Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2013, 08:50 AM
hockeylegend11

vCash: 500
He was serving the last game of his 10 game suspension
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
First impressions of Trocheck from last night's game -- very good puck handler and skater, exceptional vision and passing ability. He should be a fine addition to the team, and a lot of fun to watch in the 2nd half of the season.

The offense really started to click last night, with lots of good puck movement and crisp passes. It was nice to watch.

Noesen was a scratch, so I assume he left already for NHL camp. Rakell and Wilson both played, though.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:02 AM
CBJWhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
He was serving the last game of his 10 game suspension
No he was actually able to return last night he went to NHL camp a day early. Also Wilson and Rakell will be heading out today for NHL camp. One good thing is Trocheck looked very good last night made a lot of good plays.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:48 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJWhaler View Post
No he was actually able to return last night he went to NHL camp a day early. Also Wilson and Rakell will be heading out today for NHL camp. One good thing is Trocheck looked very good last night made a lot of good plays.
His line was a little frustrated in the 1st and then broke completely loose in the 2nd. Shows what skill can do because he and Hartman are not the biggest young guys. I thought it was odd that he was with Hartman, the two were not paired together in the WJC, but I guess shared enough chemistry as teammates and I loved the combo last night. My guess is that line (with or without Payne) will stick.

Lorentz had a beauty of a breakaway from an area pass but didn't finish. Goalie made a great save there.

Who stood out BY FAR for me was Rakell! Man did he put on a show. Using his size, calm, excellent creativity and puck control. He was a man among boys last night.

Bramford kept it tied through the 2nd, but slowly began to break down. Full credit because those kids played their hearts out.

Fun time to be a Whales fan. I'm going to have to try curb my over-confidence in the team, but they look sick. With Noesen returning, Carrick and Curcuruto playing high energy, Mistele (edit) leading the team in goals, not to mention Heard there holding thing down...

I guess I don't miss Aleardi quite as much.

Last edited by hockeyisforeveryone: 01-12-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old
01-13-2013, 05:50 AM
Rally Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
....Bramford kept it tied through the 2nd, but slowly began to break down. Full credit because those kids played their hearts out...
Who's "Bramford"?

Old
01-13-2013, 07:46 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwhiteandGreen View Post
Who's "Bramford"?
I think it's near Kingsford.

The Whalers played with a short bench last night, as Wilson, Rakell and Noesen were all on their way to NHL camps. Also, with Malysa out, the team was down to five healthy defensemen. Hopefully he will not be out long.

The team played like they were shorthanded for most of the first two periods, but finally woke up in the third to pull out a win they probably didn't deserve. The Erie goalie played well until letting in a very weak goal in OT. Thankfully Hartman and Trocheck both showed up to play -- without them, it would have been a long night.

This was my first opportunity to see Conner McDavid. He looks bigger than the 5'11" he was listed in the program -- we figured he had a growth spurt after he was last officially measured. Anyway, he certainly doesn't play like a 15 year old. It will be interesting to watch him develop over the next couple seasons.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:05 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

Quote:
I think it's near Kingsford.

The Whalers played with a short bench last night, as Wilson, Rakell and Noesen were all on their way to NHL camps. Also, with Malysa out, the team was down to five healthy defensemen. Hopefully he will not be out long.

The team played like they were shorthanded for most of the first two periods, but finally woke up in the third to pull out a win they probably didn't deserve. The Erie goalie played well until letting in a very weak goal in OT. Thankfully Hartman and Trocheck both showed up to play -- without them, it would have been a long night.

This was my first opportunity to see Conner McDavid. He looks bigger than the 5'11" he was listed in the program -- we figured he had a growth spurt after he was last officially measured. Anyway, he certainly doesn't play like a 15 year old. It will be interesting to watch him develop over the next couple seasons.
Haha that is a funny rookie flub, I'm going to sound it out to not make the same mistake: Braammptoonnn...

You caught the last 5 hours of McDavid being 15, as of midnite he is now 16, but yea I would have liked to see him in action. Sounds like he is having a terrific season.

I want to ask about Hartman. Had his 1st OHL hattrick! Do you see him asserting himself more after the 1st half of the season? Did winning gold in the WJC give him a boost in confidence? May be playing with Trocheck has lifted his energy a bit but in the Friday game he just stood out more than the last months to me. I see the possibility of huge #'s from Ryan eventually. What do you expect from RH and when will he be joining the NHL in your opinion?

Old
01-13-2013, 09:16 AM
gowhalers

Nice for the whalers to get that win with such a short bench. Out shooting Erie 44 to 23, shutting down a very good McDavid and totally dominating the third period. Another good goalie performance from the opposing team. Can't wait to say that for the Whalers. Trocheck is fast and will be fun to watch and it was nice to see Hartman play so well on the night they honoured to world junior guys. Meurs deserved the hardest worker player - he was flying and digging hard. Peters is also going to be a good defensemen. Works hard and has that great reach.

I am hearing 3 weeks for Malaysa. Hopefully Crombeen is back on the ice soon or we are going to have some tired defensemen.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:22 AM
gowhalers

Hartman has to be feeling good coming off the juniors. Would bring a lot of confidence being a part of a special team that pulled off the gold. He should keep putting up the numbers but as I have said before - he has to stay out of the box and control those sticking penalties. He is like top 3 in the league in penalties ( was leading at one point before Christmas).

I think you will see a lot of points from the top 3 lines once everyone returns. It is going to be fun!

Old
01-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Hartman does seem to be growing up quickly. I'm sure the WJC experience really helped him, and playing on a line with Trocheck here is a huge step up for him -- Trocheck is the best passer/playmaker we've had here since Seguin left.

I think Hartman's draft stock will be going up quite a bit before the NHL Entry Draft this summer. Before the season, he was projected to be a late 1st or 2nd round pick. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the top 15 if he keeps progressing like he has been lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowhalers View Post
I am hearing 3 weeks for Malaysa. Hopefully Crombeen is back on the ice soon or we are going to have some tired defensemen.
3 weeks? That's not good. It makes trading away Karlsson look even worse in retrospect. As I said earlier, while he was not that impressive so far in Plymouth, Karlsson at least offered some depth for the defense. I do not recall ever seeing any of our current forwards play defense, either (except for playing the point on the power play, which really doesn't count), so I do not think that is even a short term option should Crombeen not be ready to return next weekend.

Last edited by Whalers Fan: 01-13-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old
01-13-2013, 12:30 PM
CBJWhaler

Quote:
Hartman does seem to be growing up quickly. I'm sure the WJC experience really helped him, and playing on a line with Trocheck here is a huge step up for him -- Trocheck is the best passer/playmaker we've had here since Seguin left
Let's not forget Payne is on that line with Trocheck and Hartman the 3 of them together give a nice dynamic with size, speed, and grit. After watching Trocheck in the WJC and the last 2 games with the Whalers he looks very impressive, plays a nice physical game and makes a lot of plays.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:28 PM
Sonny Crockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJWhaler View Post
Let's not forget Payne is on that line with Trocheck and Hartman the 3 of them together give a nice dynamic with size, speed, and grit. After watching Trocheck in the WJC and the last 2 games with the Whalers he looks very impressive, plays a nice physical game and makes a lot of plays.
I have to agree with you. Things are going to get interesting for the Whalers.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:50 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

I saw on the NHL Network that Noesen and Wilson have been officially sent back to Plymouth. No word yet on Rakell.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:56 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Anaheim reassigned several players yesterday, including sending John Gibson back to Kitchener. Rakell was not one of the players, though. Could he be getting a 5 game trial to start the NHL season?

Old
01-17-2013, 10:14 AM
Force951

vCash: 50
Quote:
Anaheim reassigned several players yesterday, including sending John Gibson back to Kitchener. Rakell was not one of the players, though. Could he be getting a 5 game trial to start the NHL season?
Sounds like he is getting a shot at a 4th line spot. I would expect him to get sent down after a few games, but if he impresses there is a chance he could stay.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:57 AM
gowhalers

Rackell gets a taste in Anaheim and Wilson and Noesen are back. Lets hope that this is the beginning of a good run for the team. Uriva will play tonight, should be interesting to see what the plan is for him. Not much of a point getter so not sure where he fits in unless he is a guy who likes to throw the body around. I am thinking Noesen - Meurs - Lorentz, Wilson - Heard - Mistele, Troceck - Hartman - Payne.
Could be totally wrong... we will see. Maybe Ned gets the start??

Old
01-18-2013, 04:56 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Yes, Rakell is on the active roster that Anaheim submitted for the start of the season, so he is at least getting a chance to stick with the Ducks. Their fifth game is Tuesday, January 29th, so we will know after that game whether Rakell will be coming back at all or staying in the NHL for the rest of the season.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:52 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

The Whalers came out flat again last night, playing one of the worst periods I've seen in quite awhile. They picked it up in the 2nd period, though, and really came on in the third for a come from behind win. Cody Payne was a scratch for the game.

While I do not normally like bashing an opposing team or player, I have to say that Mississauga's Craig Hottot played one of the dirtiest games I have ever seen in the OHL. First, he starts pounding on Mitchell Heard, who had no intent to fight him, and received a double minor for roughing (which could have been a 5 minute major for fighting). Later, he sucker punches / spears another Whaler in the stomach (Wilson, I believe) well after the whistle and gets a 10 minute misconduct. Finally, after the game's final whistle, he goes after another Whaler (Heard again, I think), and gets a game misconduct for spearing.

Hopefully this thug gets a nice long suspension.

Last edited by Whalers Fan: 01-19-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old
01-19-2013, 07:25 AM
massey

Quote:
The Whalers came out flat again last night, playing one of the worst periods I've seen in quite awhile. They picked it up in the 2nd period, though, and really came on in the third for a come from behind win. Cody Payne was a scratch for the game.

While I do not normally like bashing an opposing team or player, I have to say that Mississauga's Craig Hottot played one of the dirtiest games I have ever seen in the OHL. First, he starts pounding on Mitchell Heard, who had no intent to fight him, and received a double minor for roughing (which could have been a 5 minute major for fighting). Later, he sucker punches / spears another Whaler in the stomach (Wilson, I believe) well after the whistle and gets a 10 minute misconduct. Finally, after the game's final whistle, he goes after another Whaler (Heard again, I think), and gets a game misconduct for spearing.

Hopefully this thug gets a nice long suspension.
Sorry to hear that,I would love to see that also.That is why I was glad to see him quit sarnia.Stupid stupid penalities.And to think the sting traded Charilliti to Owen Sound and keep that Jacka__ as one of their O/A.Dumbest move they have made this year and really Charilliti could have made the sting a threat.Good luck Whalers

Old
01-19-2013, 08:57 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Anyone thinking the Whalers will make a run in the playoffs just needed to watch tonight's game to know why they won't -- goaltending. Mahalak was horrible, allowing several weak goals when the team needed him in a close game, turning it into a blowout.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:46 PM
CBJWhaler

Nice W today for the Whalers nice to see the 3rd line step up and play well. The week coming up is a big week for us with Windsor on Thursday, and Sarnia Friday, and Saturday.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

There were 25 NHL scouts at Compuware for today's matinee. If they were there to see Connor McDavid, they came away disappointed, as the entire Erie team failed to show up.

Tom Wilson is listed as being suspended indefinitely on the OHL website for his game misconduct on Saturday night. That's not good with back to back games against Sarnia coming up this weekend.

Curiously, Mississauga's Hottot was not on the suspended list. How can that be after his despicable performance on Friday night? That guy appeared to be intentionally trying to hurt players.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:20 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

Quote:
There were 25 NHL scouts at Compuware for today's matinee. If they were there to see Connor McDavid, they came away disappointed, as the entire Erie team failed to show up.

Tom Wilson is listed as being suspended indefinitely on the OHL website for his game misconduct on Saturday night. That's not good with back to back games against Sarnia coming up this weekend.

Curiously, Mississauga's Hottot was not on the suspended list. How can that be after his despicable performance on Friday night? That guy appeared to be intentionally trying to hurt players.
Wow only read about the games this weekend, sounds like a **** storm.

Was at the Erie game, what a routing. The Whalers never backed off either, kept pounding away mercilessly. I was reminded of a hockey truth: when you're weaker and play poorly, getting hemmed in your zone, you don't just take penalties but injuries occur too. I saw many Otters limping to the bench because they were getting just hammered with shots and pressure.

Noesen is so emotional, almost to a fault. He was on his back regularly because he's trying to dive through players, dive to get pucks. He is a wild-man. I laughed because it took every fiber of discipline for him to not retaliate to several punches thrown his way. Good for him.

Uvira is a good hockey player! He has a big frame and some skill too. He plays completely confident, not what I expected. I'm sure he's overjoyed to be with the Whales now and I like his presence. I'm not into fighting but his brawl was epic. Both teams skated to the box to commend their respective fighters!

Near the end complete chaos erupted. Erie players start raining punches on Noesen and company. Totally idiotic. Hartman had to wrestle down a player but for a while there was not enough linesman...the two got up and Hartman had to continue to defend himself from this goon. That's when things could get scary in my book. These kids don't have the control like most pros and in a full brawl with not enough refs to cover it I could imagine some real dirty stuff going down.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:41 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
Noesen is so emotional, almost to a fault. He was on his back regularly because he's trying to dive through players, dive to get pucks. He is a wild-man. I laughed because it took every fiber of discipline for him to not retaliate to several punches thrown his way. Good for him.
He drives the same way. During his suspension, he followed us into the parking lot before one of the games, and I thought we were going to get run over.

Old
01-23-2013, 11:30 AM
gowhalers

As per OHL media notes - Wilson gets 5 games. Eligible to return Feb 2.

Old
01-23-2013, 02:18 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowhalers View Post
As per OHL media notes - Wilson gets 5 games. Eligible to return Feb 2.
...and nothing for Craig Hottot. I just do not understand this.

Closed Thread