HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Canadiens own young, skilled group at major junior level

Old
11-20-2012, 04:00 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Montreal Canadiens own young, skilled group at major junior level

The Montreal Canadiens have seven prospects at the junior level this year; two in the OHL, two in the QJMHL, and three in the WHL. Five of the seven prospects are forwards and the other two are defensemen. The forwards are a skilled mix of size, speed, playmaking ability, and natural scorers that are led by Montreal's 2012 first round selection, Alex Galchenyuk. Both defensemen possess a blend of size, grit, and physicality along with good offensive skills.

OHL

Alex Galchenyuk, C, Sarnia Sting
Acquired: 1st round, 3rd overall, 2012

Galchenyuk started slowly out of the blocks for the Sarnia Sting in the OHL, which was to be expected with the big forward missing all but eight games in 2011-12.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 04:56 PM
sharks9

Enjoyed the read. I'm disapointed that Thrower hasn't done that well so far but he has a lot of time to turn it around. Plus the play of our later picks like Bozon, Hudon, and Vail makes me not mind as much.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 05:10 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Didn't realize that Chicoutimi went winless without Hudon. Wow.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:52 PM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Didn't realize that Chicoutimi went winless without Hudon. Wow.
Shows how important he is to that team.

Great read.

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:44 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Its truly incredible that we managed to get Hudon with that 5th rounder. He'll be a NHLer for sure. Such a talented and hard working player and he's not even that small at 5'11'' if he can bulk up.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Andy

I still think that the obsession with toughness and size around the league really allowed us to pick up "smaller" skilled guys like Hudon, Collberg and Bozon. You can never have too much skill on a team.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:55 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I still think that the obsession with toughness and size really allowed us to pick up "smaller" skilled guys like Hudon, Collberg and Bozon. You can never have too much skill on a team.
Bozon isnt small though.

already 6'1 195lbs, at his maturity he'll likely be 6'2 210

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:21 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Bozon isnt small though.

He's french, as in really french, tho. Imagine if his name was Gregor McToughness and he was from Saskatchewan. First rounder for sure

I'm kidding, I hope nobody takes this seriously.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:26 PM
wedge

I'm happy with the development of our junior players, but Archambault.. meh.. so much talent being wasted. It doesn't look like he'll even get a contract at the end of the season.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Bozon isnt small though.

That is why I put "small" in quotations. With the recent discourse in hockey if you aren't a 6'2 bruiser, you're small.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Et le But

Well it is true small guys like Hudon will need to be more careful at the next level. Hudon isn't that small but he doesn't have a particularly big frame. But skill can overcome size, and there's just as much of a risk drafting physical monsters in junior who end up having physically peaked already and will lose all effectiveness without the ability to bully 16 year olds.

I'm happy with how this team has been drafting. I wouldn't call Hudon a lock to make the NHL, especially if he keeps getting injured because that's the only way to stop him, but his development is more than you can ask for right now. Archambault I'm less enthusiastic about because I don't think he has high hockey IQ, but he's far from a lost cause.

PS: Is that trolling comment by Maryann Jamison the same "maryannhabs" who used to post about how Collberg is the next Ben Maxwell?

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:50 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Well it is true small guys like Hudon will need to be more careful at the next level. Hudon isn't that small but he doesn't have a particularly big frame. But skill can overcome size, and there's just as much of a risk drafting physical monsters in junior who end up having physically peaked already and will lose all effectiveness without the ability to bully 16 year olds.

I'm happy with how this team has been drafting. I wouldn't call Hudon a lock to make the NHL, especially if he keeps getting injured because that's the only way to stop him, but his development is more than you can ask for right now. Archambault I'm less enthusiastic about because I don't think he has high hockey IQ, but he's far from a lost cause.

PS: Is that trolling comment by Maryann Jamison the same "maryannhabs" who used to post about how Collberg is the next Ben Maxwell?
I wouldn't doubt it

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:53 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

Best part of this whole article is the first comment:

Quote:
Ten years of Trevor Timons Busts seem to be enough for Canadiens fans, Montreal Gazette and Hockey Inside/Out articles are saying if his latest group of prospects fails, he's a goner. Timmons has to be the most overrated scouting director in hockey..After all, the team keeps signing free agents so how good can his prospects really be.
If you click on her name and scroll through her facebook profile, all you read is her bashing Timmins, or Americans. What a loser.

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Et le But

Yeah, sounds like the same Maryannhabs who was here just to tell us how all Habs prospects were busts.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 03:19 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
That is why I put "small" in quotations. With the recent discourse in hockey if you aren't a 6'2 bruiser, you're small.
ahh good point!

Agree with FlyingKostitsyn as well, if he was a "good old Canadian kid" he would have went first round. Probably a Flyer or Bruin pick.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 03:39 PM
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
Shows how important he is to that team.

Great read.
Thank you everyone for reading my Junior Update article. I appreciate the feedback! Comment to the article on the HF site will be answered if they are worthy. Trolling or comments meant to bash someone or insulting, I won't tolerate or reply to. I think Dan W. answered well enough that there's no need to respond any more.

If anyone has any questions concerning my article, please ask away and I will happily try to answer everyone right here or in the comment section of the article.

Let's hope the NHL lockout ends soon!

David Thicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 06:06 PM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
He's french, as in really french, tho. Imagine if his name was Gregor McToughness and he was from Saskatchewan. First rounder for sure

I'm kidding, I hope nobody takes this seriously.
What kills the stereotype is the fact that France is pretty darn top level at Rugby

You gotta be quite the badass to play that "sport".

From what I heard, Bozon isn't a big meaty and aggresive guy, but he's neither soft nor shy.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 07:27 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
Best part of this whole article is the first comment:

If you click on her name and scroll through her facebook profile, all you read is her bashing Timmins, or Americans. What a loser.
I've seen that name attached to that comment on multiple sites in the last week. Good times.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Spitsfan67*

I have season tickets to The Windsor Spitfires and im a big Habs Fan ive been down to Montreal to watch a couple games and i love everything about Montreal its a great City, your 4th Round Selection Brady Vail plays for us down here in Windsor and i know he isnt on a lot of habs fans radars probably but he will turn out to be a very good 3rd fourth line Center down the road for you, hes a great defensive forward that really takes pride in playing against top lines and shuting them down, he also can put up points as he is averaging a point a game down here in Windsor and our team is very bad this season offensively, every year there has been a steady progression and the Habs stole him in the 4th round he put up 52 points last year in 68 games on a very bad spits team and finished +1, i think once he gets his chance to shine he will grow on alot of habs fans.

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/roster/show/id/7368

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote