*OFFICIAL* Plymouth Whalers 2012-2013 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2013, 07:18 PM
WhalerBlue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzey View Post
people, you sound like you're writing your team off already. Actually I hope your right, but with all fairness it's not going to be easy for either team. It will go down to... if OS can stay out of the box!! If not the will get killed by Plymouth's deadly power play. Also OS can't seem to win a face off against Plymouth, this could hurt them too.

But if OS stays disciplined and plays hungry (they don't always play hungry for some reason, they wait till they're in a situation) ... they have a good chance to move on to the next round.
The problem potentially for us is that we could have Wilson, Hartman, Uvira, Sills (forwards) and Curcuruto (defense) as scratches. That leaves us with no additional forwards to insert into the lineup. That leaves us Jones (defense) that could be inserted into the lineup. Malysa played forward during the WJC, so that could lessen the blow. I am not into panic mode yet, but if Owen Sound wins on Friday then I may be more than concerned with our chances. You have to consider that we have not beaten Binnington on too many occasions this series. He has been the best player on the team as far as I am concerned. Four of the five players I mention as possible scratches are big contributors to this team. Sills being the only one that has been scratched during the playoffs and latter part of the year. I am of the opinion that these injuries are not the result of Owen Sound physical play as much as they are injuries from competing hard. Wilson being the only exception. The play has been clean with a couple of minor exceptions, but be realistic, sometimes at the speeds that things happen we may get a different perspective on certain hits and such. It has been a hard fought series and each game has had its own twists and turns. Of course I want Plymouth to win, but if we are down three offensive contributors are chances are not as good because the depth we had is gone. If we get a penalty, then our best players are now getting double shifted. We employ four forwards on our 5 on 3 PP and use the best three offensive forwards on our 5 on 4 PP. Can our forwards play on the north side of 30 minutes a game and be productive? If it plays out in the worst case scenario, then we will find out. Lets hope for the best and see what happens.

Old
04-12-2013, 08:32 AM
bidzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerBlue View Post
The problem potentially for us is that we could have Wilson, Hartman, Uvira, Sills (forwards) and Curcuruto (defense) as scratches. That leaves us with no additional forwards to insert into the lineup. That leaves us Jones (defense) that could be inserted into the lineup. Malysa played forward during the WJC, so that could lessen the blow. I am not into panic mode yet, but if Owen Sound wins on Friday then I may be more than concerned with our chances. You have to consider that we have not beaten Binnington on too many occasions this series. He has been the best player on the team as far as I am concerned. Four of the five players I mention as possible scratches are big contributors to this team. Sills being the only one that has been scratched during the playoffs and latter part of the year. I am of the opinion that these injuries are not the result of Owen Sound physical play as much as they are injuries from competing hard. Wilson being the only exception. The play has been clean with a couple of minor exceptions, but be realistic, sometimes at the speeds that things happen we may get a different perspective on certain hits and such. It has been a hard fought series and each game has had its own twists and turns. Of course I want Plymouth to win, but if we are down three offensive contributors are chances are not as good because the depth we had is gone. If we get a penalty, then our best players are now getting double shifted. We employ four forwards on our 5 on 3 PP and use the best three offensive forwards on our 5 on 4 PP. Can our forwards play on the north side of 30 minutes a game and be productive? If it plays out in the worst case scenario, then we will find out. Lets hope for the best and see what happens.
the present roster did prove that a 4-0 lead is still not enough as they almost came back, and could've easily tied the game.

Old
04-12-2013, 09:29 AM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
the present roster did prove that a 4-0 lead is still not enough as they almost came back, and could've easily tied the game.
True. But you can't count on comebacks happening every game.. I like Plymouth' chances a whole lot more with a healthy line up. In 8 hours we get to see who is scratched. Hopefully it is not as bad as we fear it may be.

Old
04-12-2013, 10:43 AM
gowhalers

I am hearing Wilson may be back but no Hartman. Wrist cut was pretty serious, he was lucky.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowhalers View Post
I am hearing Wilson may be back but no Hartman. Wrist cut was pretty serious, he was lucky.
Getting Wilson back would be huge. Hopefully Mistele will have gotten the cob webs worked out after his six game layoff, too. Uvira and Curcuruto are still unknowns.

I am interested to see who plays goal tonight. I am still expecting Ned in there, but I have been wrong before.

One of the key elements to winning a title is getting lucky with injuries, and so far Plymouth is coming up empty in that area during this series. Hopefully this turns around.

Old
04-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Great game by Plymouth tonight -- their best of the playoffs so far. They took control right from the start, and jumped to an early lead. Ned gets his first OHL post season shutout, although he wasn't very busy most of the game. Binnington was pulled, but this loss wasn't his fault. He could have sued for lack of support, as the Whalers could have easily had several more goals.

Expect MacDermid to get a multiple game suspension for his hit on Wilson. It was a nasty hit from behind into the boards that could have caused serious injury. Fortunately Wilson was okay -- he just returned from a head injury.

Old
04-12-2013, 09:35 PM
bidzey

15 penalties for OS tonight!! good job boys, staying out of the box!!!

Old
04-12-2013, 10:18 PM
WhalerBlue

Quote:

15 penalties for OS tonight!! good job boys, staying out of the box!!!
Very undisciplined penalties. The Attack was in trouble 2 minutes in and could not clear the zone. Because of that it went down hill quickly. I would expect that the MacDermid incident will be dealt with tomorrow. We may not know total games, but he probably can't escape a suspension. Have to give to Coach Ireland credit for putting out his troublemakers at the end of the game trying to stir up some stuff. Nearly got big trouble on the check to the head call. A little more contact there and that would be looked at. If the Whalers really pushed the issue, they could have scored 3 or 4 more. After Binnington got the hook, the Whalers did not force the issue like they did early on. Two of our scratches tonight are done for the year injury wise. Hopefully we can wrap this up on Sunday.

Old
04-12-2013, 10:34 PM
bidzey

Quote:
Very undisciplined penalties. The Attack was in trouble 2 minutes in and could not clear the zone. Because of that it went down hill quickly. I would expect that the MacDermid incident will be dealt with tomorrow. We may not know total games, but he probably can't escape a suspension. Have to give to Coach Ireland credit for putting out his troublemakers at the end of the game trying to stir up some stuff. Nearly got big trouble on the check to the head call. A little more contact there and that would be looked at. If the Whalers really pushed the issue, they could have scored 3 or 4 more. After Binnington got the hook, the Whalers did not force the issue like they did early on. Two of our scratches tonight are done for the year injury wise. Hopefully we can wrap this up on Sunday.
after tonight things don't look too good, I'm glad that buddy is OK as that couldv'e been a lot worse. As for MacDermid, not to bash the guy or anything, but it won't effect the team that much. I like that rookie defensemen #3 Annecchiarico I think is his name... it might turn out better actually. We didn't see him yet in the playoffs.

Old
04-13-2013, 01:10 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
For fans of the Whalers this was one of those nights. From the warm-ups things just felt right. Even the zamboni drivers were feeling it. Noesen scored quickly in the 1st, OS penalties began to rain and it was 3-0 by the 2nd! The 3rd goal was such a relief and everybody knew it was over. The goals were thrilling! I love Mitchell Heard! Still had to stay sharp though. Play after play our D and support simply shut out the Attack. Amazing effort through all 3 periods.

One note is that in the 2nd, after the game misconduct, the vibe settled down and was very similar to the last games in the series. Back and forth, excellent hockey, not many chances but skillful attempts by both sides.

I can't believe how tough Wilson is, from punches, checks from behind, etc. he pushed through till the end. A shutout for Ned! Man this goes to show about hockey- it's a rubber puck with a mind of its own. You can't control the game. You let the puck come to you. The Whales are rolling with the punches and you have to feel confident about game 6.

Old
04-13-2013, 09:24 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Two of our scratches tonight are done for the year injury wise.
Which two of Hartman, Curcuruto and Sills?

Old
04-13-2013, 09:46 AM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
Which two of Hartman, Curcuruto and Sills?
Hartman and Curcuruto.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:22 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Hartman and Curcuruto.
Thanks. That was what I was afraid of. While the absence of both players will hurt, I think Curcuruto will be missed more due to his offensive play on the blue line. Carrick is the only other defenseman with similar offensive skills.

Hopefully Plymouth can end this series this afternoon. If this goes to a Game 7, anything can happen. Let's not have a repeat of Round 2 from last year when the Whalers went into Kitchener with a 3-2 series lead and lost the series.

Old
04-14-2013, 05:53 PM
WhalerBlue

Whalers win! London it is. Look for 2 mid week games in Plymouth.

Old
04-14-2013, 06:07 PM
attackfan71

congrats Plymouth and good luck against london

Old
04-14-2013, 06:10 PM
HLLYWD99

Tip of the cap to the Whalers they were the better team.

Old
04-14-2013, 06:10 PM
bidzey

good series, hat's off to the whalers... i always cheer for the team that beats mine, so go get London

Old
04-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Whew!

I couldn't get the radio broadcast, so could only follow the game via score updates on an Android app. Can anyone who watched or listened to the game post a recap of the game? Did the defense play well, or was Nedeljkovic the reason for only one OS goal? The Whalers jumped to an early lead -- did OS shut them down after that, or did Plymouth just play ultra conservative? Did we get out of the game without any more injuries?

Looking forward to meeting London in the next round. It should be a good series.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:02 PM
bidzey

Quote:
Whew!

I couldn't get the radio broadcast, so could only follow the game via score updates on an Android app. Can anyone who watched or listened to the game post a recap of the game? Did the defense play well, or was Nedeljkovic the reason for only one OS goal? The Whalers jumped to an early lead -- did OS shut them down after that, or did Plymouth just play ultra conservative? Did we get out of the game without any more injuries?

Looking forward to meeting London in the next round. It should be a good series.
it was a quick goal to start the game, then 2-0 after the first, the game was pretty even after that. The goalies were the story in this game. The whalers didn't dominate in the second and third but everybody on the Whalers did their job and took care of their man. That's why is was a low scoring affair. The Whalers shut down Catanacci, Smith, Brace, and Gaverus and that's why they won the game, that's why they won the series.

I could give you the recording of the whole game but that would not only be illegal, I would have to upload gigs of data and you download gigs of data.

Old
04-14-2013, 08:08 PM
massey

Quote:
Whew!

Go get them Plymouth.We are cheering for you guys for sure

Old
04-14-2013, 08:30 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
it was a quick goal to start the game, then 2-0 after the first, the game was pretty even after that. The goalies were the story in this game. The whalers didn't dominate in the second and third but everybody on the Whalers did their job and took care of their man. That's why is was a low scoring affair. The Whalers shut down Catanacci, Smith, Brace, and Gaverus and that's why they won the game, that's why they won the series.

I could give you the recording of the whole game but that would not only be illegal, I would have to upload gigs of data and you download gigs of data.
Thanks for the recap. I appreciate the thought on the broadcast, but I would not want to ask anyone to do anything illegal, even if it was not impractible.

The schedule has been posted for the next round:
Game 1: Friday, April 19 7pm at London
Game 2: Sunday, April 21 2pm at London
Game 3: Tuesday, April 23 7pm at Plymouth
Game 4: Wednesday, April 24 7pm at Plymouth
Game 5: Friday, April 26 7:30pm at London
Game 6: Sunday, April 28 2pm at Plymouth
Game 7: Monday, April 29 7pm at London

Old
04-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Sec108

Get london Whalers, hand em their heads.

looking foward to another good summer like I had last year.

Old
04-14-2013, 08:46 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
Congrats to Plymouth, going to be a good series

Old
04-14-2013, 11:59 PM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
I was at the rink when I got the news- Congrats Whalers!

Western Conference finals, this is big. I know at Compuware they now have to remove the ice to put in new logos etc., all for the better. I can promise it will be an even "playing field."

This will be the ultimate test for the Whales, IMO. The best game of the year BY FAR I saw this season was against London, and we lost 0-5! High flying, bone crunching. In my memory I can see guys flying like squirrels, Matrix style, colliding mid-air and flung into outer space. It was some great hockey. I am excited for the rivalry, London fans pack the joint and bring a ton of fun energy.

Helmets off to the Attack. What a team. In the few games I saw I've grown a little attached to OS. Ceci, Catenacci, Hope, Gabriel, Smith, Binnington, Brace, BigRAS, the big man Zweep, and especially your Captain Keevin Cutting. All the best to the 2012-2013 Attack and your future.

Old
04-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Cfriss216

Just ordered my tickets for game 3 and 4 at Compuware. Can't wait for this series to get going! I'll be watching on livestream on friday and sunday from the Budweiser Gardens. Hopefully the Whalers can silence the 9,000+ standing room only crowd in London. I think whoever wins this series wins the OHL title. No disrespect to Barrie and Belleville, I know the Colts have a strong team, which was evident in the sweep over a good Oshawa team.

Closed Thread