HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

VAN-TOR then VAN-STL

Old
09-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Vankiller Whale
Spread the love

vCash: 1212
VAN-TOR then VAN-STL

To Toronto: Cory Schneider

To Vancouver: Dion Phaneuf

Rationale: As most Leafs fans seem to have the desire to continue stocking up on youth, it would make sense for them to acquire a young starting goaltender, and trade away a defensemen who will be leaving his prime when all their other defensemen will be hitting theirs(Gardiner, Rielly, Finn, Blacker...) It also helps clear their log-jam on defense while filling a gaping hole.

For the Canucks, we are in win- now mode, and I think most of us have wanted to win the cup with Luongo, he deserves it after all we've been through. We still have some very promising goalie prospects in Lack and Cannata that may better fit Luongo's timeline and eventual retirement. The addition of Phaneuf adds toughness and a right defenseman, thereby allowing the next trade to happen:

To St. Louis: Alex Edler

To Vancouver: Vladimir Tarasenko

Rationale: The Blues get a top-15 defenseman to play the left side with Pietrangelo. His dynamic play will help rejuvenate their offense from the back end, and will probably find his true game while paired with a reliable partner. The Blues would have arguably the best top-pairing in the league. They give up an extremely good prospect, but get an established number one defenseman. They deal from a position of strength(wing), and still have blue chip prospects at that position in Schwartz and Rattie.

The Canucks get their first Calder-worthy prospect in forever, adding a long-term high skill addition to our forward corps. Moving Edler means Garrison can play his natural side with Phaneuf, who's skills will greatly compliment each other.

Canucks lineup after the fact:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Tarasenko
Raymond-Schroeder-Kassian
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

Garrison-Phaneuf
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Ballard-Tanev

Luongo
Lack

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 12:42 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
I think it will be pretty much impossible to get Blues fans to move Tarasenko, but Edler is one of the few players that would completely fill every requirement for our LH dman hole. A contract extension would have to be agreed upon before we'd even consider.

Moving Tarasenko's potential is just way too unlikely in reality. He is our first potential true goalscorer since Hull, and that is more of a need than Edler would be.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Vankiller Whale
Spread the love

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I think it will be pretty much impossible to get Blues fans to move Tarasenko, but Edler is one of the few players that would completely fill every requirement for our LH dman hole. A contract extension would have to be agreed upon before we'd even consider.

Moving Tarasenko's potential is just way too unlikely in reality. He is our first potential true goalscorer since Hull, and that is more of a need than Edler would be.
Yeah, we'd probably have a handshake agreement in place about Edler re-signing. It makes up for the fact that although Tarasenko is extremely good, he's still a prospect who hasn't played yet. Imo the risk balances out.

Old
09-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Crymson
Fire Holland

vCash: 500
The Blues did very well last season. They have no reason to move a blue-chip prospect for Edler, especially given that the latter is only under contract for one more season.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Lundface

I would be pissed if we traded Schneider for that return

Lundface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 12:51 PM
trublu16

No. Plain and simple.

If this team can go through an entire season with CC as Petro's partner and still give up the least amount of goals in the league. Then tell me why in the world would I trade the one prospect forward that immediately impact the game by just stepping on to the ice. It doesn't make sense one bit.

And can't wait to here how other Vancouver fans will blow you up for giving up Elder for a prospect that has never played on NHL ice.

trublu16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Vankiller Whale
Spread the love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post
The Blues did very well last season. They have no reason to move a blue-chip prospect for Edler, especially given that the latter is only under contract for one more season.
The Blues have a huge hole on their top pairing next to Pietrangelo, and have a numerous amount of young wingers and winger prospects of high quality.

The only one of quality enough to net a number one defenseman is Tarasenko, and part of that is that Edler would need a handshake agreement to resign with them.

Old
09-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Vankiller Whale
Spread the love

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu16 View Post
No. Plain and simple.

If this team can go through an entire season with CC as Petro's partner and still give up the least amount of goals in the league. Then tell me why in the world would I trade the one prospect forward that immediately impact the game by just stepping on to the ice. It doesn't make sense one bit.

And can't wait to here how other Vancouver fans will blow you up for giving up Elder for a prospect that has never played on NHL ice.
Edler's biggest impact is in the offensive zone. He's an offensive defenseman, and would probably contribute more to your offense right now then Tarasenko would(as a rookie). As Schwartz and Rattie develop, they may make up for Tarasenk not being there, but as is you have a logjam of wingers.

Old
09-20-2012, 12:54 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
It's really not a huge hole. Pietrangelo finished 4th in Norris and the defense set records and Pietrangelo was playing the season with Colaiacovo and Huskins. Cole will probably get a shot when the season starts and once he gets experience, he could end up being an upgrade over what we had.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Finnish Your Czechs

Not interested in Phaneuf on any level. Especially at the cost of Schnieder.

Finnish Your Czechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Vankiller Whale
Spread the love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish Your Czechs View Post
Not interested in Phaneuf on any level. Especially at the cost of Schnieder.
Why not?

Old
09-20-2012, 01:11 PM
TieClark

As a Leaf fan I have no interest in trading Phaneuf for a guy with as much experience as Reimer

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post

Rationale: As most Leafs fans seem to have the desire to continue stocking up on youth, it would make sense for them to acquire a young starting goaltender, and trade away a defensemen who will be leaving his prime when all their other defensemen will be hitting theirs(Gardiner, Rielly, Finn, Blacker...) It also helps clear their log-jam on defense while filling a gaping hole.

For the Canucks, we are in win- now mode, and I think most of us have wanted to win the cup with Luongo, he deserves it after all we've been through. We still have some very promising goalie prospects in Lack and Cannata that may better fit Luongo's timeline and eventual retirement. The addition of Phaneuf adds toughness and a right defenseman, thereby allowing the next trade to happen:
I don't think we have a logjam on dmen (right now) anymore. In fact I want to trade for another personally.

We used to have a logjam, but that was because we still had Schenn + Aullie. Now we desperately need another defensemen who plays a similar style to those two and quite frankly Phaneuf is probably the closest we have to that at this time (not counting Komi because he hasn't played well). Phaneuf is probably the last person the leafs can afford to trade at this point.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 01:32 PM
Nine to Five
Now Eight to Four!

Why in god's name would the canucks trade Schneider for Phaneuf?
I don't think even Luongo for Phaneuf is a good trade but at least that one makes sense since Luongo can't be here for long.

if schneider was being traded because he held more value and luongo's not half bad himself, I think most canuck fans would be pretty pissed of Phaneuf was the return.

Nine to Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 01:54 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post

I'm saying no for this reason. If Toronto wants to trade for a Goalie they need to prove themselves as being a #1 Goalie for a full season, that's something Cory Schneider has never done. Yes he's put up great numbers the past few years, however that was on some great Canucks teams and could he have those same numbers playing on the Leafs?

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Vankiller Whale
Spread the love

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
I'm saying no for this reason. If Toronto wants to trade for a Goalie they need to prove themselves as being a #1 Goalie for a full season, that's something Cory Schneider has never done. Yes he's put up great numbers the past few years, however that was on some great Canucks teams and could he have those same numbers playing on the Leafs?
Well if you want we can swap him for Luongo. The Leafs can't have it both ways. If he's experienced and proven-too old for our core. If he's young and has succeeded at every stage he's been put in at every level(including 2 seasons in the NHL), he's still considered unproven as a starter.

Old
09-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Run705
The705Collection

Done from a TO perspective.

Run705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Haka

I don't think either of these trades make us better. Phaneuf is not what we desire on the backend, even if he's a right side. Our defense is built around defensively responsible all round defenders, which he is not. Furthermore, his greatest asset, his shot, would be redundant with the Garrison signing. Finally, his contract and age works against him especially in the context of trading Schneider.

Edler for a rookie, however his potential, doesn't exactly help our "win now" mode either. At this point if anything we'd be looking to do the opposite, trade a rookie for a veteran like Edler.

Both trades make us worse in the playoffs, imo.

Haka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 02:14 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

so Blues fans don't want to trade Tarasenko because he's got so much potential but then Leafs fans don't want Schneider because he hasn't shown enough of his potential?

oh HF double standards

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 02:25 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Schneider and Edler for Phanuef and Tarasenko?

uh no

EDIT: Just to clarify I don't mind Edler for Tarasenko at all. But Schneider needs to bring in way more than Phanuef for this to work.

WinterEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 02:27 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

The only hesitation I have is Edler's contract length, which basically sinks this deal. If not for the contract issue I would most likely be in favor of this trade, but I'm a believer in defense first, scoring second... other Blues fans may not feel the same.

The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 02:28 PM
StringerBell

Big no thank you from Van.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

Value is there from TOR POV just moving our captain seems like a no go right now.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 120
Well done Vankiller. Your best prop I've seen yet.

I'm no Dion booster but come on guys he may be a fair bit overpaid but he would still be a fantastic second pairing defenseman. Especially on the more offensive of the two pairings.

Edler to Phaneuf is a downgrade by a small margin IMO but the team would still have great goaltending in Luongo and have added a guy in Tarasenko that is out of the ballpark trade wise for Lou.

AP and Edler would probably be the new Weber/Suter...

Leafs move forward with the short rebuild gaining cap space and the league's #1 young goalie.

No one will ever all agree on yes/no anyway. Well schemed OP.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 03:43 PM
LyricalLyricist

If I were a Toronto fan i'd be furious if they traded Phaneuf for Schneider. Furious.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote