HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Joe Colborne

Old
10-23-2011, 09:07 AM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
Joe Colborne

The lanky centre has had a blistering start to the season this year, putting up 10 points (4 goals, 6 assists) in the first 5 games. This gives him 26 points in 25 games since joining the Marlies last year. That is a point more than the 25 points he put up in 55 games with the Providence Bruins last year. He's putting up more than double the .ppg with the marlies than when he was with the B's. Does Joe's increased production make projecting him into a top-6 role more realistic for the Leafs?

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
I think he was always projected to be a top 6 center for the Leafs realistically. Hopefully a dominating AHL year with playoffs and he could be ready next year.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:02 AM
PumpkinBomb

vCash: 500
It's good to see this kid doing well.
There's so many people on HFBoards that want to see these kids fail, so it's nice to see a good story happening here.

To put it in perspective, I hope all the posters on here, who are so negative about other teams prospects failing, that next time you go for a promotion at work and don't get it, think to theirselves: "I'm a bust! I'm failing at life, and I'm never going to amount anything!"
Mind you, most of those posters are still in school and are a long way from that.

Thanks for the update OP.

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 11:29 AM
newfy

I watched him play against the griffs this year and he didnt really stick out. He did get a goal though, he seems to just know where to be to get points I guess.

I dont tihnk hes going to be a big game breaker with his speed, or dangling ability but will just know where to go to pick up points

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 11:31 AM
hyzer23

i would Love to see colborne in the NHL ASAP

hyzer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

he's a very skilled player, makes some nifty passes and is always in the right spot at the right time ....

i'd like to see how he develops in the AHL ... if he added some muscle/weight i think it would be very beneficial to him ...

it seems as though he has finally gotten used to his enlarged frame

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Interactif

A very smart player, first off what impressed most about Joe is his thoughtful answers in interviews, this is a guy that is very much about "we" and not "me" when he talks about his objectives. Reminds me of James Reimer, a very well spoken kid with his head screwed on right. 10 points in 5 AHL games, he's just getting better and better, think he is finally learning to use his body correctly. Has great vision and playmaking skills, will be a top 6 fwd for years to come when he makes the move the NHL, have to give Boston credit for being patient with him, and the Leafs doing the right thing playing him a lot with the Marlies this year, soon he will be too good to keep off the big club's roster.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:42 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Amazing vision and knowledge of the game. He may not be the most physical, or the most talented, but his hockey IQ is unbelievably high. He will get by on his size and ability to be in the right place at the right time.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:19 PM
golgoXIII

wich position is he playing in the AHL center or Wing ???

golgoXIII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:27 PM
hdtrax

He'll be Toronto's number one centre in two years.

hdtrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:33 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Kinda reminds me of a lesser Patrik Berglund, even though they're pretty similar in age.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:37 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgoXIII View Post
wich position is he playing in the AHL center or Wing ???
centre

i was reading an article how he rented ice time in his home town and hired 4 power skating teachers to help improve his skating

he's putting in work and is getting rewarded for it

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:18 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=597042

Quote:
Mike Ulmer: Tell me about how you plan to improve your skating?
Joe Colborne: I spent a lot of time in the summer working with power skating coaches. Iím never going to have the quickest feet like a Darryl Boyce. Instead, Iíve worked on becoming smoother and lengthening my stride. I think thatís helped me increase my top end.

Mike Ulmer: So how much work did you do?
Joe Colborne: I did my regular training but every other week we would have a different coach come out and work with us for two hours a day. I put it on. There were just one or two other players who sometimes joined us but the idea was to get as much individual attention as possible.

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:26 PM
The K Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
That's awesome to hear.

Still think he'll need to work on skating before he makes it to the NHL. He looked pretty slow in preseason.

The K Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:31 PM
IBLEAF
17 CLARK-SON 71

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
The lanky centre has had a blistering start to the season this year, putting up 10 points (4 goals, 6 assists) in the first 5 games. This gives him 26 points in 25 games since joining the Marlies last year. That is a point more than the 25 points he put up in 55 games with the Providence Bruins last year. He's putting up more than double the .ppg with the marlies than when he was with the B's. Does Joe's increased production make projecting him into a top-6 role more realistic for the Leafs?
this kid has all the tools he just has to put them all together..its good to see hes addressing his skating with the power skating coaches,man i hated power skating when was young but man does that make u an all around better skater!!

IBLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Theron
#beauty

Send a message via ICQ to Theron Send a message via AIM to Theron Send a message via MSN to Theron Send a message via Yahoo to Theron Send a message via Skype™ to Theron
he's PPG in the NHL already

if he keeps stockpiling points like this he will get the next call up for sure - he deserves it.

Theron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:59 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBLEAF View Post
this kid has all the tools he just has to put them all together..its good to see hes addressing his skating with the power skating coaches,man i hated power skating when was young but man does that make u an all around better skater!!
This was the full reason we grabbed Connolly. It allows Colborne to develop slowly and put it all together. Plus with Connolly's injuries, it shoudl allow spot call-up time to see how far Colborne has progressed.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:41 AM
MegaSpiderman66

he kinda reminds me of joe thornton in his style of play. big centerman, with good vision and passing, but not that physical.

MegaSpiderman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:57 AM
Antropovsky

Despite his good numbers in the AHL, I haven't ever been overly impressed with him in the NHL\Preseason games.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:49 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
Despite his good numbers in the AHL, I haven't ever been overly impressed with him in the NHL\Preseason games.
Bear in mind he has played a single NHL game, and one training camp / pre season with the leafs, during an offseason where they aquired 3 centres ahead of him on the depth chart (Connolly, Lombardi, Dupuis).

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
What was missed in that quote is he paid out of his own pocket for personal training this summer, that's dedication, impressive.

Old
10-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSpiderman66 View Post
he kinda reminds me of joe thornton in his style of play. big centerman, with good vision and passing, but not that physical.
I don't think he has the build to be a physical 'Lindros' type Center, he's lanky and is finally filling out but he's not a truck. I would liken him to Joe Thornton also, a player that uses his size and reach with natural playmaking skills, rather than a power fwd that will put people through the boards. Not sure he will ever be that, but the analysis from Boston was not spot on when I read, he was soft. Not sure where that came from, from what I saw with the Marlies he played in high traffic areas, got his nose dirty in front of the net, and stuck up for teammates when a scrum ensued. To me this is not a soft player per say.

Old
10-24-2011, 11:25 AM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

He's a big lanky kid, like a young eric staal. Hopefully he can fill out and work on the stride like he has been - if he can become an average skater he could be a solid 2nd line 50+ point guy.

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:47 AM
cneely

He was thought to be a "project" pick when the Bruins selected him; a few years away.

Nice to see he's coming around nicely.

It kinda hurts to think we had to include him in the Kaberle deal, but we won the cup, so all is good I guess.

cneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:41 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

I will be happy if he just becomes an average 2nd line center who can contribute at both ends of the ice.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote