HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Jake Walman - Providence College, NCAA (2014, 82nd overall, St. Louis)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-04-2014, 04:17 PM
  #1
Larry Hoover
Registered User
 
Larry Hoover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 913
vCash: 500
D Jake Walman - Providence College, NCAA (2014, 82nd overall, St. Louis)

Anyone have a report on this guy...Comparisons? Projections? Insanely skilled forward who was tiny and converted to D just a few years ago and is now a Providence commit. Now he's like 6'1 175, put on a ton of muscle but still has a lot of room for growth.

Was told Toronto and STL really like him.

Thoughts?

Larry Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 04:21 PM
  #2
johnny_rudeboy
Registered User
 
johnny_rudeboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Karlstad
Country: Sweden
Posts: 11,004
vCash: 500
Not really. Only I could find

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/player/jake-walman/21370/

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/jake-walman/

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 04:28 PM
  #3
Rare Jewel
Patience
 
Rare Jewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hoover View Post
Anyone have a report on this guy...Comparisons? Projections? Insanely skilled forward who was tiny and converted to D just a few years ago and is now a Providence commit. Now he's like 6'1 175, put on a ton of muscle but still has a lot of room for growth.

Was told Toronto and STL really like him.

Thoughts?
By whom?

I'm not surprised, He seems like a Morrison type of player.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 08:18 PM
  #4
Larry Hoover
Registered User
 
Larry Hoover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
By whom?

I'm not surprised, He seems like a Morrison type of player.
Can't say in public, mod can PM me to verify.

Anyone who watched him able to give a report?

He started working out 6 months ago and went up 20lbs from 165-185 and is 6'1. Plenty of time for him to continue to get bigger in the NCAA.

Larry Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 09:02 PM
  #5
Kulemon
Registered User
 
Kulemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,411
vCash: 500
Button has him ranked 59 in his final rankings.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 09:57 PM
  #6
bigbadbruins7
Registered User
 
bigbadbruins7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 1,978
vCash: 500
As a Friars fan I really hope he stays with the NCAA route as from what I've read he would get plenty of ice time hi first year and Providence could really use his skillset from what I've read. Hopefully drafted by a team that wants to give him a few years to fill out and develop

bigbadbruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 01:59 AM
  #7
Leidi J
Registered User
 
Leidi J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Grd Rapids, Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 3,879
vCash: 500
"Walman makes good decisions with the puck, whether it be carrying or passing. He is still growing, but has shown good offensive instincts with glimpses of PP QB potential. A great skater with speed and acceleration, Walman’s lateral mobility is also a plus. With a good shot to boot, Walman is also an athletic specimen, which has greatly added his position transition."

Leidi J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 11:18 AM
  #8
Larry Hoover
Registered User
 
Larry Hoover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leidi J View Post
"Walman makes good decisions with the puck, whether it be carrying or passing. He is still growing, but has shown good offensive instincts with glimpses of PP QB potential. A great skater with speed and acceleration, Walman’s lateral mobility is also a plus. With a good shot to boot, Walman is also an athletic specimen, which has greatly added his position transition."
NHL player comp? Gardiner?

Larry Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 08:30 AM
  #9
Skid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 640
vCash: 500
Not even in the top 3 '96 born players in OJHL.

Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 09:08 AM
  #10
Larry Hoover
Registered User
 
Larry Hoover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid View Post
Not even in the top 3 '96 born players in OJHL.
If you watch the OJHL, who are the top 3 and what are your overall thoughts on him?

Larry Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 09:21 AM
  #11
Skid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 640
vCash: 500
Prapavessis and Seney are light years ahead of him. So maybe he is #3 in the league.
Does everything well but nothing great to be honest. He's a stand out cause he's team is very weak

Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 11:57 AM
  #12
Larry Hoover
Registered User
 
Larry Hoover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid View Post
Prapavessis and Seney are light years ahead of him. So maybe he is #3 in the league.
Does everything well but nothing great to be honest. He's a stand out cause he's team is very weak
Interesting. You're the first person I've heard say he's not the clear cut best OJHL guy this year.

Larry Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 12:06 PM
  #13
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune
 
SeanLafortune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hoover View Post
Anyone have a report on this guy...Comparisons? Projections? Insanely skilled forward who was tiny and converted to D just a few years ago and is now a Providence commit. Now he's like 6'1 175, put on a ton of muscle but still has a lot of room for growth.

Was told Toronto and STL really like him.

Thoughts?
He actually played defence growing up. Switched to forward at bantam when he was with the Red Wings and moved back in Midget. It probably did him well, hes a much more offensively aggressive player now. I do think the needs to calm it down a bit, be more strategic with his decisions, but the long term upside is pretty impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hoover View Post
Interesting. You're the first person I've heard say he's not the clear cut best OJHL guy this year.
Walman will be a second round pick, just a matter of where. Growth that he has left in his game will dictate that. Prapavessis is similar, not quite as raw, maybe a little lower ceiling but talented regardless. Id prject 4-5th round, but was quite impressive in the second half. Seney is a good Jr. A player but probably not a pick at this point, lack of size and strength, skill level probably won't translate well to the next level. Jake Evans of the St. Michael's Buzzers has a better chance to be a late round pick.

SeanLafortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2014, 08:20 AM
  #14
Skid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
Walman will be a second round pick, just a matter of where. Growth that he has left in his game will dictate that. Prapavessis is similar, not quite as raw, maybe a little lower ceiling but talented regardless. Id prject 4-5th round, but was quite impressive in the second half. Seney is a good Jr. A player but probably not a pick at this point, lack of size and strength, skill level probably won't translate well to the next level. Jake Evans of the St. Michael's Buzzers has a better chance to be a late round pick.
Jake Evans won't do as well as Seney at the next level. Evans took a real step back this year in my opinion.


Last edited by Woodhouse: 06-07-2014 at 12:06 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag
Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2014, 01:26 PM
  #15
snipetype
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 760
vCash: 500
I hope the Flames get him. We already have Gillies, Jankowski and Gilmour playing there.

snipetype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 09:01 AM
  #16
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,851
vCash: 50
Awards:
Here's some more insight on Walman:

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/06/...0-jake-walman/

__________________
Shawn Wilken,
Head of Hockey Department
LastWordOnSports.com


Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 02:05 PM
  #17
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner
 
LastWordArmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hoover View Post
Interesting. You're the first person I've heard say he's not the clear cut best OJHL guy this year.
Walman won every individual player award there was to win in the OJHL. He's a clearly a step above any other player in this league. Not sure why the other poster is saying he wasn't top 3... thats ridiculous.

LastWordArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 12:02 PM
  #18
Larry Hoover
Registered User
 
Larry Hoover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 913
vCash: 500
He's taking summer courses at Providence, there's no chance he goes to the OHL next season but would it be better for his development?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
Here's some more insight on Walman:

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/06/...0-jake-walman/

Good read. He's already put on a ton of weight since the season ended, I figure he's up to ~195 in a few years when he's completely filled out.

Larry Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 11:30 PM
  #19
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 16,926
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hoover View Post
He's taking summer courses at Providence, there's no chance he goes to the OHL next season but would it be better for his development?
If he were my team's prospect I'd prefer Providence, though at the end of the day you can't ever say one place is better than another for a specific prospect except in retrospect. Providence is a strong program right now. Anyone going there is in safe hands. I look forward to seeing how Buffalo's Anthony Florentino continues to grow there. I imagine Calgary fans feel good about the growth of their guys there as well.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 02:12 AM
  #20
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner
 
LastWordArmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hoover View Post
He's taking summer courses at Providence, there's no chance he goes to the OHL next season but would it be better for his development?

Good read. He's already put on a ton of weight since the season ended, I figure he's up to ~195 in a few years when he's completely filled out.
Really can't say where a kid will go until after he's drafted. While an NHL team can't choose where he goes... it could be strongly suggested by management that he takes one route or the other.

LastWordArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 04:46 PM
  #21
bigbadbruins7
Registered User
 
bigbadbruins7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 1,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
If he were my team's prospect I'd prefer Providence, though at the end of the day you can't ever say one place is better than another for a specific prospect except in retrospect. Providence is a strong program right now. Anyone going there is in safe hands. I look forward to seeing how Buffalo's Anthony Florentino continues to grow there. I imagine Calgary fans feel good about the growth of their guys there as well.
As a Providence fan I am a little biased but I would have to agree with you. Providence right now is a good program but still on the rise. They play against tough competition almost every weekend and the college schedule will give him plenty of time in the weight room. Also, Providence is a team that stresses defense so there should be no concern that his own end play will improve with a solid coaching staff.

bigbadbruins7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 07:09 PM
  #22
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
If he were my team's prospect I'd prefer Providence, though at the end of the day you can't ever say one place is better than another for a specific prospect except in retrospect. Providence is a strong program right now. Anyone going there is in safe hands. I look forward to seeing how Buffalo's Anthony Florentino continues to grow there. I imagine Calgary fans feel good about the growth of their guys there as well.
I think Florentino is one of the more under the radar prospects around.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 10:52 PM
  #23
Neugs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 59
vCash: 500
As someone that saw both Prapavessis and Walman quite extensively this past year, the statement that Praps is ahead now and Walman could be ahead in future is definitely true. Prapavessis was the best skater (as in not goalie) in the OJHL this past year and while Walman has loads of raw talent, I really don't see it as enough to make him as necessarily a surefire NHL prospect. Praps has to become a better skater, and he has to add snarl (and the muscle to go with it), but he has hockey IQ in absolute spades. Walman will ride the hype machine to a much higher pick, but I'd rather pass on him and take Praps later, if I'm interested an OJHL defenceman in this draft.

Neugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 10:54 PM
  #24
Neugs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 59
vCash: 500
PS I like Joe Seney, don't get me wrong, but draft prospect is questionable in my mind right now. Jake Evans will probably go somewhere very late, I agree.

Neugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.