all of which were free what were there ratings opposed to the old Spike ratings aswell as versus? it also only takes into consideration of the US audience, and doesn't look at the Canadian or England or Brazil's viewership which are probably the 3 biggest markets outside of the states.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Areathrasher

Simmonds is a boxing die-hard and really doesn't want to give the UFC credit for anything.

He had some legit points - Lesnar leaving

And some completley wrong - PPV #'s are never announced by the UFC, they leak out from Cable companies. Ortiz, Liddel and Couture retiring has not hurt the UFC.

Nothing really to see here. Simmonds will continue to write ***** and Dana White will continue to be Dana ****ing White.

I was there last night and it was a great card and event.

Areathrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 03:55 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
The sooner you (and Simmons) understand that a heavyweight title fight (consisting of the top two ranked fighters) easily attracts more viewers then fighters who always drew substantially less viewers throughout their careers the better.
So are you saying that the fighters are the attraction? Was this not part of Simmons argument?

The drop in numbers are substantial....and some of it can be attributed to weak cards....but a drop of 3.3 million viewers is substantial and can not be attributed to only a weak card.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Swervin81
Du-du-du-du-du-duel

FACT: They both suck.

Anything else is up for debate.

Swervin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 04:14 PM
leafsfuture

Simmons is an idiot we all know that, I just found it interesting that Dana continues to say that GSP was always a greater draw than Lesnar.

UFC 100 featured both Lesnar and GSP, so even though Lesnar was the main event, ill ignore this card.

Lesnar's top drawing fights: UFC 91 vs Couture, UFC 116 vs Carwin, UFC 121 vs Velasquez have all been predicted to top 1 million buys.
GSP top drawing fights: UFC 94 vs Penn, UFC 111 vs Hardy, UFC 124 vs Kosheck, UFC 129 vs Shields. Based on predictions, only the Penn fight comes anywhere near 1 million.

Now part of the reason is that more fans generally wanted to see / believe that Lesnar would lose, wheareas since demolishing BJ Penn, GSP was seen as a huge favourite to just run over lesser fighters. I would not be surprised at all for his next fight to hit Lesnar like ratings -- obviously finally back from injury that can ruin careers

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 04:17 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
So are you saying that the fighters are the attraction? Was this not part of Simmons argument?

The drop in numbers are substantial....and some of it can be attributed to weak cards....but a drop of 3.3 million viewers is substantial and can not be attributed to only a weak card.
Incorrect, all of it is attributed to weaker cards.

It does'nt take a genius to figure out two fighters (neither of them heavyweights or a champion or the highest ranked fighter in their weight division) will not draw anywhere near the number of viewers that a championship mega fight will that consists of two of the top ranked heavyweights, one of whom was the champion.

Old
09-23-2012, 04:30 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
No you did not. You were asked what was inaccurate. You never once pointed out an inaccuracy. You simply apologized for the weaker numbers and tried to justify them.
The weaker numbers are justified due to the fighters fighting on those particular cards which drew smaller viewers.

Mike Tyson draws more viewers than Eddie Chambers, no kidding. Thanks Simmons.

Old
09-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Darkhorse1280

I don't even care as to who's right in this matter. I'm just glad that someone went out of their way to publicly humiliate that nerdy hack of a journalist Steve Simmons and drop him down a peg. He can certainly dish out the criticism pretty good and play devil's advocate all the time, but whenever the tables are turned and he suddenly becomes the victim of criticism, you won't find a word of it anywhere in his articles.

Nerd!

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 05:07 PM
The Iceman

http://mmajunkie.com/news/30760/whit...view-again.mma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
That flywieght fight sucked. Two guys running around like idiots, cant even land a clean shot in 5 rounds

The Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

I was hoping this thread title was literal.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 05:13 PM
MrLegend28

lol idiots defending an idiot, makes sense

MrLegend28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 05:53 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepeps View Post
Post fight press conference Dana ripped him a new ******* because of the column he wrote "UFC Jugger-NOT" Saying all his facts are wrong and he just wrote the story to be a dick.

As we all know this because he does it for Hockey and our leafs as well.... Funny to see him ripped apart again lol
Dana White a graduate of the Brian Burke School of denial.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 06:19 PM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Dana White a graduate of the Brian Burke School of denial.
An OT thread and you still manage to bring up your hatred towards Brian Burke.

Give it a rest already.

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 06:37 PM
SportsProsperity

Dana White did look like an idiot calling out Steve Simmons but how can you hate Dana White if you're a MMA fan. Dana White is the only reason the UFC and MMA is alive today. When the UFC was purchased it was valued at 2 million dollars and now its a billion dollar company. He was able to do this without any mainstream coverage at all. And most American sports shows still don't show UFC highlights.

SportsProsperity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
White was embarrassed by the card he put on in Calgary.

He's been under attack for his product recently, so he's in attack mode.
100% true.

the ufc product hasn't been very good lately. personally, i haven't been as excited about it these past 6-12 months. i used to love it and watch it all the time, but lately i don't care if i see it or not.

its too bad people have to attack steve simmons and dana white personally. the name-calling is insane. would be much better if we could actually talk about the merits of what they each said.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 07:25 PM
KuleminFan41

UFC 152 wasn't a bad card by any means , just the fights themself wasn't spectacular imo. Really wished Vitor finished off Jones

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 07:55 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
100% true.

the ufc product hasn't been very good lately. personally, i haven't been as excited about it these past 6-12 months. i used to love it and watch it all the time, but lately i don't care if i see it or not.
i'm in the same boat and so are more and more people. IMO biggest reason, is because the sport has become much more technical and defensive (i mean, i love defensive well coached hockey, but i understand the casual fan not really getting entertained by that aspect) . Fights are just less entertaining. I understand, the hardcore fans and peeps who train MMA, love the technical aspect of the game. Unless UFC makes some changes, i think me and you and others don't plan on making UFC night an event, like it used to be 2-3 years ago, when all my friends would meet up at the bar or at friends house etc.
Lesnar was hyped up so much, it's going to be hard to replicated that much of fan excitement.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 08:03 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Too bad he can't script fights and control their outcomes
I think the WWE has put on shows in Calgary, might want to check them out.
In talking about the Calgary show, White himself apologized.

Not sure if you are aware of how badly the last UFC in Calgary was received. It was an acknowledged (by White) disaster.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 08:41 PM
dubey
So hot right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
In talking about the Calgary show, White himself apologized.

Not sure if you are aware of how badly the last UFC in Calgary was received. It was an acknowledged (by White) disaster.
Again, all he can do is put the card together.

Want guaranteed excitement? WWE is a better option.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 09:26 PM
MarcWagz

oh come on guys, the NHL is closer to dying than the ufc is, the UFC isn't going to lockout anytime soon.

MarcWagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 09:28 PM
MarcWagz

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
i'm in the same boat and so are more and more people. IMO biggest reason, is because the sport has become much more technical and defensive (i mean, i love defensive well coached hockey, but i understand the casual fan not really getting entertained by that aspect) . Fights are just less entertaining. I understand, the hardcore fans and peeps who train MMA, love the technical aspect of the game. Unless UFC makes some changes, i think me and you and others don't plan on making UFC night an event, like it used to be 2-3 years ago, when all my friends would meet up at the bar or at friends house etc.
Lesnar was hyped up so much, it's going to be hard to replicated that much of fan excitement.

uh oh, the atheletes are too good at the sport! better quit well we're ahead!

MarcWagz is offline   Reply With Quote