HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Stacked AHL Teams

Old
09-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
We will see. With Henrique and Josefson, Albany has the 2nd and 3rd line centers of the team that went to the NHL finals last year. Henrique was 1st line center most of the season. They also have arguably the best defensmen in the league with Larsson. Add that to Butler, Tedenby and a bundle of career AHL ppg players and Albany will be very tough to beat.

If the NHL season isn't a total wash Albany's season will flush down the toilet since Butler, Tedenby, Josefson, Larrson and Henrique will all probably be up with the main team.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Pesonen - Henrique - Butler
Tedenby - Josefson - Sislo
Wiseman - Zalewski - Anderson
Hoeffel - Wohlberg - Sestito

Gelinas - Larsson
Urbom - Corrente
Burlon - Leach
Kelly

Kinkaid
Wedgewood

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 02:11 PM
The Chiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchen44 View Post
They did get worse, not as a team but in comparison to the rest of the league. For instance redo that series vs OKC, add Ebbs and the nuge and its a sweep.
The Marlies won that series pretty easily 4-1, I'm not so sure adding 2 players makes OKC automatically sweep the 2nd best team in the league. If you go by that logic, then the Barons should be basically unstoppable this year on their run to 76-0. The good thing about the AHL, is that unlike the NHL, the games will be underway soon and we'll get to see who's wrong and who's right.

You Oiler fans are setting yourselves up to be flamed later if your young stars don't set the league on fire. What's gonna happen when lesser prospects have more points or are playing better than Edmonton's big prospects? There's probably going to be some backlash if they don't go 1 2 in league scoring, with Schultz the most points on D.

The Chiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 02:17 PM
The Chiddler

For all you bashing this guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStBullies View Post
Meh. Marlies beat them in 5.

Last I checked; the playoff finalists are the two best teams. A team that was beat by one of them on the way to the finals; is hardly better.

You're probably going by season standings; the Marlies were only 3 points back. I think beating the Barons 4-1 in the playoffs more than makes up for that.

Insert your excuses now...
He was replying to this guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
The Barons for sure.

Apart from RNH, Eberle and Justin Schultz, they've got 2011-12 AHL top goaltender Yann Danis, AHL all-star Alex Plante on D, a myriad of reliable veterans like Josh Green and Dane Byers, and lots more young guys including Paajarvi, Hartikainen and Teubert.

They were already the second best team last season. Can't imagine what they'll be like this season.
I think we can agree that they weren't the 2nd best team last year, no?

The Chiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chiddler View Post
The Marlies won that series pretty easily 4-1, I'm not so sure adding 2 players makes OKC automatically sweep the 2nd best team in the league. If you go by that logic, then the Barons should be basically unstoppable this year on their run to 76-0. The good thing about the AHL, is that unlike the NHL, the games will be underway soon and we'll get to see who's wrong and who's right.

You Oiler fans are setting yourselves up to be flamed later if your young stars don't set the league on fire. What's gonna happen when lesser prospects have more points or are playing better than Edmonton's big prospects? There's probably going to be some backlash if they don't go 1 2 in league scoring, with Schultz the most points on D.
To think the OKC barons aren't going to be one of the best team is ludicrous. They were the third or fourth best team last season based on playoff performance and the second best team based on record.

They didn't lose anyone substantial and they added to legitimate NHL players, one being an all star and the other being a Calder finalist. Take into account they also added Marincin and Schutz who are highly regarded prospects outside the AHL and you've got an even stronger team. Having a whole season of Paajarvi also helps.

Now I'm not going to say they're going to go undefeated or anything, or that theyll be the best team for sure, but on paper this is probably the best team in the AHL.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Chips*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
or that theyll be the best team for sure, but on paper this is probably the best team in the AHL.
The best team "on paper" is a projection to translate itself towards on-ice performance.

Chips* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by bach View Post
The best team "on paper" is a projection to translate itself towards on-ice performance.
Yeah but isn't the purpose of this thread to discuss the most stacked AHL team... essentially the best team on paper? Nobody knows who the best team on ice is yet, all we can do is discuss the best team on paper.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 05:43 PM
RipsADrive
Draft Dynasty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chiddler View Post
For all you bashing this guy:

He was replying to this guy:

I think we can agree that they weren't the 2nd best team last year, no?
He was likely referring to regular season results where OKC finished behind only Norfolk in points.

RipsADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 06:12 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

I had some hope for the Griffins, but it looks like they could get beaten up on a bit now. Brunner is staying in Switzerland for the season now. That's a big blow.

Nyquist-Andersson-Pare
Tatar-Sheahan-Ferraro
Parkes-Aubry-Jurco
Someone-Raedeke-Callahan

Lashoff-Smith
Almquist-Nicastro
Paetsch-Evans

Mrazek/McCollum

I actually have no idea which side Paetsch or Evans prefer, but that hardly matters. I'd also expect Jurco and Ferraro to switch spots at about the halfway point of the season.

In a normal AHL year, that would be a solid lineup. In this abnormal AHL year, I think they'll get slaughtered. The offense is decent and has some depth, but the D is pretty scary aside from Smith. Almquist and Nicastro are both very, very far from sure things even at the AHL level. The goaltending is iffy. Mrazek was good at the junior level; can he adapt quickly enough? McCollum has been just terrible every year since he's been drafted. I think he might not even be good enough to be an AHL backup.

The big question with this team is: can Smith dominate enough to make up for the fact that the rest of the D is mediocre?

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 06:50 PM
Yog S'loth

FORWARDS: Andy Andreoff, Marc-Andre Cliche, Richard Clune, Robbie Czarnik, Justin Johnson, Brandon Kozun, Stefan Legein, Andrei Loktionov, David Meckler, Jordan Nolan, Brian O’Neill, Tanner Pearson, Nikolay Prokhorkin, Tyler Toffoli, Linden Vey and Jordan Weal.

DEFENSEMEN: Andrew Bodnarchuk, Andrew Campbell, Nick Deslauriers, Thomas Hickey, David Kolomatis, Jake Muzzin and Slava Voynov.

GOALIES: J.F. Berube and Martin Jones.

That's IF Voynov and Loktionov show up.

*sigh*

Monarchs are hosed. Going to be a tough year in Manch.

Yog S'loth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
I think Bridgeport can match that depth

Nino Niederreiter - Brock Nelson - Kirill Kabanov
David Ullstrom - Casey Cizkas - Colin McDonald
John Persson - Johan Sundstrom - Sean Backman
Mike Halmo - Jason Clark - Matt Watkins
Brandon Defazio - Max MacKay - Blair Riley

Calvin deHann - Travis Hamonic
Aaron Ness - Matt Donovan
Ty Wishart - Nathan McIver
Jon Landry - Marc Cantin

Kevin Poulin
Anders Nilsson
Looking forward to seeing how Nelson and Nino do this year, and Hamonic will likely be the most intimidating D in the AHL this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
He was likely referring to regular season results where OKC finished behind only Norfolk in points.
They were the 2nd best regular season team, there's really no telling if the Marlies were the 2nd best team last season, for all we know that could've been the last team that Norfolk beat to get the the Calder Cup Finals. That said the Marlies definitely beat the Barons and deserved to be in the Finals and were the better team in that series. Since that series we will have added RNH, Eberle, Schultz, Marincin, Fedun, Davidson?, and Teubert (injured during the series) and we will have lost Yeo, Keller, Tremblay, Helmer, Grant, Chorney, and Rodney.

I like our chances a bit more this year. Schultz will be a much needed improvement on the back end offensively and on the PP (what the Barons hoped that Rodney would be when they traded for him and then some), Marincin should be somewhere in the neighborhood of the other D not named Yeo (the biggest loss on D in that list IMO) and our forwards will be much improved without a doubt.

I can't say that I don't like our chances

All that being said there will be a number of really good teams this year and a handful of great teams, the Marlies should be in the mix as they will have Gardiner and Frattin all year long.

09-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog S'loth View Post
FORWARDS: Andy Andreoff, Marc-Andre Cliche, Richard Clune, Robbie Czarnik, Justin Johnson, Brandon Kozun, Stefan Legein, Andrei Loktionov, David Meckler, Jordan Nolan, Brian O’Neill, Tanner Pearson, Nikolay Prokhorkin, Tyler Toffoli, Linden Vey and Jordan Weal.

DEFENSEMEN: Andrew Bodnarchuk, Andrew Campbell, Nick Deslauriers, Thomas Hickey, David Kolomatis, Jake Muzzin and Slava Voynov.

GOALIES: J.F. Berube and Martin Jones.

That's IF Voynov and Loktionov show up.

*sigh*

Monarchs are hosed. Going to be a tough year in Manch.
You guys used some of your assets to get to the top and you did, now your team can go back to restocking the cupboard and build a strong farm team again.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 08:22 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Hopkins and eberle are going to rip the AHL to shreds

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 09:01 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Just a hunch, but RNH and Eberle are going to be targeted. More heavily than they were in the NHL. Anyone worried about anything untoward happening to the young stars that will be sent down? From any team that has AHL eligible NHL star-calibre players.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 09:03 PM
Swervin81
Magic Mitch™

OKC, Houston, Bridgeport, Toronto, Albany, and maybe Norfolk again.

Swervin81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 09:10 PM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Just a hunch, but RNH and Eberle are going to be targeted. More heavily than they were in the NHL. Anyone worried about anything untoward happening to the young stars that will be sent down? From any team that has AHL eligible NHL star-calibre players.
They aren't going to get targeted more in the AHL than they would in any other league. Should the fans of players who are playing in Europe be worried as well?

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 09:28 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
They aren't going to get targeted more in the AHL than they would in any other league. Should the fans of players who are playing in Europe be worried as well?
I disagree. perfect way to make a name for yourself for a player who's strength lies not in his snipe but in grit or hitting or whatever would be to make life hell for the skill players. These are guys who are going to be playing in the NHL anyway or are probably more likely to than most of the guys filling the leagues in Europe.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 12:55 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
OKC, Houston, Bridgeport, Toronto, Albany, and maybe Norfolk again.
You mean Syracuse?

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 01:01 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post

All that being said there will be a number of really good teams this year and a handful of great teams, the Marlies should be in the mix as they will have Gardiner and Frattin all year long.
Definitely Jake will be up, and Frattin will have a great shot too.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 01:08 AM
robdicks

OKC is going to be stupid good for the first few months, but once the lockout ends, everything is going to change. I'm glad that the Marlies are going to do well.

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 01:24 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStBullies View Post
Meh. Marlies beat them in 5.

Last I checked; the playoff finalists are the two best teams. A team that was beat by one of them on the way to the finals; is hardly better.

You're probably going by season standings; the Marlies were only 3 points back. I think beating the Barons 4-1 in the playoffs more than makes up for that.

Insert your excuses now...
Read this post and expected some logical replies that would argue against. Then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intangibles View Post
They aren't the same teams at all.. was Binghamton the best team last year? no because teams get better and worst every year. Did the Barons have rnh, hall and ebs last year? No they didn't
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonight We Are Young View Post
That was last year.

With RNH,Eberle,J.Schultz, and Hall down the road the Marlies won't have a chance against OKC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Second best regular season team then, happy now? Who are the Marlies adding;bringing back this year? Gardiner, Frattin, and who else?
Almost all content in the replies are irrelevant. Pretty damn sure he was replying to the part where the guy said "They were already the second best team last season."...and not some fictionalized post that said they will be the second best team next season.

And yes, I realize they were the second best regular season team in terms of standings. But Marlies beating them in the playoffs imo means they were the better team last season. And no, I'm not saying they were the better team solely because they beat them in the playoffs. If they were 8th place (or something along those lines) and beat them, I'd say OKB would easily be the better team. But Marlies had the 3rd best reg season record and beat them fairly clearly in the playoffs.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
Tangerine should've been more clear then, because second best regular season team does not necessarily = second best team. BayStBullies, imo, was correct in his response.

Last edited by MeowLeafs: 09-27-2012 at 01:36 AM.
MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 01:25 AM
Aucoin11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadri43 View Post
I think what you are missing is that you should never make absolute statistical inferences. I mean I guess you can say it is your hypothesis but you will not know if it will be correct for a number of years (Crosby vs Kessel). There is a possibility that Kessel could end up with more points than Crosby over the course of their careers. You could also claim a hypothesis that Sam Gagner could score more goals than Kessel by the end of their careers. Again you will not be able to support or reject the hypothesis for a number of years. Just to reiterate, Justin Bieber is not the coolest person and should not be referenced.
The entire premise of your argument, the stubbornness you show in this situation, your taste in music, and your attitude in general barely warrants more than a Justin Bieber response.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 01:33 AM
James Franco

Norfolk:
Maroon-Holland-Palmieri
DSP-McMillan-Etem
Caputi-Wagner-Lasch
Mitchel-Elkins-Bodie

Lindholm-Vatanen
Guenin-Clark
Smaby-Hendry

F. Anderson
Bobkov

James Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 03:56 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Franco View Post
Norfolk:
Maroon-Holland-Palmieri
DSP-McMillan-Etem
Caputi-Wagner-Lasch
Mitchel-Elkins-Bodie

Lindholm-Vatanen
Guenin-Clark
Smaby-Hendry

F. Anderson
Bobkov
It'll be interesting to see how Etem transitions to the pro game. Lots of story lines to this years AHL season.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 07:40 AM
MoreGore

One thing we all know is that the AHL will be a much better league while the lockout is on. With that in mind, guys coming up from the CHL will likely find the transition even tougher than normal.

As an Ottawa fan, Bingo will have a few coming up, and I expect it will be a real wakeup call. Stone, Pageau and Prince will all find it quite a challenge. I think it is quite possible to see Prince and Pageau in the ECHL to start. Stone, being bigger should hold a spot fine.

The guys from the SEL, Zibanejad, Claesson and Silfverberg will need time to adapt to the smaller ice surface.

In the end I expect Bingo to have a better talent base, but will not do that well to start. Hopefully, as the season wears on, the learning curve will flatten out, and the team will be better.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote