HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 — Slovakia Roster Discussion (Released, post #1)

Old
01-10-2014, 09:09 AM
Corax

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvkInNHL View Post
Sorry SoundAndFury, but what you are doing is battle with windmills.

We know what we have in Handzus and we know that we wont find anyone suitable for 1C in national team. Could he be better? Yes! But for us its enough. We dont need superstar on each position like Canada and we havent so many talented players that we can afford left players like Giroux or MSL at home, but you will see that our players will gave heart on ice. This roster is kind of a beauty against what we were expecting

Btw. It was Handzus"s poke-check on Plekanec"s pass, which lead us to the WC final in 2012 and I wont forget that.
And deflection goal to eliminate Canada.

Corax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 09:12 AM
begbeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAndFury View Post
By the way, buzz around Chicago after today's practice is that Kruger will be "officially" slotted into the second line and Handzus demoted to the fourth in tomorrow's game against Montreal.
At least there is a higher chance that he won´t be injured at the right time and well rested

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 09:30 AM
Corax

Quote:
By the way, buzz around Chicago after today's practice is that Kruger will be "officially" slotted into the second line and Handzus demoted to the fourth in tomorrow's game against Montreal.
Ok, demoted. You just mentioned that he does not play 2nd line. Please chose one.

So now it is official, Slovakia has crappy top 6. Again. Let me put it this way:

"Not sure why many of you were against Blugers/Handzus going to Sochi. He's such a heady player, he's good defensively and his face-off skills are unbelievable. Sure he's no Crosby but having a guy with his skill set would've given Latvia/Slovakia an advantage in a few situations."

So I hope we had Blugers now. Never heard of him, but he must be just bellow Crosby considering that Handzus sucks and this guy is great.

And imagine that bums like Marcel Hossa outplayed statistically Kovy. "That bums" is choice of your words. Does it mean we have Kovy format player on our team? Enlighten me. Also tell me where your love and interest for Slovakia comes from. Then we can work on it.

Old
01-10-2014, 10:23 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Everyone please calm down, you can debate the merit of individual players without name calling.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 11:48 AM
QnebO

How close or far was Nagy making the team? He had a slow start in FEL but now he looks like a real deal. Good patients.. I'm surprised that Olvecky was picked over him, I remember him from KalPa, FEL I think from last year, but he has probably gone forward since then.

Edit:
Just after writing this Nagy scores a beautfy

Last edited by QnebO: 01-10-2014 at 12:10 PM.
QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 12:11 PM
begbeee

Nagy has a long history of coach/training issues. Lazy. Altough this label may not be actual, he probably never gets rid of it.

Old
01-10-2014, 12:33 PM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
Nagy has a long history of coach/training issues. Lazy. Altough this label may not be actual, he probably never gets rid of it.
I saw he's first liiga game at the Arena and he was bit lazy, was trying to be too fancy and ended up playing horrible game. But since then he's started working and skating better, and that leads to possibility of use he's skill, too.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 01:36 PM
begbeee

Honestly, he was probably our best forward during WC 2011 - or maybe the fastest, lol. I already don't keep an eye on him, but given circumstances (lot of teams in recent seasons) I believe his attitude is still an issue.

Old
01-10-2014, 05:53 PM
MessierII

The Slovaks are a pesky team it will be interesting to see how they follow up their best ever Olympic performance.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2014, 10:30 PM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Slovak View Post
Ok, demoted. You just mentioned that he does not play 2nd line. Please chose one.

So now it is official, Slovakia has crappy top 6. Again. Let me put it this way:

"Not sure why many of you were against Blugers/Handzus going to Sochi. He's such a heady player, he's good defensively and his face-off skills are unbelievable. Sure he's no Crosby but having a guy with his skill set would've given Latvia/Slovakia an advantage in a few situations."

So I hope we had Blugers now. Never heard of him, but he must be just bellow Crosby considering that Handzus sucks and this guy is great.

And imagine that bums like Marcel Hossa outplayed statistically Kovy. "That bums" is choice of your words. Does it mean we have Kovy format player on our team? Enlighten me. Also tell me where your love and interest for Slovakia comes from. Then we can work on it.
First, I never said he doesn't play on Chicago's second line. He does/did. I said he's not Chicago's 2C (you labeled him that) because he's not given such responsibilities or the ice time. He was playing on the second line but he's fourth in the pecking order, that's what I was saying all along and there's no evidence in the world which would support a case against it.

Secondly, I was making a case for Blugers as a fourth line center/13th forward in the Olympics. Someone like Martin Cibak who didn't even make the Slovakian team would be a huge upgrade for a Latvian one. Here's how Latvian center depth looks like: Sprukts - injured since September played 3 matches this season, Vasiljevs - injured, 0 matches this season, Dzerins - not going to Olympics, Girgensons - just turned 20, plays wing in the NHL, Berzins - is ok player in the Kazakh league. Slovakian situation is no way comparable to Latvians and your goal is probably more than to get at least one point. I would agree that guy like Handzus would still be a good fourth line center for many teams but the problem is he will be called upon to do much more than play 8 minutes per game and win face-offs.

Thirdly, that thing about Hossa was said in the comment about Kovalchuk's performance and was said sarcastically. If you followed the discussion we joked about it with Ozo afterwards. I, as well any other person who supports Riga's Dinamo to any extent, love the guy. So not sure what you are driving at here or what's your question.

My interest in Slovakia is fairly general and since I follow both KHL and NHL very closely I feel like I'm entitled to have an opinion on a few things.

"Here's a statistic, the average person in the world has less than 2 legs. Which is absolutely correct but somewhat misleading."

Last edited by stv11: 01-11-2014 at 05:29 AM. Reason: removed attack on poster
SoundAndFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 03:31 AM
Namejs
The Buffalo Eichels

Quote:
Here's how Latvian center depth looks like: Sprukts - injured since September played 3 matches this season, Vasiljevs - injured, 0 matches this season, Dzerins - not going to Olympics, Girgensons - just turned 20, plays wing in the NHL, Berzins - is ok player in the Kazakh league.
Džeriņš>Girgensons? Girgensons has twice as many points as Džeriņš does in KHL, has a clear advantage in size and can play physically and is much better at puck possession, yet he's worse than Džeriņš?

You also forgot about Pavlovs and Ķēniņš/Daugaviņš, both of whom have been tried out at center.

Also - how do you win face-offs by not playing?

Last edited by stv11: 01-11-2014 at 05:33 AM. Reason: removed attack on other poster
Namejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 04:29 AM
SamuelSlovak

In my opinion Kopecký is going to be the Nr.1 center, though he plays RW for the Panthers. Kopecký also had some issues this season, but he looks confident at the moment.

SamuelSlovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 04:55 AM
Tatanik

Send a message via MSN to Tatanik
Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
How close or far was Nagy making the team? He had a slow start in FEL but now he looks like a real deal. Good patients.. I'm surprised that Olvecky was picked over him, I remember him from KalPa, FEL I think from last year, but he has probably gone forward since then.

Edit:
Just after writing this Nagy scores a beautfy
Olvecky has developed into a pretty damn good defensive forward while with Slovan. Good penalty killer. Probably explains why

Tatanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 05:15 AM
Corax

Quote:
First, I never said he doesn't play on Chicago's second line. He does/did. I said he's not Chicago's 2C (you labeled him that) because he's not given such responsibilities or the ice time. He was playing on the second line but he's fourth in the pecking order, that's what I was saying all along and there's no evidence in the world which would support a case against it.

Secondly, I was making a case for Blugers as a fourth line center/13th forward in the Olympics. Someone like Martin Cibak who didn't even make the Slovakian team would be a huge upgrade for a Latvian one. Here's how Latvian center depth looks like: Sprukts - injured since September played 3 matches this season, Vasiljevs - injured, 0 matches this season, Dzerins - not going to Olympics, Girgensons - just turned 20, plays wing in the NHL, Berzins - is ok player in the Kazakh league. Slovakian situation is no way comparable to Latvians and your goal is probably more than to get at least one point. I would agree that guy like Handzus would still be a good fourth line center for many teams but the problem is he will be called upon to do much more than play 8 minutes per game and win face-offs.

Thirdly, that thing about Hossa was said in the comment about Kovalchuk's performance and was said sarcastically. If you followed the discussion we joked about it with Ozo afterwards. I, as well any other person who supports Riga's Dinamo to any extent, love the guy. So not sure what you are driving at here or what's your question.

My interest in Slovakia is fairly general and since I follow both KHL and NHL very closely I feel like I'm entitled to have an opinion on a few things.
You claimed Slovakia has a crappy top 6, now you bring relativity into play talking about Latvia. So relatively speaking, Slovakia has very solid top 6.
We are ranked around 7th place before any major tournament, this is exactly how top 6 with that rep should look. Nothing crappy about it.

Thanks for your contribution. You are entitled to have your opinions just don't play smart comparing 2010 team with this, it was considered to be old and washed up. You might be claiming in 2018 that 2014 was a great top 6.

Last edited by stv11: 01-11-2014 at 05:34 AM. Reason: edited quote
Old
01-11-2014, 05:53 AM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namejs View Post
Džeriņš>Girgensons? Girgensons has twice as many points as Džeriņš does in KHL, has a clear advantage in size and can play physically and is much better at puck possession, yet he's worse than Džeriņš?

You also forgot about Pavlovs and Ķēniņš/Daugaviņš, both of whom have been tried out at center.

Also - how do you win face-offs by not playing?
Nevermind the order, it wasn't really important to illustrate the point. Sure Girgensons is much better player than Dzerins, it's not even a question.

And you win face-offs by not playing the way Steckels and Smithsons of the world do - timely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Slovak View Post
You claimed Slovakia has a crappy top 6, now you bring relativity into play talking about Latvia. So relatively speaking, Slovakia has very solid top 6.
We are ranked around 7th place before any major tournament, this is exactly how top 6 with that rep should look. Nothing crappy about it.
Relatively speaking, Slovakia would have a superb top-6 in the D1B but why does that matter? If your goal is to have a very solid top 6 compared to Latvians or Slovenians so sure, you have it. But I felt that more fitting comparison would be Finns, or Czechs, or Swiss.

Also, it's hugely surprising how you fail to acknowledge that team with Demitra, 4 years younger Handzus, Chara and Hossa and Gaborik was better than this one. But I don't really have any arguments to prove it to you if you see it that way.

Last edited by SoundAndFury: 01-11-2014 at 06:00 AM.
Old
01-11-2014, 06:31 AM
SamuelSlovak

SoundAndFury, do you really think that Switzerland has a more competitive top-6 then Slovakia? Obviously, the Swiss have some young guns, but they still don´t have players at the same level like Hossa and Gaborik

SamuelSlovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 07:11 AM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelSlovak View Post
SoundAndFury, do you really think that Switzerland has a more competitive top-6 then Slovakia? Obviously, the Swiss have some young guns, but they still don´t have players at the same level like Hossa and Gaborik
No, I'm not saying that. I just said that it would make more sense to compare those two. And the top-6 we are arguing about is the one SvkInNHL listed without Gaborik. I don't think we would even have this discussion if Gaborik was on it. But there was Panik.

Old
01-11-2014, 12:39 PM
Corax

Tatar - Kopecky - Hossa
Gaborik - Handzus - Jurco

Of course Hossa and Gaborik would like to play on the same line, but hopefully coach will have last word on this. I am concerned about Gaborik's conditioning, though he used to be injured often in long stretches and always came strong from the first game back.

Handzus can do stretch passes and Jurco can collect the pucks and try some magic.

Kopecky, Tatar and Hossa could be a good fit. I am happy about our blue line. Very mobile. Hopefully Meszaros will peak in February.

We could do some damage. Semifinals has to be the goal.

Old
01-11-2014, 02:09 PM
zorz

Interesting fact - Michal Handzuš is probably the first Slovak player ever with a chance to be in Triple Gold Club, if you guys win this tournament.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 05:16 AM
ThrashersfanSVK
@Jakub_Homola

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlegoon View Post
Any idea what number Tatar will wear? Not sure if it's been posted anywhere but I can't find it. I wanna order myself a jersey

He's listed with no. 90 on the roster, which was spread at press conference. I think it should be a reliable source.

ThrashersfanSVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 05:17 AM
ThrashersfanSVK
@Jakub_Homola

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
Interesting fact - Michal Handzuš is probably the first Slovak player ever with a chance to be in Triple Gold Club, if you guys win this tournament.
Miroslav Šatan had this chance at last Olympics, as a World Champion from 2002 and Stanley Cup winner from 2009.

ThrashersfanSVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 05:18 AM
begbeee

Miroslav Satan had a chance already during the last Olympics.

//:Beat me to it.

//: Altough not expected, Meszaros seems he is getting into the shape. Next good news are Tatar becoming hot and regular NHL play for Marincin. Things look to work for us.

Last edited by begbeee: 01-12-2014 at 05:26 AM.
Old
01-12-2014, 10:44 AM
Kibe
Regular User

Intresting squad, only real problem I see Is the lack of quality centers. Newer seen Jurco play so is it true he's got no use outside top6? If so then I would roll the lines like this:

Tatar - Kopecky - Gaborik
Jurco/Zabo - Handzus - Marian Hossa
Marcel Hossa - Surovy - Panik
Bartovic - Ölvecky/Marcinko - Miklik

I have no idea who will center the 4th line but thats how I see the top3 centers how do you Slovak's see it? Am I even close? As I said I dont know much about Jurco but I would give the kid a try then if he's not productive in such high level game (dont lynch me but its possible) then I would try Zaborsky there. One of those two will probably eat popcorns, I like Zabo's game but Jurco might have an edge there or am I way off?

Can't really deside on the defense but it seems like a good balanced squad.

Is Halak a lock for the starter?

Kibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 11:15 AM
martin1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
Intresting squad, only real problem I see Is the lack of quality centers. Newer seen Jurco play so is it true he's got no use outside top6? If so then I would roll the lines like this:

Tatar - Kopecky - Gaborik
Jurco/Zabo - Handzus - Marian Hossa
Marcel Hossa - Surovy - Panik
Bartovic - Ölvecky/Marcinko - Miklik

I have no idea who will center the 4th line but thats how I see the top3 centers how do you Slovak's see it? Am I even close? As I said I dont know much about Jurco but I would give the kid a try then if he's not productive in such high level game (dont lynch me but its possible) then I would try Zaborsky there. One of those two will probably eat popcorns, I like Zabo's game but Jurco might have an edge there or am I way off?

Can't really deside on the defense but it seems like a good balanced squad.
Most of us don't really believe that Gaborik and Vis will be fit.. This is how I see it:

1st line: Tatar - Handzus - Hossa
2nd line: Jurco - Kopecky - Panik
3rd line: Zaborsky - Olvecky - Miklik

4th line v1: Surovy - Marcinko - Bartovic
4th line v2: Hossa Jn - Surovy - Bartovic

Many things depends on who will replace Gaborik and Vis..

Chara - Granak
Sekera - Meszaros
Baranka - Sersen
Marincin

Halak
Budaj
Laco

Quote:
Is Halak a lock for the starter?
Sure if he will be healthy

martin1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2014, 11:54 AM
Kibe
Regular User

I just dont like the idea of Zabo in the 3rd line maybe could try Panik there
and Zabo on the 2nd? Or is there some previous chemistry with that 3rd line? Gaborik would be a HUGE loss for you hope he get's well in time, one of my favourite players for sure.

Kibe is offline   Reply With Quote