HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Stacked AHL Teams

Old
11-11-2012, 08:18 AM
Kreider
My name is Nils

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
So what's wrong with teh Barons then? Goaltending, D, stars don't care, bad luck, they dominate but still lose, poor depth, scoring or what?
Without watching any games, but just looking stats, it seems like a combination of all of those. A lot of the same problems the Oilers have.

Kreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:33 AM
IdealisticSniper

vCash: 500
As long as the Crunch don't play the Amerks any more thy will go undefeated the rest of the way

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 08:52 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Charlotte has to be in that mix somewhere. What they've done this year with starting the season on the road until November is just ridiculous. They might not have the star power of OKC, but their depth is just ridiculous.
They are third in win% today.

klozge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
So what's wrong with teh Barons then? Goaltending, D, stars don't care, bad luck, they dominate but still lose, poor depth, scoring or what?
from what I've seen, the attempt to split up Hall, RNH, and Eberle failed (maybe because of lack of chemistry with their linemates?). Anyways, when all put together last night they looked solid, not overwhelmingly dominant like some thought initially but Hall will regain his form after being out for so long.

Very impressed with Paajarvi-Lander-hartikainen last night

Linden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicknitty View Post
did the season end already? Those awful awful barons. Tbh I thought their record would be a lot better by now but still a long ways to go. The oilers were off to a great start last year but you saw how it ended...not saying the opposite will happen here but the first few games of the season don't indicate how a team will do for the entire season. But I guess people will use any excuse to bash our young stars
Considering you guys over hyped them and claimed they would rip the AHL, already claiming the barons as calder cup champs, and then have the start that they're having, obviously there's going to be some backlash. But hey it's just everyone else right.

Sky04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
from what I've seen, the attempt to split up Hall, RNH, and Eberle failed (maybe because of lack of chemistry with their linemates?). Anyways, when all put together last night they looked solid, not overwhelmingly dominant like some thought initially but Hall will regain his form after being out for so long.

Very impressed with Paajarvi-Lander-hartikainen last night
To be fair, most of their line mates don't even belong on NHL 3rd-4th lines, the talent gap is quite large between those 3 and the team.

However that's no excuse for them to play/act like they're above everyone else, really looks snobby and spoiled.

Sky04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 06:43 PM
Linden

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
To be fair, most of their line mates don't even belong on NHL 3rd-4th lines, the talent gap is quite large between those 3 and the team.

However that's no excuse for them to play/act like they're above everyone else, really looks snobby and spoiled.
I think the intention was to boost the confidence of some of their lesser guys and hopefully have a 3 line attack. Unfortunately it seemed to backfire and I could see it as a possible reason why the big 3 were struggling due to the fustration of having incompentent linemates.

Question- Why does Eberle wear an "A" I'm not trying to imply that he isn't a good leader but it seems strange not to give it to an AHLer for life.

Old
11-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:

When have they acted like that?

Oberyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 06:52 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I think the intention was to boost the confidence of some of their lesser guys and hopefully have a 3 line attack. Unfortunately it seemed to backfire and I could see it as a possible reason why the big 3 were struggling due to the fustration of having incompentent linemates.

Question- Why does Eberle wear an "A" I'm not trying to imply that he isn't a good leader but it seems strange not to give it to an AHLer for life.
There isn't really any veterans on the team besides Green (who already has the C)... Which is also one of the biggest problems the team has right now. Our "veteran" dman is 24 year old Taylor Fedun who just spent a year off with a broken femur

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Linden

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
There isn't really any veterans on the team besides Green (who already has the C)... Which is also one of the biggest problems the team has right now. Our "veteran" dman is 24 year old Taylor Fedun who just spent a year off with a broken femur
ok that makes sense, it just seemed odd initially

Old
11-11-2012, 08:14 PM
pocketful
"We'll see"

Quote:
Considering you guys over hyped them and claimed they would rip the AHL, already claiming the barons as calder cup champs, and then have the start that they're having, obviously there's going to be some backlash. But hey it's just everyone else right.
To be honest, they SHOULD have dominated. With Ebs, RNH, Hall, and Schultz added to the team it was expected for them to rip up the AHL. Sadly, they are not The life of an Oiler fan is hard.

pocketful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Grand Rapids is doing quite well for a team with some MAJOR weak links. Thankfully Nyquist/Smith/Tatar/Mrazek are playing well enough to make up for that.

Guru Meditation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2012, 09:47 PM
redwingsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Charlotte has to be in that mix somewhere. What they've done this year with starting the season on the road until November is just ridiculous. They might not have the star power of OKC, but their depth is just ridiculous.
Been to a couple of their games this season. Only glaring flaw I see with Charlotte is that they occasionally over pass. Especially on the powerplay.

Aside from they, they look real good.

redwingsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 07:56 AM
The Nose
#BlameTheKids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
Grand Rapids is doing quite well for a team with some MAJOR weak links. Thankfully Nyquist/Smith/Tatar/Mrazek are playing well enough to make up for that.
Don't forget Billins, hes been great.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:00 AM
Gary83*

Heat are playing pretty nice. One regulation loss this season and the game they lost in regulation was their third game in three days.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 09:05 AM
ilovetheflyers8

The Phantoms have B. Schenn and Couturier. From what I have heard Couturier has been doing quite well, and I think Schenn is doing okay, but I think I've heard he wasn't so great sometimes. That being said Schenn leads the team in points with 4G and 7A. The Phantoms also have a number of guys who got NHL experience last year like Zac Rinaldo, Harry Zolnierczyk, Erik Gustafsson, Marc-Andre Bourdon (though he played through a concussion last season), and AHL veteran who has played in the NHL in the past Danny Syvret, but it hasn't helped as the team is currently playing quite badly. It should be noted that Rinaldo and Harry Z would be 4th liners in the NHL if there wasn't a lockout, and Bourdon is likely a bottom pairing defesneman if he can manage to stick in the NHL.

edit- The Phantoms don't have as bad a record as I thought, they currently have a record of 5-6-0.

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 11-12-2012 at 10:47 AM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 06:05 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolorous Edd View Post
It's been almost two weeks since this was posted, the current top five is...

Abbotsford Heat 10GP 7-1-0-2 80.0%
Springfield Falcons 10GP 7-1-0-2 80.0%
Syracuse Crunch 10GP 7-1-1-1 80.0%
Charlotte Checkers 13GP 9-3-0-1 73.1%
Bridgeport Sound Tigers 10GP 7-3-0-0 70.0%
The current top five on points percentage are:

Springfield Falcons 14GP 10-2-0-2 78.6%
Syracuse Crunch 14GP 10-2-1-1 78.6%
Abbotsford Heat 15GP 10-2-1-2 76.7%
Charlotte Checkers 16GP 11-3-0-2 75%
Bridgeport Sound Tigers 14GP 10-4-0-0 71.4%

The same top 5 as around a week ago (slightly different order).

The gap to the next team is almost exactly the same as the gap between 1 and 5 (Grand Rapids Griffins on 64.3%) Are these 5 pulling away?

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:48 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Barons problem is the same as the Oilers...they can't play a team game to save their lives.
someone/something needs to pull them together on the ice. Individual efforts are great and can win you games (especially with the natural skill they have) but right now they don't look like they fit together. Wait to see what the new Oilers coach does with them, though.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Gibbs18

Hatty!

Gibbs18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:38 AM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Barons problem is the same as the Oilers...they can't play a team game to save their lives.
someone/something needs to pull them together on the ice. Individual efforts are great and can win you games (especially with the natural skill they have) but right now they don't look like they fit together. Wait to see what the new Oilers coach does with them, though.
Huge problem for Oklahoma as well has been their attendances lately.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:52 AM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:
It goes beyond lack of system play although i agree with your take on that.
It's the makeup of the team. They thrust a bunch of rookies into prominent roles with veterans who are just not good enough and they depend entirely too much on one line offensively, a line that is too young to be depended on night in and night out so basically, as you said, it's the same exact problems that the Oilers have to a T.
They are still 8-5-1 so it's not all bad but they are clearly underachieving.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:10 AM
HockeyCrazed101

Quote:

How much different is the Barons roster outside of Hall, Eberle and RNH? Because regardless of where these guys would place in the NHL, the Barons won their conference last season.

I haven't seen any of the Barons games but I have a hard time believing that any of those three guys would be taking that kind of attitude.

HockeyCrazed101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:17 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
I agree, the talent is obviously there on the team, but they aren't playing as a cohesive unit. And Schultz, Eberle & RNH are all in the top scoring in the league.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:51 AM
alpine4life

Springfield Falcons, Syracuse Crunch, Charlotte Checkers, Abbotsford Heat...

I dont really give a crap who's NHLers on those teams but to have a 10-2 records means that you have a pretty deep team

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Dan-o16

What's crazy about Bridgeport, with all the NHL-ready talent (including Travis Hamonic, which isn't really fair) on the roster... It has become Brock Nelson's team.

I mean, we knew he had a very good offensive year at UND last year, but nobody saw this coming.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote