*OFFICIAL* Plymouth Whalers 2012-2013 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 03:14 PM
aresknights

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
For the first one [the scramble play] he went for the replay and then he said he was going to blow his whistle. Well, that's not even supposed to go to a replay if that's what he was going to call on the ice. That's not what he called. He changed his mind in the middle of it. That's the incompetency. You got to know the rules and he didn't know the rules. It was us against them from that point on."

So refs are admitting they change their mind as they see fit. This should be good.
Is that quote from Vellucci? Taken 5 minutes after a frustrating loss, with his head about to explode, without benefit of replay, heat of the moment, maybe the ref mis spoke ect......
Id be more impressed and supportive of the arguement if the ref was quoted as saying he messed up, and not the losing coach who feels the refs are biased, unprofessional, mandated to screw over the Whale and in Dales pocket, on a rant, looking to deflect attention from his players actions late (heard, trochek, wilson)

Did they get it right at the end of the day? The review that is. Looked like it to me

Old
04-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Cfriss216

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
I was really impressed with the Whaler announcers and the quality of the feed. Hopefully sooner than later we get the US squads on the Action Pak. Those guys were as down the middle and professional as Ive heard all year
And we hope to get the action pack as a part of some sports package in the states so i can see the games in hd on tv. Instead of having to use ohl livestream for all my ohl games via the internet. Did Rogers tv pick up the Plymouth broadcast or did you watch the game online?

Old
04-24-2013, 03:22 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Is that quote from Vellucci? Taken 5 minutes after a frustrating loss, with his head about to explode, without benefit of replay, heat of the moment, maybe the ref mis spoke ect......
Id be more impressed and supportive of the arguement if the ref was quoted as saying he messed up, and not the losing coach who feels the refs are biased, unprofessional, mandated to screw over the Whale and in Dales pocket, on a rant, looking to deflect attention from his players actions late (heard, trochek, wilson)

Did they get it right at the end of the day? The review that is. Looked like it to me
When have you heard refs make comments after the game? That's probably the smartest thing the OHL does and doesn't let the refs speak after the games because it would only make the referees look worse. If the ref mis spoke then he should be fined and disciplined because he's not fit to referee a conference final game.

Old
04-24-2013, 03:28 PM
aresknights

Per OHL Site...

Toronto, ON - The Ontario Hockey League today announced that the Plymouth Whalers Hockey Club has been fined $7,500.00 as the result of the most unprofessional and inappropriate comments by Coach and General Manager Mike Vellucci following Game 3 of the Rogers OHL Western Conference Final Series between the Plymouth Whalers and the visiting London Knights.

In addition, the League announced that it was reviewing the 5 minute major and game misconduct for checking to the head assessed to player Mitchell Heard of the Plymouth Whalers Hockey Club and that based on a preliminary review, player Mitchell Heard would not be playing in Game 4 of the Rogers OHL Western Conference Final Series scheduled for Wednesday, the 24th of April, 2013.

Old
04-24-2013, 03:39 PM
aresknights

Quote:
When have you heard refs make comments after the game? That's probably the smartest thing the OHL does and doesn't let the refs speak after the games because it would only make the referees look worse. If the ref mis spoke then he should be fined and disciplined because he's not fit to referee a conference final game.
Not sure he did Razor, just threw it out there as a possibilty. I for one would rather the officiating crew get it right than play word games with Vellucci as the source for reasons I gave. He obviously has a personal agenda in this case. But hey, hes probably 100% correct, looking at it unbiasedly, in spite of his vested interest

If it did happen (the i was going to blow the whistle but didnt) I only would ask, was the right call made at the end? Ive seen refs anticipate a penalty, start to raise an arm, see that it wasnt and get reamed by a coach for a no call, when in fact they did the right thing. But the coach was oissed at no call on no penalty? Because he made an improper jesture?

Intersting you only picked those few words from my post to try and make your point while ignoring the fact the correct call ended up being made, no whistle sounded. Maybe Vellucci is exaggerated a bit to make his point? Maybe Vellucci misunderstood or didnt hear correctly cause he was seeing red? I Dont know. Hes the one with a vested interst and something to lose, the refs not so much. But yet hes the credible one in this singular incident? Interesting

Old
04-24-2013, 03:43 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Not sure he did Razor, just threw it out there as a possibilty. I for one would rather the officiating crew get it right than play word games with Vellucci as the source for reasons I gave. He obviously has a personal agenda in this case. But hey, hes probably 100% correct, looking at it unbiasedly, in spite of his vested interest

If it did happen (the i was going to blow the whistle but didnt) I only would ask, was the right call made at the end? Ive seen refs anticipate a penalty, start to raise an arm, see that it wasnt and get reamed by a coach for a no call, when in fact they did the right thing. But the coach was oissed at no call on no penalty? Because he made an improper jesture?

Intersting you only picked those few words from my post to try and make your point while ignoring the fact the correct call ended up being made, no whistle sounded. Maybe Vellucci is exaggerated a bit to make his point? Maybe Vellucci misunderstood or didnt hear correctly cause he was seeing red? I Dont know. Hes the one with a vested interst and something to lose, the refs not so much. But yet hes the credible one in this singular incident? Interesting
Was the correct call made? Did Stolarz push the net off on purpose considering there weren't many players near the post.... I think they made the right call on goal/no goal but never followed through in making another call but that's OHL they fall short when it comes to that.

Old
04-24-2013, 03:52 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Was the correct call made? Did Stolarz push the net off on purpose considering there weren't many players near the post.... I think they made the right call on goal/no goal but never followed through in making another call but that's OHL they fall short when it comes to that.
That wasnt what the review looked at IMO. Ok if its that play Vellucci is upset about, Id have to ask why? The ref clearly saw the net dislodged, as seen on replay. If he was "going to blow the whistle" it wouldnt have worked in Plymouths favour as it would have been done prior to Uviras shot and therefore helping his cause as if he did blow it, plays dead--no shot--no review on goal.
I thought his remarks were directed towards another play myself. I saw the presser after the game and I thought it was earlier in the game. He referenced "after that I told em its us against them, and he meant early in the game

The Plymouth arena crew later came out to "fix" the easily knocked off post. everyone saw that. Maybe its the arena staffs fault?

Its probably happened but I dont recall a goalie knocking a net off its moorings with a cross crease slide.

Again, Im sure many fans feel the refs "missed" calls and made non calls. I see it all the time. I just feel in the game of hockey you get 1000s of chances, as a team to make a difference. The refs, gotta have em or there is no game. Gotta deal with it.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:09 PM
WhalerBlue

Stolarz has been knocking the net off with his back. The guy is only about 7 feet tall. He stands up a little and off it goes. I would understand if this happened once or twice in the whole series but three times in one game... I bet it doesn't happen tonight. Too much exposure now that national and world hockey press has wrote about it. I think that the officials will be keeping a close look at the net when there is big time action in front of it. Wait a minute..shouldn't they be doing right now?

Old
04-24-2013, 04:10 PM
RayzorIsDull

I would like to send a shout out as well to that London fan after the game outside the arena who was looking to pick fights with any Plymouth fan. That grown man looked mighty nice in a Bo Horvat jersey who probably weighed 250 pounds. Keep it classy London fan a good example for everybody to follow.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:15 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
I would like to send a shout out as well to that London fan after the game outside the arena who was looking to pick fights with any Plymouth fan. That grown man looked mighty nice in a Bo Horvat jersey who probably weighed 250 pounds. Keep it classy London fan a good example for everybody to follow.
Shout outs only work if you know for a fact they're gonna read it.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Rubbers29

Quote:
That's an opinion based call doesn't mean it was the correct one especially since it directly led to a scoring opportunity. Accidental trips? That's typical bs from the league you can make the case a lot of trip are accidental. Especially the ones where a player falls over a stick and still called by the officials. We all know what your opinion is you don't need to stick up for the officials.
I am not sticking up for any officials, I am saying they made the right call on that play and sourced it with the OHL rule book. The player made contact with the puck and in the process tripped up the opposing player, thats not a penalty in any league I have ever played or been involved in and it is not a penalty in the OHL. If it's called a penalty then its incorrect.
The refs missed a ton of calls, they have all playoffs! I stated game 2 that Carroll did a terrible job of officiating, I stand by that I also said that they did not cost London the Game, they lost it all on their own. They had chances to put the game away and didn't just like last night, absolutely there was some very marginal calls and so blaintantly missed ones, but both teams lead in the 3rd period, so clearly it was still a close game regardless, teams have to find a way to win despite poor officiating, Plymouth did it sunday, London did it tuesday.

Last edited by Rubbers29: 04-24-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old
04-24-2013, 04:19 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:

Its probably happened but I dont recall a goalie knocking a net off its moorings with a cross crease slide.
All goalies use the post as a "cheat" when pushing off. A properly anchored net should not come off that easily.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:29 PM
BoxerMax

First off, I haven't been able to watch a game in this series or in the London/Kitchener series.

I find it funny that in both series, the coaches of both Kitchener and Plymouth have complained about the ref's yet I have heard very little complaints from London's staff?

Old
04-24-2013, 04:36 PM
BoxerMax

Just watched the highlights, How did Horvat not get a tripping call on London's 3rd goal?

Old
04-24-2013, 04:37 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
Just watched the highlights, How did Horvat not get a tripping call on London's 3rd goal?
Made contact with the puck 1st (correct non-call). That said..I've seen it called more times than not.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:51 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
I was really impressed with the Whaler announcers and the quality of the feed. Hopefully sooner than later we get the US squads on the Action Pak. Those guys were as down the middle and professional as Ive heard all year
I am surprised the video feed was high quality. The video is usually pretty bad when I have seen the replays on our local Comcast cable station. The announcers, Pete Krupsky and Sean Baligian, though, are both very good. Sean and I share a passion for the Montreal Canadiens, so he'll stop by to chat sometimes. He's a really nice guy.

Regarding the officiating, can the two sides just agree to disagree and we move on? Anyone who has watched OHL games for awhile knows the officiating is not consistent -- I think we can all agree on that. I have been attending games for many years, and have seen some real head scratcher calls -- including ones that were due to a lack of understanding of the rules, and not just judgement calls.

Vellucci got off lightly with just a fine. He certainly got his money's worth with his post game comments. Hopefully Heard will only miss one game.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:54 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
Made contact with the puck 1st (correct non-call). That said..I've seen it called more times than not.
My biggest thing with that is I am of the opinion if Trocheck wasn't tripped he could have gotten back in the play to prevent the scoring chance.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:55 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
I am surprised the video feed was high quality. The video is usually pretty bad when I have seen the replays on our local Comcast cable station. The announcers, Pete Krupsky and Sean Baligian, though, are both very good. Sean and I share a passion for the Montreal Canadiens, so he'll stop by to chat sometimes. He's a really nice guy.
It was a pleasure watching the game in HD. I was shocked to be honest. The broadcast crew was good..did a commendable job. Aside from the odd annoying pronunciation of a few names(no where near as bad as some I've heard)...good job.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:57 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
My biggest thing with that is I am of the opinion if Trocheck wasn't tripped he could have gotten back in the play to prevent the scoring chance.
I'd actually be on board with a play like that being an automatic whistle and a face-off. No penalty..but also no clear loss of possession. But that could open a whole new can of worms.(i.e. diving to draw a face-off)

Old
04-24-2013, 05:51 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Regarding the officiating, can the two sides just agree to disagree and we move on? Anyone who has watched OHL games for awhile knows the officiating is not consistent -- I think we can all agree on that.
Well said.

Hopefully its another edge of the seat affair for all those watching, regardless of loyalties. Been some real tense, exciting action.

Old
04-24-2013, 06:01 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post

Regarding the officiating, can the two sides just agree to disagree and we move on? Anyone who has watched OHL games for awhile knows the officiating is not consistent -- I think we can all agree on that. I have been attending games for many years, and have seen some real head scratcher calls -- including ones that were due to a lack of understanding of the rules, and not just judgement calls.

Vellucci got off lightly with just a fine. He certainly got his money's worth with his post game comments. Hopefully Heard will only miss one game.
Wow, well said and ya that only reiterates what ive said in 5 posts now. Officiating is what it is.
Glad Velluci didnt get suspended, only worth a fine.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:20 PM
Cfriss216

London is the better all around team. Our defense is to flatfooted compared to theirs. All of London's players play well in the defensive zone. Stolarz is very good also. Just to bad Plymouth lost game 3, tough uphill climb now.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:40 PM
nelli27
Danny Gallivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfriss216 View Post
London is the better all around team. Our defense is to flatfooted compared to theirs. All of London's players play well in the defensive zone. Stolarz is very good also. Just to bad Plymouth lost game 3, tough uphill climb now.
I still think these teams are evenly-matched. Yes, I think London's defensive game is their forte, and their offence is very opportunistic. However, Plymouth's forwards are like sharks (sorry wrong choice of 'fish')!
IF London wins this series, I would attribute it to Hunter's system. He may be Canada's most inarticulate man, but he's a coaching genius who specializes in shutting down the other team!
That 4th win is going to be tough. Still won't surprise me if this series goes 7.
Ned starts game 5.

Old
04-24-2013, 09:50 PM
Cfriss216

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelli27 View Post
I still think these teams are evenly-matched. Yes, I think London's defensive game is their forte, and their offence is very opportunistic. However, Plymouth's forwards are like sharks (sorry wrong choice of 'fish')!
IF London wins this series, I would attribute it to Hunter's system. He may be Canada's most inarticulate man, but he's a coaching genius who specializes in shutting down the other team!
That 4th win is going to be tough. Still won't surprise me if this series goes 7.
Ned starts game 5.
Yea I wanted to specify that's it's the defensive game that is noticeably in the knights favor. At least the last two games. But that's what gets you over the hump when you face competition that is as solid offensively as Plymouth is.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:57 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Attending both games 3 and 4 I had a few thoughts.

Stolarz has been big for the Knights. To be outshot heavily and grab 2 wins says something. Ned getting pulled last night was odd, but it felt like he could have stopped a few of those goals.

30 penalties Tuesday and only 12 last night, what do you make of that? Seems like both teams got the message to TRY and control themselves and not hurt their chances out of sheer stupidity. I use the word "try" because even then, some of these Junior players cannot contain their emotions! I've realized there is a code between the players that is more important than winning the game. It's strange it has to be that way. They don't have the same discipline as a pro who could be benched for a selfish penalty at a bad time, so penalties rain from the sky.

Whalers shot themselves in the foot with all their antics and penalties both nights. Heard was dumb to get himself suspended a game. Why does Wilson run around like that? He won't be doing it in the NHL. I'd like to see Plymouth play with more class, shut their mouths and win games.

This leads me to coaching. The Whalers have some idea they can swagger around like hot-shots. Do they think they are that much better so get so angry to miss a goal or go down in part of a game? They are allowed to act up and make a scene, that shouldn't be. Players that are that skilled can be hot-dogs also or think they have to prove themselves by being overly physical. London appears to have that much more restraint. Velucci's comments about the refs was lame also, that just feeds the ego of the players and distracts from the real mission of winning the next one.

London has a well built, balanced hockey club. They weather the storm calmly then wait for mistakes to pounce and get their offense going. They had some fluid rushes and exceptional cycling/possession at times also. The Knights are resilient. You think the Whalers have them on the ropes and it's one quick opportunity seized, puck's in the back of our net.

You can't count Plymouth out of it, these games have been too close. They need to keep their attitude professional. Swallow their (false) pride and be smart in everything. Hey now, they can beat London two games and then this series is tied again. The question is who wants it more? Are the Whales ready to call this season quits?

Closed Thread