Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 09:23 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwhiteandGreen View Post
All that makes sense, but if all you're going to get is picks, I'd keep whichever overager is going to give me the best chance in the playoffs (whether offense or defense). How's Jones, and do you think the end of the lockout will change the complexion of things? Did defense just get more important, or could Levi go to Charlotte instead? Last week, I would have said Levi was gonna be dealt. This week, I'm not so sure.
Levi was sent back from the AHL to the Whalers earlier this year, so I cannot imagine that he'd be considered ready for the NHL (I assume you meant Raleigh and not Charlotte), since he wasn't even considered ready for the AHL. I do not think he can be returned to the AHL after being sent back to the OHL, but am not 100% certain of that rule.

The Jones injury looked bad when it happened. He appeared to be in severe pain, and it did look like his knee that he was favoring. I would assume he is done for the season.

With Heard returning, Rakell and Hartman back from the WJC, and Noesen set to return from suspension this weekend, there may be less need for Aleardi, which may make him the OA to be dealt. With the depth on the blue line taking a hit with the Jones injury and Crombeen still being out, this may make the most sense.

We will know for sure before Wednesday's game in Saginaw.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Rally Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
Levi was sent back from the AHL to the Whalers earlier this year, so I cannot imagine that he'd be considered ready for the NHL (I assume you meant Raleigh and not Charlotte), since he wasn't even considered ready for the AHL. I do not think he can be returned to the AHL after being sent back to the OHL, but am not 100% certain of that rule....
No, I meant Charlotte....no way he's ready for the NHL (Raleigh). I read somewhere that he was sent back from the AHL (Charlotte) due in part to the overabundance of NHL guys playing in the AHL because of the lockout. I was thinking that since that tide will roll back out (Faulk, etc), that it might make room for him with the Checkers. Even if Jones is out for a while, If MV wants a top goalie, Levi may still be a part of a deal? I hope not, though. Like I said, I'd love to see Aleardi, him and Mahalak stay together for this last run, but the chances don't look good for that right now.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:22 PM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
You guys were right. Aleardi to Windsor for Lorentz. Sorry to see him go but makes sense with the D situation. Thankful for how much AA has done for this team and wishing him all the best. Welcome to the team Lorentz!

Old
01-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post

Wilson looks pretty much the same this year as last season, and that is not a bad thing. He always hustles. He is not the most skilled player on the team, but has enough talent to contribute offensively.

I have not noticed him playing quite as physical this year -- the body checks seem to be down a little. Noesen has taken over as the guy hitting everything that moves... and it got him a 10 game suspension.

With his size, skill set and work ethic, I think Wilson can eventually be a power forward in the NHL. He still needs some development, though, so I would expect him back in the OHL next season.
Great to hear, thanks for the reply. I also agree on him being with the Whalers next season. I'm not one that wants to rush him. I'd like to see him in training camp and get that "pro" feeling experience. Another year of letting him fill out to that 6'4 frame would do him wonders I believe.

Seems like he has a great work ethic which will benefit him at the pro level in the up-coming years.

Again, thanks for the reply! I'll definitely in the near future be asking more about his game.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Ottomatic

Seems like you might have been able to get more for AA. Lorentz is a 3rd line guy at best - but he's a '93 so I guess he could be a candidate for OA next year. But mostly I think you guys did solid by Aleardi and kept the 20 yr old close to home by dealing him to Windsor and got back what you could get. Spits don't have many 19 yr olds and we wouldn't have traded a younger player for an OA. So Lorentz for Aleardi made enough sense.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Seems like you might have been able to get more for AA. Lorentz is a 3rd line guy at best - but he's a '93 so I guess he could be a candidate for OA next year. But mostly I think you guys did solid by Aleardi and kept the 20 yr old close to home by dealing him to Windsor and got back what you could get. Spits don't have many 19 yr olds and we wouldn't have traded a younger player for an OA. So Lorentz for Aleardi made enough sense.
Considering Plymouth had to deal an OA by Wednesday or just cut someone, it's not a bad deal. As you mentioned, too, I am sure dealing him close to home was part of the consideration. Vellucci is very good about looking out for his players, and Alex really wanted to play closer to home when Belleville traded him to the Whalers a couple of seasons ago.

You will not have him for long, Spits fans, but you got an exciting player for the remainder of this season.

This probably also means that the Jones injury is season-ending, as we suspected.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:57 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Cody Payne was also a scratch and some sources on Twitter say he's also going to Saginaw....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo96 View Post
Yup, the Plymouth and Saginaw deal is done (Thought it fell through a day ago, but sides picked back up and got it done).

Pending league approval Vince Trocheck will be a Whaler.. Main piece going to Saginaw is Zach Bratina.

Go Whalers
Whatta you guys say Whalers fans?

Big news. Any player with "check" in his name is ok in my book. 50 points this season and 85 last...get outta here! We made out like a thief. No offense but Payne and Bratina are the least ferocious players we have/had, and picks I see now is nothing compared to the present high. I'm sure Trots and Hartman already bonded winning US OLYMPIC GOLD and looking forward to that compete level back here in Plymouth.

Go Whalers

Old
01-10-2013, 01:28 AM
GoLeafsGo96

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post

Big news. Any player with "check" in his name is ok in my book. 50 points this season and 85 last...get outta here! We made out like a thief. No offense but Payne and Bratina are the least ferocious players we have/had, and picks I see now is nothing compared to the present high. I'm sure Trots and Hartman already bonded winning US OLYMPIC GOLD and looking forward to that compete level back here in Plymouth.

Go Whalers
Fantastic pick-up. Then factor in Heard is back. Noesen to come back from his suspension. This team has a ton of fire power. Now if Velucci can get some solid team defense consistently we'll be a real threat.

If Galchenyuk ends up in the NHL it'll make taking 1st in the division a lot easier too.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:39 AM
Rally Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo96 View Post
regarding Trocheck trade for Bratina and Payne
How sure are you about this? I don't see any confirmation on either team's web site...they got out the Aleardi news very fast. Is this just a rumour?

Old
01-10-2013, 05:44 AM
aresknights

Deal agreed to after league office closed, and the paperwork to go thru today is my guess.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:57 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post

Go Whalers
I do not mind them dealing Payne or Bratina, and Trocheck is a quality pickup. The team is loaded up front. However, if nothing is done about the goaltending, I still do not think we will do well come playoff time. Last night against Saginaw showed how risky it will be to rely on a 16-year old rookie goalie, and Mahalak certainly is not the answer in net.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:42 AM
gowhalers

Totally agree with the above post. Although this is a great addition to an already loaded forward group, the team's needs have been on defense and goal. In last nights game Ned was hung out to dry by his defensemen. He didn't have a chance. I hope there is another deal today.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:26 AM
gowhalers

interesting to note that if the rumours that Bratina is gone to Saginaw, Plymouth's OHL 1st round draft pick has been traded each year for the last 3. Garrett Meurs in 09 was the last 1st rounder to stick.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:32 AM
GoLeafsGo96

Quote:
How sure are you about this? I don't see any confirmation on either team's web site...they got out the Aleardi news very fast. Is this just a rumour?
Payne wasn't involved. Bratina, 3rd (16') and two conditionals. 2nd (15') and 3rd (15')

Payne was a scratch last night. Might end up getting dealt somewhere else today?

Not sure. With Noesen, Rakell, Meurs, Heard, Wilson, Hartman, Mistele, and now Trocheck.

Maybe they keep him for depth. But, they also have guys like Lorentz and Vanderwiel.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Rally Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowhalers View Post
Totally agree with the above post. Although this is a great addition to an already loaded forward group, the team's needs have been on defense and goal. In last nights game Ned was hung out to dry by his defensemen. He didn't have a chance. I hope there is another deal today.
Even though I disagreed earlier in this thread about defense being a weak spot (I said PLY needed better playmaking and teamwork offensively), I agree that the defense was off last night.

I do love saying, I told you so, though . The midseason trades were all about offense- if you don't factor Jone's injury into the thinking. Seems like MV must be thinking his best defense is a monstrous offense, and they'll put up enough points to overcome any defensive lapses. The Whalers sure do have a lot of firepower. I'm looking forward to seeing them steam roll through the rest of the season.... who's the best defensive forward this year? Wilson? Others?

Old
01-10-2013, 12:14 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Even though I disagreed earlier in this thread about defense being a weak spot (I said PLY needed better playmaking and teamwork offensively), I agree that the defense was off last night.

I do love saying, I told you so, though . The midseason trades were all about offense- if you don't factor Jone's injury into the thinking. Seems like MV must be thinking his best defense is a monstrous offense, and they'll put up enough points to overcome any defensive lapses. The Whalers sure do have a lot of firepower. I'm looking forward to seeing them steam roll through the rest of the season.... who's the best defensive forward this year? Wilson? Others?
If I am a Whaler I would be worried about my def and goaltending,yes u should win alot of 6-5,but in the playoffs when things get tight dont think whale have enough
Your young goalie is pretty good,the 16 year old will be tested

Old
01-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:

Playoff hockey involves a lot more tight games, where shoddy goaltending will cost a team. Needing to score 5+ goals to win every night is the quickest way to exit the playoffs. There will be nights you run into a hot goalie and need to win a 1-0 or 2-1 game, and this team is not capable of doing that.

The Whalers have lost more close games late in the 3rd period or overtime this season than I ever remember in the past, and it always seems to come down to a defensive breakdown or lousy goaltending. Last night against Saginaw was just another example.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

The Whalers made one final trade with Oshawa -- sending defenseman Simon Karlsson to the Generals for forward Sebastian Uvira and a 5th round draft pick.

By my calculation, if Crombeen is still out this leaves Plymouth with only six healthy defensemen. While I didn't think Karlsson played all that well here, it still seems like an odd move, as Uvira's stats are not very impressive, either.

So, no help for the defense or goaltending. Hopefully young Nedeljkovic is up to the task, because if we have to go with Mahalak in net we are doomed.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:47 PM
CBJWhaler

"So, no help for the defense or goaltending. Hopefully young Nedeljkovic is up to the task, because if we have to go with Mahalak in net we are doomed."

Well after watching the defense last night Nedeljkovic or Mahalak won't have a chance.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:12 PM
gowhalers

The Whalers now have essentially 3 top lines. Put any of those top 9 together and it is going to very fun to watch. And like the poster said above, hopefully they will be able to outscore enough teams to make up for the lack of defense and the worries with goal tending. Tough to go all the way playing like that but lets hope they can get it done.

Rumours are that Vellucii went hard after Gibson but couldn't make it happen. Could be true for defense as well. Wouldn't you have loved to be a fly on the wall in some of those offices.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:03 PM
CBJWhaler

Per Bob McKenzie on twitter Rakell, Wilson, Noesen all getting invited to NHL camp.

Old
01-11-2013, 06:50 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJWhaler View Post
Per Bob McKenzie on twitter Rakell, Wilson, Noesen all getting invited to NHL camp.
So, based on the NHL starting regular season play next weekend, I assume these three will be gone this weekend and possibly back next weekend?

Cody Payne must be bummed. During a normal September NHL camp, I would have expected him to be invited, too. The lockout probably cost him a camp visit.

Edit: I just read that camps will open on Sunday, so I wonder if they will be playing at least tonight.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:53 AM
gowhalers

Payne isn't the only one...Meurs, Mahalak, Levi, Carrick, Heard, Trocheck...feel like I am missing someone else. Regardless...sucks for all of them. Good for them to get the invite, but I expect all 3 to be returned.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

True, although I do not think Levi or Heard would be eligible because they have already been sent back to the OHL this year. Once a player is sent back, I do not think they can be called back up a 2nd time that season. Of course, had training camp been held in September, this would not have been an issue for those two, either.

Old
01-12-2013, 07:37 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

First impressions of Trocheck from last night's game -- very good puck handler and skater, exceptional vision and passing ability. He should be a fine addition to the team, and a lot of fun to watch in the 2nd half of the season.

The offense really started to click last night, with lots of good puck movement and crisp passes. It was nice to watch.

Noesen was a scratch, so I assume he left already for NHL camp. Rakell and Wilson both played, though.

Closed Thread