*OFFICIAL* Plymouth Whalers 2012-2013 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 12:01 PM
RayzorIsDull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
Yes Vellucci has every right to defend his players..and I expect him to. But what I don't expect or respect for that matter is his display that was no less than a clown act. Hunter's action are pathetic when he does it too. It's hard because of emotion in the sport, but I can guarantee you once Vellucci looks back on his actions he will see he displayed his displeasure in the least favourable way. Yes he wants to deflect the issue onto him, but there are less theatrical ways to do it. Nobody can be proud of making a spectacle of themselves like that.
I am willing to give Vellucci the benefit of the doubt to an extent. He seemed to get more animated when the ref was trying to explain himself. I might be making a broad statement here but I don't think the ref was explaining himself the best way and was just making the coach more enraged. I have seen Vellucci get upset a lot but there are times when he calms down, Faist and Ferguson aren't very good at what they do. In fact I believe Spott has criticized Ferguson try publically more than once. Instead of looking strictly at the coaches and why they should just respect the call, how about they try and get better officials? Wouldn't surprise me if those 2 never officiated another game in these playoffs.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:06 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I am willing to give Vellucci the benefit of the doubt to an extent. He seemed to get more animated when the ref was trying to explain himself. I might be making a broad statement here but I don't think the ref was explaining himself the best way and was just making the coach more enraged. I have seen Vellucci get upset a lot but there are times when he calms down, Faist and Ferguson aren't very good at what they do. In fact I believe Spott has criticized Ferguson try publically more than once. Instead of looking strictly at the coaches and why they should just respect the call, how about they try and get better officials? Wouldn't surprise me if those 2 never officiated another game in these playoffs.
Sure Faist and Ferguson are subpar officials..hell I'm sure even they know that, but Vellucci put himself right where they wanted him..and he was ripe for the picking. His reaction was more "you didn't tell me what I wanted hear" than it was "That's not the correct response".

Old
04-24-2013, 12:07 PM
WhalerBlue

If you get a minute look at the Heard hit on Broadhurst. That is borderline being a minor penalty. Broadhurst played it well and they bought it. This is not about total penalties or total PP. This is about bad calls and non calls. I had a good opportunity to look at the tape today and I will stand by my statements that the Carrick and Heard penalties were not warranted. I hope that if we are going to get a major called on Plymouth, that whoever gets the penalty, gets a major worthy open ice hit on somebody. Then everybody will be screaming "why did that guy get smoked like that?". Probably because the officials have made bad calls and some player said the heck with taking what I don't deserve, I am getting my moneys worth right now. I can see this happening tonight if Plymouth goes down a goal early.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:13 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerBlue View Post
If you get a minute look at the Heard hit on Broadhurst. That is borderline being a minor penalty. Broadhurst played it well and they bought it.
I've seen it...numerous times. It was a bushleague play no matter how slight it appears to be. Again..don't put yourself in that position and then squawk about it when the penalty is called. It's like shooting someone and then blaming them for jumping in front of your gun.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:34 PM
aresknights

"This is not about total penalties or total PP. This is about bad calls and non calls. I had a good opportunity to look at the tape today and I will stand by my statements that the Carrick and Heard penalties were not warranted."

Did you notice any calls or non calls hat went against London as you looked over the tape?

Old
04-24-2013, 12:36 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
If you get a minute look at the Heard hit on Broadhurst. That is borderline being a minor penalty. Broadhurst played it well and they bought it. This is not about total penalties or total PP. This is about bad calls and non calls. I had a good opportunity to look at the tape today and I will stand by my statements that the Carrick and Heard penalties were not warranted. I hope that if we are going to get a major called on Plymouth, that whoever gets the penalty, gets a major worthy open ice hit on somebody. Then everybody will be screaming "why did that guy get smoked like that?". Probably because the officials have made bad calls and some player said the heck with taking what I don't deserve, I am getting my moneys worth right now. I can see this happening tonight if Plymouth goes down a goal early.
I am not sure Heard should be suspended it seemed more he brushed him in the back of the head. If he isn't suspended it brings into question how a referee can make a call like that in a 1 goal game with 5 minutes left. I am guessing Heard will get suspended because the refs have taken enough grief and at this time the refs probably need the backing. In reality they should never work another game this year and Heard should get 1 game.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:39 PM
RayzorIsDull

Another call not getting much mention is Trocheck being tripped and Horvat scoring his 2nd SHG of the game. That was pretty clearly a trip that went uncalled that directly led to a goal.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:41 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
I hope that Plymouth comes out tonight and hits everything that moves. These players should let it all hang out and whatever calls go against them, so be it. I will tell you that there were some atrocious weak calls and some of those went against London. Do the Hunter' scare them? Do the Hunter' pay them? I don't know on either count, but the officiating consistency is suspicious at best. Referee #35 has been involved in a ton of suspicious calls, controversial calls and this goes back to the start of the season. Not just with Plymouth, but league wide. They have effected several teams this year. Too bad it ruins playoff hockey.
There you go, the team should let it all hang out and where the chips fall is their destiny. So you admit that there are bad calls both ways. So let it be. When we lost game 2 did we say it was because of bad calls? There certainly were bad calls against us, but we aint singin that song. It goes both ways. Did Velluci pay the refs for Game 2? (see how ridiculous that sounds?)
Ruins playoff hockey!? Oh wow, your missing some good hockey then.
Glad you admit it is league wide, now can we move on and talk hockey and not blame the refs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
However, the Whalers lost because of their defensive play, not the officiating. Giving up two shorthanded goals on the same power play is inexcusable. The team played as poorly in the first period as I have seen all season.
Finally somebody who thinks the losing team should take responsibility and not blame something else.

Look, I'm all for having good officiating but frankly its almost impossible to find. You are going to have to accept that it is a tough job and with two excellent hockey teams trying to get a leg up anyway they can either by clutch grab or whatever they can do, it becomes very hard....if you called ANY hockey game by the letter of the law, every single player would have sat in the box at least once.

If you accept the fact that you are going to get some calls, and some are going to go against you, only then grasshopper can you view the beautiful playoff hockey we are fortunate to watch.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:44 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
What a load of garbage this is. Guy makes a crosschecking motion and his fist/forearm connects with a guys head after the puck has gone in. Sorry, but in a leauge that is suspending guys 10 games for what looks to be a good hit with a shoulder, but because they made contact with head, you are going to see them call penalties when it involves head shots.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:08 PM
CBJWhaler

My thoughts after last night;

1. Ref's where bad (not even worth complaining about)
2. Ply didn't show up until the 2nd period and that is why we lost the game
3. If we play all 60 like we did for about 15 min in the third we are a very tough team to beat

I was at the game and re-watched it when I got home. The Heard hit was a Bush league play even if you are frustrated you never go after a players head.

A bright note though if I am London I have to think now that even though they won that no lead is safe.

Also we are all not saint I do recall London fan complaining about Carroll last game on their board so people who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:22 PM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
What a load of garbage this is. Guy makes a crosschecking motion and his fist/forearm connects with a guys head after the puck has gone in. Sorry, but in a leauge that is suspending guys 10 games for what looks to be a good hit with a shoulder, but because they made contact with head, you are going to see them call penalties when it involves head shots.
You just out looking for a fight? I was there and have the damn tape Einstein. It was a minor at best. The only thing you got right is the fact it was after the puck was in. Broadhurst ain't hurt and wasn't hurt last night, but the next thing you will tell me is that he needs brain surgery. Why don't you step off and read your beat writers story and the story on Yahoo.ca. There account is much closer to mine than it is yours. Why? Because the were there also and they got to see the replays several times. The penalty to Carrick resulted in a goal that tied.. The Whalers had the momentum and had that for all of the 3rd up to that point. That was a bad call that changed the game and the momentum. What happened in the 1st is old news when we take a 4-3 lead. Faist and Ferguson screwed the pooch last night on several calls-both ways. Their incompetent input of bad calls had a result in the outcome of that game. How can it not?

Old
04-24-2013, 01:23 PM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
Another call not getting much mention is Trocheck being tripped and Horvat scoring his 2nd SHG of the game. That was pretty clearly a trip that went uncalled that directly led to a goal.
That was goal number three. Thanks for pointing that out. Ray Charles could see that in his current state.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:53 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
You just out looking for a fight? I was there and have the damn tape Einstein. It was a minor at best. The only thing you got right is the fact it was after the puck was in. Broadhurst ain't hurt and wasn't hurt last night, but the next thing you will tell me is that he needs brain surgery. Why don't you step off and read your beat writers story and the story on Yahoo.ca. There account is much closer to mine than it is yours. Why? Because the were there also and they got to see the replays several times. The penalty to Carrick resulted in a goal that tied.. The Whalers had the momentum and had that for all of the 3rd up to that point. That was a bad call that changed the game and the momentum. What happened in the 1st is old news when we take a 4-3 lead. Faist and Ferguson screwed the pooch last night on several calls-both ways. Their incompetent input of bad calls had a result in the outcome of that game. How can it not?
I'll play along. Plymouth won game 2 on a marginal call that lead to the game winning goal.

Old
04-24-2013, 01:57 PM
CBJWhaler

Hartman back in the lineup tonight for Plymouth. Now we will wait and see if Heard is suspended for the game.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJWhaler View Post

I was at the game and re-watched it when I got home. The Heard hit was a Bush league play even if you are frustrated you never go after a players head.

Also we are all not saint I do recall London fan complaining about Carroll last game on their board so people who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
I couldn't agree with you more in that the refs are awful for both sides, so why complain about it? I haven't seen any London fans attributing our loss to the refs, not sure why some Whaler fans have to do it.

Quote:
Looking for a fight. Thats a good one. Its not about fighting, its not even really about arguing. Im no Einstein but im not an idiot that can't decipher a simple hockey penalty. Since when do refs get to watch replay to make a penalty call? They don't. If the ref saw it as a head check, it is a head check and that is how it is called.
You seem to be alone in thinking that it wasn't a penalty (although strangely you have altered your stance and said it is a minor at best.) Maybe you should 'step off' and reasses your position before running your mouth. Take note, even one of your own fans agrees it was bush leauge.

I'll try one more time for those in the back, not paying attention....the refs are awful. They will make bad calls for both teams. In the end it will probably end up even regarding bad calls both ways. One might call it a wash.
So instead of crying about penalties and the refs cost you the game, how bout hoping your team plays better so that they are at the mercy of the refs?

If Plymouth wins, I will give them credit as a hockey team for beating us and being the better team. I won't complain that the refs lost it for us. But maybe Im just a guy that doesn't work as a reporter or yahoo or has the tape at home

Old
04-24-2013, 02:34 PM
Cfriss216

Quote:
I'll play along. Plymouth won game 2 on a marginal call that lead to the game winning goal.
Marginal call or no marginal call. London also had 5 more power plays than plymouth did, 3 of em in OT if I remember correctly. London lost because they didn't capitalize.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:40 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfriss216 View Post
Marginal call or no marginal call. London also had 5 more power plays than plymouth did, 3 of em in OT if I remember correctly. London lost because they didn't capitalize.
BINGO!!! We have a winner.

Sounds pretty foolish when you blame a loss on officiating doesn't it?

Plymouth had 4 more PP's than London in game 1. See the trend here?

Old
04-24-2013, 02:45 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJWhaler View Post
Hartman back in the lineup tonight for Plymouth. Now we will wait and see if Heard is suspended for the game.
That is good news. He can at least fill Heard's spot if he gets suspended. If Heard plays, expect Alex Peters to be a scratch -- no more 7th defenseman.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Rubbers29

Quote:
That was a trip but not a penalty, made contact with the puck before Trochek was tripped up by the stick

OHL RULE BOOK
57.1 Tripping A player shall not place the stick, knee, foot, arm, hand or
elbow in such a manner that causes his opponent to trip or fall.
Accidental trips which occur simultaneously with a completed play
will not be penalized. Accidental trips occurring simultaneously with or
after a stoppage of play will not be penalized.
If, in the opinion of the Referee, a player makes contact with the
puck first and subsequently trips the opponent in so doing, no penalty
shall be assessed.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
BINGO!!! We have a winner.

Sounds pretty foolish when you blame a loss on officiating doesn't it?

Plymouth had 4 more PP's than London in game 1. See the trend here?
lmao...yes, well..lets see if it catches on.

Old
04-24-2013, 03:02 PM
RayzorIsDull

For the first one [the scramble play] he went for the replay and then he said he was going to blow his whistle. Well, that's not even supposed to go to a replay if that's what he was going to call on the ice. That's not what he called. He changed his mind in the middle of it. That's the incompetency. You got to know the rules and he didn't know the rules. It was us against them from that point on."

So refs are admitting they change their mind as they see fit. This should be good.

Old
04-24-2013, 03:09 PM
aresknights

I was really impressed with the Whaler announcers and the quality of the feed. Hopefully sooner than later we get the US squads on the Action Pak. Those guys were as down the middle and professional as Ive heard all year

Old
04-24-2013, 03:10 PM
CBJWhaler

Quote:
For the first one [the scramble play] he went for the replay and then he said he was going to blow his whistle. Well, that's not even supposed to go to a replay if that's what he was going to call on the ice. That's not what he called. He changed his mind in the middle of it. That's the incompetency. You got to know the rules and he didn't know the rules. It was us against them from that point on."

So refs are admitting they change their mind as they see fit. This should be good.
OntarioHockeyLeague ‏@OHLHockey
#OHL Disciplinary Action: Whalers Head Coach Mike Vellucci fined $7500 for unprofessional and inappropriate comments following Game 3 vs LDN

OntarioHockeyLeague ‏@OHLHockey
#OHL Disciplinary Action: Whalers Mitchell Heard suspended for Game 4 vs LDN based on preliminary review of check to head penalty in Game 3

Old
04-24-2013, 03:11 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbers29 View Post
That was a trip but not a penalty, made contact with the puck before Trochek was tripped up by the stick

OHL RULE BOOK
57.1 Tripping A player shall not place the stick, knee, foot, arm, hand or
elbow in such a manner that causes his opponent to trip or fall.
Accidental trips which occur simultaneously with a completed play
will not be penalized. Accidental trips occurring simultaneously with or
after a stoppage of play will not be penalized.
If, in the opinion of the Referee, a player makes contact with the
puck first and subsequently trips the opponent in so doing, no penalty
shall be assessed.
That's an opinion based call doesn't mean it was the correct one especially since it directly led to a scoring opportunity. Accidental trips? That's typical bs from the league you can make the case a lot of trip are accidental. Especially the ones where a player falls over a stick and still called by the officials. We all know what your opinion is you don't need to stick up for the officials.

Old
04-24-2013, 03:12 PM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
"This is not about total penalties or total PP. This is about bad calls and non calls. I had a good opportunity to look at the tape today and I will stand by my statements that the Carrick and Heard penalties were not warranted."

Did you notice any calls or non calls hat went against London as you looked over the tape?
Yes.

Closed Thread