HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Arrow

Old
12-07-2013, 10:04 AM
SkiesOfArcadia
Duckjet's Chairman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStreetBullies View Post
Wait, RDJ being cast as Tony Stark/Iron Man was met with universal skepticism? If anything, he was tailor made for the role.

And initially, the complaints people had with casting Michael Keaton is that he was unknown at the time, and a well-known actor should've been the one to don the cape and cowl.

And of course, we all know how much people complained when Heath Ledger was cast as Joker. But that was for different reasons, ranging from "pretty boy can't play the Clown Prince of Crime" to "his acting sucks lolzers".

I really hope Ben Affleck proves people wrong, I've been waiting a long time for a Superman/Batman film.
Casting was mixed IIRC, you have the people who said it was a brilliant move, and you also have those to used Downey Jr's past to justify why this wasn't a good move (admittedly, Marvel was taking a huge risk, that paid off big time). The common denominator in these fanboys raging over casting choices is that they raged before they could even see how well the actor portrayed the character. At least, wait until we see something before declaring it terrible.

SkiesOfArcadia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 08:04 PM
BlackStar

Another fantastic episode tonight!

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 08:10 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
Why?

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
Another fantastic episode tonight!
I know!

Slade as the villain... oh boy.

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Wait, RDJ being cast as Tony Stark/Iron Man was met with universal skepticism? If anything, he was tailor made for the role.

And initially, the complaints people had with casting Michael Keaton is that he was unknown at the time, and a well-known actor should've been the one to don the cape and cowl.

And of course, we all know how much people complained when Heath Ledger was cast as Joker. But that was for different reasons, ranging from "pretty boy can't play the Clown Prince of Crime" to "his acting sucks lolzers".

I really hope Ben Affleck proves people wrong, I've been waiting a long time for a Superman/Batman film.
The problem with Keaton was that he was a comedic actor taking on a serious role and people were skeptical about him doing a good job of it, from what I can remember, there were other issues as well, but that was a big one I think.

The problem with Affleck isn't that he was cast as Batman, it's that he was cast in a movie that people had been waiting on forever, a Batman vs Superman movie, it's what comic book movie dreams were made of. Superman is a comic book hero I despise, it's because of his death and resurrection that comic books suck balls to this day, the moment you bring someone back, it kills having new character take over or anything like that, I will forever hate superman for that, but yeah, to re-cast the role in a huge movie when you had the best person playing it for 3 movies kind of stings, then they go out and cast a WW that is skinny and yeah she is a bad ass in real life being in the Israeli army and being hot, but unless she does squats like a mad woman, that's another idealistic WW that women are going to whine about.

In any case, I enjoy Arrow and I am glad it's the only solid comic book adapted tv show on right now, it's better than Smallville ever could be, the teenage angst and powers of the week bit were so damn tiresome.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 08:52 PM
Honour Over Glory

Also, about RDJ - Maybe they were skeptical given his past, but he regained enough respect with the few movies he did prior to being cast as Stark. But he did 1 great Iron Man movie, turned in a solid performance in Avengers and then followed it up with two very very bad Iron Man movies in part 2 and 3.

If that's the best Marvel has to offer, it's not all that great. They have the monopoly in the comic book movies because they have solid franchises that are promoted well.

I mean if DC had any brains, they would do a better job casting and make a few R rated movies for their franchises and go from there.

2 Superman reboots in 10yrs?

Batman is finally resurrected properly with 3 Bale/Nolan films and then they recast with Affleck in a Batman vs Superman movie when the Superman movie wasn't even all that good to begin with? Superman's best scenes were without Clark Kent in them, which is hilarious to me. I have no problem with Affleck, again, it's about the timing of it all, you make a HUGE movie like this and you go with a new character when another one is back in his 2nd time as Superman? Really? That's just a horrible idea. They better have some great writers for this one and make it air tight for script, the actors are fine, the script will need to be on point.

It would also be great to go with a Nightwing movie, move away from re-doing batman over and over,if that's all you can do with your franchises, you are an epic fail, imo.

Other stand alone movies...

GL - Reynolds wasn't bad at all, the script was really really really bad.
Flash - Please?
Green Arrow - TV show is great, a movie might not be bad.
Aquaman - Entourage jokes aside, it'd be cool.

Etc...

Follow the Marvel path in a way.

Last edited by Honour Over Glory: 12-11-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old
12-11-2013, 09:13 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalDevil View Post
Devils.

No Country for Old Men.
OR
Oldboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
The problem with Keaton was that he was a comedic actor taking on a serious role and people were skeptical about him doing a good job of it, from what I can remember, there were other issues as well, but that was a big one I think.

The problem with Affleck isn't that he was cast as Batman, it's that he was cast in a movie that people had been waiting on forever, a Batman vs Superman movie, it's what comic book movie dreams were made of. Superman is a comic book hero I despise, it's because of his death and resurrection that comic books suck balls to this day, the moment you bring someone back, it kills having new character take over or anything like that, I will forever hate superman for that, but yeah, to re-cast the role in a huge movie when you had the best person playing it for 3 movies kind of stings, then they go out and cast a WW that is skinny and yeah she is a bad ass in real life being in the Israeli army and being hot, but unless she does squats like a mad woman, that's another idealistic WW that women are going to whine about.

In any case, I enjoy Arrow and I am glad it's the only solid comic book adapted tv show on right now, it's better than Smallville ever could be, the teenage angst and powers of the week bit were so damn tiresome.
You "despise" a superhero because of your dislike of the impact it had on other comic books? Weird, especially when you consider that the superhero you dislike because of its impact on other comic books is the reason why there are other comic books.

Old
12-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
You "despise" a superhero because of your dislike of the impact it had on other comic books? Weird, especially when you consider that the superhero you dislike because of its impact on other comic books is the reason why there are other comic books.
Superman dies, suddenly, the comic book landscape changes...people have to be creative again to make another iconic character,etc. Oh but wait...Superman is back! Now all sorts of characters are back and it's the same old over and over again with constant retreads about those characters and new characters get put on the back burner or are forgotten altogether. I have been a comic book fan/collector/reader since the early 80's, I'll never not be one.

I will forever love the CR movies for Superman.

Old
12-11-2013, 09:51 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Also, about RDJ - Maybe they were skeptical given his past, but he regained enough respect with the few movies he did prior to being cast as Stark. But he did 1 great Iron Man movie, turned in a solid performance in Avengers and then followed it up with two very very bad Iron Man movies in part 2 and 3.

If that's the best Marvel has to offer, it's not all that great. They have the monopoly in the comic book movies because they have solid franchises that are promoted well.

I mean if DC had any brains, they would do a better job casting and make a few R rated movies for their franchises and go from there.

Batman is finally resurrected properly with 3 Bale/Nolan films and then they recast with Affleck in a Batman vs Superman movie when the Superman movie wasn't even all that good to begin with? Superman's best scenes were without Clark Kent in them, which is hilarious to me. I have no problem with Affleck, again, it's about the timing of it all, you make a HUGE movie like this and you go with a new character when another one is back in his 2nd time as Superman? Really? That's just a horrible idea. They better have some great writers for this one and make it air tight for script, the actors are fine, the script will need to be on point.

It would also be great to go with a Nightwing movie, move away from re-doing batman over and over,if that's all you can do with your franchises, you are an epic fail, imo.

Flash - Please?

Etc...

You call DC's 'brains' into question, yet, you your brain doesn't know that WB is behind DC movies, not DC. But keep calling other people's intelligence into question...

You don't like the Affleck casting because he would be appearing in the film with Cavill's Superman? What kind of ridiculous reasoning is this? I couldn't think of a better way to actually introduce the new Batman.

It is still too soon for a new solo Batman film and a Justice League film, so a Superman and Batman film is a great idea from WB. This way, Superman will be an experienced superhero rather than the inexperienced Superman in MOS, and Affleck will not have the pressure carrying a Batman film only three years after Nolan's last Batman film.

As for your comments about Man of Steel, you are entitled to your opinion. Yet, while the film wasn't a massive critical success, it was undeniably still, a successful film overall. Plus it accomplished it's goal of modernizing and humanizing Superman for this new generation.

You believe Superman wasn't part of the best scenes from the film, and to that I say: "SHOCKING!" An admitted Superman-hater didn't like Superman scenes in MOS, colour me so very surprised. Nevertheless, I believe that the best scenes from The Dark Knight did not involved Batman, so what? It means nothing, it doesnt make it any less of a great film.

Other than that, I do agree that this film needs better writing. I am in love with the ideas Goyer and Snyder had for MOS, but the execution was average at times. For example, I LOVED the destruction of Metropolis, it was the logical outcome of two aliens fighting each other. However, I would have liked to see Superman trying to take the battle in a less populated area but failing to do so, or seeing horror in his face while battling this alien maniac who happens to be killing thousands of people, etc..

All that to say, I hope they better execute the ideas in this film.

Old
12-11-2013, 09:54 PM
BlackStar

Quote:
Superman dies, suddenly, the comic book landscape changes...people have to be creative again to make another iconic character,etc. Oh but wait...Superman is back! Now all sorts of characters are back and it's the same old over and over again with constant retreads about those characters and new characters get put on the back burner or are forgotten altogether. I have been a comic book fan/collector/reader since the early 80's, I'll never not be one.

I will forever love the CR movies for Superman.
Fair enough, but what does that have to do with Superman? Nothing wrong with disliking a superhero, but this doesn't have anything to do with Superman, but the writers.

I cannot stand Frank Miller because that Government tool he disguised as "Superman" in 'The Dark Knight Returns', I don't dislike Batman for it.

Old
12-11-2013, 11:17 PM
David71

A really really good mid season finale tonight. The flash is born. Revenge on slades mind. Ollies new mask

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:23 PM
BayStreetBullies*

Just for the record, Superman didn't actually die. His heart rate was lowered to the point of near death.

On topic, great episode of Arrow. Deathstroke is born! Can't wait to see how The Flash pans out in the show. It was a pleasant surprise to see Colin O'Donnell make an appearance as Tommy Merlyn in Oliver's hallucination. And for those unfamiliar with Cyrus Gold, he is in fact Solomon Grundy.

BayStreetBullies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 11:51 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Just for the record, Superman didn't actually die. His heart rate was lowered to the point of near death.

On topic, great episode of Arrow. Deathstroke is born! Can't wait to see how The Flash pans out in the show. It was a pleasant surprise to see Colin O'Donnell make an appearance as Tommy Merlyn in Oliver's hallucination. And for those unfamiliar with Cyrus Gold, he is in fact Solomon Grundy.
I'm just going to avoid that superman fan boys replies and reply to this...

The heart rate thing, that was the "excuse" for him not being dead. To bring him back.

$$$

Old
12-12-2013, 12:16 AM
BayStreetBullies*

Quote:
I'm just going to avoid that superman fan boys replies and reply to this...

The heart rate thing, that was the "excuse" for him not being dead. To bring him back.

$$$

Yeah, I think that's called a plot device. It's this crazy thing that either maintains or moves the plot forward. All those crackheads who write the stories use it, go figure eh?

Old
12-12-2013, 01:08 AM
BlackStar

Quote:
Yeah, I think that's called a plot device. It's this crazy thing that either maintains or moves the plot forward. All those crackheads who write the stories use it, go figure eh?
Like I say, Fanboy>>>Idiot.

Old
12-12-2013, 02:03 AM
SkiesOfArcadia
Duckjet's Chairman

Quote:

R-rated movies mean lesser profits, just to justify what could potentially be a higher quality blockbuster film. Why would DC do this...? (especially considering how crazy it costs to produce a film to begin with).

You do realize Superman Returns isn't a reboot?

What does Nolan's films have to do with Superman vs. Batman? Nolan had a story in mind in which there was a beginning, middle, and an end (Bruce's catharsis). Moreover, he created a universe in which there were NO other superheroes. Just because you can link TDKT and MOS as a viable Batman doesn't mean that it fits from the standpoint of the story. Just leave the damn trilogy alone. Additionally, Nolan's Batman still missed some facets of Batman that lend itself well to another interpretation (hyperintelligence and detective to name a few).

If you had bothered to do some research, you'd have seen that Snyder and Goyer are creating a universe where Superman's arrival is the start of other heroes investigating him. The masked heroes are essentially legends at this point, until people see and hear about Superman that they take an interest in other metahumans. As for it being a horrible idea, we won't know until we see something. For comparison, people also said that it was impossible/bad idea/dumb to do an Avengers film and look what happened. Fanboys don't know jack **** about anything.

Quote:

Flash - Please?

Etc...

That makes no sense to assume that reboots = automatic fail. Certain films accomplished different things. Donner and Singer's film tried to accomplish something, and Snyder's film is doing something else. Also, Nightwing cannot carry his own movie in the same way that B-list and A-list comic book heroes can, otherwise you're just wasting money from a business standpoint.

I get that Marvel did a job well done, but that doesn't mean their plan is not without fault. Marvel's way isn't the ONLY way.

SkiesOfArcadia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Once they got him out of school the show started to grow more, though the Lana Lang thing stalled things for far too long. The last two seasons, especially the last one, capped it off really nicely. They did a decent job of introducing the Super Friends and some villains plus the best Lois Lane on tv or movies (after Margot Kidder) in Erica Durance. The final scene alone made me feel the ride was worth it.

Quote:
Batman is finally resurrected properly with 3 Bale/Nolan films and then they recast with Affleck in a Batman vs Superman movie when the Superman movie wasn't even all that good to begin with?
Nolan's films were more about Bruce Wayne than Batman. After Begins, I was disappointed in the way he was treated. Too stupid, weak and not enough gadgets, most importantly NO GRAPPLING HOOK!

On topic, good episode though some parts felt a little jumpy, as if they took short cuts in moving along. I thought we weren't going to see The Flash's origin until the pilot of his own show yet I think we just did? Or are they going to just leave him lying there until that airs? Good that they finally put a mask on Ollie, but really, is that supposed to cover his identity much? Eye color changing contacts would be more helpful maybe, should he ever get face to face with someone that knows him. I can already imagine a scene at some costume/masquerade party where Laurel realizes Oliver is Arrow.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 10:21 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
Why?

I have no idea what you people are talking about.

Why does Slade hate Oli?

Old
12-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFunnyWobbl View Post
I have no idea what you people are talking about.

Why does Slade hate Oli?
Death of a woman they both loved, which I am sure Slade blames Oliver for, as well as other issues, don't forget the mask with the hole in the eye, I am guessing in a flash back you will see the battle between the two and how they soured so quickly.

Old
12-12-2013, 10:31 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

I wonder how long are they going to keep doing that flashback thing? 5 years/seasons?

Old
12-13-2013, 01:31 AM
David71

hopefully barry allen uses his "superpowers" for this season and maybe get with felicity. they make a cute decent couple. nerds though.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2013, 01:45 AM
korqeldroma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
I wonder how long are they going to keep doing that flashback thing? 5 years/seasons?
If Cyborg gets tied into fixing the Japanese sub which gets Ollie off that island, I'm done with this show.

korqeldroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2013, 05:23 AM
Krampus
Call me Nils

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
hopefully barry allen uses his "superpowers" for this season and maybe get with felicity. they make a cute decent couple. nerds though.
Well, Flash is supposed to get his own pilot in late 2014, so it's unlikely you'll see much more of him, if at all.

12-13-2013, 06:55 AM
MrFunnyWobbl
Why?

Wasn't oli's fault Shado died. It was shado's dumb ass fault for sitting there waiting to get shot instead of kicking ass.

Old
12-13-2013, 07:06 AM
BayStreetBullies*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFunnyWobbl View Post
Wasn't oli's fault Shado died. It was shado's dumb ass fault for sitting there waiting to get shot instead of kicking ass.
I don't think it was her fault they were outnumbered and outgunned.

Old
12-13-2013, 08:39 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
I don't think it was her fault they were outnumbered and outgunned.
Yes it was. It's always the women's fault. Pay attention to what the cool kids are saying on the hit tv show's threads on this site.