Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Plymouth Whalers 2012-2013 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2013, 05:37 AM
Rally Donkey

vCash: 500
Western Conference Championship

What a series this could be. London has been the favorite all season and won 3 out of 4 against the Whalers, but all four games were before the trade deadline and this is a completely different team. Can Macdonald and Levi limit Domi and Broadhurst? Can Nedeljkovic give Trocheck, Noesen and Meurs enough breathing room to find their rhythm against Maatta and Mermis? Will Stolarz be able to withstand the onslaught of Plymouth's depth?

Old
04-16-2013, 09:00 AM
Cfriss216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally Donkey View Post
What a series this could be. London has been the favorite all season and won 3 out of 4 against the Whalers, but all four games were before the trade deadline and this is a completely different team. Can Macdonald and Levi limit Domi and Broadhurst? Can Nedeljkovic give Trocheck, Noesen and Meurs enough breathing room to find their rhythm against Maatta and Mermis? Will Stolarz be able to withstand the onslaught of Plymouth's depth?
Good points on all accounts...this team has just flat out stepped it up after the world juniors to the end of the season. There is obviously no doubt a guy like Trocheck can help any lineup, and since he has gotten better team mates to play with, you see how his scoring touch increases. But Noeson has also found his game since the first half of the year, and getting Mitchell Heard back was a huge plus for this team. Uvira sure made Vellucci look good with the way he has played since coming over via trade as well. So yeah you can for sure say the trade deadline helped this team out a good deal. But I also think they just found the groove that we were waiting for since that underachieving first half of the season.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:14 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfriss216 View Post
Good points on all accounts...this team has just flat out stepped it up after the world juniors to the end of the season. There is obviously no doubt a guy like Trocheck can help any lineup, and since he has gotten better team mates to play with, you see how his scoring touch increases. But Noeson has also found his game since the first half of the year, and getting Mitchell Heard back was a huge plus for this team. Uvira sure made Vellucci look good with the way he has played since coming over via trade as well. So yeah you can for sure say the trade deadline helped this team out a good deal. But I also think they just found the groove that we were waiting for since that underachieving first half of the season.
Don't forget that Rakell also returned from the NHL, which is when Noesen started to take off on his line. Of course, switching goaltenders was also a major upgrade for the team.

I have no idea who wins the series, but Plymouth should give London all they can handle. Hopefully there will be big crowds at Compuware to support the team.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:23 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

As a Knights fan there is no team in the OHL I respect more than the Plymouth Whalers. From their bench boss right on down. I get my dream match-up this year after waiting a few years. May the best team win.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:44 PM
nelli27
Danny Gallivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
As a Knights fan there is no team in the OHL I respect more than the Plymouth Whalers. From their bench boss right on down. I get my dream match-up this year after waiting a few years. May the best team win.
x 2.

Old
04-16-2013, 05:18 PM
Cfriss216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
Don't forget that Rakell also returned from the NHL, which is when Noesen started to take off on his line. Of course, switching goaltenders was also a major upgrade for the team.

I have no idea who wins the series, but Plymouth should give London all they can handle. Hopefully there will be big crowds at Compuware to support the team.
Yep, forgot about Rakell! I'm sure the Compuware Arena will be packed, I have a friend that went up to the final in 2007 and he said the place was electric.

Old
04-17-2013, 08:18 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfriss216 View Post
Yep, forgot about Rakell! I'm sure the Compuware Arena will be packed, I have a friend that went up to the final in 2007 and he said the place was electric.
I was at all the 2007 playoff games, and the arena was definitely rockin'. That London team Plymouth beat on the way to the title had some great players -- Patrick Kane, Gagner and Kostisyn come to mind. The Whalers countered with James Neal, Jared Boll, Michael Neuvirth, Daniel Ryder, etc.

This time, both teams once again have some great talent on the ice that should make their marks in a few years in the NHL, just like those '07 teams. It should be a terrific series.

Old
04-17-2013, 05:54 PM
Rally Donkey

Coaches' Notes

Great article on the matchup from the coaches' perspectives. http://www.lfpress.com/2013/04/16/lo...nted-forecheck

Old
04-17-2013, 09:05 PM
Cfriss216

That was a good article, I can't wait. Enough talk, is it Friday yet?!

Old
04-19-2013, 06:06 PM
WhalerBlue

Whalers dress 7 defenseman. Curcuruto back into the lineup.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:48 PM
Cfriss216

Great game tonight, Whalers had some key opportunities in the 1st, with Noeson ringing one off the pipe and another Whaler (forgot who it was) missing what looked like an empty net. Connor Carrick played a really good game tonight, his offensive instincts with the puck are solid. Good head/shoulder fakes, and can work his way into space to move the puck. Exciting to watch. Rakell created some chances also. Ned played solid in net, had a few key stops including a very nice outstretched glove save, Stolarz looked good as well, kept very calm.

London's D looked better though, Maata had a key sliding block to stop a pass to an open Trocheck on the back door in the 2nd. I thought Hughes had the best defensive game of the night, he took away space from Trocheck and others throughout the contest and really didn't make a mistake out there. Thought he was really strong on the puck. Harrington as well stepped up in big situations. Knights really get bodies to the front of the net well and look for rebounds. They always have 2 guys circling the net ready to bounce a rebound in. Good job Knights, were in for a dandy in game 2 as well.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:22 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
Carrick looked like a beast out there, skated well, played the body and had good opportunities plus the goal.

Trochek looked really sloppy after he got crushed by Zadorov, for a while I was questioning how he put up so many points. But he rebounded and in the 2nd and 3rd he looked slippery and dangerous. London played a great game to shut him down.

I noiced a lot of non calls and weird calls too. Eslecially on that Harrington stick penalty, wtf? I'd like it if the refs got together and started making the game cleaner for both teams.

Going to be a great series if this stuff keeps up, both teams could have ran away with the game.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:46 PM
bidzey

I herd Plymouth held their weight this game, go get the next one Plymouth!

Old
04-19-2013, 10:34 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Edit

Old
04-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

I listened to the 1st & 3rd periods. Sounded like a great game. London's defense was tough, as expected. Both goalies played solid. If the entire series is like this, it will be a classic. Curcuruto returning was a pleasant surprise, but I was surprised that Vellucci dressed 7 defensemen. We have not seen that at all this season.

I was not listening when London scored the winning goal in the 2nd period. Pete Krupsky said it was a controversial goal that was reviewed. Was the ultimate decision of a goal the correct one?

Old
04-20-2013, 12:00 PM
aresknights

It was a good use of replay.
Elie drove past a sliding defender put the puck to the net, puck got deflected in, about the same time Grif and Ply D were battling and the net came off.
No goal call by ref on a bang bang play.
Went home and caught the replay (video board never showed it aagghh lol)
Puck was in before net dislodeged, no goalie interence.
I never took the time to look for the reviewed goal that was not allowed for Ply. That time video judge agreed with on ice call (again no replay on video board at game- gotta get those ads in I guess)

Should be another good one Sunday

Old
04-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Rubbers29

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
It was a good use of replay.
Elie drove past a sliding defender put the puck to the net, puck got deflected in, about the same time Grif and Ply D were battling and the net came off.
No goal call by ref on a bang bang play.
Went home and caught the replay (video board never showed it aagghh lol)
Puck was in before net dislodeged, no goalie interence.
I never took the time to look for the reviewed goal that was not allowed for Ply. That time video judge agreed with on ice call (again no replay on video board at game- gotta get those ads in I guess)

Should be another good one Sunday
The disallowed goal by Plymouth was the correct call, I beileve it was Noesen that got his glove on a puck overtop of Stolarz, had he missed it, i'd say it had about a 50/50 chance of ending up in the net anyway, lucky break for London, not near as lucky as when plymouth had 5 feet of open net and rung it off the post tho! I thought that was going in for sure, The reviewed London goals was really close, I was surpised at the time that the original call was no goal tho, where I was sitting it seemed like the puck clearly went in before the net got disloged, however I was wearing my Knights coloured glasses and had a few bud in me, when I saw the replay later, it was definately closer than I remembered it, and could see how there was questions on the refs side, the correct call was eventually made though and we're on to game 2!

Old
04-20-2013, 06:18 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
I really wish the video board showed the replays. And that the radio promo guys stopped calling for stupid cheers. 3 minutes left in the period and we take a stupid call or there's a non call? Better start cheering!

I could also go on about how they only have fries and large cups at two places on the 3rd level, and poutine at 1 place, the keiths I like is only at the lounge and on one side of the 3rd level afaik too lol.

Old
04-21-2013, 01:14 AM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:
I listened to the 1st & 3rd periods. Sounded like a great game. London's defense was tough, as expected. Both goalies played solid. If the entire series is like this, it will be a classic. Curcuruto returning was a pleasant surprise, but I was surprised that Vellucci dressed 7 defensemen. We have not seen that at all this season.

I was not listening when London scored the winning goal in the 2nd period. Pete Krupsky said it was a controversial goal that was reviewed. Was the ultimate decision of a goal the correct one?
Yes in corrected a bad call by official. The Whalers cleanly sniped a pair off the iron early on and so far Stolarz is taking up too much net for them...he is big. I suspect the Whale begin trying to go five hole on him now down low around the net.

Old
04-21-2013, 07:16 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbers29 View Post
The reviewed London goals was really close, I was surpised at the time that the original call was no goal tho, where I was sitting it seemed like the puck clearly went in before the net got disloged, however I was wearing my Knights coloured glasses and had a few bud in me, when I saw the replay later, it was definately closer than I remembered it, and could see how there was questions on the refs side, the correct call was eventually made though and we're on to game 2!
I have a Rogers camera right beside me and get to see EVERY replay. The reviewed London goal wasn't even close. Clear goal and I couldn't understand what took them so long to review it. I only needed to see it once. The puck was in the back of the net well before the net moved..

Old
04-21-2013, 10:16 AM
WhalerBlue

Replays or not. Today the Whalers have to score goals. 4 or 5 would be nice. They must match and better London in all aspects today or we come home down by 2 games. No puck luck or whatever in game one has to change to goals today. Plymouth had plenty of chances to put pucks into the net in game one. It didn't happen. Today is their day.

Old
04-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Cfriss216

Holy ****! Wilson completing the Hat Trick to tie it up late! Usually it's London doing that to it's opponents, I'm waiting for the Overtime to start, what a game, Lorentz caughed up the puck on London's first goal. Then a bad clearing attempt on London's 3rd. But you can trace every goal back to a little givaway or blown opportunity to get it to open ice. Bottom line, two great games thus far. Hope Plymouth can tie up this series.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Alright! Great character win for the Whalers today to even up the series. If anyone wants to question why Nedeljkovic is starting in goal (although I doubt anyone will), you have your answer today. He stopped 61 of 64 shots.

This is turning into one hell of a series.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:50 PM
bidzey

good game

beating London in London is good for the confidence

Old
04-21-2013, 04:52 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Alright! Great character win for the Whalers today to even up the series. If anyone wants to question why Nedeljkovic is starting in goal (although I doubt anyone will), you have your answer today. He stopped 61 of 64 shots.

This is turning into one hell of a series.
Nedeljkovic, what he is doing as a 96 born rookie goalie, its INCREDIBLE.

Closed Thread