HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Obscure Lockout Locations

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2012, 11:53 AM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

vCash: 500
Obscure Lockout Locations

What were some of the most obscure places players played during the last lockout (or any rumors for this lockout!)?

Any players drop to beer league? Senior leagues? Under-hockey-developed countries, like China, Croatia, Netherlands, Ireland, Mexico, etc? Any players switch sports for the lockout?

Old
09-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
Rob Niedermayer played in Hungary.

Old
09-27-2012, 12:58 PM
chuck1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Rob Niedermayer played in Hungary.
Didnt know that; That's awesome! I'm half Hungarian

Old
09-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1100
Some Wild players and Minnesota-born NHLers are starting a lockout beer league here in Minnesota. It's not exactly an obscure location, but it's an obscure concept.

Old
09-27-2012, 03:23 PM
caley

Scott Gomez played in the ECHL last time. He might be there next year if the Canadiens can buy out his contract.

Old
09-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Scott Gomez played in the ECHL last time. He might be there next year if the Canadiens can buy out his contract.
He's to Brutal for ECHL Lol, he should go back to Alaska and play in the Beer leagues,he can become a star there haha

Old
09-28-2012, 03:29 PM
caley

Quote:
And right after I made that joke, Gomez has apparently signed with the ECHL again, this time joined by Nate Thompson and Joey Crabb.

Old
09-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Hugh Mann*
Hey! Hey! You! You!

Karl Dykhuis signed with a team in the Netherlands league last time around.

Old
09-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
40 goal season.

09-28-2012, 04:15 PM

Nick Boynton and a few others came and played over here.

Old
09-28-2012, 04:19 PM
DohBruins

I'm not sure if it was in the lockout, but i remember a few years ago Jamie McClellan played in Japan.

Old
09-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by DohBruins View Post
I'm not sure if it was in the lockout, but i remember a few years ago Jamie McClellan played in Japan.
now that is quite odd.

Old
09-28-2012, 04:22 PM
BritSabre

Brendan Witt signed with my local team at Bracknell Bees last time around. Annoying some tossers set his house on fire meaning be had to go after just 3 games.

This time around, Anthony Stewart has signed for Nottingham Panthers and hoping for more.

Old
09-28-2012, 04:24 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
Last lockout a few players played in the british elite league and there are a few teams trying to get players this time around

Old
09-28-2012, 04:25 PM
Dustin Peener
I wanna be sedated

vCash: 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritSabre View Post
Brendan Witt signed with my local team at Bracknell Bees last time around. Annoying some tossers set his house on fire meaning be had to go after just 3 games.

This time around, Anthony Stewart has signed for Nottingham Panthers and hoping for more.
One of my current teammates was training with the Bees at the time (he was 16) and said Witt was one of the slowest players on the team but skating backwards he was impossible to get past. He could also put away the beers like a champ apparently, living the dream in Bracknell

Old
09-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritSabre View Post

I have never heard of the nottingham panthers till just now lol. I guess players choose unique destination of their liking, also a good vacation thing? lol

As for the Japanese team, it was the Nippon Paper Cranes of the Asia League Ice Hockey.

Here's a little tid bit about both of those teams from wiki:

Quote:
The Nippon Paper Cranes (日本製紙クレインズ Nippon Seishi Kureinzu?) are an Asia League Ice Hockey team based in Kushiro City in Hokkaidō, Japan.
The club were founded as Jūjō Paper Kushiro Ice Hockey Club in 1949. They adopted the new name Nippon Paper Cranes in 1994 when Jūjō Paper and Sanyō Kokusaku Pulp merged to form Nippon Paper.
They won the inaugural Asia League in the 2003-04 season, and have won it two more times since then. They also have won the All Japan Championship five times.
Quote:
The Nottingham Panthers are a British professional ice hockey club based in Nottingham, England. They are members of the Elite Ice Hockey League. The team is officially known as the GMB Nottingham Panthers due to a sponsorship agreement with the GMB union.
The Nottingham Panthers have won three league championships (two English National League titles and one British National League title), four Championships, six Autumn Cups and five Challenge Cups during their history. They are the only team to have played in every season where a British league championship has been contested and are the only founding member of the Premier Division in 1983 to have continually participated in the top flight league. The Panthers have 16 members enshrined in the British Ice Hockey Hall of Fame and have had 34 players represent Great Britain at the World Championships and in Olympic qualifying.

Old
09-28-2012, 04:26 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
40 goal season.
you mispelt 3

Old
09-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
you mispelt 3
touche

Seriously it's sad that this is a try-out contract, not even a real contract?!

Old
09-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Dustin Peener
I wanna be sedated

vCash: 3500
Quote:
I have never heard of the nottingham panthers till just now lol. I guess players choose unique destination of their liking, also a good vacation thing? lol
It's not really that unique, it's a good league... It isn't much worse than the Allsvenskan where Kopitar and co. are playing, it's very import heavy yes, but still.

Old
09-28-2012, 04:53 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by DohBruins View Post
Not sure if it's in his new book (I haven't been able to track it down yet), but Jamie Maclennan's journals of his and Tyson Nash's time in Japan was absolutely must-read stuff.

Quote:
The first week here was good. We landed in Tokyo together and we did encounter a minor setback early. On my way through customs I was stopped and made to explain why I was importing an exotic bird with an enormous beak, leather skin, short legs and uncharacteristically long feathers.

I made them aware that, although loud, chirpy and surprisingly loaded with grayish wooden teeth, the animal was friendly and that people in Canada referred to the little guy as Tyson Nash.
http://www.tysonnash.com/articles/08...thn_blog.shtml

I can't seem to find the rest, but there was a section where he talked about going out in Tokyo and how people were running from them and screaming before he able to reassure them that the "leathery lizard-skinned creature with huge teeth" wasn't really Godzilla but actually Nash.

Old
09-28-2012, 05:47 PM
Booba
Bouger les pieds

Quote:
now that is quite odd.
Not really.

A bunch of NHLers have played in the top Asian league at some point :
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Several National Hockey League players have played in the league, including Greg Parks, Esa Tikkanen, Chris Lindberg, Tavis Hansen, Shjon Podein, Jason Podollan, Derek Plante, Steve McKenna, Jarrod Skalde, Joel Prpic, Tyson Nash, Jamie McLennan, Shane Endicott, Wade Flaherty, Kelly Fairchild, Brad Tiley, Ricard Persson, Bryan Young, Claude Lemieux, Brad Fast, Ric Jackman, Scott Barney and Cole Jarrett.
Actually Claude Lemieux played 2 games with the China Sharks who had a partnership with the San Jose Sharks. Lemieux eventually made a comeback to the NHL a few months later.

Old
09-29-2012, 01:20 AM
duxfan8

Paul Mara to ECHL Bakersfield is somewhat obscure. Nothing like England or Japan though!

Old
09-29-2012, 10:20 AM
DohBruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxfan8 View Post
Paul Mara to ECHL Bakersfield is somewhat obscure. Nothing like England or Japan though!
That's not even a lockout signing. He's playing there regardless of the lockout.

Old
09-29-2012, 10:21 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I understand some of the trade threads, but this really has nothing to do with the trade boards. This would be for history of hockey or in the stickied thread up top at the most.

Closed Thread