HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gooooooal!! The All-Purpose Association Football Thread #15 - Lifelong fans...

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Scott04

vCash: 500
Wanted Houston to win last year. No different this year. Hope they can pull it out.

Old
12-01-2012, 05:55 PM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Its not his diving that bugs me. I can't speak for others on that. It is his history.

His incidents (multiple) with Evra.

His World Cup display of sportmanship against Ghana.

I can't remember a player with the same kind of rap sheet.
The Evra incident was a joke. Eight games for using a word that has no racist relevance whatsoever in his mother tongue. You ever heard Suarez talk? The guy can't say **** in english. So then FA, give every foreign player a class in what you can't say in your own language because if you translate it, it will turn out as an insult.

It was all for FA to score political correctness points.

However, in the same game, Evra repeatedly saying he would punch another player's face, that's all fine of course.

And if you can't find players with worse rap sheets you simply haven't watched soccer much, that is for sure.

Old
12-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I haven't watched a ton. I only starting following EPL 2 years ago, and MLS 4 years before that.

Please don't take me wrong, i'm not attacking Liverpool. Suarez just isn't a likeable guy from the perspective of a guy who watches EPL for entertainment and without a dog in the hunt. I don't mean him any harm, I just doon't have any particulardesire to see him succeed.

Other players I hate for various reasons; Marcelo, Tevez, Maradona, Marquez, Ribery, Di Vaio.

Old
12-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Lol, about that
I have resigned myself to the knowledge that it's just not Arsenal's year.

Old
12-01-2012, 10:19 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
The Evra incident was a joke. Eight games for using a word that has no racist relevance whatsoever in his mother tongue. You ever heard Suarez talk? The guy can't say **** in english. So then FA, give every foreign player a class in what you can't say in your own language because if you translate it, it will turn out as an insult.

It was all for FA to score political correctness points.

However, in the same game, Evra repeatedly saying he would punch another player's face, that's all fine of course.

And if you can't find players with worse rap sheets you simply haven't watched soccer much, that is for sure.
That's a new one.

According to Evra's testimony, Suárez said in Spanish that he had earlier kicked Evra "because you are black", said "I don't speak to blacks" and used the word "negro" five times in total as they argued. Suárez had claimed that he used the word 'negro' only once to address Evra and this was intended to be conciliatory and friendly, but the FA rejected this claim as being "unsustainable and simply incredible given that the players were engaged in an acrimonious argument." As the conversation between Suárez and Evra took place in Spanish, linguistic experts were called in to help the panel with the meaning of the phrases. The panel concluded that "Suárez's use of the term [negro] was not intended as an attempt at conciliation or to establish rapport; neither was it meant in a conciliatory and friendly way."

Besides, punching someone in the face wouldn't be racism. It's being an *******. Being racist equates to being an ******* and scum of the earth. If you can't spot the difference you're part of the problem

Old
12-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
Manchester United up 4-3 and its only the 35th Minute

Edit : RVP shoots and the ball completely crosses the line, no goal was allowed. Should be 5-3

That feel when I could have gone to the game but thought it was tomorrow.

Goddamnit. And to boot, Reading-Arsenal is on the 17th, and I'm going home on the 14th. Why do the football gods hate me?

Old
12-02-2012, 08:26 AM
FirmestPiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
That's a new one.

According to Evra's testimony, Suárez said in Spanish that he had earlier kicked Evra "because you are black", said "I don't speak to blacks" and used the word "negro" five times in total as they argued. Suárez had claimed that he used the word 'negro' only once to address Evra and this was intended to be conciliatory and friendly, but the FA rejected this claim as being "unsustainable and simply incredible given that the players were engaged in an acrimonious argument." As the conversation between Suárez and Evra took place in Spanish, linguistic experts were called in to help the panel with the meaning of the phrases. The panel concluded that "Suárez's use of the term [negro] was not intended as an attempt at conciliation or to establish rapport; neither was it meant in a conciliatory and friendly way."

Besides, punching someone in the face wouldn't be racism. It's being an *******. Being racist equates to being an ******* and scum of the earth. If you can't spot the difference you're part of the problem
That FA report is so flawed it's not even funny. The whole thing was just one big misunderstanding. Suarez was pretty much found guilty before the "trial" had even begun and called a liar and a racist because there were mistakes made when translating his testimony. The whole thing was just one man's word against another with no evidence whatsoever. How the hell could the panel determine if Suarez's term of negro was not intended as an attempt at conciliation or to establish rapport if they hadn't even heard the conversation between the two.

Also, how Suarez was determined to be not credible as a witness and Evra wasn't is beyond me. (Considering he had falsely accused someone else of racism before).According to Evra, Suarez used the term negro at first just once, then 10, and then several days later it was suddenly 7 times. Then there's the argument that Suarez should've know better not to use the term negro in a country which wasn't his own and where the term is defined as a racist word. Then how does not the same argument not apply to John ****ing Terry using the word "You black ****ing ****" (I think most here knows what he said). Terry was even cleared in a court of law (which Suarez most certainly would of been too), which determined that there wasn't sufficient evidence to say he was guilty of racism. How many games did Terry get suspended for by the FA in the end? four? How does Suarez get eight? Quite ridiculous.

Then there's the attention he gets for diving, which does happen sure. As soon as it does happen though, there's pretty much a witch hunt for his head. Because his name is Suarez. Bale or any other Brit doesn't receive any of the blame or outrage as Suarez does, even if he dives just as much and as blatant. Fortunately some of this has been covered and discussed on the progam Match of the day (MOTD) in England recently.

As some others has said in articles on the web it's almost at a point where its bordering xenophobia.

Suarez is actually a very likeable guy, just misunderstood. Kinda like Kovy was when he was in Atlanta and before he was traded to the Devils. They're both very humble and all they care about is winning. Sure, Suarez doesn't seem that way when he's on the pitch, but it's as he said himself. There are two different faces too Suarez. The one on the pitch and the one off it. Two completely different faces.

Well this turned out to be a longer post than I anticipated.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:11 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

"the report is flawed" is such a cop-out argument. You weren't there and you didn't sit in. So you trust an assumption based on utter ignorance instead of something that serves as the ONLY reviewed piece of evidence on the matter.

Congrats you made it so nobody can ever argue against you.

-Has nothing to do with Terry
-"The whole thing was a big misunderstanding" so you were there right? heard him say it right? sat on the review panel and are one of the Spanish experts right?
-No evidence whatsoever - again you being presented with no evidence doesn't mean they weren't, which it's well documented they were.
-Once is enough, doesn't matter how often
-Other people diving is an argument to bust them for diving, not absolve Suarez for being a racist
-"articles on the web" nuff said
-"Two faces" well maybe he should control one of them and try not to be a racist

Quote:
It is at this point in his witness statement, having referred to these incidents, that Mr Suárez said: "It seems to me that PE misunderstood my use of the word negro. As I have said, it was meant in a conciliatory and friendly way in the context in which I have used the word throughout my life and as set out earlier in this Statement."
If anyone believes this I have no words, and this is only the first part.

Quote:
We received evidence from four of Mr Evra's team-mates about what happened immediately after the game. They were [Antonio] Valencia, [Javier] Hernández, Nani and Anderson. Their evidence was given in the form of written witness statements. These were served on Mr Suárez on 16 November 2011 with the Charge letter. Mr Suárez did not require any of these four players to attend the hearing for cross-examination and so Mr Suárez accepted their evidence in full. We proceeded, therefore, on the basis that the evidence contained in those witness statements is true and sets out what did, in fact, happen immediately after the game.
Quote:
As a result, as in the case of the four Manchester United players, Mr Suárez accepted in full the evidence of Sir Alex.
What evidence is that?

Quote:
Sir Alex and Mr Evra went to the referee's room. Sir Alex went in first, followed by Mr Evra. Sir Alex told Mr Marriner that they had a complaint to make. Sir Alex told him "Evra has been called a ****** by one of the Liverpool players." Sir Alex then motioned for Mr Evra to tell the referee what had been said. The referee told Phil Dowd, the fourth official who was also in the room, to take notes of what was said
Why defend someone who even accepted the evidence against him?

Last edited by GM17*: 12-02-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old
12-02-2012, 11:28 AM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
"the report is flawed" is such a cop-out argument. You weren't there and you didn't sit in. So you trust an assumption based on utter ignorance instead of something that serves as the ONLY reviewed piece of evidence on the matter.

Congrats you made it so nobody can ever argue against you.

-Has nothing to do with Terry
-"The whole thing was a big misunderstanding" so you were there right? heard him say it right? sat on the review panel and are one of the Spanish experts right?
-No evidence whatsoever - again you being presented with no evidence doesn't mean they weren't, which it's well documented they were.
-Once is enough, doesn't matter how often
-Other people diving is an argument to bust them for diving, not absolve Suarez for being a racist
-"articles on the web" nuff said
-"Two faces" well maybe he should control one of them and try not to be a racist
Evra himself was clear that he did not accuse, or consider, Suarez to be a racist or hold racist views. It was only for spoken words that in the context of the situation, translated into English, would be racially offensive.

Suarez himself is, as everyone can see, not exactly white, he grew up with a black grandfather.

Now of course how could Evra be of any fault in this situation, I mean a player who wipes his ass with his country's jersey during a game must be the good guy.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:37 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
Evra himself was clear that he did not accuse, or consider, Suarez to be a racist or hold racist views. It was only for spoken words that in the context of the situation, translated into English, would be racially offensive.

Suarez himself is, as everyone can see, not exactly white, he grew up with a black grandfather.

Now of course how could Evra be of any fault in this situation, I mean a player who wipes his ass with his country's jersey during a game must be the good guy.
The argument isn't that Evra is innocent. He's not. He made the same error poking fun at Suarez for being South American and should've been suspended as well. Terry shouldn't even be dressed this season whatsoever.

I just don't see the logic in absolving one person for the failed condemnations of others.

Should've been 2 x 5 match bans. Regardless they're both poison to sportsmanship.

Put Suarez in Compton and respond to anything with "because you're black". Put Evra in a Rio slum and have him ask anyone with "blah blah blah, you south American" and I doubt either come back alive. That's how I judge their guilt.

Old
12-02-2012, 07:34 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

In other news, Sterling + Rodgers having a row and Manchester United are rumoured to be keen on picking up the pieces.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...ed-not-1464115

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...ngrily-1465941

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...derkid-1468664

Manchester is prob just a link because they are targeting midfielders + nani is sucking (Sneijder)

Old
12-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
In other news, Sterling + Rodgers having a row and Manchester United are rumoured to be keen on picking up the pieces.

Manchester is prob just a link because they are targeting midfielders + nani is sucking (Sneijder)
Would like to pick up Sterling, however I would much rather SAF go after Zaha or Ince

edit: Appears Lewandowski will be headed to Manchester United as well in the Summer. (By far my favorite footballer in the world)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...er-United.html

Last edited by Devils Trap: 12-02-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old
12-03-2012, 08:58 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Would like to pick up Sterling, however I would much rather SAF go after Zaha or Ince

edit: Appears Lewandowski will be headed to Manchester United as well in the Summer. (By far my favorite footballer in the world)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...er-United.html
Falcao's been linked too but it's mostly poor rumour mongering. Lewandowski I can see, but no more strikers. Problems are in back atm w/ ageing players + injuries.

Sterling row is prob superficial. They low balled him and pissed him off but you have to believe Liverpool will pay up when it comes time.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:12 AM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:

I think that's been blown out of proportion, but that's not uncommon in journalism.

Maybe it's just because I can see "you'd be foolish not to sign" in a friendlier context. What we don't know is the context in which it was said. That's kind of important.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

When Man United signs midfielders I always have the same sentiment as when Barca signs more wingers.

When do you plan on playing them?

Though Giggs and Scholes wont be around forever.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
When Man United signs midfielders I always have the same sentiment as when Barca signs more wingers.

When do you plan on playing them?

Though Giggs and Scholes wont be around forever.
Giggs and Scholes wont be here much longer. SAF has had a rift with Nani and he was almost sold last transfer deadline. Also reports are saying SAF isnt not confident Ashley Young can come back to last season's form. They could use Wide Midfielders. Such as Sterling/Zaha/Ince

Old
12-03-2012, 01:33 PM
FirmestPiano

Dailymail and the mirror are hardly credible newspapers in England. Mostly gossip from them.

Guardian, Independent and The Times however.

Sterling situation is what it is. No one actually has a clue what's going on.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmestPiano View Post
Dailymail and the mirror are hardly credible newspapers in England. Mostly gossip from them.

Guardian, Independent and The Times however.

Sterling situation is what it is. No one actually has a clue what's going on.
They have been spot on with Lewandowski now Sky Germany is confirming Lewandowski has agreed to a 5 year deal

Old
12-03-2012, 02:11 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

As an Inter fan, I'll go ape-**** if Man U gets Sneijder. He's one of the only pieces left from the good ol days (circa 2010). It would be nice if our management opened up their pockets and stopped jerking him around with really lowball offers

Old
12-03-2012, 03:07 PM
FirmestPiano

Quote:
They have been spot on with Lewandowski now Sky Germany is confirming Lewandowski has agreed to a 5 year deal
Well Sky Germany are probably just referring to the mirror article, as happens quite a lot when it comes to transfer speculation. Sky aren't particularly reliable. If it was coming from a reliable paper from Germany then it would be more believable.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:16 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
As an Inter fan, I'll go ape-**** if Man U gets Sneijder. He's one of the only pieces left from the good ol days (circa 2010). It would be nice if our management opened up their pockets and stopped jerking him around with really lowball offers
He's gone no matter what at this point, but I'm not sure he's a good fit at united because they already have a dutch player and everyone knows there can only be one.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:21 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
lol kids these days

The "good ole days" were the mid-late 90s and resulted in NOTHING!!!!

Old
12-03-2012, 05:17 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
lol kids these days

The "good ole days" were the mid-late 90s and resulted in NOTHING!!!!
Depends on your definition of the good ol days. Mid-late 90's Inter were like mid-late 2000's NYR. Spend lots of money and get nothing out of it. At least in 2010 they won the Champions League. They need a young dynamic superstar like Balotelli was supposed to be. El Shaarawy would have been perfect...

Old
12-03-2012, 08:11 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

If Cisse stayed onside Newcastle wouldve won by more than 3 this evening.

Happy for the 3pts but two players hobbled off injured....COME ON!!!!!!!!!

Old
12-03-2012, 08:13 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

Sneijder, plz.

Gerrard, Sneijder, Allen, Lucas...

Sploosh.

Closed Thread