HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is the Ovechkin we all know coming back? Looks like it.

Old
09-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Atas2000

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
KHL ripping off team colours and jerseys? Niiiice. Looked like Tampa and NYR were playing.
I strongly recomend you to read a bit about russian hockey before leaving such half cooked comments here. Dynamo Moscow is way older than the new born Lightning. Also the SKA color scheme is waz to old to be a "rip off"

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by special blend View Post
Interesting that Kovalchuk already has the 'C' with SKA as a temporary player.
Didn't you hear the laughter about it from russian fans. It must have reached your distant shores. Anyway SKA is known for this kind of nonsense.

Old
09-24-2012, 02:45 PM
timmeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Wasn't from the same game.

I like how he makes that blind-side hit look so clean.

And Ovechkin with number 32? The fudge?!

timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmeh View Post
I like how he makes that blind-side hit look so clean.

And Ovechkin with number 32? The fudge?!
He wore 32 before the went to the NHL. 32 is retired in Washington.

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 03:01 PM
TheNorth
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywoot View Post
Weird seeing Ovi in Leafs/Lightning-esque colours, and Kovi in a Rangers-like uniform.

I hope Ovi can return to form, its better for the game.
I'm sure we well see them both in a rangers jersey one day, knowing New York

TheNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 03:16 PM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
I strongly recomend you to read a bit about russian hockey before leaving such half cooked comments here. Dynamo Moscow is way older than the new born Lightning. Also the SKA color scheme is waz to old to be a "rip off"
I doubt he means the color scheme itself, more like color scheme plus jersey design. And I have to admit - it does look similar to Rangers

ViD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 05:33 PM
M A K A V E L I*

Why aren't those Russian jerseys in Cyrillic?

M A K A V E L I* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Kesler2Kesler
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by M A K A V E L I View Post
Why aren't those Russian jerseys in Cyrillic?
I believe it is because the KHL has spread out further than just Russia now, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

Kesler2Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Sutter16

It looked like the Penguins were going to win the Stanley Cup. That "look" was wrong.The NHL and KHL are two completely different leagues. Ovechkin looked great in the game clips but that's in the KHL.

Sutter16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Kesler View Post
I believe it is because the KHL has spread out further than just Russia now, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong anyone.
You are right

Old
09-24-2012, 08:19 PM
Preisst
Party On!!

As far as I'm concerned the Ovechkin I know never left. He's always been a one dimensional player and he still is, he just doesn't score as much as he used to, his style of play was bound to catch up to him and it did.

So as to the question posed of the Ovechkin "we all know" there really isn't much more to add.

Preisst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2012, 08:23 PM
domdo345

Habs fan here. The 2009-2010 playoffs is the worst thing that happened to the Caps. They were 1st in the east, they were playing reckless offensive hockey and were almost unstoppable. They out-shot and out-chanced the Habs by a HUGE margin every games. Halak was the only reason they lost. But the media kept calling out Green, Ovie, Semin for not playing defense. They didn't need/have to, they always had the puck in the O-zone. That 2010 team was a scary one that's for sure. They just were out of luck/ Halak'd. Then the next season begins and they play a conservative that did not suit them at all. Prior to 2011, I was scared that my Habs had to play the Caps. Not anymore.

domdo345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 05:25 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preisst View Post
As far as I'm concerned the Ovechkin I know never left. He's always been a one dimensional player and he still is
This is just pure idiocy and was disproved multiple times. Ovechkin has always been a great goal scorer and a great physical player, he also developed into a great playmaker over his career. These are already 3 dimensions.

As for OP, I guess Ovechkin's weight's influence was highly overblown (at his best years he was 235+). Though I surely hope he can return to his best.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:10 PM
wreckless

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
Habs fan here. The 2009-2010 playoffs is the worst thing that happened to the Caps. They were 1st in the east, they were playing reckless offensive hockey and were almost unstoppable. They out-shot and out-chanced the Habs by a HUGE margin every games. Halak was the only reason they lost. But the media kept calling out Green, Ovie, Semin for not playing defense. They didn't need/have to, they always had the puck in the O-zone. That 2010 team was a scary one that's for sure. They just were out of luck/ Halak'd. Then the next season begins and they play a conservative that did not suit them at all. Prior to 2011, I was scared that my Habs had to play the Caps. Not anymore.
Exactly.

It's sad how influential the media is. Vancouver did the same thing after the Bruins loss. Tried to change their game based on one series.

wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:20 PM
NewFang

How can I watch these games?

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:20 PM
TheGoalJudge

Quote:
I agree with this post. I originally thought they would become more complete and just revert back to the run and gun style when they had to but it seems like all their players just went braindead with the new system.

That WAS team was ****ing scary. I was ******** my pants that whole series. Immense offensive team.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 04:06 PM
Sheriff66

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLu7ioN View Post
He looks great there, but needs to commit to keeping himself in shape over the long haul

Sheriff66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 04:31 PM
TrillMike

Why's he wearing 32?

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 05:57 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
Why's he wearing 32?
It's the number he wore before he went to the NHL. It's also retired by the Caps, so he had to switch. Plus, 8 is taken in Dynamo already.

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 06:03 PM
tmunnuch

Where can I get my grubby hands on an Ovechkin Dynamo jersey?

tmunnuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 06:05 PM
JetsFlyHigh

The Ovechkin I know is a diva.

JetsFlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Chileiceman

Quote:
Good points. It does seem to me that they went overboard with this defensive syle hockey that did no suit the players they had on the team. Had Washington won that series I think Boudreau is still coaching in Washington.

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Paxton Fettel

Ovechkin has been so invisible so far. It'd say "useless".

Paxton Fettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 02:18 AM
Sergei DRW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
KHL ripping off team colours and jerseys? Niiiice. Looked like Tampa and NYR were playing.

WTF? Dinamo's white and blue uniform is more than 60 years old, while "Tampa" is an expansion team nobody has heard about in the times of Maltsev, Myshkin and other great Dinamo players, but nice try.

Last edited by Sergei DRW: 09-30-2012 at 02:24 AM.
Sergei DRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 08:41 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chileiceman View Post
Good points. It does seem to me that they went overboard with this defensive syle hockey that did no suit the players they had on the team. Had Washington won that series I think Boudreau is still coaching in Washington.
this is a misread. yes, had they beaten montreal(had the ovechkin tying goal-knuble goalie interference call counted) its true. boudreau would still be coaching the capitals.

its not accurate to say the caps went overboard on defense as a result. they went defensive during the big losing streak season BEFORE last during the hbo show. they werent scoring and ovechkin was among the least scoring of the bunch. that was the season that ovechkin went nearly the entire season without a power play goal at home.

yea, hunter went defensively overboard after boudreau left, but had ovechkin and the caps power play kept up its rate of scoring to anything like its previous norms season before last, things would have been different.

in short the caps going defensive didnt kill the caps offense. a dead caps offense forced them to go defensive. meanwhile, lets not forget that the caps were one dumb or unlucky high sticking penalty from the eastern conference finals anyway.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote