HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC on Fuel: Struve vs Miocic

Old
09-29-2012, 06:51 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
Yea, I'm a big fan of Stipe's as well. He looked good early in the fight, but you can definitely tell that he has room to grow. Losses often seem to make these guys better though.
Yup, I'm not worried about his future chances. I still feel he can work his way into a title shot.

Though, no one is getting by JDS in this current crop.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 09:14 AM
Fanpuck33

Bummed that Stipe lost, especially after controlling things for most of round 1. Of course, I shouldn't be that surprised Struve turned it around in the 2nd, as he's done that a number of times. Once he finally found the range on those hard jabs, it was all over. If Struve is finally learning how to use his size to keep guys on the outside like he did in the 2nd, he's going to be dangerous. Granted, the same thing has been said about him for years.

Fanpuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
Good win for Struve, but he still gets tagged way too much. The 2nd round was the first time I've ever seen him establish his range.
A big step for Struve! As long as I've been high on the kid you guys have been talking about him not using his size to his advantage, a glimmer of hope finally.

The guys is only 24, if he continues to work on that jab & pack more weight on, he will be a force. Imagine a 29 year old Struve who cuts to 265, dangerous.

Worth noting after the complaining after the Toronto card: Pickett & peralta finished in dominant fashion, they are small "slappers".

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 10:32 AM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
A big step for Struve! As long as I've been high on the kid you guys have been talking about him not using his size to his advantage, a glimmer of hope finally.

The guys is only 24, if he continues to work on that jab & pack more weight on, he will be a force. Imagine a 29 year old Struve who cuts to 265, dangerous.

Worth noting after the complaining after the Toronto card: Pickett & peralta finished in dominant fashion, they are small "slappers".
I think his age needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Yeah he's only 24, but he's also been in 30 professional fights and takes a lot of damage in most of the ones I've seen.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 10:55 AM
Captain_Cunney

That's true but the shots don't usually start taking their toll til the body starts aging and breaking down.

The shots he has taken have more to do with who threw them, other than those heavy hitters he showed a real strong beard. Even last night, he ate shots from a high level boxer and kept going.

I have a hard time looking at 30 pro fights @24 as anything but an accomplishment.

Last edited by Captain_Cunney: 09-30-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old
09-30-2012, 11:07 AM
DeathFromAbove

I'm not saying it isn't an accomplishment, I'm just saying the damage that 30 training camps does to your body means he's not really a "24 year old".

Look at Wanderlei. He fought an obscene amount of times and his body started to break down in his very early 30s. Shogun is another example.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 06:11 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
I'm not saying it isn't an accomplishment, I'm just saying the damage that 30 training camps does to your body means he's not really a "24 year old".

Look at Wanderlei. He fought an obscene amount of times and his body started to break down in his very early 30s. Shogun is another example.
That was bare fist vale tudo, three fights in one night stuff. Big difference.

Struve has been improving. This was a big test for him and he passed with flying colours.

You cant say it is affecting him until it starts affecting him.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 06:12 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post

Duly noted. I enjoyed those fights.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 03:09 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Damn, I did terrible with my picks.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2012, 08:16 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Duly noted. I enjoyed those fights.
Old one punch Pickett is really growing on me. He seems like a real solid guy and is a hell of an exciting fighter. I hope he works his way into a title shot against Cruz eventually...

Old
10-01-2012, 03:32 PM
DaaaaB's

Pretty fun card to watch. Loved the KO by Pickett.

Struve looked really good in the 2nd round. He could be a force in the near future.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote