HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Stacked AHL Teams

Old
10-03-2012, 08:38 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
Jake Gardiner will be in the AHL.

As much as I like Hamonic, Gardiner is better.
Really? Gardnier played sheltered minutes while Hamonic was consistently out against top lines and winning the possession battle.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Adam Larsson may have a case as well although he is younger than Hamonic.
Quote:

Disagree. I think Hamonic is better than Gardiner now and in the future and Larsson now and likely the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
The Phantoms dominated Albany in shots. I don't think Albany "beat up" on Philadelphia.

With that said, I'm definitely encouraged by the game.
Reading Philly writers tweets made it sound like the goalie dug them a hole.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
Disagree. I think Hamonic is better than Gardiner now and in the future and Larsson now and likely the future.

Reading Philly writers tweets made it sound like the goalie dug them a hole.
Hamonic better than Larsson in the future? That's a pretty bold statement.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 10:57 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Bandwagon since 2008

Quote:
Yeah, I would disagree with that. I'm going with (overall careers):

Larsson > Hamonic > Gardiner > Cowen

All are future #1 if not #2 defenseman, that's just how I see it.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Super Sniper Cele

Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
Could anybody who has an idea tell me what the lineup for Syracuse will be looking like to start the season?

Super Sniper Cele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
The Phantoms dominated Albany in shots. I don't think Albany "beat up" on Philadelphia.

9 - 2 PP advantage...in a preseason game that would mean 16 more shots and momentum.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Is that so? Larsson projects to being the better offensive player, special team player and defensive player. The only thing Hamonic should be is more physical than Larsson. At 2 and a half years older Hamonic's Sabre stats are relatively similar to that of Larsson's with a slight edge to Hamonic. At the age of 21 Larsson will be dominating most competition in the NHL and probably be a top 20 defensmen.

Old
10-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Comparing training camp for NHL'ers vs AHL'ers is apples and oranges. If players aren't showing up for AHL camp then there is something wrong. Do you really believe NHL veterans give two thoughts?
Do you really think that Schenn and Couturier would've dove face first to block a shot in that game? They're likely already pissed that they are in the AHL so I think that it's very similar to the situation that I mentioned.

Quote:

A good goaltending performance never hurts.

Quote:
9 - 2 PP advantage...in a preseason game that would mean 16 more shots and momentum.
If the Phantoms had that many more PP's then maybe it's because Albany was chasing the play and were lucky to win that game on good goaltending on their part and maybe not so good goaltending on the Phantoms part? Again not nearly as big of an accomplishment as you are portraying it to be IMO.

10-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Yeah, I would disagree with that. I'm going with (overall careers):

Larsson > Hamonic > Gardiner > Cowen

All are future #1 if not #2 defenseman, that's just how I see it.
...or which one of those is not like the others.
An unknown, 2 defensive dmen, and the NHL leader in rookie D points.

Apples and Oranges.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Is that so? Larsson projects to being the better offensive player, special team player and defensive player. The only thing Hamonic should be is more physical than Larsson. At 2 and a half years older Hamonic's Sabre stats are relatively similar to that of Larsson's with a slight edge to Hamonic. At the age of 21 Larsson will be dominating most competition in the NHL and probably be a top 20 defensmen.
How did you feel about Hedman?

Old
10-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Paul4587

Quote:

Yeah in no way is Gardiner better than Hamonic.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:31 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Is Smith from Detroit being sent down to Grand Rapids?

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 09:49 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
How did you feel about Hedman?
I didn't get to watch as much NHL last year as in previous years but I still think Hedman is an tough minute all situation player in the same regard as Larsson. Guys like that are worth a fortune.

Old
10-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
If the Phantoms had that many more PP's then maybe it's because Albany was chasing the play and were lucky to win that game on good goaltending on their part and maybe not so good goaltending on the Phantoms part? Again not nearly as big of an accomplishment as you are portraying it to be IMO.
Or maybe Albany was undisciplined like all the interviews said, I trust what Wohlberg said in an interview over someone trying to analyze a boxscore. The parade to the box continually destroyed Albany's momentum.

Old
10-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Or maybe Albany was undisciplined like all the interviews said, I trust what Wohlberg said in an interview over someone trying to analyze a boxscore. The parade to the box continually destroyed Albany's momentum.
I'm analyzing a box score while you are tooting your farm teams horn because of a meaningless preseason game, neither one is right.

Old
10-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 182
Quote:
Definitely a bold statement, Larsson has terrific potential. I'm just going with gut feeling, I love what I see from both.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:07 PM
TheUnseenHand
madest thou look

Quote:
Definitely a bold statement, Larsson has terrific potential. I'm just going with gut feeling, I love what I see from both.
To be quite honest, even as a Devils fan, I can see where you're coming from. I really like what I've seen from Hamonic.

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Is Smith from Detroit being sent down to Grand Rapids?
Yep. It's still a pretty rough d-group even with him, though. You have two major wildcard rookies in Almquist and Nicastro and then some career AHLers.

Almquist-Smith should be great on the powerplay at least. Almquist is a fantastic passer with great hockey sense and Smith has the speed, shot, and the willingness to pinch/jump up into the play.

Last edited by Guru Meditation: 10-03-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:14 PM
Kamal007
GOD DAMMIT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Yeah in no way is Gardiner better than Hamonic.
Offensively?

Kamal007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
I'm analyzing a box score while you are tooting your farm teams horn because of a meaningless preseason game, neither one is right.
Sorry for commenting in a thread about "stacked ahl teams" when Albany is clearly showing that their depth players can dominate offensively against other teams best players. I sense a little jealousy of any talk other then Oklahoma.

Old
10-04-2012, 02:00 AM
Pyrophorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
Offensively?
He's a Ducks fan, he should be happy with Beauchemin.
His fellow fans said so.

Old
10-04-2012, 03:44 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
Yep. It's still a pretty rough d-group even with him, though. You have two major wildcard rookies in Almquist and Nicastro and then some career AHLers.

Almquist-Smith should be great on the powerplay at least. Almquist is a fantastic passer with great hockey sense and Smith has the speed, shot, and the willingness to pinch/jump up into the play.
Thanks, I'd assume that he should be one of the top D in the AHL this year and one that isn't being given as much credit as the guys that have taken the step to the NHL.

Quote:
Sorry for commenting in a thread about "stacked ahl teams" when Albany is clearly showing that their depth players can dominate offensively against other teams best players. I sense a little jealousy of any talk other then Oklahoma.
Yes, you are entirely right, this is why I have made mention about other good teams and players, but Albany's non stars scare the crap out of me as an Oilers/OKC fan. As a matter of fact they should just leave Larsson, Henrique, etc. at home if/when they play us, because they won't need them since they've already dominated a team with Schenn and Couturier.

I mean the team was 31-34-6-5 last season, but they will be getting a superstar like Tedenby he of the 20 points in 35 AHL games last year fame and Josefson he of the 19 points in 65 career NHL games fame. RNH and Eberle will blow any of your top guns production out of the water and then some, Paajarvi and Hartikainen are every bit of equals to everyone not named Henrique up front, and we also have high scoring AHLers like Green, Byers, and Arcobello. Sorry but if you think that Albany has me worried then you are really overrating the hell out of your team. BTW-Hall might be joining the team in short order, so you might want to pump the tires of some of your midling prospects some more.

Old
10-04-2012, 09:10 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Since there's so much bickering back and forth, can anyone dig up AHL stats from '05?

How did teams with top young NHL talent fare that season? What about the teams that had the most NHL players on their roster?

We already had someone in this thread earlier who proved that the majority of top 10 scorers were career AHLers and the top 3 goalies as well.
It can't be understated how valuable this was for the Sabres. Miller, Vanek, Roy, Pomminville, and Gaustad all emerged from that lockout and were added to the Briere/Drury core. It's probably the main reason the Sabres had as much success as they did post-lockout. You have to wonder if any team is going to get a similar lift.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2012, 01:40 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Quote:
Yes, you are entirely right, this is why I have made mention about other good teams and players, but Albany's non stars scare the crap out of me as an Oilers/OKC fan. As a matter of fact they should just leave Larsson, Henrique, etc. at home if/when they play us, because they won't need them since they've already dominated a team with Schenn and Couturier.

I mean the team was 31-34-6-5 last season, but they will be getting a superstar like Tedenby he of the 20 points in 35 AHL games last year fame and Josefson he of the 19 points in 65 career NHL games fame. RNH and Eberle will blow any of your top guns production out of the water and then some, Paajarvi and Hartikainen are every bit of equals to everyone not named Henrique up front, and we also have high scoring AHLers like Green, Byers, and Arcobello. Sorry but if you think that Albany has me worried then you are really overrating the hell out of your team. BTW-Hall might be joining the team in short order, so you might want to pump the tires of some of your midling prospects some more.
I love how you judge Josefson only by offense during an injury riddled season. He is an elite defensive center at the NHL level. I'm sure soft minute Hopkins will love to play against him and Larsson.

Tedenby didn't have much of a supporting cast last season. He was sent down to work on defense and get confidence up. You give him centers like Henrique or Josefson with a fresh season and I'm sure he will be near a PPG.

You clearly discount Butler and Parse, players if healthy are normally PPG players at the AHL level.

I have no doubt in my mind Albany's "middling" prospects can more than hold their own or even beat Oklahoma this year. Players in the Devils system are taught defense and how to actually win in the playoffs.

Old
10-05-2012, 01:55 PM
HockeyCrazed101

The Oklahoma City Barons scare the hell out of me and they're in the Marlies conference. Hopefully all the star young kids get the nod to play in the World Juniors, especially with it happening relatively early in the season where no AHL team will be bidding for a playoff race yet.

HockeyCrazed101 is offline   Reply With Quote