HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan O'Byrne - assistant coach

Old
09-23-2012, 08:43 AM
shortcat1

vCash: 500
Ryan O'Byrne - assistant coach

I know that this isn't of any impact to us anymore but it's interesting anyway.

Ryan O'Byrne, former defenseman for the Canadiens and now with the Avalanche has taken on the role of assistant coach with his former BCJHL team, the Victoria Grizzlies.

He's taking it as an unpaid position in that the salary that would have come to him will be given to a charity of his that helps kids in sports. Good for him.

For those among us who can read French, here's the article I found:

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/348343.html

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 08:59 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

At first I forgot about the lockout and wondered why the hell he retired.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 09:09 AM
SpreeEndaz

That guy has more than one trick in his purse.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 09:16 AM
katatoniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
That guy has more than one trick in his purse.
well played .... well played

Good for him, he's a great guy

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

another stupid gauthier giveaway, hard to believe this type of character wasnt valued. O'byrne has intangibles that makes him better than his talent level. **** Gauthier.

Last edited by hototogisu: 09-23-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 10:59 AM
De Montreal
help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
another stupid gauthier giveaway, hard to believe this type of character wasnt valued. O'byrne has intangibles that makes him better than his talent level. **** Gauthier.
He have very low hockey QI. He seems like a good guy but I'm glad he is gone...

Last edited by hototogisu: 09-23-2012 at 11:28 AM.
De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 11:10 AM
Andy

Quote:
O'byrne is a bottom pairing d-man who has a low IQ. Don't make me fetch all the threads where almost the entire board couldn't stand him. O'byrne is too inconsistent, even with Colorado.

Last edited by hototogisu: 09-23-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
O'byrne is a bottom pairing d-man who has a low IQ. Don't make me fetch all the threads where almost the entire board couldn't stand him. O'byrne is too inconsistent, even with Colorado.
Actually he improved by leaps and bounds in Colorado.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
I don't doubt that, but he's still inconsistent and he's still a bottom paring d-man. He couldn't even force his way into the lineup in Montreal at a time where the team's defensive depth was weak. The only d-men that saw less ice time than O'byrne last year were Hunwick (who only played 33 games) and Wilson. I didn't really count Barrie since he only played a handful of games.

If O'byrne was 6'0, no one would even mention his name.

Old
09-23-2012, 11:19 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
He may be a regular in Colorado but he's still an inconsistent #5.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 11:33 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
I don't doubt that, but he's still inconsistent and he's still a bottom paring d-man. He couldn't even force his way into the lineup in Montreal at a time where the team's defensive depth was weak. The only d-men that saw less ice time than O'byrne last year were Hunwick (who only played 33 games) and Wilson. I didn't really count Barrie since he only played a handful of games.

If O'byrne was 6'0, no one would even mention his name.
So what? He's a much better player right now, he's a passable #4, he's very good defensively and he developed into a very good PKer. He and Hejda were the biggest pieces of the much improved Avs PK last year and that duo faced the toughest assignments on daily basis. Every Avs defensman who got paired with O'Byrne saw his production increase (that was especially evident when he played with Liles) because of ROB's ability to take care of defensive assignments which in turn allows his partners to play a more offensive minded game.

The last part of your post is absolutely ridiculous.

Old
09-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
He have very low hockey QI. He seems like a good guy but I'm glad he is gone...
What? Huh?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 11:46 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
O'Byrne is a decent defenseman but Bournival will be a lot more valuable. Bournival is the kind of player you win with and I have rated in my top-3 Habs Prospects.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Andy

Quote:
So what? He's a much better player right now, he's a passable #4, he's very good defensively and he developed into a very good PKer. He and Hejda were the biggest pieces of the much improved Avs PK last year and that duo faced the toughest assignments on daily basis. Every Avs defensman who got paired with O'Byrne saw his production increase (that was especially evident when he played with Liles) because of ROB's ability to take care of defensive assignments which in turn allows his partners to play a more offensive minded game.

The last part of your post is absolutely ridiculous.
What do you mean so what? O'byrne was absolutely terrible in Montreal and recieved chance after chance after chance. Reminds of Weber. These guys were terrible. O'byrne wasn't going to play in Montreal and he's lucky that Colorado had so many injuries on D when got traded there, it was the only way he was gonna get ice time.

For how good O'byrne is, only one other regular playing d-man got less ice-time than he did. Liles didn't play with O'byrne all of last year. Liles was also having a very good season before O'byrne arrived in Colorado, he had 11 points in 14 games before the O'byrne trade that year.

O'byrne is still a bottom pairing d-man for christ sake. I can't believe people are still lamenting over this. You don't see San Jose fans crying every freaking day because they traded Josh Gorges who also couldn't crack their lineup at the time. He's still a bottom pairing D-man, he was bad at the time of the trade and the only reason people still whine about him is because he's 6'5 and we all know how much habs fans get chubbies over size.

Hal Gill was also a fantastic PKer, I still don't want him back. O'byrne is still a bottom pairing d-man.

The same thing will probably happen with Weber (given the plethora of bottom pairing d-men on this team with St.Denis, Diaz, Emelin and now Boullion, let's not forget that there is Ellis, Beaulieu, Tinordi waiting as well), except that I bet a lot less people will give a damn (outside of the few that lament every single player that gets moved) since he doesn't have size.

I'm glad he found a role in Colorado, but he's still inconsistent and still gets bottom pairing minutes.

Last edited by Andy: 09-23-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old
09-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Well good for him. Let's move on now, shall we?

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 11:52 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

i like Obyrne, but he was awful with montreal. Like, real bad. Happy though he got a "fresh" start and get a chance to get some coaching experience. Maybe he shows up in montreal one day part of the coaching staff, who knows

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Really? I know everything the Habs do are the worst thing ever, but crying over a bottom pairing defenseman?

I'm happy for him finding more consistent role somewhere but he was useless as a Hab, and he certainly isn't the intimidating beast some of you think he is just because of his size.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 12:02 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
What do you mean so what? O'byrne was absolutely terrible in Montreal and recieved chance after chance after chance. Reminds of Weber. These guys were terrible. O'byrne wasn't going to play in Montreal and he's lucky that Colorado had so many injuries on D when got traded there, it was the only way he was gonna get ice time.

For how good O'byrne is, only one other regular playing d-man got less ice-time than he did. Liles didn't play with O'byrne all of last year. Liles was also having a very good season before O'byrne arrived in Colorado, he had 11 points in 14 games before the O'byrne trade that year.

O'byrne is still a bottom pairing d-man for christ sake. I can't believe people are still lamenting over this. You don't see San Jose fans crying every freaking day because they traded Josh Gorges who also couldn't crack their lineup at the time. He's still a bottom pairing D-man, he was bad at the time of the trade and the only reason people still whine about him is because he's 6'5 and we all know how much habs fans get chubbies over size.

Hal Gill was also a fantastic PKer, I still don't want him back. O'byrne is still a bottom pairing d-man.

The same thing will probably happen with Weber (given the plethora of bottom pairing d-men on this team with St.Denis, Diaz, Emelin and now Boullion, let's not forget that there is Ellis, Beaulieu, Tinordi waiting as well), except that I bet a lot less people will give a damn (outside of the few that lament every single player that gets moved) since he doesn't have size.

I'm glad he found a role in Colorado, but he's still inconsistent and still gets bottom pairing minutes.
He has 4th highest TOI of all Avs defensemen, he and Hejda faced opposing top lines, they were always on the ice when the Avs were protecting late leads and he's getting bottom pairing minutes?

Old
09-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Andy

Quote:
He has 4th highest TOI of all Avs defensemen, he and Hejda faced opposing top lines, they were always on the ice when the Avs were protecting late leads and he's getting bottom pairing minutes?
He averaged 18 minutes a night. Only Hunwick and Wilson averaged less. Hunwick played only 33 games.

Also, just food for thought....Raphael Diaz was the 4th most used hab D in terms of minutes...I still wouldn't call him a top 4 d-man.

Old
09-23-2012, 12:16 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
You'd rather have Bouillon?

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
You'd rather have Bouillon?
Did I say that? I think people pretty much know how I feel about Boullion being here. But considering that O'byrne got traded almost two years ago, I don't really see the connection between Boullion and O'byrne, unless of course you have some magical crystal ball that allows you to see two years into the future.

Old
09-23-2012, 12:31 PM
The Doors

O'Byrne's confidence was shattered at a young age. A young developing defenceman is going to struggle when he has no one supporting him. He needed to go somewhere else, and I'm glad he's carving out a role in Colorado. It's too bad, we could have used him, but it never would have worked in Montreal after the own goal and the purse incident (where he was only helping out a teammate).

I think his mom also passed away while he was a Hab. It just wasn't meant to be for him in the CH (though I think if they had landed Muller as a Head Coach the way it should have been, he would've been a great HC for O'Byrne).

He's a big player with a lot of character as a human being I hope he develops more of a mean streak and becomes a quality NHLer.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 01:51 PM
LeHab

Quote:
Good kid but sometimes:

Last edited by LeHab: 09-23-2012 at 04:28 PM.
LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 02:12 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by persh View Post
i was at that game, and was a huge obyrne fan at that point.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Would've loved for him to work out with the Habs, but Martin had his love affair with Picard so he wasn't going to get much of a chance.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote